Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 9th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P11 W6 D4 L1

Boxing

Read 226018 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Boxing
      Reply #1311: Oct 10, 2021 04:15:59 pm

Missed that. But as it goes, my money is on Usyk again.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #1312: Oct 10, 2021 04:17:54 pm
      Lots of talk from Fury calling wilder a shithouse. But by far the biggest shithouse of last night was me... Who took the knock early and slept through it  :mad: :mad:

Absolutely gutted!

In other boxing news, here's Liam Smith turning out for his local Sunday league side after fighting 8 rounds top of the bill last night 😂

https://twitter.com/neiljonesgoal/status/1447183429330776068?t=a9qzUGh21jEn4bNFus-i5A&s=19
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #1313: Oct 10, 2021 04:52:18 pm
      I do massively, explain the first Ruiz defeat? Egotistical and f**king lazy. He's regressed as a boxer not improved and I was a fan of AJ from his early days. To even try and box Usyk was f**king stupid. He should of gone with the power. Fairly obvious now Fury's the more natural fighter.

Joshua didn't look right even in the ringwalk in the first Ruiz fight. Remember the gurning, pushing out his mouthpiece, the frantic neck massages? I think he had a health problem and went through with it because he didn't want to let anyone down. Remember how furious AJ's Dad was with Hearn after the fight? As for the fight itself there was nothing lazy or arrogant about it, he didn't swagger around and take the piss. It was, for that time, his usual boxer/puncher style. He just got caught high on the head and could not recover.
      As for don't box the boxer stuff, use your advantages, the reach and power. We all think that, but the problem is landing it. Uysk was just too damn good and he isn't getting enough credit.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1314: Oct 10, 2021 08:50:17 pm
      Uysk was just too damn good and he isn't getting enough credit.

Don’t agree with that, he’s been rightly labelled as the better boxer of the two so how isn’t he getting enough credit?
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #1315: Oct 10, 2021 09:05:24 pm
      Don’t agree with that, he’s been rightly labelled as the better boxer of the two so how isn’t he getting enough credit?

Because of the size of his achievement. To go from cruiserweight and beat a bigger, very hard hitting Champion who is also an excellent technical boxer is a special level. Everyone is talking about AJ's mistakes, blaming the corner, the strategy as if all he has to do is tw*t him and it's over.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,331 posts | 8605 
      Reply #1316: Oct 10, 2021 09:33:55 pm
      Because of the size of his achievement. To go from cruiserweight and beat a bigger, very hard hitting Champion who is also an excellent technical boxer is a special level. Everyone is talking about AJ's mistakes, blaming the corner, the strategy as if all he has to do is tw*t him and it's over.

Not all, but Joshua dropped loads of weight to fight Usyk, that effects his natural power. What Usyk did wasn't special level, it's just what comes natural to the better technical boxer which Usyk is compared to AJ.

It's why I'd like to see Fury v Usyk, two technically sound boxers.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #1317: Oct 10, 2021 09:44:46 pm
      Not all, but Joshua dropped loads of weight to fight Usyk, that effects his natural power. What Usyk did wasn't special level, it's just what comes natural to the better technical boxer which Usyk is compared to AJ.

I'd be very interested to see that fight too which is at least compensation if AJ loses the rematch.
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #1318: Nov 15, 2021 07:27:07 pm

Those tactics made no sense really did they? Drop weight to try to out box a boxer? The way AJ was going to beat Usyk was by walking through him and not letting it get to the final bell

Couldn’t understand it

Usyk is very good but a Fury on his best night beats him with relevant comfort
      Fury is a very very good technician as well but also is far bigger and heavier
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1319: Dec 29, 2021 02:41:20 pm
      I managed to watch the Trilogy Doc on BT yesterday having seen the fights. Its hard to see past Tyson Fury as the greatest of all time.
      The way he came back from time out of the ring and losing 11 stone in 6 months to get himself in the ring with Wilder after just a couple of fights is just legendary stuff. I cant imagine what Wilder felt like when he rose like Lazarus from the dead it was just an incredible moment.
      He is a complete Boxer and then on top of that he is 6ft 9 inch I cant think of a boxer in history who could stay with him. I hope Joshua doesnt get in the ring with him I fear how it would end
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,419 posts | 2836 
      Reply #1320: Dec 29, 2021 08:45:59 pm
      I managed to watch the Trilogy Doc on BT yesterday having seen the fights. Its hard to see past Tyson Fury as the greatest of all time.
      The way he came back from time out of the ring and losing 11 stone in 6 months to get himself in the ring with Wilder after just a couple of fights is just legendary stuff. I cant imagine what Wilder felt like when he rose like Lazarus from the dead it was just an incredible moment.
      He is a complete Boxer and then on top of that he is 6ft 9 inch I cant think of a boxer in history who could stay with him. I hope Joshua doesnt get in the ring with him I fear how it would end

Fury is class and certainly the best by some distance of this generation but not close to the greatest of all time for me.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1321: Dec 29, 2021 09:21:22 pm
      Fury is class and certainly the best by some distance of this generation but not close to the greatest of all time for me.

I loved watching the ALi -Frazier fights but this man is 6 inches taller than Ali and has 5 inches more reach and 4 stone heavier. Wilder is reportedly the hardest hitter ever and he stood toe to toe with him and also gave him lessons in boxing. Frazier was even smaller only Big George was of a size to compete but he didnt have the skill of Tyson Fury. Mike Tyson was just a destroyer of men in his early days but Fury is just such a smart fighter imagine having to bench press 20 stone for 12 rounds because that is what he did to Wilder he smothered him .Actually I should have mentioned Lewis he always gets forgotten but he would definitely be a challenge for him.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,267 posts | 282 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #1322: Dec 29, 2021 09:30:38 pm

Lennox Lewis would have beaten Fury with ease for me. Even the great Emanuel Steward said he was the best he ever trained. Loved the Lewis documentary on sky that I watched the other day.
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #1323: Dec 29, 2021 09:38:58 pm
      Lennox Lewis would have beaten Fury with ease for me. Even the great Emanuel Steward said he was the best he ever trained. Loved the Lewis documentary on sky that I watched the other day.

I think it would have been a very good fight, one that could go either way in a trilogy

Lewis was great but not unbeatable, he did lose to Oliver McCall and Hasim Racman who neither were whatsoever in Fury’s class

To be honest though I don’t like comparing eras in boxing, all you can be is the best of your era, a fury certainly is… Lewis wasn’t clearly the best of his, but his era was arguably more difficult and competitive

If you like boxing chat, have you seen the round table chat led by Johnny Nelson? All the super middles from the 90s
      Calzaghe, Roy Jones, Eubank, Collins and strangely Richie Woodhall (probably couldn’t get Benn)
      Fascinating it really is if you lived that era of boxing
      You can find it on YouTube
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,267 posts | 282 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #1324: Dec 29, 2021 09:53:58 pm
      I think it would have been a very good fight, one that could go either way in a trilogy

Lewis was great but not unbeatable, he did lose to Oliver McCall and Hasim Racman who neither were whatsoever in Fury’s class

To be honest though I don’t like comparing eras in boxing, all you can be is the best of your era, a fury certainly is… Lewis wasn’t clearly the best of his, but his era was arguably more difficult and competitive

If you like boxing chat, have you seen the round table chat led by Johnny Nelson? All the super middles from the 90s
      Calzaghe, Roy Jones, Eubank, Collins and strangely Richie Woodhall (probably couldn’t get Benn)

Oh Lewis was the best in his era. He beat everyone he fought even after his defeats that he avenged and never dodged anyone. Was cheated for the draw against Holyfield and Bowe dodged him as he knew he’d get destroyed. Loved 80’s and 90’s boxing and have seen the the chat you said thanks mate. All very interesting and a great era of boxing 👊🏼
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1325: Dec 29, 2021 09:58:57 pm

the heavyweights division became a farce with the number of belts on offer. I like listening to Johnny Nelson and all those lads but since Tyson Fury landed a few years ago now there is real quality about  but Tyson is just a freak.
      I saw this the other day and it is telling about just how much natural raw stamina and talent has.
      https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/998889/hafthor-bjornsson-meets-tyson-fury-thor-the-mountain/
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #1326: Dec 29, 2021 10:02:58 pm

Completely disagree. Fury is so over-rated it's ridiculous. Why can't people see how clumsy he is, don't they remember how he gave himself an uppercut, how he struggled to get past taxi drivers? Wilder is the worst heavyweight in history, he doesn't even have the basics, he drags the back leg around like a dead weight. Every single time Wilder faced anyone with any ability he struggled hugely. Beating Wilder is no great achievement, although I must concede getting up from that knockout was miraculous. I've never seen anyone deeply unconscious and beat a ten count, unique as far as I know. But Fury could only beat Wilder in that first fight when he was so unfit and weak because Wilder is so bad. The list of former fighters who would beat Fury is nearly endless. Klitschko would have beaten Fury if only he let his hands go. He finally did in the last round out of desperation, landed powerful shots and easily won the round. Every rouns should have been like that. Go back and look and that round and still insist Fury is a great fighter.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1327: Dec 29, 2021 10:14:47 pm
      Completely disagree. Fury is so over-rated it's ridiculous. Why can't people see how clumsy he is, don't they remember how he gave himself an uppercut, how he struggled to get past taxi drivers? Wilder is the worst heavyweight in history, he doesn't even have the basics, he drags the back leg around like a dead weight. Every single time Wilder faced anyone with any ability he struggled hugely. Beating Wilder is no great achievement, although I must concede getting up from that knockout was miraculous. I've never seen anyone deeply unconscious and beat a ten count, unique as far as I know. But Fury could only beat Wilder in that first fight when he was so unfit and weak because Wilder is so bad. The list of former fighters who would beat Fury is nearly endless. Klitschko would have beaten Fury if only he let his hands go. He finally did in the last round out of desperation, landed powerful shots and easily won the round. Every rouns should have been like that. Go back and look and that round and still insist Fury is a great fighter.

you can disagree all you want but far more qualified people than I rate Fury that highly. your sounding rather foolish making out Tysons wins are lucky what you seem unable to appreciate is how he adapts to his opponents style.
      you havent even mentioned how much training he missed due to the premature birth of his daughter and let me tell you over coming mental health problems at the level he operates is very very impressive. Go back and read some of the boxing pundits thoughts on him
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #1328: Dec 29, 2021 10:19:48 pm
      you can disagree all you want but far more qualified people than I rate Fury that highly. your sounding rather foolish making out Tysons wins are lucky what you seem unable to appreciate is how he adapts to his opponents style.
      you havent even mentioned how much training he missed due to the premature birth of his daughter and let me tell you over coming mental health problems at the level he operates is very very impressive. Go back and read some of the boxing pundits thoughts on him

I didn't say his wins were lucky, I said he beat trash in Wilder. I don't need to listen to pundits to form opinions either.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1329: Dec 30, 2021 02:09:12 pm
      I didn't say his wins were lucky, I said he beat trash in Wilder. I don't need to listen to pundits to form opinions either.

Wow.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #1330: Dec 31, 2021 12:10:46 am

Not sure why you responded that way, Wilder isn't trash? Really? I should have phrased the second sentence better, I didn't mean to imply you are forming your opinions solely on what the "experts" think, that you cannot think for yourself. I merely meant to say I don't need to do that. There are a ton of people out there who have forgotten more than I could ever know about the technical aspects of boxing, but that doesn't mean their judgements are any more sound.
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #1331: Feb 17, 2022 04:28:17 pm
      Anyone got thoughts on Brook v Khan this weekend?

Maybe ideally this would have taken place 5 years ago but I don’t think it’s too late

Think Khan goes in as slight favourite, but I’d love to see Kell spark him. I like Brook, and he has a soft spot for the reds
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1332: Feb 17, 2022 05:32:15 pm
      Anyone got thoughts on Brook v Khan this weekend?

Maybe ideally this would have taken place 5 years ago but I don’t think it’s too late

Think Khan goes in as slight favourite, but I’d love to see Kell spark him. I like Brook, and he has a soft spot for the reds

Don’t like either of them. Brook has fought 3 people of note and he got twatted each time. Khan does well for 3 rounds and then gets twatted in his glass jaw and sparked out.

I liken this fight to watching Burnley vs West Brom - nobody really cares about it.

Waste of time fight that now has both of them trying to play the big man but it’s a nothing fighter against a nothing fighter as they try and cling on to a bang average boxing career. I’d rather watch paint dry than these two idiots.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,121 posts | 2742 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1333: Feb 17, 2022 05:54:27 pm
      Khan for me. Backed him at 8/1 to win in first 6 rounds…. Hopefully, just a fun bet though nothing big,

Quick Reply