Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

Liverpool FC v Bolton Wanderers (Pre-match Thread)

Read 11490 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Liverpool FC v Bolton Wanderers (Pre-match Thread)
      Reply #23: Dec 23, 2008 02:19:55 pm
      To be quite honest, the defence could have dealt with the Nasri pass better but you can't expect everyone to be perfect so we can't blame Agger or anyone.

Let's just hope we can win at home this time :P

It was Agger's fault the ball went past the line of defence in the first place. He was caught out, making it look as if Carra was because Carra had to cover him.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #24: Dec 23, 2008 03:31:35 pm
      This could be easy if we want or (more than likely) it will be a scrappy match. Alot of Bolton's goals are coming from set pieces so I think Carragher and Hyppia at centre half. Agger is great with balls being played along the ground but can struggle with high balls. Hyppia is at his best defending high crosses, Carragher is evenly balanced but always gets the crucial tackles in. We need to attack for the 90 mins. Insua proved his worth against Arsenal and his pace will be needed going down the wings. Arbeloa is the same and he is putting some good crosses in lately. I woul play Mascherano in this game (if he's fit). Bolton are much more physical than Arsenal so we need to be physically strong in all areas of the field.

Riera is starting to lose a bit of confidence with all these substitutions lately so a good 90 mins against Bolton could change his fortunes. Gerrard needs no explanation really. I would go with Keane and Kuyt up front, these are two players that just keep running, as a centre half that is a nightmare to mark. Neither of them can play as a lone striker. They need strike partners to work off and pass and move. They are both capable of getting goals and deserve a chance up front.

I would give El Zhar a start on the RW. Insua proved there is alot of talent in the reserves and they deserve a chance. El Zhar has enough talent to play this one. Benayoun would just keep cutting inside so why not. he's not going to improve as a player by getting 10 mins every second week!!!

I would go for a 4-4-2 but just tweak it a bit. Let Mascherano sit back and hold just in front of the defense. The only way Bolton are going to really threaten from open play will be on the break, so have Mascherano waiting for them.

---------------------------------------- Reina ----------------------------------------

Arbeloa ------------- Carragher ----------- Hyppia ------------------ Insua

------------------------------------ Mascherano ---------------------------------

El Zhar ----------------------------- Gerrard ----------------------------- Riera

--------------------------------- Keane ------- Kuyt ----------------------------
      sproaty_88
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #25: Dec 23, 2008 03:39:16 pm
      We definitely need a win on Boxing Day! It would make it a great Christmas (perfect if Chelsea and Scum Utd get beat), if we don't win this match we will really have our work cut out for us in the second half of the season! I'd like to see Keane and Kuyt together too but with Babel and Riera playing; Babel out on the right! He needs to be given his chance too and Bolton would be a great opportunity to try him over there.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3718 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #26: Dec 23, 2008 03:55:45 pm
      we need to win this game 'cos first we need to stay top & to be the first win from last four games at home. we need to score early goal to bring bolton out. I would play like this:
                                 Reina
      Carra.         Hyypia          Agger           Insua
                             Mascherano
                                Alonso
      Gerrard                                             Babel
                                Kuyt
                                Keane
      My pred 3-1 ( keane, babel, reira)

With my formation we will have v.good side attack, good creativity from alonso & kuyt, keane good attacking.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #27: Dec 23, 2008 04:10:21 pm
      Lucas Leiva believes that Liverpool can get back to winning ways against Bolton Wanderers on Boxing Day.

The Reds have drawn four of their last five league games, including Sunday's against Arsenal, but the Brazilian midfielder is hoping that the team can reward the fans' patience and support with three points against the Trotters.

"We had a chance to win at Arsenal, especially because we had one more player than them for most of the second half so we have to be disappointed with a draw," said Lucas.

"We tried to do everything we could to get the second goal but unfortunately we couldn't get the three points.

"We must now focus on our next game and try to get the three points at Anfield against Bolton.

"We have had three draws in a row at home so it's important we win this game. We need to win our home games.

"Our supporters are always behind us and we want to send them home happy with a win.

"We are at the top of the league and we have to keep going. We have to be confident and just do our job.

"Everybody at this club wants to win the league and we will trying our best to make that happen."

Lucas also admitted that he is hoping to improve after poor form marred his current run in the first team.

"I have had some bad times, especially the last time I started at Anfield against Fulham but you just have to keep your head up and keep working hard," he added.

"I'm trying to improve in every game and hopefully I can show my quality every time I play."
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #28: Dec 23, 2008 04:15:37 pm
      Been impressed with Lucas lately. Sure he hasnt been covering all areas but improved alot in last 2 games. Hopefully, if chosen, he will continue it.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #29: Dec 23, 2008 04:35:57 pm
      You know Bolton will park it. 3-5-2 would be ideal! ::)
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #30: Dec 23, 2008 07:08:47 pm
      ---------------------------------------- Reina ----------------------------------------

Arbeloa ------------- Carragher ----------- Hyppia ------------------ Insua

------------------------------------ Mascherano ---------------------------------

El Zhar ----------------------------- Gerrard ----------------------------- Riera

--------------------------------- Keane ------- Kuyt ----------------------------

Diamond.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #31: Dec 23, 2008 07:26:30 pm
      I think its more of a 4-1-3-2 to be precise.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #32: Dec 23, 2008 07:27:31 pm

If Gerrard is just behind Keane and Kuyt then it's a 4-4-2 diamond. ;)
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,398 posts | 2825 
      Reply #33: Dec 23, 2008 07:33:21 pm
      Been impressed with Lucas lately. Sure he hasnt been covering all areas but improved alot in last 2 games. Hopefully, if chosen, he will continue it.

We must be watching different games. I thought he was terrible two months ago and his recent performances in my view havent changed anything. He either puts in a 'half challenge' and doesnt get the ball or he just fouls. At least 10-12 fouls against Arsenal. It's very frustrating and at home if we have Bolton on the back foot and if he fouls he justs breaks up our momentum and we have to start all over again.

I'd leave Masch and Lucas out and play just Alonso as the holding midfielder. Benayoun on the right, Riera on the left. Gerrard playing just behind Keane and Babel (I accept this is most likely to be Kuyt, but I think he needs a rest).

Must win lads, no bloody excuses.

3-0.

Keane, Gerrard and Benayoun.
      Babel-Torres-Gerrard
      • Forum David Johnson

• 230 posts |
      Reply #34: Dec 23, 2008 08:34:50 pm
      I reckon we should go for this line-up:

------------Reina------------
      Arbeloa--Carra--Agger--Insua
      Babel---Xabi---Stevie---Riera
      ---------Kuyt--Keane--------

With this line-up, we are almost guaranteed to score goals.  Babel and Riera on the flanks was so successful against PSV - both terrorised their full-backs and thus both, unsurprisingly, got on the score-sheet.  Against Bolton we can afford to play aggresively because surely they will just park the bus in front of goal.  Kuyt can play in his natural position and link up with Keane, who in my opinion is slowly starting to hit his best form. 

However, knowing Rafa, I believe his XI will have three differences to that of mine - Hyypia for Agger (despite the Dane having a great game against Arse), Benayoun for Babel and Dossena, if he is fit, for Insua.  I really don't see why he won't persist with Insua, he is clearly a talented lad, much more reliable than Dossena.  But that's Rafa for you I suppose.  I just hope this won't turn out to be one of those days where it's 0-0 full of missed chances. I do hope, however, that we win convincingly 2-0 or 3-0.  YNWA.     
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #35: Dec 24, 2008 09:13:48 am

I wasn't describing the shape. That's a slang word for perfect.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #36: Dec 24, 2008 09:35:46 am
      this is a must win situation looking at the schedule. liverpool seem to produce when they are under the gun. but a draw will dash the confidence of supporters and team. come on reds give us all a good christmas present
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #37: Dec 24, 2008 09:45:41 am
      Three points would do nicely on Boxing Day.

And seeing as its Christmas, we should hear this from the Kop, will anyone care to join me in some carol singing:

Oh come all ye faithful,
      joyful and triumphant
      Oh come ye, Oh come ye to Anfield
      Come and behold them
      Were the Kings of Europe
      Oh come let us adore them
      L I V E R P O O L!
      If i was on the kop on boxing day i would have loved to give thet one a belting brought a smile as i sat by my pc reading it ,so i just let go a verse my missus thinks i am nuts.
      koppiteal
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      • CMON THE REDS
      Reply #38: Dec 24, 2008 12:18:34 pm
      I would go for the same team that played Arsenal they did the job so they should have no problem against Boloin
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #39: Dec 24, 2008 12:54:29 pm
      I wasn't describing the shape. That's a slang word for perfect.

:D I thought that was what you meant but I tought you might have been describing the shape aswel!!!!  :)

Thats what I was thinking. With two up front there is no real need to have Gerrard play in the hole behind the striker. It would just leave a large gap in the centre of the pitch, that could be risky if they catch us on the break. Just play three across the mid field with Mascherano sitting behind them and in front of the back four.
      bedsred
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 144 posts |
      • That's nice, that's McDermott and that's a goal
      Reply #40: Dec 24, 2008 04:12:38 pm
      SSN are reporting Nando could be on the bench and Macsh is in contension too. Happy days having Nando back (hopefully)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #41: Dec 24, 2008 05:31:18 pm
      Ah, great news! Although I don't want him to play if it's risky, couldn't bear to see him out for any longer.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #42: Dec 24, 2008 09:32:45 pm
      SSN are reporting Nando could be on the bench and Macsh is in contension too. Happy days having Nando back (hopefully)

I could do with them both playing as I've predicted 3-0 and with recent results being draws I need all the luck I can get !
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #43: Dec 24, 2008 09:43:30 pm
      I could do with them both playing as I've predicted 3-0 and with recent results being draws I need all the luck I can get !
      Think you will be OK with this one Frizzby, i think three nil as well, the draws at home have got to stop sometime so why not boxing day?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #44: Dec 24, 2008 10:16:27 pm
      Well if it's true that Arbeloa and Dossena are injured then I hope Insua and Darby are both given the chance to play (although Insua could well have done anyway).

Reina

Darby   Carra   Agger   Insua

Babel   Gerrard  Alonso  Riera

Kuyt   Keane     

Subs: Cavalieri, Hyypia, San Jose, Masch, Lucas, N'Gog, Torres

Hopefully we will see Torres come on around the 60th minute so he can score a couple ;)

Left Masch on the bench because where he has been ill i would much prefer him wait another game before he plays so he is 100%

San Jose because if Arbeloa and Dossena are out then it leaves us rather bare in support of the back line and where he got called up agaiinst Chelsea last season i reckon h is the most likely for this game.

4-0 - Gerrard, Insua, Torres 2 ;)

Or if Nando does'nt come on then

4-0 - Gerrard, Insua, Babel, Keane

« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2008 10:22:54 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,054 posts | 3353 
      Reply #45: Dec 24, 2008 11:31:00 pm
      Leave Masch out because at home we don't need him against a side like Bolton who'll be quite content to sit deep and play out for a draw.

Leave Nando out because Bolton will kick him to kingdom come and that's the last thing you need after you've been laid off for a while.

Have to play two up front being at home and after Keane's scorcher against Arsenal, it's really a question, in my eyes, who partners Robbie. Now I haven't been impressed by Babel for some time, plus he isn't up for a fight which is what Bolton will be so I'd leave him out. I have however been very impressed by El Zhar when he's come on so either give him a go up front with Keane or shift Kuyt up top and El Zhar down the right. But looking at it realistically it will be Keane up top on his todd and two holding midfielders.

Quick Reply