Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Boxing

Read 222067 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Boxing
      Reply #966: Jun 18, 2017 12:02:00 pm
      Paul Smith beaten on points in Germany by Tyrone Zeuge for the WBA Super Middleweight title.

He needs to knock it in the head now I reckon.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #967: Jun 18, 2017 06:32:20 pm
      He needs to knock it in the head now I reckon.

Yeah apart from about two rounds was never really in it and all in all was an easy night's work for the younger German champion.

His brother Stephen was on the undercard and his opponent was a bit of a mis-match. Stephen dispatched him rather easily within the 1st round.

Stayed up to watch the Ward - Kovalev fight, which was starting to turn good when the referee stopped it, even though I don't think Kovalev was in loads of trouble and at least one or two blows from Ward could be described as very much low blows.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #968: Jun 18, 2017 06:57:00 pm
      I'll have a bit of Mayweather £££ if anyone fancys McGregor  ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #969: Jun 29, 2017 01:23:42 pm
      Nigel Benn and Steve Collins to come out of  retirement for a rematch.

Both over 50.

Not a fan of these types of fights and this will only lessen the memory of that glorious era of Benn, Eubank, Collins et al.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #970: Jul 02, 2017 02:34:20 pm
      Manny Pacquiao was seriously unlucky not to get the decision in Australia last night. Having said that, it shows how much he's declined over the past few years to even be taken the distance by a fella like Jeff Horn. Knock it on the head now, lad.

Buglioni and Summers was a good fight. Buglioni vs Cleverly is a decent scrap if they can get it sorted as well.

Bellew vs Ward looking half likely now. Mad. I'd rather see Ward fight an old Bellew opponent in Adonis Stevenson before moving up to CW but that doesn't seem to be on the cards.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #971: Jul 12, 2017 09:35:49 am
      The sh*t show has begun! So much content for MayMac out there already after the first press conference.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #972: Jul 12, 2017 08:10:47 pm
      The sh*t show has begun! So much content for MayMac out there already after the first press conference.

So much for Mayweather/McGregor yet so little for Golovkin/Canelo.

Golden Boy must be raging. They dragged the 'will they, won't they?' stuff out for ages in order to maximise the attention and earning potential of their fight; only for it to be overshadowed by what is effectively little more than an exhibition match.

Hoping for a Golovkin/McGregor double but I can't call the first and I expect McGregor to be embarrassed by Floyd.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #973: Jul 12, 2017 09:07:55 pm
      So much for Mayweather/McGregor yet so little for Golovkin/Canelo.

Golden Boy must be raging. They dragged the 'will they, won't they?' stuff out for ages in order to maximise the attention and earning potential of their fight; only for it to be overshadowed by what is effectively little more than an exhibition match.

Hoping for a Golovkin/McGregor double but I can't call the first and I expect McGregor to be embarrassed by Floyd.

I know, shame really but they wouldn't be getting much attention in the UK at least anyway. I will certainly be watching, don't think Canelo can take GGG but will be an interesting fight.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #974: Jul 12, 2017 09:44:39 pm
      Hard to call the winner between GGG & Canelo, heavy punchers.

Is the McMayweather show on the undercard of the above fighters? ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #975: Jul 12, 2017 09:46:45 pm
      McGregor saying he will knock Mayweather out in 4 rounds. Mayweather sat there, casual as you like and not looking in the slightest bit bothered by what's being said because he knows that McGregor wont get near him for the entire fight as he will be doing his usual running away tactic to then grab a win.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #976: Jul 12, 2017 10:36:23 pm
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #977: Jul 13, 2017 03:01:29 am
      I know, shame really but they wouldn't be getting much attention in the UK at least anyway. I will certainly be watching, don't think Canelo can take GGG but will be an interesting fight.

The big question for me surrounds Golovkin's age. In the Jacobs fight, did we see signs that he was slowing down a bit and declining, or was it just a minor bump in the road?

Billy Joe Saunders reckons age is starting to catch up with him.

In an IFL interview that I watched, he basically told Kugan that he'd seen signs that Golovkin was slowing down and that he now wanted to fight him because of his age.

Maybe De La Hoya and Golden Boy agree and that's why they've finally made the fight.

If the same Golovkin turns up that beat the likes of David Lemieux and Daniel Geale, I think he'll win by stoppage.

Golovkin needs to be at the top of his game though, Canelo is a genuine elite fighter. Comfortably better than any of GGG's other opponents.

Rigondeaux and Lomachenko have been in discussion about sorting a fight out too. Two of the very best in the world. Would love to see it.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #978: Jul 13, 2017 09:33:43 am
      The big question for me surrounds Golovkin's age. In the Jacobs fight, did we see signs that he was slowing down a bit and declining, or was it just a minor bump in the road?

Billy Joe Saunders reckons age is starting to catch up with him.

In an IFL interview that I watched, he basically told Kugan that he'd seen signs that Golovkin was slowing down and that he now wanted to fight him because of his age.

Maybe De La Hoya and Golden Boy agree and that's why they've finally made the fight.

If the same Golovkin turns up that beat the likes of David Lemieux and Daniel Geale, I think he'll win by stoppage.

Golovkin needs to be at the top of his game though, Canelo is a genuine elite fighter. Comfortably better than any of GGG's other opponents.

Rigondeaux and Lomachenko have been in discussion about sorting a fight out too. Two of the very best in the world. Would love to see it.

Father time waits for nobody, will be a great fight. Love Lomachenko too however I don't think he's deserving of being so high in the P4P list just yet. He lost to an average Saldio and hasn't really beaten anyone of note, he needs a few more wins even with his glittering amateur record (even though he is very impressive).
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #979: Aug 03, 2017 01:29:06 pm
      Wladimir Klitschko has announced his retirement from the sport.

Will be remembered as a great champion, who went out on his shield after the defeat to Antony Joshua.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #980: Aug 03, 2017 07:37:40 pm
      Wladimir Klitschko has announced his retirement from the sport.

Will be remembered as a great champion, who went out on his shield after the defeat to Antony Joshua.

Shame but the time is right for him to go out now. He was piss poor vs Fury but put up one hell of a fight vs AJ. Think he knows that 2nd time round he would have less of a chance vs AJ, who would be stronger, quicker and smarter. Would have been good to see a rematch but if it happened and he didn't do as well this time round, people would remember him for that fight rather than the first.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him become part of AJs team in some aspect.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #981: Aug 05, 2017 02:22:36 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #982: Aug 05, 2017 04:09:24 pm

Did you actually see Antony Joshua's response to it, was quite funny!!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #983: Aug 05, 2017 07:58:48 pm
      Did you actually see Antony Joshua's response to it, was quite funny!!

Shaggy ;)
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #984: Aug 12, 2017 09:13:23 am
      :lmao:

Paulie Malignaggi you little bi*ch! Went on a tirade on twitter about this picture

Saying he was pushed, threw all his toys out of the pram and even left the McGregor camp. He did a 1 hour interview with Ariel Helwani about the camp and how he was 'shoved' over.

Then McGregor's camp posted this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVi3GcRcbqo

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #985: Aug 12, 2017 09:28:59 am
      Mcgregor won't last more than 6 rounds, don't like Mayweather as a person but he is far too classy
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #986: Aug 12, 2017 01:31:00 pm
      Mcgregor won't last more than 6 rounds, don't like Mayweather as a person but he is far too classy

Yes he will, Mayweather will be running like he always does. Will go down to points IMO.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #987: Aug 12, 2017 05:45:51 pm
      Surprised by McGregor's handling of Malignaggi who was a good boxer but remember it's only 20 seconds worth of footage from a 36 minute spar. Paulie reckons it was the last two rounds too and he's retired now so maybe that's down to his inactivity.

For me though, it doesn't mean *too* much. Sam Eggington definitively beat Malignaggi in a proper fight a couple of months ago and would he beat Mayweather? Would he bollocks.

Peach of a left hand the one he caught him with after the ref had separated them though.

Also, wouldn't be surprised to see a much more aggressive Mayweather.

Being the greatest boxer of your generation and fighting a mixed martial artist in a boxing ring allows you that freedom.
      « Last Edit: Aug 12, 2017 05:52:16 pm by Baconbutty »
      Kopite78
      Reply #988: Aug 12, 2017 08:47:36 pm
      Yes he will, Mayweather will be running like he always does. Will go down to points IMO.

I think it will to. But Mayweather wins 120-112

Quick Reply