Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Liverpool FC vs Preston North End (FA Cup 3rd Round) : Pre Match

Read 18839 times
      clippy scouser
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Re: Liverpool FC vs Preston North End (FA Cup 3rd Round)
      Reply #23: Jan 01, 2009 10:02:07 pm
      hope torres gets at least 20-30 mins needs to get his fitness back.a.s.a.p...
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #24: Jan 01, 2009 10:10:55 pm
      well these lower level teams always up there game against premier league teams so put some good team players as subs. we have slipped up before. we dont want to draw and add to our schedule.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #25: Jan 02, 2009 12:09:16 am
      A mixture of fringe players and others with a point to prove i think.Lucas,keane,Ngog,Darby,caverleri,etc.As well as Torres and Fabio getting a run out i imagine.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #26: Jan 02, 2009 12:23:49 am
      we should be very careful, preston are a team on the up.... we need a strongish team with some fringe players in for experience
      gegson
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #27: Jan 02, 2009 12:54:59 am
      There are no small teams in football again, but i believe that with the mixture of both averagely rated players and players returning from injury preston north end is going down by 4 goals to 1.
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2009 03:26:56 am by redkenny, Reason: do not post in all capital letters »
      TommyLoft
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #28: Jan 02, 2009 01:12:56 am
      Won't be as one sided as people are predicting I don't think. Last time we played on ITV in the F.A Cup we hammered Wycombe so thats a positive sign.

I would go with some quite strong for the game because I think we might as go for the F.A Cup and go for the League and Cup double this season.

Reina

Darby Carra Skrtel Insua

Benayoun Alonso Lucas Babel

Keane Torres

How long is Arbeloa out for? Bit of a shame Gerrard is being rested, football will be able to take his mind off whats happening in his personal life.

2-1 win. Alonso and Skrtel.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #29: Jan 02, 2009 02:59:18 am
      THERE ARE NO SMALL TEAMS IN FOOTBALL AGAIN,BUT I BELIEVE THAT WITH THE MIXTURE OF BOTH AVERAGELY RATED PLAYERS AND PLAYERS RETURNING FROM INJURY PRESTON NORTH END IS GOING DOWN BY 4 GOALS TO 1.

I agree with you, especially with a few names coming back.

::)
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #30: Jan 02, 2009 06:29:14 am
      Tough game this one and I have know doubt we will see a lot of changes to the team with the bench full of heavyweights just in case we have to go for the win late on because the one thing we don't need is the draw. Anyone know if a draw will be a replay or pens?....
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #31: Jan 02, 2009 08:39:08 am
      Tough game this one and I have know doubt we will see a lot of changes to the team with the bench full of heavyweights just in case we have to go for the win late on because the one thing we don't need is the draw. Anyone know if a draw will be a replay or pens?....

Replay I think bartman49.
      vydex
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | -5 
      Reply #32: Jan 02, 2009 09:55:18 am

Definately a replay mate always is in the early rounds only goes to pens in the final I think
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,454 posts | 2848 
      Reply #33: Jan 02, 2009 10:47:25 am
      Definately a replay mate always is in the early rounds only goes to pens in the final I think

The semi finals go to pens as well if required.
      redmeanmachine
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #34: Jan 02, 2009 11:06:42 am
                               Cavalieri

Darby            Sami      Skrtel        Dossena

El Zhar          Gerrard    Lucas        Babel

Keane

Ngog

;D
      redmeanmachine
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #35: Jan 02, 2009 11:08:12 am
      Alan Irvine is too self-deprecating to publicise his transformation of Preston North End in his own words. His worries tell the tale just as well. This time last year the Scot took Preston to the foot of the Championship and began to listen to those who had earmarked him as the latest astute coach to slip on the first step into management.

Now his concerns centre on stopping Liverpool before Deepdale's biggest crowd since the early 1970s and trying to take that elusive leap into the Premier League. The sceptics have been silenced.

Typically, and vainly given his past as both a player and assistant manager at Everton, the North End manager insists tomorrow's FA Cup tie against the Premier League leaders is not about himself but a club competing in the play-off places with a fraction of the resources of its rivals. And a famous stadium that, now completely revamped in time for a live national television audience, will host a sell-out crowd of over 23,000 for the first time in four decades. All of which highlights the work of the man anxious to keep out of the spotlight.

Having replaced Paul Simpson with Preston languishing in the relegation zone in November 2007 the Glaswegian, as he puts it, "managed to make things worse". Bottom of the Championship at the start of 2008, Irvine ultimately led the Lancashire club to 15th and safety with a run of form that, as a self-made league table on his office wall emphasises, was bettered only by the promoted City's of Hull and Stoke in the second half of last season. The recovery commenced, however, with Irvine questioning the wisdom of his decision to leave "The Chosen One" and an Everton side competing in the Uefa Cup to go it alone.

"There were times last January when I thought back to the number of people who questioned me coming here," the 50-year-old admits. "At Everton I was probably in the securest job that you can get in football. It was a fantastic job at a club that means an awful lot to me and it was probably the worst time to leave. I didn't apply for this job. It was not as though I was looking to leave. I got a phone call asking if I was interested.

"I took a few days to think about it, weighed up all the pros and cons, and to be honest it was heavily weighted in favour of staying at Everton. But the overriding factor was that I had to have a go. I had a big question mark in my mind. I'd always have been asking 'What if I had done it?' and I would have doubted myself in terms of my own ambition and drive and determination. Was I staying at Everton because it was easy, safe and well within my comfort zone? The big thing was the "what if?" I had to find out."

Irvine had prepared for management since taking his coaching badges at 25. Having been accustomed to studying while working as an insurance broker and playing part-time for Queen's Park, he was bored with the free afternoons that came with the full-time life at Howard Kendall's Everton and needed something to do. It has proven a wise move that tomorrow will deliver its biggest showpiece so far.

"People will obviously link me and Everton with the game but the biggest thing is how important it is for the finances and the profile of the club," Irvine insists. "It's a fantastic draw but scary too, because Liverpool are capable of turning us over. Whoever they put out will be top internationals. It doesn't matter what team they pick, they would all get in our team. Liverpool have outstanding, world-class individuals but they play very much as a team. They know their jobs in and out of possession. They are a well-drilled team."

As are Liverpool's opponents. This season, having invested in mostly loan signings in the summer due to Preston's financial constraints, Irvine has continued where he left off last term to guide North End into contention for the play-offs. In the process, and in his own quietly efficient manner, Irvine has answered those who argued that, as the good cop to Moyes' bad at Everton, he is "too nice" to be a ruthless and successful manager.

"I'm a bad tempered so-and-so, I just don't show it too often," he says.

"I won't fail because I'm too nice. I hope people don't think I'm horrible either. I'm not vindictive and I won't try and stitch anyone up but I won't fail because I'm frightened to tell somebody what I think. The biggest thing of all is to be honest, but that doesn't mean you have to be cruel."
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #36: Jan 02, 2009 11:09:45 am
      I don't think Gerrard will play not after what has been happening, I don't think he would of played anyway, i think Rafa would of give him a rest.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #37: Jan 02, 2009 01:22:27 pm
      Wonder will Darby start tomorrow with Arbe out. Or will Rafa stick with Carra there

Reina

Darby Skrtel Agger Insua

Yossi Alonso Masch Riera

Babel Keane

That would do fo me
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #38: Jan 02, 2009 01:33:23 pm
      Link: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N162712090102-1319.htm

RAFA: GERRARD PLAYS, TORRES IN SQUAD

The Liverpool boss is expected to make changes for the Deepdale trip but his skipper will play after excelling since the squad returned to training on Wednesday.

In his first press conference since returning from a kidney stone operation, Benitez said: "Steven has been okay, training normally. I said in the statement that I've talked to him. I am supporting him 100 per cent. The best thing for us is that he is focused on football, training well and he will play tomorrow.

"Everyone has been supporting him. We know what's going on and it's clear that it's a special situation but we have to support him because we trust him."

Asked if Gerrard was mentally ready to play, Benitez added: "He will play, and that means, for me, he's ready.

"He is a professional and a very, very good one. He will just be thinking about football. Hopefully he will score some goals, play as well as he was before and everyone will be talking about the game."

On what kind of team will step out in Lancashire, and whether Torres will return after seven games out with a hamstring tear, Benitez said: "It will be a strong team and we'll try to keep the momentum.

"Maybe we will change some players but we'll still have a very good team on the pitch.

"Gerrard is playing well and hasn't played too many games - he was injured for a long time during different parts of the season. It's not like Dirk Kuyt, who has played every game.

"It's the same with Torres, who's been injured. He and Gerrard have not played too many games so they can play.

"Torres will be in the squad. If we need him he can play. He is not 100 per cent because he hasn't got the match fitness. But he is ready."

Benitez will be further boosted by the imminent return of Fabio Aurelio and Martin Skrtel from injury.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,717 posts | 3723 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #39: Jan 02, 2009 01:37:55 pm
      ^^^ This gives you many information about our 3 injuried players that are ready to play. Skrtel will play 'cos he already play some minutes against newcastle. torres as I said yesterday rafa will bring him in for the the last 15-20 minutes but about aurelio I don't have any clue if rafa will play him.

Therefore I will change my pred.team with only one player -->mascherano out, gerrard in

cavalieri
      Degen if fit /     Skrtel     Agger      Aurelio if fir /Insua
      Darby                  
                                   Lucas
      El Zhar                   Gerrard                        Babel
                       Keane                Ngog
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2009 02:49:05 pm by clint_call01, Reason: moved Gerrard forward »
      TommyLoft
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #40: Jan 02, 2009 02:44:10 pm

cavalieri
      Degen if fit /     Skrtel     Agger      Aurelio if fir /Insua
      Darby                  
                                   Gerrard
      El Zhar                     Lucas                           Babel
                       Keane                Ngog

Why would Gerrard play behind Lucas? When it hasn't happened all season. Lucas played as DM in the romping of Newcastle and let Gerrard do what you have Lucas doing. Not going to happen. Sorry.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,717 posts | 3723 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #41: Jan 02, 2009 02:48:11 pm
      ^^^ sorry mate but i made a mistake 'cos i had made that yesterday with mascherano in the team not gerrard. Today i put gerrard in and mascherano out but i didn't change gerrard to lucas. Thanks to notice mate.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #42: Jan 02, 2009 02:56:54 pm
      Now that I know Stevie G is playing it has a bearing on the prediction league so a change is in order. I thought if we end up throwing the second team in I could vision Preston going for a nil nil or one one if they could but with SG out on the pitch and El - Nino coming on in the last 15 to 20 mins that puts a different slant on the game....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #43: Jan 02, 2009 02:58:26 pm
      They're a decent side Preston - especially at home.  Anybody who thinks this is going to be a walk-over may be mistaken.

I think the one goal could settle it in either direction. 

Wouldn't surprise me if Melllor walked off the pitch with a goal to his name.
      TommyLoft
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #44: Jan 02, 2009 03:08:58 pm
      They're a decent side Preston - especially at home.  Anybody who thinks this is going to be a walk-over may be mistaken.

I think the one goal could settle it in either direction. 

Wouldn't surprise me if Melllor walked off the pitch with a goal to his name.

Exactly. They are flying at the Deepdale this season and their fans will be up for it and they will come out all gun's blazing. Neil Mellor will be well up for it tomorrow evening but if anyone will score for them it will be Callum Davidson. God knows why.

I'll stick with my 2-1 prediction of Gerrard and Skrtel.

The stick Gerrard is going to get tomorrow will be unreal. But our boys will be there to show their pride for Stevie. 'Ste Gerrard, Gerrard...'

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #45: Jan 02, 2009 03:52:38 pm
      Going for a tight away win i guess..

Quick Reply