Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 2nd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

Megson: Liverpool are a bastion of English football

Read 3623 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Megson: Liverpool are a bastion of English football
      Dec 25, 2008 03:45:35 am
      Bill Shankly called Liverpool a "bastion of invincibility" but Bolton boss Gary Megson believes the Reds are a "bastion of English football".
      Megson takes his side to Anfield on Boxing Day to face the Premier League leaders, intent on putting a dent in their bid to win the league title for the first time since 1990.

Yet the Trotters boss has nothing but respect and admiration for the Merseysiders.

He marvels at the way Shankly transformed Liverpool from a failing second division side to one which went on to dominate the English game for 20 years.

Megson said: "Liverpool are not a big football club or a huge football club - they are a bastion of English football.

"They have been Shankly took over in 1959.

"People have been talking about whether Liverpool have the wherewithal to have a title challenge this year.

"But I think they've had it for the last 40 years.

"Liverpool are a fantastic team. Fernando Torres hasn't been in the team yet they are still top of the league.

"Steven Gerrard is the best midfielder in the world and, in my view, the best defender in the world is Jamie Carragher.

"They have got quality right throughout the side."

Bolton have not emerged victorious from a league fixture at Anfield since 1954 - a pitiful record which says much about Liverpool's superiority on home soil down the years.

"Our record at Anfield isn't brilliant," acknowledged Megson.

"But I doubt you would find anyone who has a really good record against Liverpool over the last 40 years.

"I actually won there as a player with Sheffield Wednesday in 1984.

"Mind you, we played a brand of football that Liverpool didn't see too often.

"Back then, Liverpool were the yardstick for everybody.

"Manchester United have got themselves up there now, as have Chelsea and Arsenal, which is probably a good thing for the game and the country."

Liverpool's impressive first half of their campaign has encouraged hopes that Rafael Benitez's side can last the distance in the race for the title.

However, they have failed to win their last three outings at Anfield to surrender vital ground.

They are still top at Christmas, but Megson said: "I don't think it's too significant that if you are top at Christmas.

"Results have gone well for United while they have been away in Japan, with Liverpool and Chelsea dropping points.

"It's a good thing to be top of the league but the time you want to be top is the end of May."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/mediawatch/drilldown/MW14041081224-1421.htm

My respect for this man has multiplied tenfold. Felt it deserved its own thread.

Thoughts?
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Re: Megson: Liverpool are a bastion of English football
      Reply #1: Dec 25, 2008 03:57:01 am
      The man talks sense and knows his football this statement proves his knowledge and his memory as most people in the game, especially those in the media have an accute form of amnesia. 
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Dec 25, 2008 10:52:07 am
      Great to hear things like that :)

Stevie G-ks
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #3: Dec 25, 2008 02:00:04 pm
      Hey Lfc fans sorry about this post bot am interesting to know . It's true that Benitez has put his signature in new contract for LFC and if is true for how much long Benitez signed a new contrat for LFC .

p.s Sorry for my english , a dont speak well , Thanks
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #4: Dec 25, 2008 04:25:53 pm
      If  Liverpool are the "Bastions of English football" ............... then what are the Mancs ?

"the bas**rds of English football"  ?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #5: Dec 25, 2008 04:34:49 pm
      Hey Lfc fans sorry about this post bot am interesting to know . It's true that Benitez has put his signature in new contract for LFC and if is true for how much long Benitez signed a new contrat for LFC .

p.s Sorry for my english , a dont speak well , Thanks

It'll be until 2013 mate.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #6: Dec 25, 2008 04:53:41 pm
      Slurp.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,886 posts | 6818 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #7: Dec 25, 2008 08:09:52 pm
      If  Liverpool are the "Bastions of English football" ............... then what are the Mancs ?

"the Bas**rds of English football"  ?

You're actually starting to sound more like a Liverpool supporter every day, I still have my doubts, though  ;)
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #8: Dec 25, 2008 08:24:07 pm
      Well said that man. Clearly has a lot of respect for us so now I have a huge amount of respect for him.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #9: Dec 25, 2008 08:34:00 pm
      I always liked him before. My respect for him has multiplied tenfold.

I still hope we thrash them tomorrow.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #10: Dec 25, 2008 11:13:22 pm
      Can't believe you are all falling for the mindgames! Just because it's positive! Reverse psychology! It's like a thief complimenting you on your new haircut while taking the wallet from your pocket. You're too busy puffing out your chest to notice what he's doing. Hopefully the players will see through it and not go into the game expecting to win because they have had their egos massaged by the enemy. Well played Megson.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #11: Dec 25, 2008 11:43:37 pm
      Can't believe you are all falling for the mindgames! Just because it's positive! Reverse psychology! It's like a thief complimenting you on your new haircut while taking the wallet from your pocket. You're too busy puffing out your chest to notice what he's doing. Hopefully the players will see through it and not go into the game expecting to win because they have had their egos massaged by the enemy. Well played Megson.

At least it makes a difference from the media slagging us off. Can you blame us?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #12: Dec 26, 2008 07:09:40 am
      Yeah i'm not too upbeat. You just know he is apologising in advance for parking the bus. I'd rather him slate us and say he can win which means he either parks the bus and looks like a massive dick or actually does what he says and comes out.

Anyway, just pointing out the obvious. ;)

"the Bas**rds of English football"  ?

Spot on.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #13: Dec 26, 2008 08:57:51 am
      I think the only reason to say this before a game against us is by putting us up there is like saying to his players ''now knock them down'' or maybe I'm just an old cynic at heart.....
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #14: Dec 26, 2008 07:37:15 pm
      @Title.

Yes. We are! ;)
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,506 posts | 2870 
      Reply #15: Dec 26, 2008 08:03:48 pm
      I'm sure Megson has better things to do than pointing out the blindingly obvious ;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #16: Dec 26, 2008 08:44:24 pm
      You're actually starting to sound more like a Liverpool supporter every day, I still have my doubts, though  ;)

He's a pure manc mate! Throwing his dummy out the pram because Liverpool have been called the bastions of English football by someone. As soon as I seen this thread I knew it wouldn't be long until barrymanulow would be mentioning the mancs.  :lmao:

:lmao:

You were right about the reverse psychology Reepicheep. It's the old 'try to encourage complacency' trick.

Although, it is always nice to hear respect from other managers. Give Megson his due today after the game, he said any team who finishes above Liverpool this season will definitely win the league. Not so much of a compliment but definitely a statement of his belief that we're going to be a tough nut to crack this season.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #17: Dec 27, 2008 12:27:11 am
      He was obviously complimenting Liverpool, as he knew he'd get beat today, and then he could just say........."well, I told you they were good", just so his team wouldn't feel too downhearted.

Let's face it........they didn't really expect to win............did they?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #18: Dec 27, 2008 12:42:16 am
      He was obviously complimenting Liverpool, as he knew he'd get beat today, and then he could just say........."well, I told you they were good", just so his team wouldn't feel too downhearted.

Let's face it........they didn't really expect to win............did they?

Never in a million years! ;)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #19: Dec 27, 2008 12:50:17 am

Dead right Res  ;)  :)
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #20: Dec 27, 2008 10:36:11 am
      Megson is a great guy. He led bolton to 5 victories in the past 8 games. He knows when to give praise and when to receive it. Glad to hear that Megson has been really supportive of Liverpool.

Quick Reply