Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Match Thread - Blackburn v Liverpool

Read 29024 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Match Thread - Blackburn v Liverpool
      Reply #230: Dec 06, 2008 05:20:45 pm
      POSITIVES

1) 3points
      2) scored at last
      3) Insua. Looked like he belonged there
      4) Big Sami. True class
      5)  El Zhar and Lucas efforts when they came on
      6) Yossi discovering how to score. Might kickstart his career here now

NEGATIVES

1) 4-5-1 doesnt work without Nando
      2) Rafa seems to stubborn to change it even when it isnt working
      3) Keane. Not coming on cant be good for his confidence
      4) Babel. Lacks desire but as soon as he does something good Rafawhips him off again not good for confidence

Oh and dont forget.......WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE
      crouchysrobot
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 311 posts |
      Reply #231: Dec 06, 2008 05:23:02 pm
      The second half was good, but the first was awful. There wasn't any rhythm or attack, just a lot of poor possession. Kuyt was poor and so was Babel and Benayoun, except for the goal. Defense was solid again except for that goal, I don't what they were doing. Sami was the best player tonight but Gerrard, Reina, and Carra were good as well.

It is nice to win though, I went crazy when Alonso scored because I hadn't seen a goal for over 2 hours of football. I had forgotten what it feels like to score.
      Nabil el Zhar
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | -1 
      Reply #232: Dec 06, 2008 05:30:42 pm

kuyt was selfish today.. there were many balls to pass but keeps them.
      KOPMKD
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts |
      Reply #233: Dec 06, 2008 05:36:48 pm
      "WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED".We are the leaders,thats whats important now,wining without Torres has double value for us,he's simply irreplaceble
      ricohman
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 39 posts |
      Reply #234: Dec 06, 2008 05:53:34 pm
      Well done lads, with chelski winning it just had to be 3 points.
      RedDrog
      • Forum John Toshack

• 264 posts |
      Reply #235: Dec 06, 2008 06:24:55 pm
      Top of the league, can't ask anymore!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #236: Dec 06, 2008 06:28:40 pm
      Top of the league, can't ask anymore!

I'd like a hot chocolate come to think of it ::)
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #237: Dec 06, 2008 06:33:07 pm
      great result today, it was looking a bit sticky at halftime, delighted we got the 3 points to stay TOP OF THE LEAGUE!

insua had a great game today, he should definitely be given a run in the team on the back of that performance.  Stevie looked a bit outta sorts, not his best game, but still got the clincher at the end.

a special mention to the army of reds at ewood today.  to a man they were fantastic.  they did themselves and the team proud.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #238: Dec 06, 2008 06:46:32 pm
      Key players today:

Hyypia - Benanyun - Gerrard - Arbeloa - Mascherano - Alonso - Reina

Alonso scored after some goos passes
      Gerrard distributed the passes
      Where Kuyt was lacking, Benanyun kept on putting the pressure on the defence
      Hyypia was solid in defence
      Arbeloa kept it alive on the wings as Benanyun moved towards the middle.
      Reina? Golden glove!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #239: Dec 06, 2008 07:40:42 pm
      Let's not beat around the bush.

For the first 60 odd minutes we were poor. Again.  Starting out with one up front didn't help, Gerrard was having a mare and was far too defensively placed - not playing the support role at all. 

Sami Hyypia was class - Insua looked like he'd always played there.

Second half we stepped up slowly but getting the goal lifted the pressure not only from the team but from the fans as well.  Interesting couple of minutes after they made it 2-1 but caught them on the break, 3-1 up, thanks very much.

Boss atmosphere before the game and for most of the game as well.  Had a great day out.  Pisses all over Anfield's chips.

I just don't get why the Kop can't be like the Darwen End was today.  I really don't get it.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #240: Dec 06, 2008 07:41:58 pm
      1st on Match of the Day* (to be confimed) so early night for the Santa Dash...Wish me Luck.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #241: Dec 06, 2008 07:48:39 pm
      Oh and dont forget.......WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE

And doesn't it feel good!! It was nice to remind the local residents walking out of the ground!

As JD said at half time, the pressure of being top certainly looks to have an effect - it certainly did in the first half.

Was quite disheartened by the first half performance to be honest. Not many players in red showed the hunger and urgency to help stay top of the league. Gerrard especially. But I thought big Sami was an inspiration throughout. Insua didn't look out of place either.

In the second half there wasn't much improvement and I was gasping for Rafa to stick two up front. Kuyt was having no joy and with Gerrard off form, I was really wondering if we were ever going to score.

Up steps Alonso and the pressure was gone massively. You could feel it in the air and then the reds really started to look like they wanted the win. Must admit I was flapping a bit once they got a goal back but it was only going to be us who were the winners as the game drew to a close.

Benayoun done well for his goal, considering he was poor. Same goes for Stevie. The irony of our season marches on!

Had a great time before and after the game in that pub by the away end. The atmosphere was bouncing - literally!! I wish it was like that for home games. It's a crime that it's not.

Anyway....

LIVERPOOL!! TOP OF THE LEAGUE! LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #242: Dec 06, 2008 07:52:43 pm
      1st on Match of the Day* (to be confimed) so early night for the Santa Dash...Wish me Luck.

Good luck RedPuppy. Run like we're top of the league!  ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #243: Dec 06, 2008 07:56:11 pm
      Massively disappointed in the first half and the first say, 10 minutes of the second. We started to show some grunt after that which was a relief and eventually got the result we needed. In the end its 3 points which is very satisfying so i wont be too critical.

Few poor players out there (both grabbing goals, mind) but some were very spirited. Sami, Emiliano and Xabi the most IMO. Top of the league where we belong so its happy days.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #244: Dec 06, 2008 08:00:01 pm
      It was not very nice to watch but we got the result and we are still top,so who cares.Go and do P.S.V now lads. :)
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #245: Dec 06, 2008 11:26:23 pm
      I was really down after the 1st half, in fact I went to sleep, the game seem to be heading for the draw again.

Some thing strange happened. I seldom dream but I dreamed last night that we won 2-1. I got up to check the results, we WON 3-1. Wow, wow, its been some time before we won a game. That really make my day.

We have won, we are top of the table for 2nd week, although by only one point but still TOP, we want to stay there for sometime. What more can we ask for? Somebody say hot chocolate, I say something better Lager, Brandy or Whiskie?

CHEERS MATE !
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #246: Dec 07, 2008 03:10:21 am
      I think the main point to come out of today was the vulnerability of the top sides, especially when facing up to the "park the bus" tactics now being employed by so many teams who approach matches against top 4 teams with no ambition whatsoever.

In the first half it seemed Liverpool lacked that cutting edge in the final third, despite dominating possession. In fact, up until the 69th minute goal, the best chance of the match had been miraculously deflected off target and onto the crossbar by the Liverpool keeper, who was BBC's man of the match.

Although that was very much against the run of play, it makes you realise just how vulnerable the top sides are. In truth, before Liverpool scored, the match looked for all money a 0-0 draw, and after the goal, Blackburn started to play, creating opportunities galore for Liverpool to rack up the goals.
      At Old Trafford an even bigger bus was parked in front of the goal with Sunderland rarely getting the ball past the half way line. It took 27 attempts on goal and the 91st minute of the game to penetrate that bus. United had Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez, and Ronaldo all on the park together, and yet it took a centre half to break the deadlock. 120 million pounds worth of strikers couldn't penetrate a bus Roy Keane walked away from because it was in such a state of disrepair. At least Liverpool can say their 30 million pound striker was missing,the other one sitting in the stands sadly out of form, and take some consolation from that. 

Back to Liverpool, and although I hear many fans basking in the glory of being top, and making those predictable comments about how winning ugly is ok, I suspect underneath that positive exterior is a compelling desire to see their team finish games off much quicker, and be much more clinical in their approach in the final third. You have to wonder how much of Liverpools pattern of winning games late on is due to attitude, and how much is due to the opponents ability to resist.

The passing in the midfield looks slick, and then the moves break down time and time again in the final third. Not enough balls are coming from deep on the wings, meaning the fullbacks are not pushing forward and taking on defenders down the outside, crossing it in away from the keeper, back across the goal face. On the few occasions that did happen last night, Babel was not in a forward position to take advantage, but also there was a distinct lacking of any midfielders in the box. Are Liverpool paying too much respect to teams like Blackburn, by not getting players forward until the latter stages where sheer desperation drives them forward. It wont always pan out like last night, and before I am convinced that this title can be won by Liverpool, I would like to see these issues addressed.

Liverpool need to start games with more ambition, and push players forward, make more wide runs, and get players into the box. That style of play last night will result in more draws being racked up as the season goes by, potentially killing off yet another dream.
      At this stage some heart can be taken from the fact that rival teams are having just as much trouble killing off games, however, you have to think at some stage either Chelsea or Man Utd will string together a winning run and stamp their authority on the season, so it is imperative that Liverpool sort these problems out sooner rather than later.

My advice is to tell the players when they go out there to imagine they are 1-0 behind when the game starts. With that mindset you will no doubt see a more determined approach from the start. You will see a different "first half" Liverpool.
      « Last Edit: Dec 07, 2008 11:09:02 am by smigger15 »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #247: Dec 07, 2008 10:47:13 am
      For all the picking on Liverpool by MOTD, the reds scored 3 goals away from home to stay top.

Arsenal edged to a 1-0 draw at home.

United got a last minute goal to win 1-0 against managerless Sunderland

and Chelsea were lucky to get away with a couple of handballs in a 2-0 win at Bolton.

Fingers can be pointed at all the top teams this weekend, and in retrospect, Liverpool's result was arguably the best of the pack.  And, we're not playing anywhere near as well as we can!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #248: Dec 07, 2008 11:37:33 am
      For all the picking on Liverpool by MOTD, the reds scored 3 goals away from home to stay top.

and Chelsea were lucky to get away with a couple of handballs in a 2-0 win at Bolton.

Fingers can be pointed at all the top teams this weekend, and in retrospect, Liverpool's result was arguably the best of the pack.  And, we're not playing anywhere near as well as we can!

Didnt see that coming.
      jamsieboy86
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #249: Dec 07, 2008 03:25:38 pm
      For the majority of the match I thought it was going to be nil all. Pleased with the result, the performance wasn't too bad. Very sloppy for their goal, but never looked like conceding a second. I'm disappointed Babel was taken off just as he was getting into the game, hopefully he starts vs PSV.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #250: Dec 07, 2008 03:58:34 pm
      I'm disappointed Babel was taken off just as he was getting into the game, hopefully he starts vs PSV.

Im sure it was something to do with the knock he got
      u1m81
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts | -1 
      Reply #251: Dec 07, 2008 11:39:17 pm
      as much as the play and viewing wasnt excellent, there were no goals from strikers and the performance was again dissapointing, isnt it interesting that we are the team which scored the most goals at the weekend ?!
      ricohman
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 39 posts |
      Reply #252: Dec 08, 2008 09:43:59 am

Spot on, sums up the weekend to a tee  ;D

Quick Reply