Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Real Madrid vs Liverpool - CL 1st Leg - Match-thread

Read 41590 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Re: Real Madrid vs Liverpool - CL 1st Leg - Match-thread
      Reply #322: Feb 26, 2009 01:05:54 am
      Fairly decent article.

I'd completely forgot that Madrid have been resting their players at periods ever since the draw was made whereas we only started really thinking about it at around 6pm on Sunday.

brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #323: Feb 26, 2009 01:11:51 am
      Very well put mr robbyr couldnt of put it better,bloody brillant just got in from the boozer(macclesfield supporters club)and it was bouncing.
      A excellent result...............top post lad very poetic.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #324: Feb 26, 2009 01:13:32 am
      Not surprised I was calm at work yesterday. We're F***ing monsters in Europe and people are just jealous of it. Any surprise the media have to stir it up when we have a big game like this?...

Real Madrid are legendary in European football, but so are we. And tonight we proved that again - without mouthing off, which gives me great satisfaction.

Still a game at Anfield to play though, so there better not be any complacency from anyone. We've still got a job to do.

But I thought our reds went about the job very well last night. It was like an old style European game. We came out more clever. And our traveling red army done us all proud once again. I wish some people could realise that's exactly what we are - an army that stands shoulder to shoulder with the players and the manager. And Anfield is our turf!!!!!!!

Yossi was my man of the match, but Aurelio also made me smile straight from the first whistle.

We defended as unit, our midfield was a unit and we took a chance when it came. Nobody in their right mind can blame Real Madrid for that....

The only thing that pissed me off was Riera.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #325: Feb 26, 2009 01:24:52 am
      Yeah but rriera was drifting in to nulify the the threat of madrids midfield ,dont get me wrong i was shouting and screaming for him to go past on the wing but as you watched it worked with madrids midfield looking clueles.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #326: Feb 26, 2009 01:26:50 am
      Yeah but rriera was drifting in to nulify the the threat of madrids midfield ,dont get me wrong i was shouting and screaming for him to go past on the wing but as you watched it worked with madrids midfield looking clueles.

He was simply poor mate.

But we done the business and that's all that matters.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #327: Feb 26, 2009 01:27:21 am
      I agree Kenny one player that did piss me off was Riera, he was shocking again third match in a row now! He did well at times to help Aurelio stop Robben but gave away possesion far too easily and was not effective in attack at all. He seems to have lost his ability to take on a player and create a dangerous situation for us. Babel was also piss poor and proved to me again that his natural position is not up front as a striker, he did F**k all for 30 minutes and displayed a horrendous first touch. Well that is the only two issues I had with the game sorry to put a negative spin on a glorious night.

Roll on now to Boro!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #328: Feb 26, 2009 01:27:45 am
      Good post Kenny.

For some reason looking through the pre-match thread the vast majority of people were supremely optimistic.  I certainly was.

All the resting of players Madrid did, the fact they were doing all the talking about hammering us - you just knew they had fear.  This season we've had some ropey home results in the league, and I've already made my point that I think the poor performance of the Anfield crowd has been a major hindrance, but the difference between Benitez's Liverpool and any other Liverpool of the last 20 years is that we genuinely do not fear anybody.  We can beat anybody, and more often than not we do.

Fantastic stuff from the travelling reds.  I hope you're all sorted for Anfield and you're all standing near me.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #329: Feb 26, 2009 01:33:27 am
      Well whatever fella,s like youve said JOB DONE.top night and another great result..
      NandoTheLegend
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts |
      Reply #330: Feb 26, 2009 02:17:42 am
      What a game! Benayoun was top class and has shown a remarkable improvement to his form.  Masc and Xavi in the middle we excellent as usual as was the back four.  I hope that we can play like that this weekend in the Prem. league
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #331: Feb 26, 2009 04:13:18 am
      what a game! we secure another great european away victory!!!
       our defence was simply brilliant! (and we didn't concede in so many set-pieces!  :P )
      yossi was awesome! aurelio proves once again he is a master at taking set-pieces, what a pin-point cross for yossi!!
      now let them come to anfield, we'll beat them by a bigger margin!!
      FP928
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #332: Feb 26, 2009 04:22:14 am
      The team put out a great performance, but the stand-outs were definitely Benayoun and Aurelio.
      This just proves, once again, that Liverpool are most certainly not a one-man/two-men team.
      Brilliant job, lads.
      I hope to see the same winning spirit in the PL and in the 2nd leg.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #333: Feb 26, 2009 04:46:21 am
      YAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! What a win. Nervous as hell at school wanting to know the result and when i saw Yossi nod it home i could have got suspended for the amount of expletives i used.

We are favourites but still have a job to do at Anfield. If they score its back to an even game so we have to watch out but hopefully this kicks us on.

Well done Red men.

As i didnt see from the 58th onwards i can only judge on what i did see and that was Riera winning it and then gifting it without any fuss. He's been horrendous for a couple months now, needs to sort it out. This isnt the Riera that played at Espanyol, he played more directly and less dazzle. I thought it wouldnt be enough for him to make it here and he proved me wrong in his first couple games but now since he has taken on a show pony role i want him to go back to his less dazzling, more effective and direct style of play.

But its our night, so who cares!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #334: Feb 26, 2009 05:01:47 am
      Had a feeling you'd come back and be pleased with that result crouchinho ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #335: Feb 26, 2009 05:04:46 am
      Had a feeling you'd come back and be pleased with that result crouchinho ;)

Would be a pretty safe bet to think so mate :D Albeit my reputation amongst my teachers as plummeted about 90%.

I've noticed how the players who talked the talk for Madrid have kept quiet either on the pitch or after the game. Raul talked and did nothing, Van Der Vaart - did he even come on? Credit where its due and Robben was the only one i saw taking it to us after having a few words.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #336: Feb 26, 2009 05:51:16 am
      I was nervous, the Chelsea game was on in the morning instead of us vs Real, I've got no idea why.
      Only seen the highlights, Benayouns goal was terrible marking by them, but he stuck it away so fair play.
      I heard Riera can't play the second leg because he got a yellow card.
      I was looking at this site at school in Multimedia at about 9 in the morning, but it took ages to load on the school internet which is super slow, I could hardly see anything, only had time to load one page of this thread, but I knew we got the right result.
      We just gotta finish them off at Anfield now, and make sure we don't slip up in the Premier League, so we give ourselves every chance of winning it.
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #337: Feb 26, 2009 06:00:05 am
      Job well done by the guys - I expected to be at the edge of the seat for most part of the game - but we were in total control for the whole match.

Well in - YOSSI , but I'd like to say THANK YOU to my Man Of The Match - J.MASCH for being absolutely everywhere last night.

Let's finish them at Anfield boys! YNWA! IRWT!
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #338: Feb 26, 2009 06:02:20 am
      Well in lads they played really well last night, good structured defense Real had nothing to trouble our goal, I thought we could have been a bit more adventurous going forward but away from home in Europe and shutting them out like that was clinical. I hope this win will give us momentum going forward in the EPL and with Gerrard coming back the creativity going forward will be a lot better!!!!
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #339: Feb 26, 2009 06:59:18 am
      I've noticed how the players who talked the talk for Madrid have kept quiet either on the pitch or after the game. Raul talked and did nothing, Van Der Vaart - did he even come on? Credit where its due and Robben was the only one i saw taking it to us after having a few words.
      exactly! they all talked and did nothing. robben was probably the only one who gave us some trouble, but he couldn't do much alone.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #340: Feb 26, 2009 07:09:05 am
      It was one of those games that after 15 mins all the tension went away and you could see they were virtually a spent force. It was a perfectly executed plan. Once again I also applaud our fantastic supporters sing for Rafa throughout the game.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #341: Feb 26, 2009 07:13:49 am
      They were constantly on the attack, but never looked like scoring. We looked like scoring every time we went into their half, we attacked with more urgency and we seemed more up for it.
      Masch was MotM for me.
      He was solid in front of the back four, reducing Madrid to nothing but long shots.
      Only twice out of about 7 attempts did Robben get past him but then had to shoot from range.

Great result. Let's crush them at Anfield.
      kavish26
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #342: Feb 26, 2009 07:20:40 am
      Liverpool is the best team in the World! Torres is the best gaol scorer in the world and gerrard the best midfielder.

i swear that my team will always be liverpool even after my death!!!!!!!!!!
      « Last Edit: Feb 26, 2009 10:02:40 am by JD, Reason: Don\'t post in red. »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #343: Feb 26, 2009 07:21:36 am
      Well, I'm still on a high this morning  ;D     Even though I was nervous to begin with, the quality shone through and I thoroughly enjoyed the game.  Yossi was my man of the match even before he scored his goal.  Excellent performances by all the team, the only one not firing on all cylinders was Albert Riera, I'm kinda glad he's not playing in the second leg, I think he needs to recharge his batteries or at least fight for his place, he's not the same these last few games. 

Kudos to our away fans, I could hear them singing for most of the game, made up they were chanting Rafa's name  ;)  Looking forward to the next leg at Anfield were we can finish them off !!

The Reds Machine goes marching on... !!!!  :scarf:

YNWA ++  IRWT
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,726 posts | 3740 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #344: Feb 26, 2009 07:44:19 am
      Come on mighty reds. We were brilliant in every department. I won't add any more comments 'cos my thoughts are like many lfc fans.
      IRWT Champions

Quick Reply