Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Van Der Vaart Unhappy. Should We Try To Sign Him?

Read 3515 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Van Der Vaart Unhappy. Should We Try To Sign Him?
      Dec 18, 2008 05:39:42 pm
      I was on skysports.com and found this:

Rafael van der Vaart has admitted to being unhappy at out-of-sorts Spanish giants Real Madrid.

The Dutchman only joined the capital club over the summer, becoming Bernd Schuster's only pre-season acquisition in the process.

A positive start to life at the Santiago Bernabeu brought four goals in his first three games, with Real seemingly well on course to defend their Primera Liga crown.

However, a serious slump has seen them lose momentum in the title race and cost Schuster his job.

Van der Vaart now finds himself out of favour, resigned to filling back-up duties on the bench.

The 25-year-old is growing increasingly agitated at this lack of action, unable to comprehend why he is consistently overlooked by an under-performing side.

"I'm not very happy and I am in a difficult situation," he said.

"I played very well during my first month in the team and scored four goals. But all the blame shouldn't rest on the player, it's a combination of things.

"I do admit that my performance level has dropped."

Article

It got me wondering whether or not Rafa should try and get him because IMO it would add a lot more ability and quality to the team.

I think that he would be a heck of a lot better than Benayoun and he could forge a great partnership with Gerrard and Torres.

A possible line up which could turn to be very effective is:

Reina

Arbeloa   Carra    Agger/Skrtel   Insua

Babel         Masch/Alonso          Riera

Gerrard       VDV

Torres

I know the chances of Insua being in that line up are low at the moment but oh well.

Gerrard already has an outstanding partnership with Torres and it is even more effective when he is playing just behind him.
      I have used the basis of the 4-2-3-1 formation, except putting 4-3-2-1. A problem we have this season is scoring goals and killing teams off so with the addition of VDV when we are on the attack VDV and Gerrard could run on and make it into a 4-3-3 sort of formation.

Another good possiblity with this line up is that Gerrard could sometimes swap places with Babel as it would add extra pace to the sort of 3 pronged attack as well as killer balls into the box.

IMO Masch and Alonso are both good enough to be able to just sit back while Babel and Riera attack down the wings and the '2-1' part of the formation attack through the middle more, along with right back and left back getting up in support. That may seems a bit vulnerable when it comes to defending but our centre backs and holding midfielder would stay back and I think that they are more than capable of stopping any attack that they will face.
      I feel that Kuyt could do his usual job when he plays instead of Babel to what he des in the 4-2-3-1.

One big decision about this line up and one that the pundits and media would go on and on and on about is the choice to leave out Robbie Keane. At the moment I would have absolutely no problem with Keane being left on the bench and that line up being played (providing it works that is) because Keane is not doing his job which is to score goals. However, if we are still struggling to score then obviously changes would be made Keane would com on or replace someone in the line up in the following games until the next change etc.

I think that it would be a good choice if Rafa got in VDV but that is just my opinion, obviously not everyone will agree so let me know what you think. One thing that could sway your choice though is the fact I have tried this line up on football manager and it was very effective ;)

(only joking in case you think that I have based this topic on something that happend on a computer game :D)
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Re: Van Der Vaart Unhappy. Should We Try To Sign Him?
      Reply #1: Dec 18, 2008 06:14:36 pm
      I liked him before he moved, not sure what's happened since he went to RM.  I think Sneijder was the favourite of Schuster so VDV got pushed out a bit.

Good player but he wouldn't be cheap.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #2: Dec 18, 2008 06:52:17 pm
      The only way we can sign players from now on is if no one get a sniff of the deal especially world class players which other clubs would want ,cos in my opinion there is 2 leagues the premier league which we are top of and the Transer league which we are not even a close second ......
      Man City
      Chelsea
      Man U
      Newcastle /Spurs
      Then maybe us depend on the yanks
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,452 posts | 2846 
      Reply #3: Dec 18, 2008 07:06:57 pm
      The only way we can sign players from now on is if no one get a sniff of the deal especially world class players which other clubs would want ,cos in my opinion there is 2 leagues the premier league which we are top of and the Transer league which we are not even a close second ......
      Man City
      Chelsea
      Man U
      Newcastle /Spurs
      Then maybe us depend on the yanks

Money can't buy the honour of playing for the greatest club in the world, so I think we top that list.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #4: Dec 18, 2008 08:05:19 pm
      Money can't buy the honour of playing for the greatest club in the world, so I think we top that list.

But the bids that we'd make wouldn't be accepted by the clubs, they wouldn't want their players going for peanuts, so we'd never get contract negotiations.

I'd love for us to sign VDV, IMO he's a quality player and would add to some of the quality in the squad. He could rotate with Keane, playing just off the centre forward. But we don't have the money, so we won't get him, unfortunately.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,452 posts | 2846 
      Reply #5: Dec 18, 2008 08:40:52 pm
      I don't know much about him, sorry. Can he play on the wing. What's his natural position?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #6: Dec 18, 2008 11:01:30 pm
      Well, he'll have a good career in Man City, he'll end up there im almost certain
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #7: Dec 19, 2008 02:03:14 am
      Isn't he prefered as an Attacking Midfielder, or Right Midfield, I'm not too sure, but he's supposed to be very good. I've only seen him once I think it was an international game for holland, but I can't remember if it was world cup or what, I wasn't paying much attention.

He's got a brill girlfriend though :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: Dec 19, 2008 02:11:37 am
      Attacking midfielder, not very versatile. He played in the centre or on the edge of a middle 3 in his career for HSV and Holland but he isnt a winger. Real tried him and Sneijder on the wing but you could see how they werent used to it.

If he comes, which i highly, highly doubt, then it'd be a pairing of Gerrard and VDV behind Fernando.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #9: Dec 19, 2008 01:57:23 pm
      Van der Vaart shuns Real exit talk

Real Madrid’s Dutch midfielder Rafael van der Vaart has distanced himself from rumours linking him with a move away from the Bernabeu in the January transfer window.

The 25-year-old has struggled to make his mark with Real since his arrival from SV Hamburg, but van der Vaart insists he is happy to stay put and fight for his future.

He told his club’s official website: “To begin with I know nothing about this, even though I have read it in the press.

“I suppose the first person to know about it would be me, they would have spoken to me.

“I've been here five months and I think it's very soon to be talking about these things. Nobody's told me anything.

“I'm not very happy, but it's difficult. I'm working very hard and we'll see if I can get more minutes on the pitch.

“It's true my position has always been midfielder, close to the forward. The rhythm is different, but I have to train a lot and my feeling is that things are going to get better.”

Sevilla’s Brazilian winger Adriano has signed a contract extension to keep him at the Sanchez Pizjuan until the summer of 2014.

The 24-year-old has spent just over four years in Seville and has become a key figure in the club’s recent successes, sparking rumours of interest from the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona.

However, Adriano has now pledged his long-term future to Sevilla, telling the club’s official website: “I have given all for this club and I am very thankful that the club has supported me, that is what has made me stay here.

“I am very happy here. I'm back to 100 per cent and I have recovered to the level I was at last year.

“I've not been affected by injury so much this year and I hope it stays that way, so I can keep on helping this team achieve something big this year.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/van-der-vaart-shuns-real-exit-talk-1202943.html

I guess not.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #10: Dec 19, 2008 02:46:38 pm
      Forget any players related with Real Madrid. They won't sell us anyone now ;)
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #11: Dec 19, 2008 05:35:40 pm
      Forget any players related with Real Madrid. They won't sell us anyone now ;)

Why?  They could sell us VDV if he was cup-tied, it would help two-fold:
      a. They would sell an unhappy player and receive the money, and
      b. he would deny a place in the team (playing week-in, week-out in the league) to a player we would need to play against them who could then be out of form.

I think Crouchino has it right - he would play as 1 of 2 behind the striker with Gerrard or (possibly) Keane/Babel.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #12: Dec 19, 2008 06:21:58 pm
      I like this guy and at 25, it's a good age to move clubs.

Meh, if he comes, let's move him to Stevie's position and make Stevie striker so he can get his second century !
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #13: Dec 19, 2008 06:24:21 pm
      I just don't think there is a place to fit him in the starting XI. It is the same for a lot of players we seem to be linked with that only are attacking mid who can only play in the middle. He is a good player but not what we need right now
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,452 posts | 2846 
      Reply #14: Dec 19, 2008 07:16:10 pm
      I just don't think there is a place to fit him in the starting XI. It is the same for a lot of players we seem to be linked with that only are attacking mid who can only play in the middle. He is a good player but not what we need right now

Completely agree. Tried and failed to see how he'd fit in with the players who are delivering at the moment. Crouchino's formation is a bit too attacking in my opinion.
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #15: Dec 19, 2008 08:14:05 pm
      Completely agree. Tried and failed to see how he'd fit in with the players who are delivering at the moment. Crouchino's formation is a bit too attacking in my opinion.
      Same
      Vedder
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts | -6 
      • Olivavu
      Reply #16: Dec 19, 2008 09:18:22 pm
      If we did want him, we'd have to wait until the Summer as we've drawn them.

A swap for Babel could be done next Summer though.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #17: Dec 20, 2008 12:41:50 pm

I'm not for the transfer btw, just saying that if he came it'd be like that. Having just one player in the centre will see us overpowered way too often.

Quick Reply