Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Ronaldo Wants More in this grip of Recession

Read 2674 times
      MsGerrard
      Ronaldo Wants More in this grip of Recession
      Nov 18, 2008 11:02:21 pm
      We're in the grip of recession and Ronaldo just wants more

Last updated at 10:56 PM on 15th November 2008

I want to transport you inside the brain of Cristiano Ronaldo, an expanse of cerebral fluid that roughly equates to that of a male Dicopomorpha echmepterygis, the world's smallest insect (they're blind, wingless, parasitic wasps).

You will recall how this pizzafaced Portugese goon led Manchester United on a merry little dance all summer with his outrageous 'It is my dream, a step forward' flirtation with Real Madrid.

Since he decided to stay, or rather since his boss (I can't reveal the manager's name as he is currently banned from this column) pointed out that he could either honour his contract or rot in the reserves, young Cristiano has behaved with all the petulance you'd imagine from an overly cocky, unusually stupid footballer.

Greedy boy; Can't Ronaldo understand that he must show a bit of remorse for his flirtations with Real Madrid before fans forgive him?
      His form has been patchy (freekicks against Stoke don't count), his body language sulky and his general demeanour has consistently screamed: 'I should have gone to Madrid.'

United fans have continued to support him, but not with quite the idolatory fervour they showed last season, when he scored 42 goals and won them the Premiership and Champions League. It's the same at the Emirates with Emmanuel Adebayor, who lost his special bond with Arsenal fans after his own appalling 'Come and get me Barcelona and AC Milan' antics in the close season.

Football fans, the real ones, know when they've been disrespected.

So you might expect Ronaldo's advisers to have a quiet word in his pock-marked, diamond-studded ear, suggesting a few things to help repair the relationship. Some high-profile hospital visits in Manchester, perhaps? Or a large personal donation to a favoured fans' charity? Even a really sincere, honest, self-critical 'I was a greedy, selfish b*****d and I'm sorry' interview with a newspaper might do the trick.
      But no. His advisers had a better idea: 'Cristiano, let's go public and demand a £50,000-a-week pay rise!'

Now, think about the timing of that decision for a moment. Britain is in the grip of the worst recession for a century. Millions of people are facing negative equity in their homes, the threat of losing their jobs and the very real fear of not being able to feed their kids.

And as they wake at 6am, stressed and exhausted from the sheer unrelenting strain of this terrible credit crunch, they turn on the TV for some light relief and hear that Cristiano Ronaldo wants another £2.6 million a year on top of his existing £6.2m-a-year, five-year contract. Or he'll pack up his expensive toys and leave.

'It is normal that a footballer wants a deal to go with his status and one that matches his performances on the field,' explained his agent.

Hmm, let's analyse that statement, shall we? Ronaldo has been, by his standards, pretty average all season and his 'status' in most people's eyes is currently residing several miles south of Ashey Cole (a position I never thought it possible to occupy).

This sickening new pay demand confirms everything I suspected about Cristiano Ronaldo. He's a brilliant footballer, but he's also a shallow, grasping, self-obsessed wastrel whose thoughts about fidelity could be written on the back of a grain of rice.

United may be one of my least favourite teams on the planet, but I'll say this about them: they're a fantastically successful club, with a wonderful history and a terrifically loyal, passionate set of fans.

They don't need this arrogant twerp running rings around them any more, however well he runs rings round opposing teams. The manager who can't be named should take Ronaldo's latest request for 50 per cent more credit...and crunch him.

*************************************************************************************************

I had a good laugh when I read that.............greedy swine.

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Ronaldo Wants More in this grip of Recession
      Reply #1: Nov 18, 2008 11:55:42 pm
      Fantastic article. I've always hated that tw*t.

United should just tear up his contract.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #2: Nov 19, 2008 12:42:54 am
      Fantastic article. I've always hated that tw*t.

United should just tear up his contract.
      I wish they would , but they wont.  I hate that winking tw*t as well.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #3: Nov 19, 2008 09:18:34 am
      Looking on the flip side, if United paid him the extra money it would be an extra £1.2 million in to the UK's tax coffers a year?

There's nothing wrong with requesting a pay rise in your job if you're performing well.  I'd imagine since his last renogotiation that Ronaldo has improved for United and as somebody said, scored 42 goals last season to help them to the title and European Cup.

If he went United would be a far lesser side.

Don't get me wrong - he's still a pr**k - just trying to look at it from the other side.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #4: Nov 21, 2008 01:29:04 pm
      Ronaldo must think Credit Crunch is a type of new Breakfast Cereal.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #5: Nov 21, 2008 04:13:19 pm
      Looking on the flip side, if United paid him the extra money it would be an extra £1.2 million in to the UK's tax coffers a year?

There's nothing wrong with requesting a pay rise in your job if you're performing well.  I'd imagine since his last renogotiation that Ronaldo has improved for United and as somebody said, scored 42 goals last season to help them to the title and European Cup.

Don't get me wrong - he's still a pr**k - just trying to look at it from the other side.

In a way you're right, as United would have finished fifth without him last season - but he's an egotistical little bugger and they really annoy me.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #6: Nov 21, 2008 07:09:07 pm
      I'm glad my cat sh*ts on him in her litter tray  :D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #7: Nov 21, 2008 07:42:18 pm
      I'm glad my cat sh*ts on him in her litter tray  :D

You've got Ronaldo INSIDE your house? Shame on you. ;)
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #8: Nov 22, 2008 07:57:15 am

I have to agree with JD on this one, ManU would not be the same side with out him, and they wont to hold on to him at any cost.
      He is a silly pr**k sometimes, BUT he is one of the best footballers in the world today.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Nov 22, 2008 12:43:45 pm
      Fergie sell him? Never! He said no to 80 million, why would he tear his contract up a mere few months later? He will hold on to him as long as possible and sell him for as much as he can, which lets face it will be tipping three figure millions with his 'he's not for sale attitude'.

Absolute cu*ts though, the lot of them.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #10: Nov 22, 2008 01:24:54 pm
      He's a greedy tosser, what's new?

I hope he gets his pay rise, maybe it might cause a few more arguments in the dressing room. The more rifts there are between their players off the pitch, the more their game is going to suffer on it.
      kdz
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #11: Dec 01, 2008 07:16:23 pm
      Just what I was thinking....
      He's a greedy tosser, what's new?

I hope he gets his pay rise, maybe it might cause a few more arguments in the dressing room. The more rifts there are between their players off the pitch, the more their game is going to suffer on it.
      Dangerous Dave
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts |
      Reply #12: Dec 01, 2008 10:49:22 pm
      Good on you portuguese prat. Anyhing that unsettles the scum is just fine with me.

Quick Reply