Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Eyes of the Media: Big Four now Big Two?

Read 3312 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Eyes of the Media: Big Four now Big Two?
      Dec 03, 2008 06:23:11 pm
      Most papers, programs and commentators seem to think that Arsenal and Liverpool don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Chelscum and ManUre.

Why is this?

Why do the media keep trying to convince everyone that ManUre and the Chavs are far superior to Arsenal and ourselves? Have they gone blind, or did they miss the fact that both Arsenal and us have beaten ManUre at home and the Chavs away?

Despite all the defeats Arsenal have endured, they still managed to creep back into the top four, again, and demolish Man United. Despite our previous poor seasons, we have also managed to demolish United and the Chavs.

So my question is this - will the Media always be biased against, arguably, the two best teams in the Premiership?

Is this how it will remain for years to come?

What are they trying to achieve by brown-nosing Slur Alex and Scolari?
      TNAwrestling
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts |
      • Cross The Line
      Re: Eyes of the Media: Big Four now Big Two?
      Reply #1: Dec 03, 2008 06:26:36 pm
      even if we do win this season the media will never recognise it as a liverpool victory, but a manure and chavski failure, plain and simply, we cant be assed giving the press 5* treatment
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #2: Dec 03, 2008 08:47:50 pm
      Good point that TNA.

Even if we do win it would all be about the others underperforming.

I suggest we go on a 23 game winning run from now on in. That'll teach 'em!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #3: Dec 03, 2008 08:58:53 pm
      I want us to be the first team to total 100+ pts in the PL. That would prove our power ;)
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,499 posts | 2869 
      Reply #4: Dec 03, 2008 10:02:48 pm
      I just want us to beat Chelsea at home and Manure over at their ground and Arsenal twice. That will teach them.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #5: Dec 03, 2008 10:26:40 pm
      We were even referred to as "The Premiership Leaders" on SSN this morning  :o
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #6: Dec 03, 2008 11:55:19 pm
      We're out of the radar, so that's good. Let United and Chelsea feel the pressure being in the papers all the time about how they're failing to take top spot
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #7: Dec 04, 2008 08:33:05 am
      Its the way it is and the way it has always been (is that from a film?) at the end of the day we have never been fully recognised for our achievements and by now its something I have just got used to.
      In the early days of Fergies reign after he won a couple of titles he was being proclaimed as the greatest manager ever and even the likes of Brian Clough is mentioned by some hacks as the best as their footballing amnesia seems to eradicate all that Sir Bob Paisley ever achieved.

I like being discounted as it makes it all the sweeter when we defy the odds and go on to lift another cup, so leaving the press grovelling around trying to find a believable headline like "we told you so" when really inside they are thinking 'Bast**ds' its them again! ;D
      « Last Edit: Dec 04, 2008 08:39:47 am by Glenbuck »
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #8: Dec 04, 2008 09:16:32 am
      For me it's since the Premier League and Sky got together.  It's as if nothing won pre-1992 actually counts.  We have under-achieved as far as winning it goes - fair enough but we have fighting for honours (albeit not the title) every year.  The papers have just jumped on Sky's  bandwagon.

It's incredible how the media fawn over the Mancs and Chavs - it's not that long ago Chelsea were an average team and I can remember the tw*ts from up the East Lancs being in Div 2 in the 70s and really poor in the early 80s.

As previously said though, I don't give a sh*t what they think, it'll get rammed down their throats at the end of the season.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,262 posts | 2857 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #9: Dec 04, 2008 07:14:39 pm
      Sorry Lads, and Ladies, This is nothing new. when we ruled the world, well Europe, and the First Divison Championship, back in the Seventies and Eighties, When Mancherster United were RELIGATED to the SECOND Division of English Football, there was already a Media Bias towards the Mancs, generally believed to be because the North West Media was based in Manchester, and run by George Best/Bobby Charlton fans. Thus even back then, we were never the darlings of the media.
      Don't loose any sleep over it, just enjoy the fact were are top of the League, and playing Cr*p, and they are not dispite playing Beautiful Attacking Football.
      King Cantona
      • Likes to finish every post with multiple full stops.
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #10: Dec 04, 2008 07:23:39 pm
      Any team that beat United are said to have 'demolished' them?.........

Arsenal beat United but certainly didn't demolish them, that game could have gone either way....

And yes Liverpool beat us deservedly but I wouldn't call that a demolition either.....

Anyway RedPuppy United certainly weren't the media darlings that you say they were in the seventies, Liverpool were feted so much that it got under my skin as well as all the other United fans.......

But I can acknowledge that Liverpool as regular champions deserved it.....
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #11: Dec 04, 2008 07:32:24 pm
      With the 'Don't Buy The S*n' campaign we done the unthinkable.... We stood up to the media!!!!!! We stood up for ourselves!!! We refused to lie down and accept their filthy lies!!! What english  team helped us through that??? Arsenal!!! (Everton deserve some recognition here but they're not a top 4 side) CSKA London and Man Ure have brown nosed the tabloids and thus are media darlings! London press eh? What tossers! They'll need us long before we will need them!!!!
      OBY
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 73 posts | -1 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12: Dec 04, 2008 11:27:09 pm
      well we may have 5 stars in Europe, but the treatment we get from the media is far from that. It's like when your a kid, u don't wanna say something cause your afraid you mite jinx it. well if the media took that attitude, then they must really hate us. Every season they back us when any body can see our side needed strengthening. But as for Ush***d, no-one will ever gain credit against them as long as Taggart is in charge.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #13: Dec 06, 2008 01:13:47 am
      take a look at the big 4 in 1974...only 34 years ago.... what will it look like in another 34 years...probably just like it does today

DIVISION ONE
       Pos  Name                            Pld    W    D    L   GF   GA  Pts
         1  Derby County                     42   21   11   10   67   49   53
         2  Liverpool                            42   20   11   11   60   39   51
         3  Ipswich Town                     42   23    5   14   66   44   51
         4  Everton                              42   16   18    8   56   42   50

erm does anybody notice a consistent team here ...he he
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #14: Dec 06, 2008 01:53:44 am
      But I can acknowledge that Liverpool as regular champions deserved it.....

We certainly did. Well said. Look how long it is since the seventies and still, no one has ever done better....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #15: Dec 06, 2008 02:10:49 am
      take a look at the big 4 in 1974...only 34 years ago.... what will it look like in another 34 years...probably just like it does today

DIVISION ONE
       Pos  Name                            Pld    W    D    L   GF   GA  Pts
         1  Derby County                     42   21   11   10   67   49   53
         2  Liverpool                            42   20   11   11   60   39   51
         3  Ipswich Town                     42   23    5   14   66   44   51
         4  Everton                              42   16   18    8   56   42   50

erm does anybody notice a consistent team here ...he he

Winning the league by winning only half your games and losing around a quarter.

Different world back then.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #16: Dec 08, 2008 05:51:38 pm
      very good point jd

this does show that the league was a lot closer then, and it wasnt just 4 teams in it.... everybody had a chance.
      the fact that money now dictates who can win it is a little sad
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #17: Dec 08, 2008 06:01:27 pm
      Winning the league by winning only half your games and losing around a quarter.

Different world back then.

Bonkers when you look at the top four! No consistency, far too many draws!

And Everton! 4th with only 16 wins! Ridiculous!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #18: Dec 08, 2008 07:44:41 pm
      Losing 11, I bet a minority of Kopites were calling for Shankly's head!

Boooooooooooooooooooo!
      Vedder
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts | -6 
      • Olivavu
      Reply #19: Dec 12, 2008 02:24:33 pm
      The 'Big Four' have been splitting into two pairs in the last few years. United and Chelsea have dominated the title for four years and despite Arsenal's challenge last season, they haven't really seen much competition from them and ourselves in recent seasons. Ok, we've made a good start this time around, but the title race isn't even warming up yet...

Quick Reply