Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Reds draw Preston in FA Cup

Read 5774 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: FA Cup 3rd Round draw
      Reply #23: Nov 30, 2008 03:30:15 pm
      Shouldn't be too difficult.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #24: Nov 30, 2008 05:42:11 pm
      We in the Shankly stand?
      ian92
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #25: Nov 30, 2008 05:42:51 pm

Yes
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #26: Nov 30, 2008 05:45:09 pm
      What Preston have said:

North End Chairman Derek Shaw was understandably excited after seeing his side drawn against one of the World's most famous clubs at Deepdale in the third round of the FA Cup - with Rafa Benitez' Liverpool coming to the City for the first game of 2009.

The two clubs haven't faced each other since March 1962, when they played five games, two in the old division two and three in the FA Cup, North End winning 1-0 in a second replay, played at Old Trafford, when neutral venues were used for second replays.

Speaking to the official website the Chairman said: "It's a wonderful draw for us. It is one of the teams, like Manchester United that we have never been fortunate to have got in the last 40 plus years.

"It should put a real buzz in the City. It is great for the Manager and for the fans. We will see a capacity crowd at Deepdale for the first time since its completion."

Ticket details will be decided at Deepdale on Monday and published on the official website and sent to the local press at the earliest opportunity - we ask that supporters do not contact the ticket office and club offices until after this announcement has been made.

... and... from Neil Mellor

As a former Liverpool player and North End's top scorer, Neil Mellor is going to be in high demand for the next few weeks, the official website spoke to the man himself who was already getting some strange requests.

"They're already asking for tickets, Gerrard's shirt, Torres' shirt, even Rafa's coat," Mellor told PNE.Com.

North End's No.33 started out as a trainee at Anfield and spent four years there as a professional before joining the Lilywhites for an undisclosed fee at the end of the transfer window in August 2006.

He is a massive football fan and with the draw for the third round of the World's most famous cup competition one of the most eagerly awaited days in the English footballing calendar there was only one place he was going to be this afternoon.

"I was watching it at home. I always watch it every year and look forward to it, because you never know who you are going to get.

"I always imagine what it would be like to play against Liverpool and have done ever since I left. I was very excited and pleased when it came out. I was watching it with my wife and she was screaming when the draw was made, but I managed to stay calm.

"It's the first time for a long time that Preston will have played Liverpool and I expect a full house and probably the biggest crowd at Deepdale for a number of years; it's exciting for the players and fans.

But with vital league action against Cardiff this coming weekend, Mellor says the players will be quickly concentrating on the more important bread and butter of the Coca-Cola Championship.

"I think everyone will talk about this for the rest of the day and as soon as we get on the training pitch we will be concentrating on the weekend. We want to stay in front of Cardiff and if we finish the season above them we will certainly finish in the Play-Offs.

"Everyone is still on a high from yesterday's win. There is a good spirit in the dressing room at the moment, everyone was celebrating a great win yesterday, but this is even more exciting."

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Reds draw Preston in FA Cup
      Reply #27: Nov 30, 2008 06:23:39 pm
      The day should have a Shankly theme to it ashankly flag day or something?
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #28: Nov 30, 2008 06:33:57 pm
      Would've preferred Oxford United, but it'll do.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #29: Nov 30, 2008 07:17:41 pm
      The draw could have been a hell of a lot easier but I'll take it. Tougher than Luton in my view, and look what happened then.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #30: Nov 30, 2008 10:35:39 pm
      Need 11 subs for this one. Strongest side to start and when we're 8 or 9-0 up, put on the second string and see if they can hold out until full time. Probably get a replay at Anfield then.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #31: Nov 30, 2008 10:51:06 pm
      Nice draw, links to Shankly and all that!

But that issuing the numbers before the draw pisses me off, can usually work out that arsenal are usually no 1, but I love just listening to the numbers getting drawn then seeing what team it is, so you can imagine what I felt when I saw ITV's coverage, big bar on right hand side with all numbers of teams. sh*te!!

Laughed when I saw the Histon players reactions, jesus how cheeky do you wanna be. If I remember right they got Swansea at home, after just beating leeds I'd be quite happy, a decent chance of getting to round 4, yet the cheeky bas**rds wanted a glamour tie.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #32: Dec 01, 2008 12:05:59 am
      not too easy, preston are in great form and have3 a decent manager...but we should have artilliary to shoot em down
      u1m81
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts | -1 
      Reply #33: Dec 01, 2008 02:32:27 am
      at least babel and benyoun can stop moaning, theyll prob get starts on this one.! ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #34: Dec 01, 2008 08:47:42 am
      Laughed when I saw the Histon players reactions, jesus how cheeky do you wanna be. If I remember right they got Swansea at home, after just beating leeds I'd be quite happy, a decent chance of getting to round 4, yet the cheeky bas**rds wanted a glamour tie.

To be fair, if you had been a Histon player who would you have wanted to play?

That'll be their FA Cup over with.  I felt a bit sorry for them as well to be honest.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #35: Dec 01, 2008 12:30:55 pm
      To be fair, if you had been a Histon player who would you have wanted to play?

That'll be their FA Cup over with.  I felt a bit sorry for them as well to be honest.

I would have loved it, if Histon had of drawn someone like manure, that game would probably have set them up financially for several seasons to come, they were obviously disappointed at getting Swansea, but who knows, they could get through and meet a 'big' team in the 4th round.

There's usually one little club that does quite well, I hope for their sake, its them, unless they come up against us of course  ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #36: Dec 01, 2008 12:39:20 pm
      There's usually one little club that does quite well,

Preston.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #37: Dec 01, 2008 01:09:35 pm

:o Don't even think it JD
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #38: Dec 02, 2008 11:42:33 am
      A game which has banana skin on it but we should win, maybe chance to give ngog or some other players a start.

Nice to see my hometown get drawn at home to everton! Im pretty sure i shall partake in that game
      MsGerrard
      Reply #39: Dec 02, 2008 02:23:56 pm
      LATE KICK-OFF FOR PRESTON CLASH

Jimmy Rice 02 December 2008 

Liverpool's FA Cup third round clash with Preston North End will be played at 5.25pm GMT on January 3, 2009. 
      The game, to be played at Deepdale, will be televised on ITV. 
      national_football_museum
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #40: Dec 22, 2008 01:41:17 pm
      Hi guys, thought you might be interested in visitng the museum before the FA Cup game against Preston North End on 3rd January.

This great museum is part of the famous Deepdale stadium and is packed with amazing footballing objects and memorabilia, sure to stir up memories of great matches and players, from the 1880’s to the present day. From the balls used in the first ever World Cup final, to the replica Jules Rimet trophy won by England in 1966 and the shirt worn by Maradona, during the infamous ‘Hand of God’ match it’s all here.

Look out too for Liverpool related objects include Alan Hansen’s 1988 FA Cup Final shirt, Phil Neal’s testimonial shirt and a shirt worn by Billy Lidell from his Scotland debut.

F A cup related objects include the spectacular oldest surviving FA cup in the world, currently on loan to the museum from Birmingham Chairman David Gold and the full kit worn by Stanley Matthews in the legendary 1953 cup final against Bolton Wanderers.

There’s also Goalstriker, the fantastic interactive penalty shoot out.  As a special match day offer all children under 12 accompanying an adult with a valid match day ticket will get a free go on Goalstriker.  Plus all Liverpool fans visiting during the day will be entered into a prize draw to win a signed Liverpool shirt.

The museum is open until match kick off at 5.30pm.  Admission is FREE.

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #41: Dec 22, 2008 04:04:32 pm
      I think Dossena should play in this game, if he can put on a performance then it will do a good deal for his confidence.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #42: Dec 22, 2008 04:52:13 pm
      Hi guys, thought you might be interested in visitng the museum before the FA Cup game against Preston North End on 3rd January.

This great museum is part of the famous Deepdale stadium and is packed with amazing footballing objects and memorabilia, sure to stir up memories of great matches and players, from the 1880’s to the present day. From the balls used in the first ever World Cup final, to the replica Jules Rimet trophy won by England in 1966 and the shirt worn by Maradona, during the infamous ‘Hand of God’ match it’s all here.

Look out too for Liverpool related objects include Alan Hansen’s 1988 FA Cup Final shirt, Phil Neal’s testimonial shirt and a shirt worn by Billy Lidell from his Scotland debut.

F A cup related objects include the spectacular oldest surviving FA cup in the world, currently on loan to the museum from Birmingham Chairman David Gold and the full kit worn by Stanley Matthews in the legendary 1953 cup final against Bolton Wanderers.

There’s also Goalstriker, the fantastic interactive penalty shoot out.  As a special match day offer all children under 12 accompanying an adult with a valid match day ticket will get a free go on Goalstriker.  Plus all Liverpool fans visiting during the day will be entered into a prize draw to win a signed Liverpool shirt.

The museum is open until match kick off at 5.30pm.  Admission is FREE.

Think I would have done this had we got tickets!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #43: Dec 23, 2008 03:08:12 pm
      I didnt get to watch the draw for obvious reasons, what did the Histon lads do? Cry i gather?

Happy with Preston, give players a go against a club that will challenge us as its important to lower clubs, no offence intended.

Quick Reply