Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Wigan v Liverpool - Match Thread

Read 39479 times
      fins
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts |
      Re: Wigan v Liverpool - Match Thread
      Reply #621: Jan 28, 2009 11:49:19 pm
      Might have something to do with his best is exceptional. At the moment Torres is doing no worse than Kuyt, Babel and especaially Keane have done of late.
      most of his play tonight was terrible.. if it were kuyt babel, or keane we would be shouting for their heads.
      His exceptional best is a long way off unfortunatley. I'm not a pro footballer but ham string injuries can be a complete b***ard to a point that you are afraid to go full throttle for fear of it tearing again.. it takes time to get the confidence back in sprinting never mind playing ball
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,378 posts | 4978 
      Reply #622: Jan 28, 2009 11:52:03 pm
      Poor performance with the result it deserved. Not good enough!

The team is displaying all the same faults as it did last year which is a lack of creativity in the final third, inability to pass the ball properly and more importantly a real lack of desire to go out and win games.

I highlighted these three points after the West Ham game last year and it seem we are making the same mistakes all over again.

The team picked by Rafa tonight should beat Wigan any day of the week especially considering they lost two of their best players and another one out injured.

We are not out of it yet but performances have to change starting with Sunday or I can only see us going one way in the table and it's not to the top.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #623: Jan 29, 2009 12:00:07 am
      Everyone's dressing room in spliting at this rate from what I'm hearing......::)

Splitters!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #624: Jan 29, 2009 12:00:53 am
      I'm glad the Chelsea game is being played in February cos January has been an awful month for us.

Torres needs to get himself fit for Sunday, we need 11 Gladiators out there on the pitch.

Let battle commence.

Three points..........that's all we want, don't care how we get them............but three points please...pretty please.

All is not lost.

Keep the faith.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #625: Jan 29, 2009 12:07:51 am
      if the reds can only average 1 goal a game then its time to rebuild. we need strikers who can score and not rely on stevie g all the time.so much consistency now 1 goal a game.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #626: Jan 29, 2009 12:12:04 am
      Our goals for this season has been dismal.

Regrettable that we sold Crouch.  Considering he left to get games it is surprising how much of a chance Keane has been given to be honest (even accounting for Torres injury problems).

For a striker, Kuyt was a terrible purchase.  I was under the impression Babel was also bought as a striker.  Voronin also poor.

Our current team are making Bellamy, Cisse and Crouch all look prolific.  We're just not creating decent chances - our passing is neither quick enough nor accurate enough.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #627: Jan 29, 2009 12:58:02 am
      Get a f**king clue you mindless tit. He has been awesome this half. So sick of the Lucas bashing for no bloody reason.

WELL?
      « Last Edit: Jan 29, 2009 02:03:08 pm by Reslivo, Reason: Please just learn to quote. »
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #628: Jan 29, 2009 01:15:01 am

you're not serious are you? did you watch the game at all? no complaint or criticism of Torres but he was abysmal the whole game.
      Beansie
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 370 posts |
      Reply #629: Jan 29, 2009 01:17:04 am
      you're not serious are you? did you watch the game at all? no complaint or criticism of Torres but he was abysmal the whole game.

the guy is still regaining fitness
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #630: Jan 29, 2009 01:19:46 am
      Just wish we showed more heart, passion, flair, creativity, unpredicability and guile. This game was a reflection of liverpools second half to the season
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #631: Jan 29, 2009 01:21:45 am
      Maybe rafas coaching sessions r overly technical and lacking in endorsing creativity and spontaity...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #632: Jan 29, 2009 01:35:44 am
      Having watched most of the game again Babel Torres and Masch were our worst players. People see what they want to see but that tackle aside Lucas was far from being our worst player. I would drop all three to the bench for Sunday.

albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #633: Jan 29, 2009 02:14:27 am
      We threw away 2 points tonight and 2 against Everton because of negativity.

1-0 is always a very dangerous score.  Any fluke can ruin your night. You need to be determined to get a 2nd in these matches to secure the 3 points. Unfortunately our team is psychologically trained by Rafa to not lose at all costs. Therefore our focus is on not conceding instead of getting the 2nd goal.

It's why our passing becomes so terrible. Because the players are totally concentrating on keeping their defensive shape and stopping the opposition scoring. Instead of being constructive when we get the ball, we keep giving it away and put ourselves under more pressure.  It's why we have lost only one league game - and drawn 9.

You need to risk defeat sometimes to attain victory. Rafa won't do that so we keep drawing.

that puts it all in a nutshell for me. nail-head!
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #634: Jan 29, 2009 02:32:01 am
      well good point about ex liverpool men finding the net see the scoring for premier league.now we are saddled with guys who are constantly mssing sitters.rafa needs to change his tactics because we could keep slipping down the table
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #635: Jan 29, 2009 02:42:07 am
      I'd advise everybody ignore this person at the moment. Nothing useful to say.

The facts are that we aren't out of the title race just yet. Okay, we've hit a poor run of form - as every team does. It just so happened that ours was when we were in a good position.

We may not win it this year, but if we don't we will be there abouts - which is what we wanted at the beginning of the season.

i don't totally agree with your "poor run of form" comment. to my mind we have only had a few games where we have really looked good, and even then mostly only in patches. don't forget how we were all soaking up our good results early in the season while acknowledging that we were basically playing rubbish. the optimists thought that it could only improve, that we would start playing well AND keep getting the results. the pessimists (realists?) feared we would keep playing rubbish and STOP getting the results.

i am finding it hard to be optimistic now. we have lost all momentum and our strikers, even Torres, look hopelessly off form. Where are the goals going to come from?
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #636: Jan 29, 2009 02:43:47 am
      I don't totally agree with your "poor run of form" comment. to my mind we have only had a few games where we have really looked good, and even then mostly only in patches. don't forget how we were all soaking up our good results early in the season while acknowledging that we were basically playing rubbish. the optimists thought that it could only improve, that we would start playing well AND keep getting the results. the pessimists (realists?) feared we would keep playing rubbish and STOP getting the results.

I am finding it hard to be optimistic now. we have lost all momentum and our strikers, even Torres, look hopelessly off form. Where are the goals going to come from?

wow....someone must hate this post...it was voted minus 2 the second I posted it...;D

btw, how DO you vote on a post? (EDIT: OK....I see the Good/Bad buttons now!)
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #637: Jan 29, 2009 02:51:37 am
      wow....someone must hate this post...it was voted minus 2 the second I posted it...;D

btw, how DO you vote on a post? (EDIT: OK....I see the Good/Bad buttons now!)

Certainly wasn't me, but I'm sure your unfound negativity doesn't help your cause.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #638: Jan 29, 2009 03:10:01 am
      Having watched most of the game again Babel Torres and Masch were our worst players.

Javi I thought was one of the better players out there, set up the goal and controol the middle with Lucas (who I feel bad for cause he did cause the pk but played okay). I thought Gerrard was poor on the night, looked a shadow of the player on the weekend who was all over the place. I agree with the other two, Babel has really gone south, one good run in 70 minutes is terrible and Torres wasn't sharp and was losing the ball way too much.

It is the same old story though, I should just cut and paste my comments about the past 4 games and they are all the same. Didn't get the killer goal, attack from the full-backs to the strikers and everyone between is too slow and poor in the final third. Poor tackle from Lucas which cause the pk but the game should of been wrapped up by then.

barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #639: Jan 29, 2009 03:49:45 am
      Cannot understand Lucas starting, adds very little as an attacking threat, and commits too many fouls making him a defensive liability. The penalty is a prime example of his poor tackling, and its not just today, its everytime he plays. Perhaps Benitez starting with a weakened line up, and his substitutions were influenced by the fact that Wigan had an even more weakened line up after recent events, and he was trying to keep some freshness to key players ahead of some more difficult fixtures.

Yossi Benayoun was the shining light today and cannot understand why he was taken off, I dont think he was injured, the move was planned before he was involved in the incident that found him on the ground.
      Then we have the removal of Torres and Gerrard, both of who looked out of sorts, however, similar to previous situations, we are left with no attacking threat to retrieve the situation.

Is it more than a coincidence that  Wigan were able to move forward with more ease after their removal?

Walking away with a point seemed like a disaster, and in the end a relief, after the Wigan debut striker rattled the crossbar with an unbelievable strike. But lets be honest about the situation and admit that Babel does not seem to be quite ready, and Benitez has all but decided that Keane has had his chances, and is now well down the pecking order. We need to acquire a finisher, perhaps a "Tim Cahill" type who can threaten at set pieces and provide a threat in the air.

As frustrating as it may seem, the fact remains that with 67% of the possession in the first half 3-0 would have been a more appropriate score, with Torres dreadfully unlucky to be denied by the woodwork. For large parts of the second half, however, Wigan played an open game and that is where you would expect us to be able to punish them, but didnt. Again, I am left feeling that we are still playing too defensively, and wonder how much of this is ingrained in the players by the Benitez style.
      Tactically, team selection wise, and substitutions wise I feel he had a poor match. However, players lacking form is not helping the cause, and after today the mountain just got a little bit harder to climb.
      As usual, remain positive, and hope for a reversal in form of some key players in the run home. I keep replaying the video of the Newcastle match everytime I get doubtful, and that rekindles the faith.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #640: Jan 29, 2009 04:08:04 am
      Before the season started, I was afraid this would happen to Fernando. With a wonderful first season, I was quite unsure that the feat could not be done again. This hasn't been helped with the fact that he's been injured like half the season.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #641: Jan 29, 2009 05:00:12 am
      Before the season started, I was afraid this would happen to Fernando. With a wonderful first season, I was quite unsure that the feat could not be done again. This hasn't been helped with the fact that he's been injured like half the season.

After pulling hamstrings, some player struggle psychologically I wonder if this is the case with Nando??? Defo not himself and fitness lavels apart seemed to be struggling a bit.Micheal Owen is a good example of this.
      I think the reason Bellamy,Cisse & Crouch have shone since leaving us is simple,They're new managers showed confidence in them and the rest is history.Rafa IMO should give the Torres / Keane partnership an extended run and like most of us who thought when we signed Keane that it would be a great partnership might get our wish.One more thing thought Yossi was MOM and should defo be ahead of Kuyt in the pecking order. 

LETS GET POSITIVE FOR SUNDAY           

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #642: Jan 29, 2009 05:09:04 am
      I never thought it'd be a good signing and it isnt, i cannot believe that some on here and on other sites are so impatient with our whole side's PL campaign they lose it after a draw to Wigan/Everton or whenever but are willing to risk giving Keane/Torres another go.

Fans these days (i know, i'm one of the new breed too but i know how it worked back in the glory years) are so two-faced they dont know what they're saying.

Get a f**king clue you mindless tit. He has been awesome this half. So sick of the Lucas bashing for no bloody reason.
      [ /quote]

WELL?

I left at half time buddy. I saw a Lucas who was involved, passing and moving and creating for Gerrard. He played the Xabi role as good as someone who is asked to do it could do.

He will cop so much sh*t for this but watching back, he wasnt our worst player and far from it. Go on and say Torres was sh*t today, because he was. If that were Keane you would say to sell him and so would most others.
      Epicthunder
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 206 posts | -1 
      Reply #643: Jan 29, 2009 05:23:24 am
      crouchino is right,  He plays his best every game and giving away the penalty was a mistakes and everyone makes mistakes....

Quick Reply