Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Ballon D'or Award a big boost

Read 998 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Ballon D'or Award a big boost
      Dec 04, 2008 12:07:01 pm
      TORRES: BALLON D'OR AWARD A BIG BOOST
      Paul Eaton 04 December 2008

Fernando Torres today insisted finishing third in the World Footballer of the Year awards will spur him on when he returns from injury.

Torres is currently recovering from another hamstring setback, with boss Rafael Benitez refusing to set a timescale for his star striker's return.

But after only finishing behind Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi in this year's Ballon D'Or awards, the Spanish striker admits the recognition of his incredible debut year at Anfield has given him a massive confidence boost.

"The award is an important recognition," he said. "It comes at a time when I am recovering from injury, and the accolade will spur me on.

"The injury is a bit worrying because it has happened to me before. Now the only thing to do is to get on with the rehabilitation and make sure that I come back when I am ready and not too soon. This prize is a massive reward that obliges me keep on working on my recovery.

"The year 2008 has been an extraordinary one for me, both on a personal and a team level. I would like to thank my team-mates from the Liverpool squad and the Spanish national team for their help.

"Their support was both important and necessary, and their contribution is one of the reasons why today, I can enjoy this amazing experience."

As well as finishing third in the Ballon D'Or, Torres has made the FIFPro starting XI and has been nominated for the FIFA World Player award.

"This has been my best year as a professional footballer," he admitted. "But my aim is to improve with every year that passes.

"I don't look back, but set my sights on doing things right so that come 2009, I can be one of the candidates again, and so that next time, I can try and go one step further.

"The hardest part is not getting there, it's staying there.

"Look at Gerrard. He has never won the award, and he deserves it as much as anyone, but he is always there with the best. My team-mate Stevie is the best role model there is."

Torres added: "I adapted to English football easier than expected.

"We knew that, when I embarked upon this adventure, my style and attributes would adapt well to the demands of the Premier League.

"We made the right choice when it came to signing for Liverpool and playing in England.

"Last season we almost qualified for the Champions League final, and it was a shame that we didn't make it all the way to Moscow.

"And as for Spain national team, what can I say? The trophy we achieved playing as a team has catapulted the players into a position where we are challenging for individual awards and prizes."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Well done Fernando, you deserve it. Little gutted he didn't get 1st though. Wonderful achievements in his first season in English football while Ronaldo has been there for about 5 years. Torres to win it soon ,anyone? ;)
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Re: Ballon D'or Award a big boost
      Reply #1: Dec 04, 2008 05:17:27 pm
      I just want him back as soon as possible!

Let's hope just hope he can sort out his hamstring so it doesn't keep getting injured.

Then yes Torres will definitely win it..along with other awards. :D
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #2: Dec 04, 2008 05:34:05 pm
      Well done Fernando Torres you should have got first as this being your first season here and in a new country makes it an even greater achievement.

Today Setanta Sports said Nando will be out till new-year, if true it could be anything from Dec.to Jan. before we see him playing again...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #3: Dec 04, 2008 07:02:46 pm
      Sky were worse, out for the rest of the year!

Couldn't say 4 weeks, couldn't say a month, had to go for the sensationalist angle.

If someone had only caught a bit, it might sound like he's out for a year, coronary's everywhere!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,910 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4: Dec 04, 2008 10:04:56 pm
      Congratulations Fernando, gutted you didn't come first this season mate but you got plenty of years ahead of you in a Liverpool shirt to win it a few times.  ;D
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #5: Dec 04, 2008 10:47:42 pm
      scoring the winning goal in the final of the European championship and having the impact he did in his first season in the premiership is worthy of top spot.

anyway Messi is miles better than Rollaroundo....
      MsGerrard
      Reply #6: Dec 04, 2008 11:50:45 pm
      Well Done Nando.

You'll always be a winner in my eyes.

Proud that you play for LFC.

Quick Reply