Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Newcastle V Liverpool: Pre-match

Read 7989 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Newcastle V Liverpool: Pre-match
      Reply #23: Dec 27, 2008 03:00:24 pm
      Minimal changes as possible for this one, of course there will be some but hopefully nothing drastic so we keep the momentum from the Bolton game going into this one.

Reina

Darby           Carragher           Agger            Insua

Mascherano

Kuyt            Lucas              Gerrard          Babel

Keane

Cavalieri   Hyypia (Skrtel?)    Alonso    Benayoun    Riera    N'gog   Torres (?)

I think Masch was saved for this one to give Xabi a rest and Lucas will be given a go but i dont like it when he plays with Stevie because he goes into a shell but i think they will pair up.

4 changes is reasonable and predictable i suppose.

This is where i disagree with Res though, Xabi will make the bench but Sami may be out for Martin if he is fit enough otherwise he will sit on the bench ;)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #24: Dec 27, 2008 03:32:38 pm
      Dare i say the same team willplay :O
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,718 posts | 3723 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #25: Dec 27, 2008 03:36:30 pm
      Me too. I would play like this:
                           Reina
      Darby       Carra     Agger       Aurelio (if fit to rest insua) if not Insua 'cos dossena is awful
                        Mascherano
      El Zhar             Lucas              Babel
                            Gerrard
                            Keane

I put babel in 'cos he need to show off his skill.
      El Zhar: 'cos he played well in many games.
      Lucas: in last few games he played well.
      Keane: he played v.well in last two games and also scored in both
      Darby: give him time to show what he is all about
      3-0 for us (keane, lucas, gerrard)

Reina

Darby           Carragher           Agger            Insua

Mascherano

Kuyt            Lucas              Gerrard          Babel

Keane

Cavalieri   Hyypia (Skrtel?)    Alonso    Benayoun    Riera    N'gog   Torres (?)

Our teams are very alike. One of us must win the pred. team ;)
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #26: Dec 27, 2008 06:13:06 pm
      I would go with the same formation from Friday.  That was the best Liverpool have looked since the eightees. On that form Liverpool are definately favourites to win the title.
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #27: Dec 27, 2008 07:47:59 pm
      Do people just not listen or something, Alonso and Hyypia will be lucky to make the bench!

Well, as far as I am concerned the lineups given by people in these pre-match threads are of different type. Some give the lineup they predict Rafa will make, while others give the lineup they would like to see, or would make themselves if they were in charge. So no matter how well you argue for the cause that Alonso will not play, it may not change peoples opinion on which team they would like to see out there. Some may think that a tired Alonso is still much better than a fresh Lucas.

What Rafa thinks is a different thing, but you can find arguments for and against Alonso starting the game against Newcastle. You could for example argue that he will be in the lineup because: He is playing superbly, he is not the player running most in a game hence not the most dependent on how fresh he is, the boxing day programe is not as hard as last year, because he usually scores from 70 yards against Newcastle etc.
      You could also argue against his inclusion in the linup, just as you have done.

But even though you made a long and good analysis of the most probable starting lineup for tomorrow, doesnt change the fact that you dont know if Alonso is starting or not. And until the day you reveal yourself as Rafael Benitez himself, it would be nice to let people have their own theories and wishes for the starting XI.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,457 posts | 2851 
      Reply #28: Dec 27, 2008 08:00:53 pm
                                    Reina

Darby         Carra                Agger         Aurelio

Lucas                Masch

Kuyt                    Gerrard                    Babel

Keane

Torres to get 20 mins at the end. Babel to start as he didn't feature at all against Bolton. El Zhar to get half an hour in place of Kuyt.

2-0 to the mighty Reds!

Keane and Torres witha late one of the bench.

There you go, you heard it from me ;)
      shev
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #29: Dec 27, 2008 09:42:31 pm
      should win this
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #30: Dec 27, 2008 09:43:55 pm
      Well, as far as I am concerned the lineups given by people in these pre-match threads are of different type. Some give the lineup they predict Rafa will make, while others give the lineup they would like to see, or would make themselves if they were in charge. So no matter how well you argue for the cause that Alonso will not play, it may not change peoples opinion on which team they would like to see out there. Some may think that a tired Alonso is still much better than a fresh Lucas.

What Rafa thinks is a different thing, but you can find arguments for and against Alonso starting the game against Newcastle. You could for example argue that he will be in the lineup because: He is playing superbly, he is not the player running most in a game hence not the most dependent on how fresh he is, the boxing day programe is not as hard as last year, because he usually scores from 70 yards against Newcastle etc.
      You could also argue against his inclusion in the linup, just as you have done.

But even though you made a long and good analysis of the most probable starting lineup for tomorrow, doesnt change the fact that you dont know if Alonso is starting or not. And until the day you reveal yourself as Rafael Benitez himself, it would be nice to let people have their own theories and wishes for the starting XI.

Oh don't get me wrong here mate, I'm not trying to say people are wrong to voice their opinions, it just seems to me to be common sense.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #31: Dec 27, 2008 09:57:33 pm
      I think it's fairly obvious Torres wont start the game but I think he could well come on at some point in the 2nd half.

Reina

Darby   Carra   Agger   Insua

Babel  Alonso  Masch   Riera

Gerrard
                        Keane

Subs: Cavalieri, Hyypia, Lucas, Kuyt, El Zhar, Yossi, Torres

I think Babel will play because he has'nt played for a while now and I would prefer him to Kuyt this game because I was'nt as impressed with Kuyt against Bolton, I think he got in the way of Keane too much.

3-0 win

Gerrard, Keane, Torres
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #32: Dec 27, 2008 10:07:59 pm
      I would go with the same formation from Friday.  That was the best Liverpool have looked since the eightees. On that form Liverpool are definately favourites to win the title.

So you reckon Rafa will play the same team in consecutive matches? :lmao:
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #33: Dec 27, 2008 10:12:15 pm
      Oh don't get me wrong here mate, I'm not trying to say people are wrong to voice their opinions, it just seems to me to be common sense.

Fair enough, just sounded a bit smart at first.

Agree with you though. Would like Alonso to start, and then rather take him off at 60 min, but it would be typical Rafa to leave him out. A bit of a shame, would like to see him score a 70 yarder again ;D

Im pretty sure Hyppia is off too.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #34: Dec 27, 2008 10:25:19 pm
      For some reason, I must admit to being a bit wary of this one.

I know Newcastle are sh*t, but they occasionally pull their fingers out against us.  And you can never discount the Owen factor.

God I hope we end the year on another win, but I'll be biting my nails until we get a two goal lead...
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #35: Dec 27, 2008 10:28:22 pm
      Dare i say the same team willplay :O

I think so aswel. Now I understand that some players have been playing a few matches in succession and may need a rest. But when you are playing well and winning you don't want to miss a minute of a game. I think most players will get a rest against Preston anyway . The likes of Alonso are key to our build up play . Mascherano is a great player but he is at his best when chasing opponents and tackling. Against Newcastle we need to attack. I would love to see a 4-4-2 again and I live in hope. Insua doesn't need a rest. He's only played four games so far this season so he should be fit. I do agree that Hyppia might not start, I want him to, but it's unlikely. Agger has the pace to control Owen, Martins, Ameobi or N'Zogbia. I would like to see Darby get a go as Insua has proved that the youth deserve a chance.

I would love to see the same line up as the Bolton game but I think there will be just the two changes. If we can dominate early and score early then we can start making changes.

---------------------------------- Reina -----------------------------------

Darby ------------- Carragher ---- Agger --------------- Insua

Benayoun -------- Alonso -------- Gerrard --------------- Riera

----------------------- Kuyt ------------- Keane ----------------------
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #36: Dec 28, 2008 12:55:48 am
                               Reina

Carragher           Hypie           Agger            Insua

Mascherano

Kuyt            Lucas              Gerrard          Riera

Keane

babel will come on for riera on 65, benyoun on for kuyt on 75, alonso for gerrard 83.... ive been forward in the future.............. result 2-1 to us........ goals from keane and Gerrard
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #37: Dec 28, 2008 01:03:48 am
      I think that owen will run his legs off tomorow, sorry today and try and prove a point . if he scores i hope it`s not the winner. Two ,one to the reds
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #38: Dec 28, 2008 02:24:13 am
      My Team
                              Reina

Carragher           Hypia           Agger            Insua

Mascherano

Kuyt            Alonso          Riera

Gerrard

Keane

If Abeloa is fit, he will play & rest Hyppia
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #39: Dec 28, 2008 02:27:22 am
      Let's have a repeat of last season's 3-0 hammering please!

Reina

Darby     Carragher     Agger     Insua

Mascherano     Alonso
      Kuyt                                   Riera
              Gerrard

Keane

Subs: Cavalieri, Skrtel, Babel, El Zhar, Lucas, Torres, Dossena
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #40: Dec 28, 2008 03:35:39 am
      Let's not get too cocky.

The performance we put on at home to Bolton was a very good one. But as much as it seems strange to kick off a pre match thread within hours of our players walking down the Anfield tunnel after Bolton, it will be no different for the players to try to focus on a trip to geordie land.

I feel this is a very testing game. Not so much for the tiredness, but more so for the mindset.

It's a strong statement to make going into the new year as league leaders. So far, we've earned it. But we've seen a good few opportunities to take advantage of a good position pass us by this season. And Newcastle will hate to see us be the better side on their patch once again.

Let's see determination to win, no matter the football.

We've got to be wise today. Make sure there's lots of movement to give lots of options. And make sure we are wide awake in defence.

But for me, Alonso has to play. He can stand still in midfield for all I care. As long as he feeds Gerrard to score a goal or two. I don't think Newcastle will be able to handle that if our wide players are creating space.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #41: Dec 28, 2008 04:22:29 am
      I'm just fired up for a win and to enter 2009 at the top
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,847 posts | 6787 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #42: Dec 28, 2008 05:43:18 am
      I have a lot of confidence when we play away from home. I think the players do too.

Really looking forward to this one. If Torres starts I'm going for 5-1. If he doesn't, which is most likely, I'm going for the same scoreline against Bolton. 3-0 to the Reds with a Keane Hattrick. Go you lads.
      ArkansasRed
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts |
      Reply #43: Dec 28, 2008 10:00:23 am
      I'm staying up all night here in the states with my friend for the 6am (my time) kickoff. He's a Newcastle supporter, so it's going to be a good morning. Come on Redmen!
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #44: Dec 28, 2008 10:38:16 am
      Not long to go now I am excited for this one but also cautious. I dont think we should be too cocky with this one but I am confident we will get the all important 3 points. It would really be interesting to see if we can put in the same performance as against Bolton and start playing well and winning considering we have grinded out alot of our league games.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #45: Dec 28, 2008 10:39:40 am
      Not long to go to kick off.

It would be impressive to stay top.  We must have been there since at least the beginning of December if my memory serves me correct.  Looking at the points total we are only 1 point better off than we were in 2005/06 and we were 4th then - so it shows that the rest are struggling as well.

Usually by this time we are looking up at the leaders pulling away.  Let's get all three points and sit back and start putting the pins in the voodoo dolls of the rest of the top four.  And Arsenal. ;)

Quick Reply