Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Southampton [Premier League] Sat 18th Nov @ 3:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of November and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W10 D5 L5

Boxing

Read 93944 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,179 posts | 648 
      Re: Boxing
      Reply #1110 : Sep 17, 2017 10:39:26 am »
      Reckon diane abbott has a future aa a boxing judge
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,253 posts | 1467 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1111 : Sep 17, 2017 12:26:16 pm »
      It's truly bizarre how scorecards can be wildly different. Just like football, you have thousands of people paying loads of money to attend or watch, fighters spending all their time training and then it comes down to a few people's thoughts.

Should announce the scores after every round in boxing.  Think it would lead to better fights IMO.

I think they have tried open scoring before but never in a fight this big.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 26,707 posts | 2511 
      Reply #1112 : Sep 17, 2017 02:10:11 pm »
      Im a big Canelo fan. I like him. I like his style,  attitude and the way he fights. But, GGG won this fight. Im not surprised. Canelo as Champ means more money for the promoters and boxing in general. This is just another in a LOOOOOONNNGGG line of bad decisions and scoring by corrupt officials and judges. Boxing was finally making a comeback and this fight was huge for PPV and promoters.   But, sadly it went like it ALWAYS does. Money over boxing and they really blew it. Another shining example why Boxing is dying a slow, corrupt miserable death and MMA and especially UFC is the future. The UFC rarely has poor decisions and its just sad.

Totally agree, really like Canelo as a fighter, apart from looking like Bertie's doppleganger, but he was lucky to get a draw. Still trying to get my head round that first scorecard that gave it to Canelo. All eyes seem to be making more money from a rematch. I just can't get into MMA and have always loved watching boxing, but sometimes decisions like this do leave a sour taste.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 26,707 posts | 2511 
      Reply #1113 : Sep 17, 2017 08:00:58 pm »
      Teddy Atlas has a great rant here about boxing judges after last night's GGG/Canelo fight

https://twitter.com/agaz996/status/909271501450485761
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,965 posts | 256 
      Reply #1114 : Sep 18, 2017 08:32:34 am »
      Totally agree, really like Canelo as a fighter, apart from looking like Bertie's doppleganger, but he was lucky to get a draw. Still trying to get my head round that first scorecard that gave it to Canelo. All eyes seem to be making more money from a rematch. I just can't get into MMA and have always loved watching boxing, but sometimes decisions like this do leave a sour taste.
      If Canelo fought like he did in the Chavez fight, he would of won clearly. He completely dominated Chavez. I think he had trouble with 3Gs style. I dont think 3G
      hit him with anything he wasnt expecting. I just think Canelo had a problem getting
      to a point where he could dictate the fight.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,485 posts | 1713 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1115 : Sep 18, 2017 10:51:18 pm »
      See Bellew saying he will retire Haye and put him to sleep if they have a re-match. Well, he wasn't even able to do that when Haye was fighting on 1 leg for about 5 rounds so I can't see it happening.

But, I don't like either of them so happily see them beat the crap out of each other.
      RedWilly

• 6,866 posts | 636 
      Reply #1116 : Sep 20, 2017 01:20:10 pm »
      See Bellew saying he will retire Haye and put him to sleep if they have a re-match. Well, he wasn't even able to do that when Haye was fighting on 1 leg for about 5 rounds so I can't see it happening.

But, I don't like either of them so happily see them beat the crap out of each other.

I'm so sick of Haye coming out every 5 minutes challenging whoever the current title holder is and saying how he wants to fight AJ.

Hope he does fight AJ so he knocks his f**king block into next week and we never have to hear from that clown again.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,684 posts | 1537 
      • I Create What I Speak
      Reply #1117 : Sep 20, 2017 01:57:24 pm »
      I'm so sick of Haye coming out every 5 minutes challenging whoever the current title holder is and saying how he wants to fight AJ.

Hope he does fight AJ so he knocks his f**king block into next week and we never have to hear from that clown again.

Can't stand Haye, really can't.
      RedWilly

• 6,866 posts | 636 
      Reply #1118 : Sep 20, 2017 10:19:47 pm »
      Can't stand Haye, really can't.

Me too mate. Completely does my head in.

Great cruiserweight. Massively overrated as a heavyweight by the British public and his constant remarks just do my head in.
      king kenny
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,869 posts | 79 
      Reply #1119 : Sep 21, 2017 11:06:03 pm »
      Well that is easy put him against Joshua and he goes to sleep within 3 rounds!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,485 posts | 1713 
      Reply #1120 : Sep 21, 2017 11:22:46 pm »
      Haye fights AJ and he will be on the receiving end of the battering he said he was going to give Bellew, but worse. AJ is bigger, more powerful, quicker and smarter
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,684 posts | 1537 
      • I Create What I Speak
      Reply #1121 : Sep 22, 2017 12:09:30 am »
      Can't wait for Rio to call all the boxers out...

That towie bird has made him
      beleive his own hype..
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,253 posts | 1467 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1122 : Sep 22, 2017 07:31:36 am »
      Andre Ward announced his retirement. Fantastic fighter.
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,144 posts | 767 
      Reply #1123 : Sep 22, 2017 08:40:23 am »
      Can't wait for Rio to call all the boxers out...

That towie bird has made him
      beleive his own hype..

He won't and shouldn't get a licence

Yeah he's been one of the  best in recent years

Better to get out on top with your bank balance and mind in tact
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,423 posts | 356 
      Reply #1124 : Sep 22, 2017 09:34:44 am »

World class. Just a shame he didn't fight as much as he could have.
      FATKOPITE10

• 6,179 posts | 648 
      Reply #1125 : Sep 24, 2017 12:14:25 pm »
      The fury family really are a bunch of scumbags
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 26,707 posts | 2511 
      Reply #1126 : Sep 24, 2017 02:13:19 pm »
      Thought Luke Campbell did well to go the full 12 rounds with Jorge Linares after getting put down in the second round, although overall thought it was a deserved win for Linares on points.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 12 
      Reply #1127 : Oct 09, 2017 03:17:01 am »
      Impressive showing from Eubank Jr against Yildrim. Still think Groves and Smith will beat him though.

A good win for Anthony Crolla as well in a tough fight with Ricky Burns. If Terry Flanagan doesn't get the Linares fight, and I'm not convinced he will, I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Flanagan.

Bellew vs Haye being on a Sunday is a bit weird. Same prediction as last time; if Haye doesn't blast him out early, Bellew stands a real chance.

Not sure Haye is capable of doing the distance at a fast pace any more. Regardless of the Achilles injury, this is a fella who was told to retire for good by doctors in 2013. Rumour has it that his split with Mcguigan only came about because he'd advised him to retire too.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,449 posts | 1814 
      Reply #1128 : Oct 28, 2017 10:34:50 pm »
      AJ towering over Takam.
      KopiteLuke
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,839 posts | 3726 
      Reply #1129 : Oct 28, 2017 11:13:24 pm »
      What the f**k was that stoppage, that lad was nowhere near out. He can take a bloody beating that Takam lad that's for sure.

Clearly Joshua was winning but big credit to Takam for putting up such a battle.

20 - 0 and the AJ train keeps rolling.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,449 posts | 1814 
      Reply #1130 : Oct 28, 2017 11:18:49 pm »
      What the f**k was that stoppage, that lad was nowhere near out. He can take a bloody beating that Takam lad that's for sure.

Clearly Joshua was winning but big credit to Takam for putting up such a battle.

20 - 0 and the AJ train keeps rolling.

Yeah very odd stoppage where Takam wasn't exactly taking a beating.

7-King Kenny-7
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,485 posts | 1713 
      Reply #1131 : Oct 29, 2017 02:01:10 am »
      What a load of sh*t that fight was, glad I went out and watched it and didn’t pay to watch it on box office. Wasn’t impressed by AJ at all in that fight, especially with the show boating at one stage by dropping his hands and basically telling Takam to have a go. That was the kind of fight I’d expect from Haye, not AJ. Poor performance in a fight he could and should have finished much sooner than he did. That said, it shouldn’t have even ended when it did, Takam although was clear he wasn’t going to win any rounds, he was in more than a good enough condition to take the fight to a points decision.

He fights like that against Wilder or Parker and he will lose.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,423 posts | 356 
      Reply #1132 : Oct 29, 2017 02:00:10 pm »
      Job done for AJ, no top boxer ever goes through their career without grinding out a few like he did last night. Can't be knocking people out within 5 rounds every time. Strange stoppage though.

Wilder-AJ would be a good fight but I've seen absolutely nothing from Parker to suggest he could even get close to AJ.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 12 
      Reply #1133 : Nov 02, 2017 07:50:02 pm »
      No one can argue that AJ is at least one of, if not the best heavyweight in the world right now. But only because everyone else isn't really *that* good either.

Put any of them in the same mix as Lewis, Tyson, Bowe etc in the 90s and I honestly think they'd struggle to win a single legitimate world title between them. And that's not even the greatest heavyweight era of all time either.

All this hype is doing my head in. Sky Sports running a poll the other day asking if Joshua was the greatest British heavyweight of all time.. laughable.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 26,707 posts | 2511 
      Reply #1134 : Nov 02, 2017 08:12:00 pm »
      No one can argue that AJ is at least one of, if not the best heavyweight in the world right now. But only because everyone else isn't really *that* good either.

Put any of them in the same mix as Lewis, Tyson, Bowe etc in the 90s and I honestly think they'd struggle to win a single legitimate world title between them. And that's not even the greatest heavyweight era of all time either.

All this hype is doing my head in. Sky Sports running a poll the other day asking if Joshua was the greatest British heavyweight of all time.. laughable.

Between AJ & Lewis to be fair.

I think he's a very good fighter. What people are forgetting is that he had trained to face a bigger opponent, hence the extra weight he put on etc, Takam to his credit did a very good job at short notice, I also get the feeling as AJ pointed out at the end of the fight that everyone is expecting to flatten and ko everyone he faces.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,684 posts | 1537 
      • I Create What I Speak
      Reply #1135 : Nov 02, 2017 10:31:58 pm »
      AJ is still young and will get deadlier as he goes along,was speaking about this with Max McCracken earlier today, said he needs more fights & opponents like Klitchko.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 12 
      Reply #1136 : Nov 03, 2017 12:59:56 pm »
      I think he’d be exposed by better opposition; as he very nearly was by a 41 year old Wlad... who may well have stopped him if he hadn’t taken bad advice from his corner.

The Fury who fought Klitschko and the Joshua who fought Klitschko.. who you backing?

7-King Kenny-7
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,485 posts | 1713 
      Reply #1137 : Nov 04, 2017 01:00:25 am »
      I think he’d be exposed by better opposition; as he very nearly was by a 41 year old Wlad... who may well have stopped him if he hadn’t taken bad advice from his corner.

The Fury who fought Klitschko and the Joshua who fought Klitschko.. who you backing?

Are you serious? Klitschko despite being 41 could still take apart pretty much the whole of the heavyweight division bar the odd couple and he is far too experienced to lose a fight based on what his corner were saying, especially when he has sparred with AJ, he knows what his weaknesses are.

The Fury who fought Klitschko or the AJ that did is a bit of an odd thing to say because it was like 2 different Klitschko's in each fight. Against Fury he was throwing barely anything, I remember thinking it as almost being a complete farce, he just didn't seem to care. Against AJ he was going for it though, if he had gone at Fury the way he did AJ then Fury wouldn't have got the win, absolutely no chance at all.

I wasn't impressed by AJ against Takam but if he hits anyone like he was hitting Klitschko, as well as being able to take hits like he was in that fight then I can't see anyone putting a stop to him any time soon, especially Fury.

The only one who can come close to AJ right now is Wilder and possibly Parker if he fights like he did against Takam but he wont, that was a one off because it was a late change, it wasn't going to be easy. Fury and AJ aren't even in the same league IMO.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 12 
      Reply #1138 : Nov 10, 2017 02:22:25 am »
      Are you serious? Klitschko despite being 41 could still take apart pretty much the whole of the heavyweight division bar the odd couple and he is far too experienced to lose a fight based on what his corner were saying, especially when he has sparred with AJ, he knows what his weaknesses are.

The Fury who fought Klitschko or the AJ that did is a bit of an odd thing to say because it was like 2 different Klitschko's in each fight. Against Fury he was throwing barely anything, I remember thinking it as almost being a complete farce, he just didn't seem to care. Against AJ he was going for it though, if he had gone at Fury the way he did AJ then Fury wouldn't have got the win, absolutely no chance at all.

I wasn't impressed by AJ against Takam but if he hits anyone like he was hitting Klitschko, as well as being able to take hits like he was in that fight then I can't see anyone putting a stop to him any time soon, especially Fury.

The only one who can come close to AJ right now is Wilder and possibly Parker if he fights like he did against Takam but he wont, that was a one off because it was a late change, it wasn't going to be easy. Fury and AJ aren't even in the same league IMO.

That’s sort of the point I was making earlier isn’t it. Wlad very nearly beat him. Wlad would pretty much beat everyone else at the minute. Wlad, especially at 41, is not an ATG. People are hyping AJ up as if he is one.

If he fought in some of the bygone eras where the division was full of greats, AJ would struggle to win a legitimate world title; as would Klitschko and the rest of them.

We’ll never know for definite if Wlad listened to his corner and took his foot off the gas. I reckon he did though and Vitali has publicly said he blames himself for his brothers loss because of the bad advice he gave him inbetween rounds.

As for Klitschko’s performances against Fury and Joshua, I don’t think he just “didn’t care” against TF.

Fury was horrible and awkward, made himself difficult to hit and stopped Klitschko from getting any sort of rhythm going. He wasn’t pretty, he definitely wasn’t exciting but he executed a perfect game plan and beat ‘the man’ in his own back yard.

Maybe that loss put a bit of fire in his belly against Joshua.. there’s no doubt that was the more exciting fight but Fury’s performance was easily better technically than AJ’s was.

We’ll hopefully see next year if AJ really is in a different league to Fury. I, for one, definitely don’t think he is.
      « Last Edit: Nov 10, 2017 02:34:38 am by Baconbutty »
      king kenny
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,869 posts | 79 
      Reply #1139 : Nov 10, 2017 06:29:05 pm »
      Lewis was over hyped.  I think Joshua is heading for bigger things.  He has it all to prove. 

Quick Reply