Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Liverpool must keep stars insists Torres

Read 6300 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Liverpool must keep stars insists Torres
      Reply #23: Jun 30, 2009 04:55:06 pm
      Torres shouldn't insist we keep our star players when the Masch/Alonso situation is so delicate. If they do leave is he going to get the hump and want out to? It only adds pressure on Rafa to keep 2 players who I personally think want out. If they are sold Rafa will do his best to replace them and hell need Carragher Gerrard and Torres to be positive and back him.

Agreed but also he's speaking off potential signings Villa Silva And Mata could he have insider information from Arbeloa and Alonso that they are leaving for sure and he's touting these names as replacements ?
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #24: Jun 30, 2009 05:43:03 pm
      Torres isn't a stupid person, he knows without the likes of Alonso and Mascherano this clubs chances of winning the league or the champions league are going to be much harder, where will that leave people like Torres if we take such a backward step, his loyalty will then be tested because it looks as there is a chance of losing both.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #25: Jun 30, 2009 06:36:36 pm
      Difference is with Torres I think if you placed a contract in front of him now to pretty much end his career here he would with out doubt sign it. If only Xabi and Mash would do the same but in all fairness it could all be about wages maybe Xabi wants a pay rise so the %33 tax does not hit his millions so badly, maybe Masch feels wages wise he should be on a level playing field as he certainly is in his importance and maybe just maybe they are just playing Real Madrid & Barcelona to get their Increase. I certainly hope so as it seems funny Xabi would bring that %33 tax thing up the more I think about it.
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #26: Jun 30, 2009 07:47:33 pm
      Torres should just say it to Xabi's face! F**k. I always thought the older people should be the ones leading the pack. Xabi is like at the same level as SG and Carra now. But he still need his youngest conutry man to tell him to stay! Torres been here for only 2 years, we feel like he grow up in Liverpool. Xabi been here for 5 years now, and he act like he don't give a F**k about it.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,202 posts | 1644 
      Reply #27: Jun 30, 2009 07:53:54 pm
      Torres should just say it to Xabi's face! F**k. I always thought the older people should be the ones leading the pack. Xabi is like at the same level as SG and Carra now. But he still need his youngest conutry man to tell him to stay! Torres been here for only 2 years, we feel like he grow up in Liverpool. Xabi been here for 5 years now, and he act like he don't give a f**k about it.
      Biggest load of bollocks I've heard. To claim he isn't committed to the club is sh*te, he has given us 5 years here and despite having the piss taken out of him last year by Benitez and the press claiming the the great Gareth Barry was to replace him, he just shrugged it off and took the piss out of his doubters with the best season yet. And now it all surfaces again, with Madrid in the hunt instead of Juve. And just like last year we hear nothing about whats going to happen with him.

I wouldn't blame him if he left after the way he has been treated. Xabi has had the respect of the club and fans to never respond to the rumours and go cry to the press about how he has been treated.
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #28: Jun 30, 2009 08:19:40 pm
      But, He keep saying its Rafa's choice to sell him or not. But Rafa already said he don't want sell. It just sound not right.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #29: Jun 30, 2009 08:53:52 pm
      But, He keep saying its Rafa's choice to sell him or not. But Rafa already said he don't want sell. It just sound not right.
      at the end of the day it is Rafa's decision to sell or not sell and Xabi knows that if he goes best of luck to him hopefully we can get some one of equal class to replace him. But if he Rafa decides not to sell him it wont affect Alonso or his performances as he is the ultimate professional
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #30: Jun 30, 2009 09:28:52 pm
      The way i see things if Alonso wants to go let him,Rafa wanted rid of him last year so he could try & get Barry.Loyalty works both ways in football.I would love for Alonso to stay but it looks unlikely.He is replaceable,the team moves on.
      Masch should remember that Rafa saved him from his West Ham nightmare,ok he has said he`s flattered by Real`s & Barca`s intrest in him - however he has also said he is happy at Liverpool.

I would like nothing more than for both players too stay & i think Masch will,however it is pointless to try & keep a player who wants to go.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #31: Jul 01, 2009 02:55:03 am
      The way I see it is that they would both be stupid to leave career wise sure run off to spain to get paid some more or perhaps in Xabi's case it's to return home or increase chances of international selection or they both think that they will go to win trophies. IMO they'll wanna come back after not to long of course I could be wrong but I can't see either getting much success.

Madrid I reckon will have the same problems that city will have too many new signings causing them to not gel and too many egos which will hinder an already tough assignment in knocking barca off the top. Barca sure it's always highly likely that they will win trophies but there style of play does not suit masch at all they are an extremely attack minded team and masch lacks those qualities and he'll probably end up on the bench or worse.

If they want to go let them we all thought it was the end of the world when owen left and the following season we won the Champions League it may be more difficult without them but we can still win number 19 because as long as we've got Gerrard, Carra, Torres, and Reina we are a massive threat not to mention we have a manager whose made a few shrewd transfers in his time and will almost certainly have replacements lined up if they do go.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #32: Jul 01, 2009 09:37:11 pm
      very true if we let to many stars go masch ,alonso we could fall behind need a good striker to compliment torres. torres has played a lot of games in off season. so we need a good striker re crouch,mccarthy,carew for when torres is injured
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #33: Jul 02, 2009 03:15:58 am
      Come on Fernando, you hate Real, let Xabi know the F**k why!
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #34: Jul 02, 2009 03:29:50 am
      Is Torres the only Spaniard at Anfield who has his head screwed on the right way around?

Possibly.

Fernando is our unofficial squad spokesman.

It's great we've finally got someone rallying on the team to keep hold of two of our best players.  We never had that a few years a go, no one would bat an eyelid.
      proud2blfc
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #35: Jul 02, 2009 03:31:38 am
      I think a lack of transfer gossip for players in the midfield position is a positive indication that neither Alonso or Masch will be leaving this summer because if Rafa was planning to sell he would already be lining up replacements and if Alonso or Masch had shown any serious intentions of leaving Liverpool again Rafa would be looking to replace them.Both players have stated they are happy at Liverpool and Rafa has stated he wants them to stay so i think lets leave it at that and take them all for their word.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #36: Jul 02, 2009 03:38:10 am
      Fernando is our unofficial squad spokesman.

It's great we've finally got someone rallying on the team to keep hold of two of our best players.  We never had that a few years a go, no one would bat an eyelid.

Ay mate, agreed. Disappointed we havent heard of Steven as much as Fernando. Steven needs to reassure everyone just how close we are. He's been here through the tough times when we fell away and he knows we arent far away from being something big, we just need to keep everyone. For once we are spoken as true title-challengers, i dont remember that happening in my life. Carra, too. They're more knowledgeable than the others as to how much progress we have made.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #37: Jul 02, 2009 08:29:34 am
      If the worlds best striker says the only place he wants to play is Anfield, then i think Xabi and Masch should have a listen to him. He knows we are on the brink of greatness, wish these guys did to.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #38: Jul 02, 2009 09:57:58 am
      I agree with Torres.

It'd be the 3rd/4th year that the first team has actually played together and there is great understanding.
      Letting our current players would mean new players enter and we have to start from scratch.
      I may be mistaken but look at the Arsenal of 2004~. Henry and co were a huge force then.

Like Fernando said, keep the stars and add new players.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #39: Jul 02, 2009 10:24:18 am
      I think a lack of transfer gossip for players in the midfield position is a positive indication that neither Alonso or Masch will be leaving this summer because if Rafa was planning to sell he would already be lining up replacements and if Alonso or Masch had shown any serious intentions of leaving Liverpool again Rafa would be looking to replace them.Both players have stated they are happy at Liverpool and Rafa has stated he wants them to stay so I think lets leave it at that and take them all for their word.

In all honesty mate its not only midfielders where there is lack of transfer gossip, Rafa has said he wants everything done in secret tansfer wise and that is exactly what seems to be happening.

As for any one trying to second guess Rafa on his potential transfers targets it would probably be easier getting their leg over at a nunnery prom night. Rafa is keeping his card close to his chest and playing his hand his own way, this may also apply for players leaving ? who's to know ? Fair play to Torres though insisting we should keep our best players its the only way to go if we want to make a natural progression.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #40: Jul 02, 2009 11:29:34 am
      Difference is with Torres I think if you placed a contract in front of him now to pretty much end his career here he would with out doubt sign it. If only Xabi and Mash would do the same but in all fairness it could all be about wages maybe Xabi wants a pay rise so the %33 tax does not hit his millions so badly, maybe Masch feels wages wise he should be on a level playing field as he certainly is in his importance and maybe just maybe they are just playing Real Madrid & Barcelona to get their Increase. I certainly hope so as it seems funny Xabi would bring that %33 tax thing up the more I think about it.

Mascherano is one of our top 5 important players, his salary doesnt justify that (in football terms). He isnt one of the biggest earners at the club and he should be. I agree with him for not being happy and who wouldn't if there were players that are earning more than you but aren't as good? I know i would be demanding for more. Hope Rafa manages to get an improved contract infront of him.
      zodiac
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts | -4 
      Reply #41: Jul 02, 2009 09:23:44 pm
      Just on the quoteable Torres- I'm a bit preturbed by the fact he's publicly 'recommending' players to Rafa. What happens if we can't get them? I hope this isn't the top of a slippery slope, a la Vieira, Henry, Ronaldo et al
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #42: Jul 02, 2009 09:34:44 pm
      Just on the quoteable Torres- I'm a bit preturbed by the fact he's publicly 'recommending' players to Rafa. What happens if we can't get them? I hope this isn't the top of a slippery slope, a la Vieira, Henry, Ronaldo et al

Being honest, I think we're in a bit of a better situation than we were in previously.

And Torres didn't necessarily say 'Rafa, go and get them please.' He suggested that players of their calibre and style would be ideal for our squad, although they would be the best options possible at the minute.

Quick Reply