Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Xabi in new injury blow

Read 9651 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Xabi in new injury blow
      Reply #23: Jan 04, 2009 08:13:52 pm
      I reckon Xabi will miss Stoke, but will be back for the Derbies.

Still maintain it's Xabi that controls our midfield, and this was shown yesterday, would not had half the problems we had in second half had Alonso been on the field.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: Xabi in new injury blow
      Reply #24: Jan 04, 2009 08:41:24 pm
      Hope Xabi will be alright, he doesn't go down easily

Too much information.
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #25: Jan 04, 2009 08:43:47 pm
      A gash would be a few days, and if it was even half as severe as Cesc's injury, he wouldn't have been able to walk at all.

Not sure 7 stitches in your instep would be a few days. Can you imagine how sore that would be, and how you'd risk opening it up every time you kicked the ball? 7 stitches in the side of your head or leg is one thing, but in your instep?

Might need a week or two without kicking a ball. But hopefully there'll be no further damage.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #26: Jan 04, 2009 08:46:48 pm
      Agree ^ - if I had seven stitches in my instep I'd be in bed for a fortnight I reckon. Or walking round on them huge air bubble wrapping that you get all your ebay junk in.

Have to be looking for a race to be fit for the Madrid clashes in my opinion.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,521 posts | 2874 
      Reply #27: Jan 04, 2009 09:18:02 pm
      A pretty big blow to miss him for both derbies though...

We'll sill thrash them though! :D
      YNWA8
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #28: Jan 04, 2009 09:30:09 pm
      It's very sad that Alonso got injuired in a hectical period. He is the most influential and essensial midfieler to balance the midfield. We saw how the team drastically lost the ball when Alonso was taken off the pitch. I hope the the best wishes to him.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #29: Jan 04, 2009 09:56:02 pm
      footballers used to be men, now, well....let's say this...i once played 5 months to the end of the season with a gash down my shin that re-opened and bled every time i played...alan hansen played for years with dodgy knees....shankly once told "Iron Man" Tommy Smith to "take that bandage off you look like a poof"....blah blah...

what i am getting at is that i will be very disappointed if alonso doesn't declare himself ready to play if it is ONLY a gash without any other damage....i mean, come on, stitches, super glue, padding, strappng, etc....it's only a flippin' cut
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,521 posts | 2874 
      Reply #30: Jan 04, 2009 10:00:56 pm
      footballers used to be men, now, well....let's say this...I once played 5 months to the end of the season with a gash down my shin that re-opened and bled every time I played...alan hansen played for years with dodgy knees....shankly once told "Iron Man" Tommy Smith to "take that bandage off you look like a poof"....blah blah...

what I am getting at is that I will be very disappointed if alonso doesn't declare himself ready to play if it is ONLY a gash without any other damage....I mean, come on, stitches, super glue, padding, strappng, etc....it's only a flippin' cut

You play at modern day Premier League pace with 7 stiches at the part of the foot you pass with and perform to Liverpool standard and then I'll agree with you.
      crouchysrobot
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 311 posts |
      Reply #31: Jan 04, 2009 10:05:04 pm
      footballers used to be men, now, well....let's say this...i once played 5 months to the end of the season with a gash down my shin that re-opened and bled every time i played...alan hansen played for years with dodgy knees....shankly once told "Iron Man" Tommy Smith to "take that bandage off you look like a poof"....blah blah...

what i am getting at is that i will be very disappointed if alonso doesn't declare himself ready to play if it is ONLY a gash without any other damage....i mean, come on, stitches, super glue, padding, strappng, etc....it's only a flippin' cut

There's a difference between stitches on a knee and a foot. You put 80+ pounds of weight on each foot, the chances of it bleeding all over the place are much greater, not to mention how much more pain there is. Also, I would much rather have him out for a few weeks and replace him, than have him play poorly for a few months while we've got other perfectly fit players sitting on the bench. That just doesn't make any sense.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #32: Jan 04, 2009 10:14:36 pm
      probably 2 weeks mimuimin will probably hear the news monday or tuesday. the schedule looks easy. there is no doubt he is important but we thought torres was important and look what happened. you also have to be lucky to win the title and we seem to have a lock on that this year.come on reds we can overcome all obstacles that are thrown at us because we are #1
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #33: Jan 05, 2009 12:20:55 am
      of course the best is to keep him out until he is 100% fit to avoid complicating the injury. It's not a tear in a musle or something at least.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #34: Jan 05, 2009 12:24:32 am
      It's not a tear in a musle or something at least.

We don't know that yet mate, but it's best to remain optimistic, eh? ;)
      Milestone
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      • Liverpool FC - The only club to watch in England
      Alonso
      Reply #35: Jan 05, 2009 05:44:56 am
      Get well soon pal and then help the reds win the treble..yes...we can....
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #36: Jan 05, 2009 07:32:26 am
      please xabi .. get well soon and recover quickly .. i hope this doesn't end up like fabregas' injury !! Get well soon mr.master class passing ! So know i guess rafa wil have  a two man midfeild now .. he'll problably use a 4-4-2 and not bring lucas on against stoke !
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #37: Jan 05, 2009 08:02:54 am
      Lucas has shown that he has been improving and would be taking Xabi's place if Rafa wants 5 in midfield. We can also go 4-4-2 with Torres and Keane upfront.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #38: Jan 05, 2009 08:19:17 am
      An opportunity for Spearing?

Merseyside Derby?
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #39: Jan 05, 2009 08:39:24 am
      Absolutely! He really impressed and he needs more opportunities, and what better than against the bitters!!!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #40: Jan 05, 2009 01:33:25 pm
      An opportunity for Spearing?

Merseyside Derby?

I'll bet if he plays he'll get sent off, i can tell ::)
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #41: Jan 05, 2009 01:34:53 pm
      We may have to get a spare midfielder after all
      mormarijn
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts |
      Reply #42: Jan 05, 2009 02:05:55 pm
      Get Lucas on instead of Xabi until he's completely, for 100 percent, recovered from his injury. Lucas performed well every game he played, but he should be a little bit more agressive, like Gerrard and Kuijt. That's the right spirit!
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #43: Jan 05, 2009 02:20:57 pm
      Any update on his injury ?

Look on the bright side. He will get the rest & come back fresh & eager for our champions league game & blow them apart.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #44: Jan 05, 2009 02:23:17 pm
      Lucas performed well every game he played

Are we talking about the same guy here...?
      mormarijn
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts |
      Reply #45: Jan 05, 2009 02:28:23 pm
      Are we talking about the same guy here...?

Lucas Leiva, ofcourse he is not as good as Xabi or Mascherano, but if he gets more and more playtime he can become a key player in the future. But if you keep him on the bench, which is truly clear (if you have Xabi and Mascherano to choose from), all of the time, yes, then he's not the best player around. I don't know if you play football yourself, but I do and if you play for 30 mins you cannot get the best out of yourself and that's just disappointing afterwards.

Quick Reply