Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Travel Thread

Read 3301 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,403 posts | 6408 
      Travel Thread
      Feb 12, 2013 02:36:11 pm
      Hadn't seen a thread about travel, thought it might be interesting to see where all people have traveled to, what they liked and didn't like and where they'd like to go.

I travel a good bit for my work and it's taken me across most of the US. My prior job took me overseas to Kiev (Ukraine) and Georgia (Tbilisi). Kiev was depressing to me, Georgia was a beautiful country, language barrier was tough for me in both though.

Only other out of the country type of travel was my honeymoon (Antigua) and a trip to Aruba with my family a long time ago. Liked both of the, but Antigua was my favorite by far.

I would love to go back over the pond and see England, Ireland, Scotland, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and Spain at some point but not sure when that's ever going to happen.

Obviously would love to visit Liverpool. My wife can trace some of her family back to Donegal in Ireland so we'd like to at least make it there one day as well.

Where has everyone been and where would you like to go?  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,033 posts | 3961 
      Re: Travel Thread
      Reply #1: Feb 12, 2013 03:23:42 pm
      Read your post mate and was thinking about the places in the world I've been to; as a matter of course the UK was not even considered having been to Wales, Scotland and Ireland more times than I care to remember.
      Then a thought struck me....I have never been to N. Ireland, don't ask me why but there you go. Suppose the troubles didn't help but heard loads of good things about NI, have to give it a go.
      Other than that been to France, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Albania, Israel, USA, UAE off the top of my head.
      Favourite place is Skiathos, a small island in the Aegean Sea off mainland Greece.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,313 posts | 4950 
      Reply #2: Feb 12, 2013 07:05:56 pm
      Then a thought struck me....I have never been to N. Ireland, don't ask me why but there you go. Suppose the troubles didn't help but heard loads of good things about NI, have to give it a go.

There's plenty if us who'd give you a warm welcome when you make it over Stuey!

It's a great place to visit and plenty to see and do while you're here.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,403 posts | 6408 
      Reply #3: Feb 12, 2013 07:09:09 pm
      What's Turkey like Stuey?

My mother is heading over there next month with a group of folks from our church.

And incidently what part of the States did you visit?
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #4: Feb 12, 2013 07:24:30 pm
      I've been about everywhere in Europe - you name it and I've been through it. I also spent years in the USA. I'm from and live again in Belgium but I will be moving to France in July.

My favorite places to be are Monaco, Malaga, Zurich and Le Havre.

Cheers all good thread
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,403 posts | 6408 
      Reply #5: Feb 12, 2013 07:29:11 pm
      I've been about everywhere in Europe - you name it and I've been through it. I also spent years in the USA. I'm from and live again in Belgium but I will be moving to France in July.

My favorite places to be are Monaco, Malaga, Zurich and Le Havre.

Cheers all good thread

How many languages do you speak? Do you make it a necessity to learn before you spend an extended amount of time somewhere?

The language barrier was rough for me when I went overseas. Just wasn't prepared for how hard it would be to communicate with folks.

I was in the airport in Portland last month and a young man walked up to me and didn't speak any English (he was Italian) and he was trying to find baggage. I helped him on his way but damn...unless he was going to be meeting someone there I couldn't help but feel sorry for him being alone in a "foreign" country with no language skills. Luckily when I was in Ukraine and Georgia I was with my best friend and we could at least look lost together ;D
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #6: Feb 12, 2013 07:39:29 pm
      How many languages do you speak? Do you make it a necessity to learn before you spend an extended amount of time somewhere?

The language barrier was rough for me when I went overseas. Just wasn't prepared for how hard it would be to communicate with folks.

I was in the airport in Portland last month and a young man walked up to me and didn't speak any English (he was Italian) and he was trying to find baggage. I helped him on his way but damn...unless he was going to be meeting someone there I couldn't help but feel sorry for him being alone in a "foreign" country with no language skills. Luckily when I was in Ukraine and Georgia I was with my best friend and we could at least look lost together ;D

I grew up in Dutch and French speaking parts of my country so I learned both very early. English is a very common language as well in Belgium. Very diverse country but it wasn't until I moved to America for University that I really became a product of the language.

I speak a little Spanish and Italian but I wouldn't say I am fluent.

Funny enough mate I have never spent time in Ukraine or Georgia :(
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,033 posts | 3961 
      Reply #7: Feb 12, 2013 08:01:35 pm
      What's Turkey like Stuey?

My mother is heading over there next month with a group of folks from our church.

And incidently what part of the States did you visit?

Turkey is good mate and there's something for everyone, depends what you're after the likes of Marmaris are real touristy and commercial but there are more traditional places and quieter spots even in Marmaris. Went to a place called Kalish Beach over there a few times, whereabouts is your mother going?

We went to Sutton, Massachusetts, been there a few times cos my bro in law lives there. He married an American girl and they got two daughters, he has a football academy over there - guess what team is all over the walls?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,403 posts | 6408 
      Reply #8: Feb 12, 2013 08:10:14 pm
      Turkey is good mate and there's something for everyone, depends what you're after the likes of Marmaris are real touristy and commercial but there are more traditional places and quieter spots even in Marmaris. Went to a place called Kalish Beach over there a few times, whereabouts is your mother going?
      Best I know she is going to be near Kusadesi. She'll be visiting the ruins of the ancient city of Ephesus.

We went to Sutton, Massachusetts, been there a few times cos my bro in law lives there. He married an American girl and they got two daughters, he has a football academy over there - guess what team is all over the walls?

I sure hope it's LFC ;D

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,033 posts | 3961 
      Reply #9: Feb 12, 2013 08:19:48 pm
      Best I know she is going to be near Kusadesi. She'll be visiting the ruins of the ancient city of Ephesus.

The history of Turkey just takes your breath away, I'm sure your mother will have a great time.

I sure hope it's LFC ;D

You bet your ass.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,033 posts | 3961 
      Reply #10: Feb 12, 2013 08:22:23 pm
      There's plenty if us who'd give you a warm welcome when you make it over Stuey!

It's a great place to visit and plenty to see and do while you're here.

Have to sort it out Si, sounds great mate.

Quick Reply