Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Stoke v Liverpool: Pre-match

Read 9871 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Stoke v Liverpool: Pre-match
      Jan 07, 2009 07:00:40 pm
                vs.       

The last time we played Stoke, they ended up parking the bus at Anfield, and I think we can safely blame them for the fact that we haven't been able to break teams down at Anfield - it's purely psychological. ;)

Expecting Stoke to be a bit more attacking in the reverse, which will open up space for us and allow us more room and mobility on the ball.

3-0.

Expected line-up: Reina, Carragher, Agger, Skrtel, Aurelio, Mascherano, Kuyt, Gerrard, Riera, Keane, Torres - 4-4-2 diamond formation.
      redman2907
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 125 posts | 13 
      Re: Stoke v Liverpool: Pre-match
      Reply #1: Jan 07, 2009 07:05:18 pm
      i think they will have to come at us at home there crowd wont accept them sitting 11 men behind the ball like at anfield. i think team will be  reina  carra  agger  sami  aurellio  riera lucas masch kuyt gerrard torres   
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Jan 07, 2009 07:11:57 pm
      I would like to see Keane and Torres paired for this but Rafa may well drop Keane or keep Torres out, opting for the one striker.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #3: Jan 07, 2009 07:12:04 pm
      I'd like to see the 3-5-2 used against teams like these, but we don't really have anyone down the right that can defend and attack like Arbeloa can.

I reckon the team will be:
      Reina
      Carra  Agger  Sami  Aurelio
      Masch
      Kuyt    Stevie    Riera
      Keane  Torres
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Jan 07, 2009 08:18:17 pm
      We cant play one striker, we have to attack in numbers and break them down at home. Fernando and Robbie to play together with Stevie just behind.

Reina

Carragher         Hyypia            Agger           Aurellio

Kuyt              Gerrard            Alonso           Riera

Torres            Keane

I think in attack it will be a 2-4-4 with just Agger and Hyypia staying back, definately have to crack them early. Hyypia's selection is vital with their long throw tactic.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5: Jan 07, 2009 08:27:47 pm
      Big game this, with the Chavs playing the scum we must win to take advantage of of the obvious outcome of their game, some one will lose points, so we must win. Thankfully it is not at Anfield so the so called "Anfield Problem" will not raise its ugly head.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #6: Jan 07, 2009 09:04:18 pm
      I think :                   
                                         Reina

Arbeloa            Hyypia            Carragher      Aurellio

Kuyt              Gerrard        Mascherano           Riera

Keane
                                      Torres           

Us to win 2 - 0
      Torres scoring first, Riera scoring second.
      ohcampione
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #7: Jan 07, 2009 09:52:02 pm
                            Reina
      Carra     Agger          Hyypia    Aureilo

Lucas     Masch
      Kuyt                                Riera
                        Gerrard
             Torres
      ________________________ __________
      I like to see Nando and keane start up front
      But i cant see him doing it.
      We'll need sami and Agger on top form to
      deal wit stokes long ball.

I reckon   :-\ 2 - 0 Reds. . .

Also anyone selling a ticket for face value or in and around it get back to me pls ...
      MsGerrard
      Reply #8: Jan 07, 2009 11:03:47 pm
      Welcome to the forum ohcampione.............. ..I wanted to go to this match as well, It wouldn't have been far for me to go ;D

Never mind, just hope we win, I'll be happy with one nil to be honest, just as long as we get the three points.

I don't really care who Rafa plays, as long as its the winning team  ;)

I expect to see Doss back with Insua being away, although Aurelio is fit again isn't he? so he might play, I hope he does.

I would also like to see Keane up front with Torres, or at the very least playing just behind him, and Stevie playing just behind Keane.

We'll see...........I have faith in Rafa and Sammy  :aaliverpool2xt1:

Come on the Mighty Reds !!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #9: Jan 07, 2009 11:47:26 pm
      Stoke will be physical and I think even at home they'll be looking for a draw.

This is a chance for us to extend our lead at the top, even if it's just for a matter of hours. We can't let games like this pass us by, we've got to be ruthless and give them a real going over. With Torres in the side (if he starts) we should be more clinical up front. A goal early on would be the worst thing for Stoke because it would be fill your boots time for Liverpool then, as they'd have to attack to try and avoid defeat. So for the first 20 minutes we should go at them and really blow them away.

Looking forward to this game. Getting butterflies already because of our league position, I'm anticiptating games much more this year. Come on Reds!!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #10: Jan 08, 2009 12:08:34 am
      Stoke gave United a good going over the other week at their ground and were unlucky to lose 1-0.  And don't forget they beat the Arsenal there.

I don't think this will be a walk in the park at all and I don't think Stoke will look for the draw either. They ddin't against the Mancs.

Stoke against the other big clubs

v Man Utd (H) 0-1
      v Man Utd (A) 0-5
      v Arsenal (H) 2-1
      v Chelsea (H) 0-2
      v Liverpool (A) 0-0
      Bowlesy88
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Reply #11: Jan 08, 2009 12:18:04 am
      "stoke have the ability to cause us problems but i can see us overcoming them if we play well"

to para pharse FM, god im sad ;D

just look to the way the dealt with arsenal, their a very physical team, which affected arsenal in a big way, not allowing them to build their attacks as they like too. but we re also quite physical sometimes, espically say gerrard and obv. masch.

i dont think torres will play 90, n id like to see keane start, torres will just end to getting crunched. keanes got a big more about him in that respect.

n then or cousre theres rory deplap, but we havent seen much of him lately and i think hes had to have injections in his shoulders to stop the pain of a reoccuring injury.

all in all tho id expect a hard fought 2-0 vistory
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #12: Jan 08, 2009 12:23:56 am
      I'd go with 5 midfield and lone striker if Xabi plays. If he doesn't, Stevie drops back to midfield with 2 strikers. Torres to get a couple of goals? why not? all his goals have came away from anfield!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #13: Jan 08, 2009 12:35:18 am
      Stoke gave United a good going over the other week at their ground and were unlucky to lose 1-0.  And don't forget they beat the Arsenal there.

I don't think this will be a walk in the park at all and I don't think Stoke will look for the draw either. They ddin't against the Mancs.

Stoke against the other big clubs

v Man Utd (H) 0-1
      v Man Utd (A) 0-5
      v Arsenal (H) 2-1
      v Chelsea (H) 0-2
      v Liverpool (A) 0-0

Thing is though, the mancs haven't been on top of their form and the best way to beat or attempt to beat the mancs is by getting stuck right into them anyway.

I think a lot of teams know that getting stuck into us is likely to end up with them hitting a brick wall. Either that, or the worse thing they can do is go one or two goals up against us the way things are panning out this season.

It's all about us playing like league leaders now. Having that desire to stay top and keep letting the others play catch up.

We're well capable of doing this and as much as I'm not going to dismiss Stoke or any team we play for that matter. I think the best thing we can do is keep knocking on the door and make sure we take chances.

Get into them from the off, get that first goal and then let them come at us. Because we'll pick them off if we do.

Stoke got away with it at Anfield. We had a genuine goal disallowed, we pressured them playing football yet they played the frustration card. Especially with their keeper displaying the worst case of time wasting I've seen this season. I don't think they'll play such strong tactics at home, but I still think they'll try to frustrate us.

We owe them a beating and a good footballing lesson. Let's take this chance to put that game at Anfield earlier in the season to bed.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #14: Jan 08, 2009 02:26:51 am
      I am dying to see how we will take this match on as league leaders in to the new year. I dont think they will be so defensive this time around, they certianly werent against the Scum which I think will be a great opportunity to play them off the park. Our midfiled link up has been excellent in the last few games so I would like to see this continue even without Xabi in the side. I am not sure if Rafa will start with Nando it could be a bit too soon and then knowing Rafa i fully expect him to play Masch and Lucas in the centre with Gerrard behind Keane. Personally I would go with Keane and Torres from the start but we will have to wait and see. It is crucial that we get the all 3 points here as the Chavs go up against the Scum and a draw is very possible.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #15: Jan 08, 2009 05:18:55 am
      my team would be

reina
      carra
      agger
      hyypia
      dossena
      kuyt
      masch
      gerrard
      riera
      keane
      torres

should be able to score 3 or 4 past stoke with nando back firing on all cylinders
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #16: Jan 08, 2009 05:59:26 am
      I think we need to try and score as early as possible to get them to open up and attack us which in turn will open more space for Gerrard to work with which ever striker Rafa decides to play and in doing so will create more chances for us. I don't think leaving it for the second half when things usually open up will do against Stoke as they proved last time that they willing to sit in the box and just get in the way of every thing and frustrate the hell out of us. 
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #17: Jan 08, 2009 07:31:37 am
      Stoke will be physical and I think even at home they'll be looking for a draw.

We saw it against United. Even when they went a goal down they played 11 men behind the ball and the only one who was willing to go forward was Ricardo Fuller (he's suspended for this, isn't he?).

Stoke won't come at us looking for a win. They'll try and nab something on the counter in between defending.

We'll need all the players we can that can break down teams. Alonso, if fit.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #18: Jan 08, 2009 08:04:44 am
      If we can get a 2 goal lead by half time, it would open up the game.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #19: Jan 08, 2009 09:10:19 am
      This game will be very, very important for us. We must capitalise on the other teams facing each other and pull away as much as possible. The best scenario will be the 2 scum drawn their game, Both teams will loss point. That is why we must WIN this game and get the 3 points.

This will put more pressure on them, especially manu, knowing that they must go into a game for the win only. Any slip from them will put more distance between us.

I don't think Xabi will play, Torres? I think he will only come in during the 2nd half. We should have almost the full squad to choose from and the rest as well. Its time to show our champion calibre and beat them good from the frustration of the home draw with them earlier.

Looking forward to the game coming soon.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #20: Jan 08, 2009 09:16:00 am
      ^^^
      Yeah a draw between manure and chelski would do us good, both of them losing points will help us pull away slightly more providing we can break Stoke, which i think we can do.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #21: Jan 08, 2009 10:21:46 am
      Rafa will I think go with the same team except for Xabi so he will either drop Stevie back to the middle with Keane playing in the hole and bring in Nando up front or bring in Lucas with Stevie playing in the hole and keane up front with Nando sitting this out until we hit 60mins, Stoke are bruisers who go in hard and sometimes they are wound up a little to much so why risk Xabi and Nando. Nando will get his match fitness best when he isn't being kicked from piller to post and with players tiring around the 60th minute that's when Fernando can do most damage.... 
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #22: Jan 08, 2009 10:42:52 am
      Stoke FC do not have the quality available to match Liverpool,with this in mind the prospect of them camping out in their own half like it's an away game looks more than likely.Riera will run them ragged and I would take him to score at least once with Torres and Keane chipping away a two or three goal advantage looks on the cards,thats without even a mention of our game winning captain - Gerrard will continue to silence the cynics with another class performance.
      Elnino08
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #23: Jan 08, 2009 11:28:21 am
      We owe them from earlier this season and will have too much for them with Nando back, hatrick from r kid!!Great chance to pull away at the top, come on Redmen!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #24: Jan 08, 2009 11:52:09 am
      Yet again another prematch thread with some very optimistic predictions as usual and a lot of people taking Stoke and this game lightly. I dont think this will be a wallk in the park (I sincerley hope i am wrong) but they will be keen to get a result as the relagation battle looms over them. I would take any win even a scrappy 1-0!
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #25: Jan 08, 2009 12:55:59 pm
      I have gone for a hard fought 1-0 win, Stoke have already proved they are no push overs when playing at home.

Come on Red men prove me wrong and knock in half a dozen
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #26: Jan 08, 2009 12:57:32 pm
      I dont want manure to win but I ant chelsea to loose ! If we take full point which we will there is nothing more we can do ..we'll just have to wait and see what happens in scumchester vs chelski ! I dont think we shouldn't play alonso if he's not fully fit ...we need him for the derby games coming up ! I'd go for the  4-4-2 wiht riera and benny as wingers and carra as a right back with skrtel coming in and kuyt and torres up front or torres and keane up front ..too bad alvaro is injured !
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2009 01:06:15 pm by niksluvslfc »
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #27: Jan 08, 2009 01:02:51 pm
      Stokes priority is to stay in the premiership.

Against the top teams they will play the same game home or away with 11 men behind the ball.  Only a couple of goals conceded will change this and as has already been stated they left 11 men behind the ball even when Man U went ahead at the Britannia Ground.

I think it will be a close game or we will fill our boots.  An early couple of goals will ease my nerves and lead to a goal fest but It wouldn't be Liverpool if I'm not biting my nails to the knuckle before the end.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #28: Jan 08, 2009 02:48:25 pm
      We should take this opportunity to increase our goal difference if it's possible. I'm happy with our away form :) but lets try to take all the chances we have and kill the game off early. Come Fernando, do what you do best!
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #29: Jan 08, 2009 04:03:29 pm
      Stoke are a physical team. They will battle for 90 minutes (with 11 men behind the ball). I'm doubting whether or not to risk Nando, because we may need him to help finish off our chances, but after his injuries I'm not sure it's a good idea.
      Also, Sami must play, him at the back would help us from their long throws.

Do they have Fuller or is he still suspended?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #30: Jan 08, 2009 05:50:34 pm
      Dont care who starts and if it only finishes 1 nil. 3 points is all that matters. Come 6 oclock Sunday evening we could be 5 ahead of Chelsea and 9 ahead of utd. Thats the bottom line
      kdz
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #31: Jan 08, 2009 07:50:12 pm
      We cant play one striker, we have to attack in numbers and break them down at home. Fernando and Robbie to play together with Stevie just behind.

Reina

Carragher         Hyypia            Agger           Aurellio

Kuyt              Gerrard            Alonso           Riera

Torres            Keane

I think in attack it will be a 2-4-4 with just Agger and Hyypia staying back, definately have to crack them early. Hyypia's selection is vital with their long throw tactic.
      I agree with Crouchinho, Sammi has to be in there, I would like to see Elzah on the bench to get a run out if the lads do a proper job early on and don`t leave us with no finger nails
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #32: Jan 08, 2009 07:53:31 pm
      I personally don't think Alonso or Keane will start.

Lucas and Mascherano in midfield with Gerrard ahead and Torres upfront!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #33: Jan 08, 2009 10:20:28 pm
      I personally don't think Alonso or Keane will start.

Lucas and Mascherano in midfield with Gerrard ahead and Torres upfront!
      Doubt if Alonso even makes the bench mate,like to see Keane feature - the more games he gets under his belt the better.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #34: Jan 08, 2009 11:04:41 pm
      I've gotta admit that I am very surprised this only has three pages at the moment and barely three pages at that. Now I know there's another day and a half before the match, but it's still a massive game for Liverpool. It might not be the big glamour game, but at this stage of the season with the position we're in it is a big game.

I still can't wait for the match personally, it is a big game for us to add extra pressure on the game between Chelsea/United. Three points for us against Stoke will be a huge boost to us because it'll kick our league performances in 2009 with a victory, as well keeping our winning run going. Now Stoke are a physical side, fighting relegation so they'll be in our faces from the off. They'll be hard to break down and hope to catch us out with the Delap throw and other set peices. They still have a decent keeper in Sorensen, along with plenty of experinced players in their ranks.

The longer it goes 0-0 the harder it'll become to break them down, so we need to score early. Hopefully with a fully fit Torres and a football concentrating Gerrard, goals shouldn't be too difficult. I think this is the chance for Keane and Torres to partner each other up top with Xabi's injury. I think Sami should be a starter because on the odd occasion Stoke will get forward their major threat will be in the air. Now I expect Arbeloa to be recalled to right back, so it's either Carra or Agger who misses out. For me it's a no-brainer which leaves our number 5 on the bench and the media will read into that as he's unsettled. Left back is a toss up.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #35: Jan 08, 2009 11:09:00 pm
      I've gotta admit that I am very surprised this only has three pages at the moment and barely three pages at that. Now I know there's another day and a half before the match, but it's still a massive game for Liverpool. It might not be the big glamour game, but at this stage of the season with the position we're in it is a big game.

I still can't wait for the match personally, it is a big game for us to add extra pressure on the game between Chelsea/United. Three points for us against Stoke will be a huge boost to us because it'll kick our league performances in 2009 with a victory, as well keeping our winning run going. Now Stoke are a physical side, fighting relegation so they'll be in our faces from the off. They'll be hard to break down and hope to catch us out with the Delap throw and other set peices. They still have a decent keeper in Sorensen, along with plenty of experinced players in their ranks.

The longer it goes 0-0 the harder it'll become to break them down, so we need to score early. Hopefully with a fully fit Torres and a football concentrating Gerrard, goals shouldn't be too difficult. I think this is the chance for Keane and Torres to partner each other up top with Xabi's injury. I think Sami should be a starter because on the odd occasion Stoke will get forward their major threat will be in the air. Now I expect Arbeloa to be recalled to right back, so it's either Carra or Agger who misses out. For me it's a no-brainer which leaves our number 5 on the bench and the media will read into that as he's unsettled. Left back is a toss up.

Arbeloa won't be playing against Stoke.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,886 posts | 6818 
      Reply #36: Jan 09, 2009 08:26:07 am
      Wow, I was expecting to come on here and see some pretty big predicitons. How wrong was I   ???

I'm hoping we take them to the cleaners but as long as we get the 3 points that's all that matters. Hopefully the Chavs v Manc game is 0-0.

I'm pretty sure that Xabi won't play, not sure if Masch picked up an injury either....I honestly think Rafa will play SG in midfield next to Lucas and give Robbie and Fernando a chance up front together.

Hoping Sami plays too.....I really do feel a sense of defensive security when he's on the park....not to mention a whole lot better with him in the box when we have a corner.

Come on you Reds...let's extend the gap at the top.  2-0 for me with Fernando and Robbie netting one each.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #37: Jan 09, 2009 08:45:32 am
      I think Carra is gonna go right so 3 of the centre backs will play. Hyypia should deal with their long throws and balls.
      It is a must win game especially with United and Chelsea playing and one of them is sure to drop points.

come on reds, get the 3 points and increase the lead.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #38: Jan 09, 2009 11:16:38 am
      for the first time this season I'm already starting to feel the nerves.i would feel more relaxed if we where playing a bigger more established side!every game now is our biggest game of the season so far.its going to be a real battle,stoke will be really up for the game but we should be more motivated than them.were in a title race and with man u and Chelsea playing the next day only three points will do as usuall.
      as carragher said in a interview its now that draws are really bad results.we've got away with a few draws but now i feel that we wont get away with them in the second half of the season.
      i predict a 1-0 win.not very confident i know but I'm just a bit nervous!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #39: Jan 09, 2009 11:27:55 am

Reina

Carragher         Hyypia            Agger           Aurellio

Kuyt              Gerrard            Alonso           Riera

Torres            Keane

With confirmation Xabi is out, i'd put Lucas in.

Really need to thump these bludgers too boost our ego abit ahead of a tough back end to the season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #40: Jan 09, 2009 11:52:46 am
      Agree with DLS - this is a massive game.  Our first chance of 2009 to do some Premiership damage and looking back at 1997 this is where the wheels began to fall off our title charge.

A win against Stoke will automatically increase the gap over Man United or Chelsea or both - due to them playing each other.

If we land a win against Stoke we will have one of the following cushions against the two challengers:

Chelsea (3) United (4)*
      Chelsea (5) United (3)*
      Chelsea (6) United (1)*

* Assuming United win both their games in hand.

Torres is back, but Insua is gone and Alonso is injured.

I'm not expecting a huge win, Stoke have a good ground and a good support and have some quick players in their side.  But I'm hoping that not only will we outmatch their ability but also their determination and graft.  If the Liverpool players decide to go out and win this game then I'm sure we will.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #41: Jan 09, 2009 11:54:26 am
      We need to go into this game with all guns blazing ,Fernando aint going to be match fit yet so dont think we can put to much onto him ,its been said so many times Keane needs to step up ,just hope we get an early goal to settle us and let us get on with playing ,we could do without a dogfight because thats where we seem to come unstuck.Think Carra Agger and Sami will play,just hope Rafa dont get to defensive ,we need to get them early and kick the fckers when they are down.
      Bristol Scouse
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 101 posts |
      Reply #42: Jan 09, 2009 12:07:23 pm
      I think as we are away against a team that has shown itself to be dangerous against certain oppositon I think Rafa will be relatively cautious as this is the sort of fixture that can be a real banana skin, that said I think it will be Sami and Agger at CB, and Stevie and Lucas in the middle to give us a good solid spine. to be honest, they aint gonna park the bus like they did at our place they need points and have to go for it so I think we can soak up anything they throw and hit on the counter, 3-0 Liverpool, lets hope that the mancs and chavs cancel each other out 0-0
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #43: Jan 09, 2009 02:09:22 pm
      great opportunity here especially if manchester and chelsea draw which is the best result for us. interesting to see team selection. if they play defensive less chance of 3 points. will will know wether we have improved from the last time we played them. a real litmus test for us. come on red yes we can.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #44: Jan 09, 2009 02:13:57 pm
      Apparently Rafa has just given old Whiskey Nose some stick at the pre match press conference just been on Radio City News
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #45: Jan 09, 2009 03:38:30 pm
      Apparently Rafa has just given old Whiskey Nose some stick at the pre match press conference just been on Radio City News

Just shown a bit of it on Sky Sports News.
      westerlies
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts | -1 
      Reply #46: Jan 09, 2009 06:29:59 pm
      I predict a narrow win but any score will do as long as we can grab a precious away victory.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #47: Jan 09, 2009 06:37:44 pm
      We need to go into this game with all guns blazing ,Fernando aint going to be match fit yet so dont think we can put to much onto him ,its been said so many times Keane needs to step up ,just hope we get an early goal to settle us and let us get on with playing ,we could do without a dogfight because thats where we seem to come unstuck.Think Carra Agger and Sami will play,just hope Rafa dont get to defensive ,we need to get them early and kick the fckers when they are down.

Rafa has said that Torres is just shy of 100% match fitness. No source, but I do remember reading it somewhere.
      red kop
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 179 posts | -8 
      Reply #48: Jan 09, 2009 07:14:31 pm
      The only way is playing attacking football , tight marking a lot of pressure and a lot of goals , in rafa we trust come on u red men show no mercy take no prisoners  . Im confident we will win comfortably on saturday cant see any other way .
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #49: Jan 09, 2009 09:06:02 pm
      Attack from the off and i think that we will over power them this time and end up writing off that bus they are going to have parked in their box.

Also Torres is back so good luck to the Stoke back line ;)

4-0 win
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #50: Jan 09, 2009 09:34:49 pm
      An early goal is essential. If they weren't planning on coming out and attacking us, they will be if we go 1-0 in the first 20 minutes. If Griffin is playing I would get Torres to hang just off of him. He's old, slow and sh*t at defending. if we score early it will probably force them to play a higher line. Which will enable Stevie to get Torres in behind. Once Torres is away neither of their centre backs are catching him.
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #51: Jan 09, 2009 09:48:55 pm
      As everyone has already said we need to get an early goal, the longer it goes on at 0-0 then the harder it is going to get for us. The britannia is a difficult place to go, small pitch with barely any width, so we are going to have to attack down the centre. If we can get an early goal then Im confident we can go on and smash these for 6, but we have players who can scrap when needed and that will be important in this game. So if we don't score early then we are going to have to be patient, I'm confident we will breakthrough eventually.

Because their pitch gives little chance for width then as I said we will have to attack through the centre, so with that in mind I would go with this team.

Reina

Carra Hypiia Agger Dossena

El Zhar Lucas Gerrard Riera

Keane Torres

Not sure if masch is fit for this one, anyone confirm? Anyway even if he is I would still go for Lucas more of an attacking threat (if he can carry on recent form) Hypiia at the back to deal with the long throws, and Agger as he can bring the ball out from defence, and dossena has been ok in the oppositions half and Im not anticipating to much defending for us, so lets hope he can give us a performance. El Zhar might surprise a few, but he is a player who can create chances for people. Keane and Torres obviously up top.

But thats only how I would play it so doubt Rafa would copy me!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #52: Jan 09, 2009 09:54:54 pm
      All agreed then, a win is a must. No Xabi, Gerard and Masch in the  C.Mid. Riera on the left,  What about Pennant on the right ? Can't stand him myself but he'll be itching to put on a big show for any prospective buyers. Will probably run his balls off and may get some good crosses in as well as a bit of defensive work. He can't afford to have a bad game can he. With kuytt to run them into the ground second half. Torres and Keane up front, Carra, Agger Sami at the back, not sure who I prefer at left back from who's available. Pity Insua's gone for 3 weeks. Don't think Stoke have to much pace up front so I thimk Rafa will give Dossena another run. He seems to have a soft spot for him. Riena in goal, another clean sheet, 2 - 0 to the reds I think.   As long as we win, the pressure on the scum and chavs will be enormous on Sun. Brilliant. Y.N.W.A. ;D ;D
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #53: Jan 09, 2009 10:01:27 pm
      if we score early it will probably force them to play a higher line.

Not true, I don't think.
      We saw against United that even after they scored, they sat 11 men behind the ball. They had 1 player who was willing to attack. That 1 player is currently suspended.
      They'll sit back for 90 minutes, whatever happens, I reckon.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #54: Jan 09, 2009 10:20:50 pm
      Not true, I don't think.
      We saw against United that even after they scored, they sat 11 men behind the ball. They had 1 player who was willing to attack. That 1 player is currently suspended.
      They'll sit back for 90 minutes, whatever happens, I reckon.

Even if we went a goal up early on? I think they'd have to come out and attack if they wanted to take anything from the game. If their back four don't move up then their midfield would have to, to have any chance of getting a result. If the back four didn't move with them it'd leave a huge gap of space in the final third for Stevie to play with.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #55: Jan 09, 2009 10:33:37 pm
      I think typical 4-5-1. Lucas instead of xabi, Benny on the right, Torres up top.
      Liverman
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #56: Jan 09, 2009 10:50:03 pm
      --------------------------------Reina--------------------------------
      Carra-----------------Hyypia-------Agger---------------Aurelio
      Babel-----------------Masch------Gerrard-----------------Riera
      -------------------------Torres------Keane------------------------

4 fuking 1.

Bring it on!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #57: Jan 09, 2009 11:16:05 pm
      To be honest, I would'nt be too bothered if Keane was left on the bench because I am eager to see Gerrard and Torres pair up again. They are likely to be high on confidence after combining for that goal against Preston.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #58: Jan 09, 2009 11:21:43 pm
      I know what you mean, but I really want to see something great happen between Keane and Torres.
      jimbob
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts |
      Reply #59: Jan 09, 2009 11:35:17 pm
      until stoke had their right back sent off against the scum, i thought they had coped with the scum's onslaught pretty well. up until that most wonderous challenge on ronaldo, which i hasten to add my 8 year old daughter totally enjoyed and wondered what ronaldo's problem was, stoke dealt with the scum. they didnt have much of an attack, but at the same time had incredible resolve in defence. had the right back not gone, with just 18 mins to play, i think stoke would have seen out the draw. the scum were very lac luster that day having just returned from the world championships, with that in mind i believe we will be just a bit too strong for them. however, this will be a tougher game than most of us seem to be expecting.

kuyt should start so as to ware the bas**rds down, then look at some 1 like babel or el zhar to come on and do the damage in the second 1/2. i think this will be a tougher test than you are all expecting. however, given time, the red men will emerge victorious once again and up the pressure on old red nose.

3 - 0 to the mighty reds

YNWA
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #60: Jan 10, 2009 10:59:20 am
      0-3 For me Torres hat trick @16/1 .....Come on Nando do me proud and then i can go get hammered on you sunshine
      mormarijn
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts |
      Reply #61: Jan 10, 2009 11:04:55 am
      Hm, Stoke played like cowards at Anfield, so I guess they have to attack at home which will give the reds more space to play and that's exactly where we are good at. I think the team would be:

Reina;
      Carragher, Agger, Hyppia, Aurelio;
      Mascherano;
      Kuijt,  Kuyt, Riera;
      Gerrard;
      Keane, Torres.

« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2009 11:50:06 am by smigger15 »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #62: Jan 10, 2009 12:11:01 pm
                      carra-----hyppia-----agger-----aurelio

babel----------gerrard----------mashcerano----------riera

kuyt------------------torres

no kean,missed a hat full of chances against preston.

what do you think?

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #63: Jan 10, 2009 12:22:02 pm
      Good team but Babel was also quite poor in that match, I think we can expect to see Kuyt on the right.
      Antyan13
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #64: Jan 10, 2009 12:25:54 pm
      I think :                   
                                         Reina

Arbeloa            Hyypia            Carragher      Aurellio

Babel              Gerrard        Lucas           Riera

Keane
                                      Torres           

Us to win 2 - 1
      Gerrard scoring first, Torres scoring second. :lmao:
      _Dimitri_
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 211 posts |
      Reply #65: Jan 10, 2009 12:50:59 pm
      I do hope so but is it sure that torres starts?
      RedDrog
      • Forum John Toshack

• 264 posts |
      Reply #66: Jan 10, 2009 01:03:59 pm
      I'm hoping for

Reina

Carra     Sami        Agger    Aurelio

Stevie G   Masch

Kuyt             Keane           Riera

Torres

Subs: Cavlieri, Skrtel, Darby, Lucas, Benayoun, Babel, Ngog.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #67: Jan 10, 2009 01:18:47 pm
      Got a feeling Rafa will go with 4-2-3-1.

Reina

Carra Sami Agger Aurelio

Lucas Masch

Kuyt    Gerrard   Riera

Torres

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #68: Jan 10, 2009 01:22:07 pm
      I think it's gonna be

-------------------Reina--------------------
      Carra------Sami-------Agger-----Aurelio
      Kuyt-----Masch-------Stevie-------Riera
      -------------------Keane------------------
      -------------------Torres--------------------
      DaveThe Red
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #69: Jan 10, 2009 01:49:24 pm
      Stoke will play more physical today as they thought it was the winning combination when they drawed against us at Anfield. They got some fellows that can be dangerous such as Ricardo Fuller(maybe still suspended) and first and foremost. Rory Delap and his deadly throw-ins...but i'm confident that the lads will be able to take all three points from The Brittania Stadium with no serious difficulty. Come On Reds!!! You'll never walk alone!!!
      P.S: I laid a bet with some of my friends about how many times will Lil' Sam (Sammy Lee) pester and shout at the Boys!
      « Last Edit: Jan 10, 2009 02:09:30 pm by Reslivo »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #70: Jan 10, 2009 02:10:51 pm
      Think Keane will play today, so im going for Ad's line-up, and a complete statement from Nando that he's back, scoring 4 goals
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #71: Jan 10, 2009 02:14:53 pm
      Stoke will play more physical today as they thought it was the winning combination when they drawed against us at Anfield. They got some fellows that can be dangerous such as Ricardo Fuller(maybe still suspended) and first and foremost. Rory Delap and his deadly throw-ins...but i'm confident that the lads will be able to take all three points from The Brittania Stadium with no serious difficulty. Come On Reds!!! You'll never walk alone!!!
      P.S: I laid a bet with some of my friends about how many times will Lil' Sam (Sammy Lee) pester and shout at the Boys!

Welcome to the forum Dave.

I'm not overly-concerned about Delap's throws to be honest, apparently he's had to get painkilling injections for his shoulder recently. Can't think why! ::)

Of course it'll be a physical game, but the Redmen will squeeze out a good performance, and a good win! 3-0.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #72: Jan 10, 2009 02:23:28 pm
      Thats the line up i would go for.
      I think it's gonna be

chrislfc22
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 372 posts | -6 
      Reply #73: Jan 10, 2009 02:37:42 pm
      me too perfect team

I think it's gonna be

carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #74: Jan 10, 2009 02:51:04 pm
      to be honest I go with every formation that was posted here and most of all  I will go with the RAFA one, as long as we bag another 3 points and a good performance

:scarf:           :kop5cf8koxp6:           :scarf:
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #75: Jan 10, 2009 03:10:01 pm
      Umm two matches have been post poned so far?? How is the weather looking in Stoke?? I hope we are not post poned.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #76: Jan 10, 2009 03:11:26 pm
      Umm two matches have been post poned so far?? How is the weather looking in Stoke?? I hope we are not post poned.

They've got under-soil heating (ooh, la-de-dah!). We should be okay.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #77: Jan 10, 2009 03:13:42 pm
      They've got under-soil heating (ooh, la-de-dah!). We should be okay.

More reason to hammer those fancy boys ::)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #78: Jan 10, 2009 03:37:24 pm
      Hahaha! Do we have that at Anfield??
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      Reply #79: Jan 10, 2009 04:37:25 pm
      just heard keane an torres are on the bench
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Reply #80: Jan 10, 2009 04:38:08 pm
      Team as follows:

Reina, Carragher, Aurelio, Hyypia, Skrtel, Mascherano, Lucas, Benayoun, Riera, Gerrard, Kuyt. Subs: Cavalieri, Keane, Torres, Dossena, Babel, Plessis, El Zhar
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #81: Jan 10, 2009 04:38:56 pm
      Thread has been locked, you'll find the match thread here:

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=12144.0
      « Last Edit: Jan 10, 2009 04:44:05 pm by Reslivo »

Quick Reply