Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Boxing

Read 224150 times
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Re: Boxing
      Reply #1012: Aug 26, 2017 12:09:26 am
      True, but he's also been out of the ring for 2 years and is 40.

Don't dispute that at all. We all know how it's going to go, Floyd will run away and force McGreggor to go after him, this will lead to McGreggor leaving himself open and Floyd will just pick him off, mistake after mistake.
      Hope I'm wrong though because I can't stand Mayweather, shouldn't even have that perfect record because there is no way he could have beaten De La Hoya IMO.

To be fair though mate, some boxers, especially ones like Mayweather, get better with age.

As for ring rust, it wasn't a problem in the Marquez fight after a 2 year lay off.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1013: Aug 26, 2017 12:16:13 am
      As if Mayweather will even get a punch landed on him.

Such a farce. Might as well see which one lasts the longest against a silverback!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1014: Aug 26, 2017 12:16:20 am
      To be fair though mate, some boxers, especially ones like Mayweather, get better with age.

As for ring rust, it wasn't a problem in the Marquez fight after a 2 year lay off.

Fair points. I expect he's been training for this for longer than we think too.

Hopefully after all this build up it wont end up being a complete bore fest like the Paquaio fight.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6367 
      Reply #1015: Aug 26, 2017 02:31:13 am
      He's a magic person. He does not operate in the world we know. It's bizarre, I've learned just to roll with it. He says he's going to KO Mayweather... And I believe him.

Hey, I wish McGregor would knock Floyd TF Out but I think he's going to have to get extremely lucky. Floyd just has too much experience. Now, if Floyd "gets old" in the ring, who knows. When you hit 40, you never know when your body is going to decide to start letting you down. Mine happened last year at 41. Got a torn meniscus out of the blue, no warning. And bam you just start feeling like an older man all of he sudden like.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #1016: Aug 26, 2017 04:20:02 am
      I only one person is going to win this 50-0.  To knock Mayweather out he will need to land a single decent punch he has no chance of landing.  Mayweather at 50 would win this fight it is a joke of a fight.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1017: Aug 26, 2017 12:11:57 pm
      Such a pantomime these days isn't it.

Gone all WWE with the build-up that has seemingly lasted forever.

That McGregor looks like a real pr**k, hope that Mayflower kicks (punches) seven shades of sh*t out of him.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,185 posts | 1636 
      Reply #1018: Aug 26, 2017 07:52:42 pm
      Anyone who thinks Mcgregor has a hope in this is delusional.

The greatest boxers of the 21st century have been able to take the 0 from Mayweather and very few have even rocked him. To think a UFC fighter with no history in boxing is going to be able to do what men who have dedicated their life to the sport have been unable to do is absurd.

The only variable is how long Floyd takes it, he might not knock him out but I can see him landing at will and it comes down to how long the ref will let Conor take the punishment.

Off to go lump on Floyd!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1019: Aug 26, 2017 08:00:22 pm
      I'm afraid Floyd is going to toy around with Mcgregor in the ring..

Take it to the 6th just to keep interest in the fight..
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,484 posts | 231 
      Reply #1020: Aug 27, 2017 02:13:48 am
      Surprised the amount of people fancying a win for someone with no boxing experience. The odds are shortening for McGregor.

Even our Robbie Fowler is backing him!

Then again Trump won the presidency and had no political experience too..

Mayweather to win in 5 rounds.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1021: Aug 27, 2017 05:27:21 am
      McGregor started well in these first three rounds.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1022: Aug 27, 2017 05:50:59 am
      Masterclass from Floyd now, don't know if McGregor can last.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1023: Aug 27, 2017 05:53:02 am
      All over.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #1024: Aug 27, 2017 05:54:48 am
      Didn't think McGregor was going to be able to fight 10 rounds.

Didn't want Mayweather to win but don't think McGregor had any chance, gave McGregor 2-3 rounds and after that he dominated the entire fight.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,484 posts | 231 
      Reply #1025: Aug 27, 2017 05:57:36 am
      Bloody hell not bad for your first boxing match. Against the best in the division and lasting almost 10 full rounds.

Conor surpassed my expectations.
      RedWilly

• 9,185 posts | 1636 
      Reply #1026: Aug 27, 2017 05:58:18 am
      Mayweathers fitness and his class told in the end, right stoppage though Mcgregor was completely shot in the 9th and 10th.

Fair play to Mcgregor though, no way did I think he was going to go 10 rounds.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1027: Aug 27, 2017 08:16:49 am
      What a showing from McGregor. Hung in there and I had Floyd up by 1 round going into the 10th which is something I don't think anyone seen coming.

I also think the stoppage was a little early but will most likely be better for McGregor in the long run as it was coming sooner rather than later.

What a fight.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,950 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1028: Aug 27, 2017 08:39:07 am
      Thought it was a bit of a anticlimax myself. Went the way pretty much as expected. Would of loved to see McGregor pull it off but wasn't to be. I'm sure he'll enjoy his pay cheque though.  :lmao:
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #1029: Aug 27, 2017 09:13:39 am
      Only one man can avenge Conor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5_RJzEERVE

50-1

Step up Floyd!
      RedWilly

• 9,185 posts | 1636 
      Reply #1030: Aug 27, 2017 09:40:03 am
      What a showing from McGregor. Hung in there and I had Floyd up by 1 round going into the 10th which is something I don't think anyone seen coming.

I also think the stoppage was a little early but will most likely be better for McGregor in the long run as it was coming sooner rather than later.

What a fight.

Yeah I think another 10 seconds and Mcgregor was down, he must have taken 5 or 6 clean punches to the face before the ref stopped it but you felt there was just a flurry on the way that was going to end it and I wish the ref had waiting a little!

Think you're being very generous to Mcgregor there though to say Floyd was only a round up, I think he took the first 3, possibly the 4th and then the rest of it was all Mayweather.

Can see Mcgregor doing another fight now, everyone's going to want a piece.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #1031: Aug 27, 2017 10:02:56 am
      Yeah I think another 10 seconds and Mcgregor was down, he must have taken 5 or 6 clean punches to the face before the ref stopped it but you felt there was just a flurry on the way that was going to end it and I wish the ref had waiting a little!

Think you're being very generous to Mcgregor there though to say Floyd was only a round up, I think he took the first 3, possibly the 4th and then the rest of it was all Mayweather.

Can see Mcgregor doing another fight now, everyone's going to want a piece.

I had McGregor taking the first 4 and then Mayweather taking the next 5. The 8th was actually close and could have been McGregors.

Paulie certainly wants some, don't know if that'll happen. I think McGregor Diaz III will be next.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1032: Aug 27, 2017 10:22:01 am
      Respect to both fighters..

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1033: Aug 27, 2017 11:29:52 am
      Was afraid that would happen.
      Similar to when McGregor fought Nate.
      Tried to do it in the early rounds and then ran out of steam in the last 3 rounds.
      He recovered in the 2nd fight with Nate, but you won't last 3 rounds against Mayweather like that.
      Especially if all the other tools in your locker aren't legal in boxing.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1034: Aug 27, 2017 03:12:25 pm
      Mayweather didn't look like he was hurting McGreggor, like wise the other way round too, that was sheer experience by Mayweather though, controlled himself and basically paced it from the start, McGreggor lost because he was knackered, was far from a beating he took. Even the hits he was taking towards the end he was managing to stay up. Credit it to him, done a lot better than a lot of others have done that faced Mayweather. Maybe he should have started off with some easier opponents before stepping up to take on the smartest in the business.

Quick Reply