Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Liverpool v. Man City Match Thread

Read 41243 times
      Buddy Franklin
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Re: Liverpool v. Man City Match Thread
      Reply #529: Feb 22, 2009 05:27:31 pm
      not blaming anyone just stating a fact that the owners should have made the money available. jst an absolutely shattering result. having some serious troubles getting to sleep
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #530: Feb 22, 2009 05:28:11 pm

I suppose if it was dark and he crept up on me pulling this face, I'd feel the same! ;)

fins
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts |
      Reply #531: Feb 22, 2009 05:28:28 pm
      I think rafa is just letting those yanks know who the real boss is.. he will sign i reckon  but is letting them sweat a bit.  Most managers would'nt take the crap he has for the last 1 and half years..
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #532: Feb 22, 2009 05:28:32 pm
      Dossena was rubbish, great sub Rafa! Riera was wasteful, great sub Rafa! Benayoun was amazing great start Rafa. Kompany should have been off the field...bad choice Phil...KUYT played well, Amen!!! Lucas nothing special, but ok....Masch was insisting upon the game, Arbeloa solid game...We should have won easily, but dropped off a bit a the start of the second half.

I hate setanta match analyst!!! They suck!!!

Dossena was not rubbish. He actually made up for the sub par performance of Riera today. Just because a player had had a run of bad games in the past is a reason to slag him even when he plays well.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #533: Feb 22, 2009 05:28:42 pm
      Luck always plays a part in close games and their goal had all the luck going and if we had had a little of the luck MC had we would have won by a hat-full.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #534: Feb 22, 2009 05:29:58 pm
      Still can't understand why Aurelio was dropped. I haven't exactly been thrilled too often during his time at Anfield but of late he's been as good as ever, so why drop him?

Same here mate. I just don't see any logic behind it. Add to the fact that he can cause problems from set pieces too. Because after all, Gerrard and Alonso weren't about today to take them.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #535: Feb 22, 2009 05:30:07 pm
      Reslivo...........  

How can you watch a match pan out like that and not see how different things look when attacking players are thrown on in numbers.?
      How can you not see when the likes of Kuyt and Benayoun stay further forward we are not more of a threat?

You cant always get away with it like against Portsmouth with goals in the 85th and 92nd minutes. The pressure has been on us to WIN matches and not DRAW matches for weeks now, and yet we continually week in and week out line up with a defensive team, a defensive formation, and a defensive mindset.  

The pattern is we dominate possession, with very few real cutting edge chances, and the opponent looks more dangerous on the breakaway anyway.
      We need to go all out attack from the start, and then once a couple ahead if he wants to go more defensive, not the other way around.  WHy?  Because we are behind in the title chase, and people who are behind need to take risks.
      Rafas idea of an extra attacker in the final 10 minutes of a match is like trying to pick up elephants droppings with a tissue.  
      MsGerrard
      Reply #536: Feb 22, 2009 05:30:39 pm
      Could have got a lot worse........ the title has just gone

No...............you are wrong, I hope the players don't give up as easily as you

The title hasn't gone.............yet.

But we've just made it that little bit harder for ourselves.

I refuse to give up until it is mathematically impossible for us to not win it.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #537: Feb 22, 2009 05:30:44 pm
      not blaming anyone just stating a fact that the owners should have made the money available.

Mate, they've put the club at least £350 million in debt, haven't built the stadium they promised, and aren't willing to invest in the squad!

Sleep well! ;)
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #538: Feb 22, 2009 05:31:46 pm
      I suppose if it was dark and he crept up on me pulling this face, I'd feel the same! ;)

Funny.

He can be a good midfielder, but...
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #539: Feb 22, 2009 05:32:07 pm
      At this stage if we lose or draw, we are out and if we win we're in. Let's stop being unfair, let's just say we're in mathematically and until proved differently we can win the title. This might just be the catalyst we need to go into the Real match. And try to keep the pace, as I've said; If we dont win it this year, next will definitely be ours!! This season has been the learning curb and if we win it. That's an incentive...
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #540: Feb 22, 2009 05:32:30 pm
      Reslivo...........  

How can you watch a match pan out like that and not see how different things look when attacking players are thrown on in numbers.?
      How can you not see when the likes of Kuyt and Benayoun stay further forward we are not more of a threat?

You cant always get away with it like against Portsmouth with goals in the 85th and 92nd minutes. The pressure has been on us to WIN matches and not DRAW matches for weeks now, and yet we continually week in and week out line up with a defensive team, a defensive formation, and a defensive mindset.  

The pattern is we dominate possession, with very few real cutting edge chances, and the opponent looks more dangerous on the breakaway anyway.
      We need to go all out attack from the start, and then once a couple ahead if he wants to go more defensive, not the other way around.  WHy?  Because we are behind in the title chase, and people who are behind need to take risks.
      Rafas idea of an extra attacker in the final 10 minutes of a match is like trying to pick up elephants droppings with a tissue.  

I'll answer that later when I'm not as pissed off.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #541: Feb 22, 2009 05:35:07 pm

I think I might have nightmares tonight.  :o

Sorry Mags !
      RedDrog
      • Forum John Toshack

• 264 posts |
      Reply #542: Feb 22, 2009 05:36:35 pm
      luck has nothing to do with it when you draw more games than anyone else in the league. I feel we're a match for anyone in a two leg situation or once off. But consistency is the key to winning a championship, as we all on here should know. The best that can come of this is that we learn from it for next season.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #543: Feb 22, 2009 05:39:40 pm
      The things that always set Liverpool supporters apart from Man U fans was that we "knew" football, we loved football and, above all, we were honest. We never let blind loyalty get in the way of that honesty. If we weren't playing well, (unlike the scum) we said so. We won with grace and we lost with grace. I still hold this to be true.

This team and these "tactics" will not win us the league - not this season - not any season. Changes are needed and the sooner we stop denying this the sooner we can improve.
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #544: Feb 22, 2009 05:41:26 pm
      Really dissapointed, starting to accept that it's getting very difficult for us to be able to win this title. Although i still have faith and will believe right up until the end. won't give up on it just yet.
      fins
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts |
      Reply #545: Feb 22, 2009 05:42:20 pm
      by the time united play again liverpool could be within a point of them.. Newcastle could do us a favour and get a draw and then it's the showdown.. win it and we are a point ahead.. with them a gane in hand.. but all of a sudden we are back in it..
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #546: Feb 22, 2009 05:42:48 pm
      The things that always set Liverpool supporters apart from Man U fans was that we "knew" football, we loved football and, above all, we were honest. We never let blind loyalty get in the way of that honesty. If we weren't playing well, (unlike the scum) we said so. We won with grace and we lost with grace. I still hold this to be true.
      I don't understand why you have used past terms, as if we no longer do them things.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #547: Feb 22, 2009 05:42:57 pm
      What was wrong with the tactics in this game? Ok Masch came off a little later than what the game suggested...but if we had taken our chances, we not being hearing statements about tactics. Aside from that, we dominated the game...what we shouldnt dominate games anymore?
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #548: Feb 22, 2009 05:44:38 pm
      by the time united play again liverpool could be within a point of them.. Newcastle could do us a favour and get a draw and then it's the showdown.. win it and we are a point ahead.. with them a gane in hand.. but all of a sudden we are back in it..

good point, lets hope.
      raj2010
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts |
      Reply #549: Feb 22, 2009 05:44:44 pm
      Do you guys think Rafa will sign on?
      fins
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts |
      Reply #550: Feb 22, 2009 05:47:38 pm
      Do you guys think Rafa will sign on?
      reckon so,...but maybe he has been pushed too far
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #551: Feb 22, 2009 05:50:10 pm
      Its not over but its so disappointing. We have had our chances to win this league but our home form has been woeful is this down to tactics I dont know really something isnt right. But then we all know that there are lots of things not right with the club at the moment and maybe the negativity shows in matches such as this.One thing is for sure Rafa has had his hands tied what price on Barry now he certainly would have added a bit more guile and composure. We are where we are not where we want to be so stroll on Weds and a good performance will give us a much needed boost.Can you imagine how awful its going to feel if we dont win the title but only loose 1 game all  season.

Quick Reply