Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 14th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P2 W1 D1 L0

Rogan Taylor accused of cashing in on Hillsborough

Read 2989 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Rogan Taylor accused of cashing in on Hillsborough
      Feb 09, 2009 05:59:26 pm
      Liverpool University professor Rogan Taylor "wanted cash" for Hillsborough chat

A LIVERPOOL University footballing professor has been accused of “cashing in” on the Hillsborough disaster after he tried to charge hundreds of pounds for interviews on the anniversary of the tragedy.

Academic Rogan Taylor told a Danish documentary maker he would only talk to them for 500 euro (£450). The production company refused and have accused Taylor of “letting down the families of those that lost the lives”.

Last night, Prof Taylor described the allegations as “scurrilous” and said he would fully defend himself.

The professor heads Liverpool University's Football Industry Group which has been involved in carrying out research into the disaster which claimed 96 lives, in April, 1989.

Prof Taylor pioneered the world’s first football degree and has acted as an advisor to the FA, the Premier League and a number of top clubs.

He has also been outspoken about Liverpool FC’s current ownership situation, and has set up the fan group, ShareLiverpoolFC. The organisation aims to recruit 100,000 Liverpool fans to club together and buy the Anfield giants from Americans Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

In his email to the Danish TV company, Taylor says: “By sheer coincidence, I’ve got two days of interviews with Carlsberg on 11/12 Feb in Lpool!

“But I should be able to fit you in some time on those days.

“We can arrange the actual time nearer the day, as I haven't got the specific times from Carlsberg yet.

“I will require a fee of 500 (in euros!) All the best, Rogan.”

Yesterday Peter Schulz, who is making the documentary for Danish TV, said he was “stunned” at Taylor's demands.

Mr Schulz said: “To try and make money by charging for interviews on the anniversary of the disaster is just appalling.

“We expected to buy him lunch or a coffee or two when we came to Liverpool to interview him, but when we read his demands we were completely stunned.”

A total of 96 Liverpool fans died as a result of the crush at Hillsborough's Leppings Lane terrace on April 15, 1989.

The disaster changed the face of modern-day football and, since then, terraces have been replaced with all-seater stadia, and fences removed from around pitches.

A memorial service to remember those who lost their lives will be held in Liverpool on the 20th anniversary of the disaster.

Anne Williams, who lost her son Kevin 20 years ago, says she is “absolutely disgusted” by Professor Taylor’s cash demands.

Mrs Williams, of Hope For Hillsborough, said: “I have seen Mr Taylor and various Hillsborough events over the years and I feel let down by him.

“To charge for a short interview about the disaster is just disgusting.”

Mrs Williams, of Formby, wrote a book herself with all proceeds to her fight for jus-tice for the 96 fans who died.

She added: “What annoys me most is, like my son, this man is a Liverpool FC supporter. We need people like him to help the cause, and help fight for justice. He is supposed to be an intelligent man, an academic, and his voice could be heard by so many people who would listen to him, yet because of his own greed people should refuse to pay him.”

John Glover, founder member of the Hillsborough Justice Campaign, said he was surprised and disgusted at the professor's request for money, and added: “I’ve never made a penny out of Hillsborough, but I know there have been plenty of people who have.

“I know Rogan and I'm very, very surprised at his demands for money.

“I find the whole thing disgusting really.”

Prof Rogan told the Sunday Express yesterday his demand for a fee was “a way of saying no”. He claimed he was already “doing lots of work on Hillsborough” with no payment: “I wrote a book and all the royalties went to the Hillsborough families. I can defend myself.”

Last night, he refused to comment fully on the allegations, but described them as “scurrilous”.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/02/09/liverpool-university-professor-rogan-taylor-wanted-cash-for-hillsborough-chat-64375-22886536/

Over the years I've found a better way of saying 'No' is by using the word 'No'
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Re: Rogan Taylor accused of cashing in on Hillsborough
      Reply #1: Feb 09, 2009 06:04:41 pm
      If they had offered him the €500, would he have still said no?

There must be some truth in it if Rogan Taylor has commented on it.  Very surprising really.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,206 posts | 3391 
      Reply #2: Feb 09, 2009 06:06:55 pm
      A bit worrying, I think in future Rogan Taylor is best just saying no. Saves a lot of trouble.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #3: Feb 09, 2009 06:06:56 pm
      Take the cash and donate every penny to the HJC.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,373 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Feb 09, 2009 06:42:04 pm

What I was going to say Smiggs is are we sure that wasnt his intention in the first place?
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #5: Feb 09, 2009 06:48:02 pm

He should've said this to the Sunday Express instead of saying it was “a way of saying no”.

I have no doubt he is an honourable man, but you know what journalists are like, anything for a bit of scandal.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #6: Feb 10, 2009 06:29:00 am
      He probably thought that asking such a small fee for an interview would not be a big deal and that he would get away with it unnoticed.

Should have just said No.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #7: Feb 10, 2009 07:29:03 am
       I wonder if Professor Taylor gives his better half 500 euros every she says no to him.Seriously though he has got enough intelligence to know that the documentary maker would interpret his actions as being on the level and genuinly expecting to be paid for the interview.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #8: Feb 10, 2009 09:30:20 am
      The evidence is there in black and white; he did ask for 500 euros.

His "excuse": the demand for a fee was “a way of saying no” is very lame to be honest.

Sorry Rogan but for an academic, (a Prof, no less), you displayed a distinct lack of savvy on this issue. B.T.W. The accusations were not "scurrilous" in their delivery and my advice to you is, (like Zammo), just say no!

Hope this ain't the tip of an iceberg.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #9: Feb 10, 2009 09:51:32 am
      I don't know whats gone on here and i don't know the guy personally so it is hard to work out if his words are aimed at him trying to make money out of the situation at a personal level or whether he was actually going to donate. I am going to stay in a positive manner and suggest he was going to donate, hope i am right ;D. Never the less, he shouldn't of said any of this.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #10: Feb 10, 2009 11:49:05 am
      I'm surprised at Rogan.............I'd of thought he would have had more about him than to ask for money to do an interview.

Shame on him  :(
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,908 posts | 6832 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #11: Feb 10, 2009 12:03:07 pm
      Don't worry MsG, I think Rogan's only joshing  ;)
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #12: Feb 10, 2009 03:05:44 pm
      I  understand the Families have met him and are satisified so that good enough for me.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #13: Feb 10, 2009 03:29:13 pm
      Agreed johnstop.

Heard all about this yesterday and was surprised at his notion. My first thought was that he was obviously trying to increase the share Liverpool kitty.

But I believe the majority of the families don't have any grief with him over this.

Nobody's perfect.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #14: Feb 12, 2009 04:04:19 pm
      For mine, a man in his position should have shown more discretion, he could have said that he was donating the fee to HJC as others have said.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #15: Feb 12, 2009 05:45:06 pm
      I dont know anything about him but this is disgusting if true. I am sure he is not the first person to do it however.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #16: Feb 12, 2009 05:53:18 pm
      you should know about him he was trying to organise a fans buyout. Equally as has been mentioned the families have met with him and are satisfied with his explanation. If they are happy then its got to be a closed matter.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #17: Feb 12, 2009 10:05:00 pm
      you should know about him he was trying to organise a fans buyout. Equally as has been mentioned the families have met with him and are satisfied with his explanation. If they are happy then its got to be a closed matter.

Sorry, i never heard of him. I know about the share liverpool fc but i didn't know that he was in charge of it.
      ohcampione
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #18: Feb 15, 2009 02:49:00 am
      Sorry, I never heard of him. I know about the share liverpool fc but I didn't know that he was in charge of it.

He has been bringing the ShareLiverpool conferences all around Britian, Ireland and Norway its a load of sh*te if you ask me. Lets say they buy the club, how are they supposed to get money for transfers ?

Quick Reply