Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Liverpool v Everton (Premier League) - Match Thread

Read 34932 times
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Re: Liverpool v Everton (Premier League) - Match Thread
      Reply #414: Jan 20, 2009 10:07:13 am
      The team hasn't turned up for alot more games than this one . . . . . .I would love to see more games like the Newcastle and Bolton wins, but 6 draws has now played us into playing catch-up and I think it will stay like that. We just haven't got what it takes to win this league.

I respect your opinion but could you please elaborate as to why you think we haven’t got what it takes especially as we have only just been knocked off the top after around seven weeks of being the leaders? Do you think our team is so much worse than the other contenders? or perhaps it’s our manager? Im not having a go I’m just interested to hear the point of view from a more pessimistic fan.
      waclander
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #415: Jan 20, 2009 10:15:30 am
      last nights result was a kick in the teeth but we're still in a great postion its true a few players just ain't up to it but we have to use what we have, kuyt/ carra combo down the right is a no go no pace in fact how kuyt stays on the pitch fo 90 mins every game is a bit strange i'm starting to think he has photo's of rafa having a good time in amsterdam ( i know he played for feyenoord in rotterdam so don't correct me )i still think Gerrard on the right is the best solution for this season we're seriously lacking out there,  Benanyun is not a wide man but might do well just behind Torres (who i love and it pains to say needs to look up more i await verbel castration for this remark).
      Think Rafa needs to get off his soap box why he starts going on  about agger's(who he dosn't play) contract when were getting ready to play the derby is strange needs to end his pi**ing contest with Parry and get on with managing (parry should go).
      Still think we can do the league but everybody needs to focus.

jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #416: Jan 20, 2009 10:32:57 am
      Of course. We have had ample opportunities to accelerate clear of the once chasing pack but have failed. 6 from 9 draws is an illustration. Ok one of these was the Derby and another was against Arsenal, which is a fair result, but Fulham, Stoke twice, West Ham? They speak volumes and it's these games we should be winning. Maybe if we had, thenwe would be well clear by now.

Ok we were top, but we have seen that disappear because of those draws, hence my opinion that we do not have what it takes.

I think we are playing some good football, but just look at Utd, Chelsea, even moreso Arsenal, they are not firing on all cylinders. We are not either, but even when we do play well, unlike the others, we don't seem able to kill the game off. I have lost count the times chelsea and Utd have got a winner in the last minute.

As far as Rafa goes, he has to take responsibility for alot of what is happening . . . . team selection etc.

Trust me, I always start the season optimistic, but our results don't lie do they? Think I'm being realistic more than pessimistic.

I respect your opinion but could you please elaborate as to why you think we haven’t got what it takes especially as we have only just been knocked off the top after around seven weeks of being the leaders? Do you think our team is so much worse than the other contenders? or perhaps it’s our manager? Im not having a go I’m just interested to hear the point of view from a more pessimistic fan.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #417: Jan 20, 2009 11:23:27 am
      Why the hell dint arby play ?? Or agger .. we dint really need hyppia cuz yakubu wasn't there ...I would have preferd agger ...! but Carra is very solid and  he's aging so she shouldn't play in such a tiresome role ! I don't understand why he dint play arby!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #418: Jan 20, 2009 11:27:32 am
      especially as we have only just been knocked off the top after around seven weeks of being the leaders?

To be fair Man United have only just stated bearing down on their games in hand.  You could argue for the last seven weeks it had been a slightly unlevel playing field?
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #419: Jan 20, 2009 11:28:05 am
      Why the hell dint arby play ?? Or agger .. we dint really need hyppia cuz yakubu wasn't there ...I would have preferd agger ...! but Carra is very solid and  he's aging so she shouldn't play in such a tiresome role ! I don't understand why he dint play arby! I did not get to see the game but I saw some stuff online.

then you souldnt have posted & made a complete fool of yourself  :f_steam:
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #420: Jan 20, 2009 11:32:14 am
      what I meant to say say was ... I'm disappointed with the choice of arby and agger not playing !

And its really weird how we conceded a goal so late on !
      « Last Edit: Jan 20, 2009 12:10:13 pm by niksluvslfc »
      Tombo
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 58 posts | -2 
      Reply #421: Jan 20, 2009 11:58:54 am
      we seem to be lacking any urgency,when we go a goal behind in a game that's when you see our best football Stevie G needs to be more vocal and get the rest of the team wound up,when we play at a high tempo no team can compete with us. last night we could have,should have over run everton and sent a message out to the league
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #422: Jan 20, 2009 12:01:53 pm
      Well i've read this thread from the final whistle to now and it's scarred with people giving the title to Scumchester already, F.F.S ! we're in the best position we've been in since the premiership began, we CAN and we WILL win this title this year.
      No TRUE fan gives up on his team EVER let alone this early in the season I'll put money on the vast majority of the people doing so being either fairly new to the forum or not been old enough to remember the good times.
      16 games left, joint top, why all the F***ing negativity !
      no one forces you to follow this great team, instead of slagging us off go and do the impossible and find a better team
      We are L.F.C,
      THE GREATEST
      BEST
      and most succesfull Club in England
      no.19 is coming home in May
      no one can stop us only ourselves !
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #423: Jan 20, 2009 12:16:22 pm
      We are the greatest and we'll NEVER give up on the Mighty Reds.

Some  posts though after the match were thoughtful and not knee-jerk.

However we can't hide from the fact that it's 4 points dropped in 2 games where we could have and should have collected 6.

We do need tinkering and it's not all doom and gloom.
      We are still very near the top, and it's a great test of our mettle to see if we're good enough to hunt down the scum and pass them again.

Come on you Mighty REDS!!!!!!
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #424: Jan 20, 2009 12:45:54 pm
      We shouldn't be joint top Frizz, we should be at least 5 clear ! You can't take positives from 6 draws that include west ham, stoke and fulham. We should be winning these game. Do you not agree?

We will not win the title if we continue to draw games. Do you not agree with that?

I have been going to Anfield for 23 years and although we are playing good football, I cant remember so many draws before the end of Jan and no team who have won the title have won it in the last 10 years with so many draws. Thats fact, do you not agree with that?

And RedStorm, its not 2 from 6, it's 6 from a possible 27 ! That is why we are sitting in second.

Well I've read this thread from the final whistle to now and it's scarred with people giving the title to Scumchester already, F.F.S ! we're in the best position we've been in since the premiership began, we CAN and we WILL win this title this year.
      No TRUE fan gives up on his team EVER let alone this early in the season I'll put money on the vast majority of the people doing so being either fairly new to the forum or not been old enough to remember the good times.
      16 games left, joint top, why all the f**king negativity !
      no one forces you to follow this great team, instead of slagging us off go and do the impossible and find a better team
      We are L.F.C,
      THE GREATEST
      BEST
      and most succesfull Club in England
      no.19 is coming home in May
      no one can stop us only ourselves !
      We are the greatest and we'll NEVER give up on the Mighty Reds.

Some  posts though after the match were thoughtful and not knee-jerk.

However we can't hide from the fact that it's 4 points dropped in 2 games where we could have and should have collected 6.

We do need tinkering and it's not all doom and gloom.
      We are still very near the top, and it's a great test of our mettle to see if we're good enough to hunt down the scum and pass them again.

Come on you Mighty REDS!!!!!!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #425: Jan 20, 2009 12:55:34 pm
      calm down,calm down, mate.  (said in scouse accent) ;)

were gonna win the leauge.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #426: Jan 20, 2009 12:56:24 pm
      I completley understand the pessimism floating around on this thread. 18 years is a long wait. As for me, being 19 years old, its great to just be feeling the tension at the top. Whilst it would be a dream come true to see us win the league, for now Im happy to enjoy literally being a top flight team and not being stuck down in fourth ! The long wait for a title chase however has made a lot of Liverpool fans more impatient than the average fan. How many mancs or chavs would write off their season with 16 games to go ??
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #427: Jan 20, 2009 01:03:04 pm
      Torres didn't score yesterday. But he had some sweet moments yesterday. Sad he didn't get the penalty.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #428: Jan 20, 2009 01:08:25 pm
      I haven't written off the season, after all there is the Champions League and the F A Cup to play for and we can can win the league if we up our game. But we wont if we dont . . . . . . . . . . I'm just stating the obvious yet people disagree and say I'm writing our season off.

I completley understand the pessimism floating around on this thread. 18 years is a long wait. As for me, being 19 years old, its great to just be feeling the tension at the top. Whilst it would be a dream come true to see us win the league, for now Im happy to enjoy literally being a top flight team and not being stuck down in fourth ! The long wait for a title chase however has made a lot of Liverpool fans more impatient than the average fan. How many mancs or chavs would write off their season with 16 games to go ??
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #429: Jan 20, 2009 01:09:13 pm
      It is silly to write us off at this stage. There is a lot of football to play and lets hope like in the last 2 seasons we finish it strongly. When the mancs were behind us earlier in the season they never lost hope and look at them now they are right back in it.

Anyone who claims we "cant" win the league this season is just being a divvy. The fact that we are in the position we are in with so much of the season already gone shows that we can...lets hope we will !
      TNAwrestling
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts |
      • Cross The Line
      Reply #430: Jan 20, 2009 01:18:31 pm
      we were solid everywhere but attacking, keane was utterly useless and did not provide any support for torres, alonso and kuyt were poor too, kuyt's ball control is terrible, he's just cant take a ball down and keep it close to him, knocks it too far ahead of himself and loses it and is afraid to take anyone on. Alonso gave the ball away far too many times.

rafa plain and simply got it wrong last night, and didnt help himself with the substitutions, taking off riera who played very well, keane and torres to replace with the useless benayoun, lucas, and poor babel didnt even touch the ball.

as i discussed with my evertonian friend (who is not bitter), i dont understand the point of spending so much money on young players in the academy and reserves and never playing them who would have been willing to give 10 times more than some of the players last night.

end of the day, it was too very good defensive teams butting heads and a draw was fair, neither team deserved the 3 points
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #431: Jan 20, 2009 01:19:05 pm
      To be fair Man United have only just stated bearing down on their games in hand.  You could argue for the last seven weeks it had been a slightly unlevel playing field?

Man U have been behind us for most of the season not just the last seven weeks and their games in hand that they won whilst we could only get four draws to three wins out of the last seven played means they have only just now overtaken us.
      I dont think its been an unlevel playing field i just think its a league title that there to be taken rather than won by the best team this season, unfortunately we do seem to drop daft points and where as in the past so where the Mancs and Chelsea they now seem to be capitalising on any mistake we make.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #432: Jan 20, 2009 01:34:32 pm
      We have had 3 chances to capitalise and we failed each time and those matches were Stoke (twice) and Fulham.
      Drawing with West Ham should have been a win, 12 Points were there for the taking and now we are playing catch up.

I don't think Utd or Chelsea will slip up much, if at all in their matches so our games with them are vital. Mind you, by that time, who's to say Aston Villa wont be sitting in 3rd or 2nd by then.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #433: Jan 20, 2009 01:35:09 pm
      Can anybody work out how in a game with so many stoppages plus subs coming on that there were only 2 minutes stoppage time? I was amazed last night when I seen the board flashing up with 2 minutes.

Im not saying its why we didnt win the match I just find it hard to understand. Couldnt help think if it was one of our rivals thered have been at least 4 minutes added time
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #434: Jan 20, 2009 02:00:00 pm
      Can anybody work out how in a game with so many stoppages plus subs coming on that there were only 2 minutes stoppage time? I was amazed last night when I seen the board flashing up with 2 minutes.

Im not saying its why we didnt win the match I just find it hard to understand. Couldnt help think if it was one of our rivals thered have been at least 4 minutes added time
      Somebody worked the extra time with a sundial,there was no way it was only 2 mins. having said that though we should have well wrapped the game up earlier we had the chances but its not all doom and gloom as Rafa said after the game we've got players coming back - Agger and Mascherano would have made all the difference last night.
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #435: Jan 20, 2009 02:04:45 pm
      Feeling disappointed because we dropped two points, but it ain't over yet. Still plenty of games for us to catch up and get top spot back.

Bring them on again Sunday, fully confident of a win.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #436: Jan 20, 2009 02:11:41 pm
      We shouldn't be joint top Frizz, we should be at least 5 clear ! You can't take positives from 6 draws that include west ham, stoke and fulham. We should be winning these game. Do you not agree?

We will not win the title if we continue to draw games. Do you not agree with that?

I have been going to Anfield for 23 years and although we are playing good football, I cant remember so many draws before the end of Jan and no team who have won the title have won it in the last 10 years with so many draws. Thats fact, do you not agree with that?

And RedStorm, its not 2 from 6, it's 6 from a possible 27 ! That is why we are sitting in second.

I'm not taking any positives form the draws at all, I'm as pissed off with the draws as is everybody else, I'm taking the positives form the wins against  the Scum, Chavs , Man city, wigan, we were losing against the top teams last season, this year it's different, we've beaten them once ! w can do it again as badly as we've been playing and dropping points right left and centre, there is after all only one team above us !
      were joint top on the results of our passed games and performances, things can only get better as the song goes ! if we lose the title (which we won't) by 1 pt would it make a bad season ?
      I've not been this excited by a league season for god knows how long !
      I'm not going to sit here reading this sh*te about how our season is finished, there's over a third of the season still to go F.F.S !
      I agree with you we have to stop drawing games, but your reference to a team not winning the league with as many draws as we have in the last 10 yrs only goes to show how long it's been since WE won it ! records are there to be beaten we've done it in the past we can do it again, do you not agree ?

Quick Reply