Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

A history lesson

Read 1423 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,382 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      A history lesson
      Feb 18, 2009 01:14:52 pm
      Im sick reading stuff like "utd 25 games from immortality" and sh**e like that. But then I wondered if the likes of our players reading that get it in the back of there heads that utd are some kind of untouchables. Ok Stevie, Carra and 1 or 2 others would hold no fear of them but other players might.

How do you counter this? Well why not, after training one afternoon, sit the squad down and shown them the history of this great club. Show our foreign lads who may not know they are at the most succesful club in the land despite the press never talking about it. Let them see what the club means to its people how we reacted to disasters on and off the field. Let them see the 5 European cup wins show them title after title coming year after year.

They may not realise what a giant they play for. That there club fears nobody especially the mancs. Perhaps if they knew more about what the club has done they would go onto the field feeling like the invincible ones and go onto claim the title?

Our history is a powerful weapon
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Re: A history lesson
      Reply #1: Feb 18, 2009 01:36:56 pm
      I like the idea. I heard when Torres was over here for his transfer negotiations he locked himself in his room with books and DVD's about the club past and present. I think it shows in the way he relates to the fans. It might help players like Babel show a bit more pride in the jersey!

All in all its not a bad idea, i woluld like to see it happening. There are times when you think only the fans care about the club this would be a way to bring the team in. It would help the team understand the fans frustrations alot of the time!
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #2: Feb 18, 2009 01:51:46 pm
      It might help players like Babel show a bit more pride in the jersey!

Sorry, but that's rubbish. Babel has said time and time again how he wants to be a success here. He has reacted well to being left out - much better than Robbie Keane did.

Just because he's out of form, doesn't mean he has no pride. He's not a blood-and-thunder type player anyway.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #3: Feb 18, 2009 02:02:33 pm

Sorry, but that's rubbish. Babel has said time and time again how he wants to be a success here. He has reacted well to being left out - much better than Robbie Keane did.

Just because he's out of form, doesn't mean he has no pride. He's not a blood-and-thunder type player anyway.

Thank you.. Finally some one else has cottoned on to these quick short silly comments that fans occasionally squeeze in..
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #4: Feb 18, 2009 02:17:28 pm
      "12 games from greatness" - that was one from 2002 from our own Gerard Houllier, which blew up in his face.

"Give it to them now" - Daily Mirror on the first day of the 1985/86 season, saying Utd would win the league. They never, we won the double.

I just try to ignore half the sh*te the press come out with, especially where Man Utd are concerned.

The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #5: Feb 18, 2009 02:35:45 pm

I know he wants to be a success here. He is asking for his chance fair enough, but when he does play he doesn't seem interested. That is my opinion mate and if your's differs i respect that. But maybe I'm just one of these people that is disappointed after Babel showed so much promise last season. Maybe I'm being harsh saying he doesn't show pride in the jersey. I agree that he is 'not a blood-and-thunder type player anyway.' but i just want to see an improvement on the player i seen last season. The whole situation about wanting to go on loan to Ajax didn't impress me.

Anyway I am going off topic, I agree with Huyton Red. We should ignore the nonsense that the press come out with and hopefully the players will as well. Unfortunately the media can be just as strong a weapon, that wont work in our favour!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #6: Feb 18, 2009 02:43:25 pm
      At least we know we're the underdogs. Pressure on United now!
      livernicky
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #7: Feb 18, 2009 03:58:44 pm
      think a few of the guys in the squad could do wit a little reminder that the scum can and will be beaten. stevie, carra, torres, kuyt, sami and the rest of the guys you would expect believe but one or two im a bit worried about. its quite simple, we beat them at anfield earlier in the season and i know old trafford hasnt exactly bin good to us over the past couple of seasons but they are beatable. fergie likes to put the shits up opponents when they play thier but we need to go into the game and put them on the back foot, dont let them build their momentum and sit back, go at their throats and try and bully them a bit. every single player thats steps on that pitch needs to be willing to spit blood for us and i pray thats the case. when they drop points i think a wee spell could follow and thats wen we need to stand up to the plate and show them we r liverpool football club and nobody fucks with us.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #8: Feb 18, 2009 04:33:46 pm
      Lets all have positive thoughts tonight for Danny Murphy to haunt UTD once again.
      livernicky
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #9: Feb 18, 2009 05:08:58 pm
      i agree johnstop come on danny.

Quick Reply