Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 12th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Gerrard to be charged with affray

Read 36659 times
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Re: Gerrard to be charged with affray
      Reply #138: Mar 20, 2009 05:25:02 pm
      Good to hear that the assault has been charged. Still a bit worried about the affray charge, really hope he doesnt get the serious sentence but from what you guys seem to think, it looks like a slap on the wrist, well i hope! I feel like his mother i'm that worried! haha, yes i am a saddo :P
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #139: Mar 20, 2009 05:41:37 pm
      It was a big relief when I saw the break news on SSN today.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #140: Mar 20, 2009 06:10:49 pm
      Its as it appeared at the outset if this bollocks would have happened in Liverpool it would have been sorted in the magistrates by now but Sefton,Southport courts are infamous for all these petty bureaucratic displays which are totally meaningless,cost an arm and a leg and are a waste of taxpayers money.
      « Last Edit: Mar 22, 2009 10:32:09 am by stuey »
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #141: Jul 21, 2009 12:25:21 pm
      Gerrard Court
      Six co-defendants of England footballer Steven Gerrard have admitted their involvement in a bar-room brawl, today at Liverpool Crown Court.

Now, Gerrard, 29, faces trial alone for a charge of affray in which businessman Marcus McGee was injured in the Lounge Inn, in Southport, in the early hours of December 29 last year.

Five of the defendants admitted affray, and one admitted a lesser charge of section 4 threatening behaviour.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/8160783.stm

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5446218,00.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-englandgerrard&prov=reuters&type=lgns
      « Last Edit: Jul 21, 2009 12:36:07 pm by Witto »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #142: Jul 21, 2009 12:57:42 pm
      Hmm...

Interesting eh.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #143: Jul 21, 2009 01:05:36 pm
      Indeed.

But surely, Stevie wouldn't plead not guilty if he had done something, would he?  Just read the BBC news report and 'apparently' he hit in the speed of a boxer!

As they say, no smoke without fire.
      JayDLFC
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts | -1 
      Reply #144: Jul 21, 2009 01:19:50 pm
      supposdly theres pictures of him hitting the guy
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      Reply #145: Jul 21, 2009 01:34:16 pm
      Gerrard Might of Actually Hit this guy ?!
      Prosecutors told a jury Tuesday that Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard lost his cool in a nightclub and aimed a succession of punches at a man who wouldn't let him take charge of the music.
      The England midfielder went on trial at Liverpool Crown Court on Tuesday on a charge of affray, and the prosecution told the jury Gerrard was one of several men who attacked 34-year-old Marcus McGee, who had refused to hand over control of a CD player.

Hours after Gerrard had scored twice in Liverpool's 5-1 victory over Newcastle, he was with friends at the Lounge Inn in Southport in the early hours of Dec. 29 last year when his party clashed with McGee.

Prosecutor David Turner said Gerrard asked McGee for the card controlling the CD player so he could change the music but the man refused. Turner said Gerrard's mood then changed and he went back and confronted McGee and the two men stood head-to-head "in the sort of hostile confrontation that is often seen between professional footballers."

Turner said Gerrard's friends also joined in and one of them pushed McGee and followed up with his elbow into his face.

"We say at this stage Gerrard totally lost it," Turner said. "Almost immediately after the blow ... in fact within seconds, Steven Gerrard joined in the attack with a succession of well aimed uppercut punches delivered with the style and speed of a professional boxer rather than a professional footballer."

Gerrard denies affray. Five other men pleaded guilty and another admitted a lesser charge of threatening behavior. The trial is expected to last several days.

Before it started, Judge Henry Globe said the jury panel brought in to try the case would have to put aside their football loyalties and give a true verdict according to the evidence.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2009-07-21-2049126523_x.htm
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #146: Jul 21, 2009 01:37:07 pm
      Indeed.

But surely, Stevie wouldn't plead not guilty if he had done something, would he?  Just read the BBC news report and 'apparently' he hit in the speed of a boxer!

As they say, no smoke without fire.

These, are they not the words of the prosecution?
      We are gong to here a lot of bad stuff, before we here any positive stuff, anyway most DJ's need a good slapping. IMO  :f_tongueincheek:
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      Reply #147: Jul 21, 2009 01:37:52 pm
      Im actually becoming very worried that Gerrard may of hit this guy. News reporters all over are saying that Gerrard lost it. Just hope he doesn't go to jail for long ... :S
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #148: Jul 21, 2009 01:42:44 pm
      Im actually becoming very worried that Gerrard may of hit this guy. News reporters all over are saying that Gerrard lost it. Just hope he doesn't go to jail for long ... :S

I hope I never go to court and you're never on the jury.

Just the prosecution's account of proceedings.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #149: Jul 21, 2009 01:43:53 pm
      I F***ing reckon ey drama queens some of you guys dead set.

A slap on the wrist is all that is going to happen.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      Reply #150: Jul 21, 2009 01:44:16 pm
      I hope I never go to court and you're never on the jury.

Just the prosecution's account of proceedings.
      Haha. Hopefully Gerrard has hired the best lawyer in the business ;D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #151: Jul 21, 2009 01:50:26 pm
      Prosecutor David Turner said Gerrard asked McGee for the card controlling the CD player so he could change the music but the man refused. Turner said Gerrard's mood then changed and he went back and confronted McGee and the two men stood head-to-head "in the sort of hostile confrontation that is often seen between professional footballers."

Turner said Gerrard's friends also joined in and one of them pushed McGee and followed up with his elbow into his face.

"We say at this stage Gerrard totally lost it," Turner said. "Almost immediately after the blow ... in fact within seconds, Steven Gerrard joined in the attack with a succession of well aimed uppercut punches delivered with the style and speed of a professional boxer rather than a professional footballer."

Gerrard denies affray. Five other men pleaded guilty and another admitted a lesser charge of threatening behavior. The trial is expected to last several days.

[/quote]That surely can't be admissible the prosecution twice intimates that there is some dubious link to the accused' profession and the violence that occurred that night, its as plain as day what his tactics are.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #152: Jul 21, 2009 01:54:06 pm
      F***ing winds me up how they try to make things seem worse by descrbing as punching 'like a professional boxer'.

I just heard on BBC News then that Gerrard has said he did lash out but it was in self defence as he thought this McGee fella was gonna do something to him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8685 
      Reply #153: Jul 21, 2009 02:33:05 pm
      F***ing winds me up how they try to make things seem worse by descrbing as punching 'like a professional boxer'.

I just heard on BBC News then that Gerrard has said he did lash out but it was in self defence as he thought this McGee fella was gonna do something to him.

And the bloke only got a chipped tooth. Gerrard must be a sh*t boxer then!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #154: Jul 21, 2009 02:45:24 pm
      And the bloke only got a chipped tooth. Gerrard must be a sh*t boxer then!
      He boxes like a pro footballer, whatever that F***ing means - that prosecutor makes grabbing at straws an art form.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #155: Jul 21, 2009 02:49:08 pm
      If he hit him like a proffesional boxer several times and he wasnt the only one to hit him the guy must be made of granite. Wait for them to show their witnesses as it sounds like a lot of crap.I assume he will have a decent brief. the prosecutor has already said he did not instigate the matter and that an earlier attack from one of his friends was an elbow to the face so what is he supposed to have done.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #156: Jul 21, 2009 02:58:53 pm
      Think its getting about much more serious right now  :-\
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #157: Jul 21, 2009 02:59:26 pm
      His five or six co accused are all giving it a guilty so what do they want F***ing blood? For what reason is this being dragged out because if it was your run of the mill ABH it would have been well sorted by now.
      stevie92
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts |
      Reply #158: Jul 21, 2009 03:16:22 pm
      And now what happens i mean, is he going to jail or not?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8685 
      Reply #159: Jul 21, 2009 03:23:35 pm
      And now what happens i mean, is he going to jail or not?

Well he has to be found guilty first.

If there is no actual cctv coverage showing him chinning the manc and the his mates have effectively took the rap for him, the worst he'll get if found guilty is a slap on the wrist and fine.

That's IF he is found guilty.
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #160: Jul 21, 2009 03:35:08 pm
      If Stevie attacked someone "like a boxer" then surely the charges would be a lot bigger than affray?

Seems to me that the press (as usual) are getting a bit carried away with this.

Quick Reply