Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Where do we need strengthening for a title challenge

Read 41989 times
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Re: Where do we need strengthening for a title challenge
      Reply #46: Mar 02, 2009 09:03:48 am
      I'm surprised this happened, in a season that we had our best start to.
      why surprised it's happened? That's the reason it, because we have blown the best possible chance of winning the EPL for the first time.
      Is it any wonder that the fans are pissed off?

Our fans have lacked belief cos, most of our players have no idea of the pride they should have in wearing the red shirt. They dont care about our history, and in turn dont play with the pride.

The season has gone begging and the fans have lost belief.

When the team go out each game and play like they want to win it, then maybe the fans will treat them like a winning team.
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #47: Mar 02, 2009 09:24:41 am
      I'm interested to see how summer transfers work out now that Rick Parry is going. Hopefully they will happen a lot quicker and Rafa will get his first choice option.

I too think we need a right winger, but realistically who is there we could get who has the pace, flair, and ability to whip in dangerous cross week in week out. I like Aarron Lennon, he's quick, but his crossing ultimately isn't fantastic - however i think he is a realistic target and perhaps the coaches at Liverpool can help him on his crosses and make him pretty dangerous. David Silva is also an option, albeit he is left footed but I swear he can play on the right, so him and Riera can switch. Other than that I'm having a mental blank at who there is we could get playing there worthy of wearing the Red Jersey. i'd like to hear some suggestions.

As well as this it is definitely clear we need a second striker capable of filling in for Torres AND working with him. Ryan Babel I do have high hopes for, but atm he's falling short of everyone's expectations and needs to up his game and we can't rely on him to find his form 3/4 way through the season when we needed it right from the off.  David Villa would not be filling in for anyone, he will be on the pitch week in week out, and would be quality with Torres as seen with Spain. For me, who we get in this position will only be known when we understand what sort of budget we will get in the summer.

For me those are the two positions we need to sort out, but we have to realise our budget this summer isn't going to be that fantastic, so will Rafa settle for a mediocre player or sell players for it as we know he does.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #48: Mar 02, 2009 09:35:34 am
      I'm interested to see how summer transfers work out now that Rick Parry is going. Hopefully they will happen a lot quicker and Rafa will get his first choice option.

I too think we need a right winger, but realistically who is there we could get who has the pace, flair, and ability to whip in dangerous cross week in week out. I like Aarron Lennon, he's quick, but his crossing ultimately isn't fantastic - however I think he is a realistic target and perhaps the coaches at Liverpool can help him on his crosses and make him pretty dangerous. David Silva is also an option, albeit he is left footed but I swear he can play on the right, so him and Riera can switch. Other than that I'm having a mental blank at who there is we could get playing there worthy of wearing the Red Jersey. I'd like to hear some suggestions.

As well as this it is definitely clear we need a second striker capable of filling in for Torres AND working with him. Ryan Babel I do have high hopes for, but atm he's falling short of everyone's expectations and needs to up his game and we can't rely on him to find his form 3/4 way through the season when we needed it right from the off.  David Villa would not be filling in for anyone, he will be on the pitch week in week out, and would be quality with Torres as seen with Spain. For me, who we get in this position will only be known when we understand what sort of budget we will get in the summer.

For me those are the two positions we need to sort out, but we have to realise our budget this summer isn't going to be that fantastic, so will Rafa settle for a mediocre player or sell players for it as we know he does.
      The game has changed so much that when we talk about bringing in players to use as 'cover' for the likes of Torres and Gerrard, why would a quality player want to come in and be just 'cover'.

That is what we need, quality. All you hear in the media, Chelsea and Utd for example, are stories of strikers wanting out because they aren't getting regular football, Tevez and Drogba in this instance.

Rafa has to buy wise but it wont be world class signings, we just cant afford world class. I'd be happ with quality players who want to be part of the team.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #49: Mar 02, 2009 09:45:22 am
      Ruthlessness in the market.

Get these lads out, either not good enough or want/need to leave.
      Babel
      Dossena
      Degen
      Agger
      N'gog (Loan)
      Voronin

INS:
      Affelay
      Downing
      Good striker with a great touch
      Cover right back

I think Affelay is essential for our side, someone who can pass, cross, create and score. Downing too, classy lad and will be good to get him on the cheap when Boro get relegated.

Didnt specify who should come in for RB and up front, only need a fit back up RB and someone who is comfortable on the ball up front. Would be a nice change from Babel/Kuyt/N'gog who have horrible first touches.

Unlike some, i dont think we need a world class striker, just a good one, maybe a poor man's Torres if thats fair to say. Whoever it is wont play over half the time so i dont see the point in spending over 8 million on them.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #50: Mar 02, 2009 09:49:54 am
      Considering we have blown the vast majority of our points at home I've got another suggestion of where we need strengthening.

45,000 of those real fans we used to have at Anfield.

The majority of our current home crowd are in my opinion, completely useless tw*ts.  I'm surprised when Lucas comes on the pitch he doesn't boo all the fans.  One of the players should come out and say something about it in my opinion.

So your blaming the fans at anfield for the players not winning games and doing their job? I understand that every supporter should be behind the team but everybody is different, they see things in different ways and they react in different ways. They obviously want to voice their opinion just like any other fan is allowed to. I am agreeing with you though. It seems to me that it is always the same people that come out and say something, Carra Gerrard & Reina.

Rafa needs to play more attacking when at home, not with 3 attacking midfielders but maybe 3 at the back and 2 upfront or 3 upfront. 1 upfront is not helping us, we need to buy strikers simple as. That is the main issue for me to be honest and maybe another right back.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #51: Mar 02, 2009 11:44:23 am
      What about adebayor as a striker, hear he will be going in the summer
      silva on our right wing, wouldnt mind downing on the left too
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #52: Mar 02, 2009 12:22:45 pm
      I know he'd be expensive, but I'd kill to see David Silva play for us.
      Great player, can play either on the left, in the hole and on the right. Can finish, has a great cross, dribbles well.

Benayoun-----Gerrard-----David Silva
      Behind Torres.

And a back up striker.

Couldn't agree with you more mate ! I think he's a superb player who can can give the team some creativity ,style , versatility , pace dribbling and crossing and he won be up his arse like riera .. + he's young and can really bring a great amount of energy !

Only prob is that barca are also interested !

Also for the fact that Valencia might  not get champions League next season and our Spanish contingent and European pedigree will definitely tempt him !
      « Last Edit: Mar 02, 2009 12:54:27 pm by niksluvslfc »
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #53: Mar 02, 2009 12:46:32 pm
      we need a £100 mil to make the squad remotely comparable. That means 4 or 5 top players not 8 or 9 mediocre ones. too many average players in our squad. 1st 11 is good enough if all are fit but when Stevie, Fernando Xabi or Mascherano are missing we struggle. Enough cover in defence for me so a good midfield who can cover for Gerrard and Xabi and wide players please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. not centre forwards who run a lot.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #54: Mar 02, 2009 01:09:53 pm
      I was disappointed when we didn't sign Rafinha last year, I think we can improve on Arbeloa, and as much as I like Arby if we're going to progress Rafa needs to be a little ruthless with current first teamers who just aren't improving the team.

As for the rest of the team, I think spending 20million or so on a really quality right winger would mean we reap the benefits next year. As much as we all admire Kuyt's non-stop work, having a constantly dangerous, quick and skilful right winger adds another attacking dimension to our team. Whether Rafa is willing to drop Kuyt for anyone is debatable.

Otherwise the team is decent, though perhaps we do need cover for Torres. But then are we really going to spend 10million or so on a player just to sit on the bench? Have a repeat of Keane and lose another few million when he gets annoyed and wants to leave 6 months down the line? I'm not sure, but I do hope we get a chance to see if Nemeth, Pacheco or any of the other younger guys waiting in the wings are ready to step up to the plate next year should they be called upon. Perhaps Rafa can give them some minutes near the end of the season if and when Manure are truly out of our reach.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #55: Mar 02, 2009 01:23:23 pm
      I would do this

Out

Babel - Due to his age and potential I think 14mill is around the price to sell
      Agger - Dont want this, but it will happen imo -> 12mill
      Voronin - 2mill
      Kuyt - Personally, I'm fed up now. Juve want him -> 17mill take him
      Degan - 1mill?

That leaves : 46million + Around 10mill we will get from the yanks at best. 56mill

_____

Ins

Higuain - 20mill (Him + Nando = Gold)
      Affelay - 12mill
      Downing - 11mill
      Konshesky - 6mill (great cover imo)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #56: Mar 02, 2009 01:35:47 pm
      I guess we need better wingers and another striker as cover.

Potential wingers - Ibrahim Affelay, Stewart Downing, Aaron Lennon, David Silva
          "        striker - Not sure about this, definitely not someone as good as Fernando or better. Someone that's a squad player.

No one from Italian League please, I'm yet to see a player from Italian league do well in the Premier League.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #57: Mar 02, 2009 04:05:28 pm
      Shut up.

If that's all you're going to contribute, leave now before you embarrass yourself you knee-jerker.

I don't necessarily agree with the poster that you are attacking, but why do you call him a knee-jerker? for all you know he may have disliked Rafa right from the start of his tenure.

Also, what is the point of a "discussion" forum if only a very limited range of opinions is tolerated?

Just because YOU don't agree with something doesn't mean the other person loses the right to his opinion.

Don't forget ... an OPINION can never be wrong ... you either agree or disagree.

OK man......Peace!
      « Last Edit: Mar 02, 2009 04:09:12 pm by Reslivo, Reason: Please use caps to start your sentences. »
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #58: Mar 02, 2009 04:15:28 pm
      I don't necessarily agree with the poster that you are attacking, but why do you call him a knee-jerker? for all you know he may have disliked Rafa right from the start of his tenure.

Also, what is the point of a "discussion" forum if only a very limited range of opinions is tolerated?

Just because YOU don't agree with something doesn't mean the other person loses the right to his opinion.

Don't forget ... an OPINION can never be wrong ... you either agree or disagree.

OK man......Peace!

My attack was fully justified, however, I am not proud of it.

It has been pissing me off recently that people join this forum solely to slag Rafa off or slag the team off and write off the league - and they ONLY do this after games we've dropped points. Hence, "knee-jerker".

Please keep in mind that I never said his opinion was wrong, and that I never implied that he should lose his right to an opinion, I just politely suggested he should be quiet if that's all he's going to say ::).

Going by what you're saying, you shouldn't be criticising my opinion, yet you do anyway. But that's neither here nor there.

As we're going completely off-topic here, I'll pull us back on track.

We don't need a new manager, unlike some people suggest - we need more strength-in-depth, so perhaps a backup RB for Arby would suffice as well as an additional striker and a right-winger.
      « Last Edit: Mar 02, 2009 06:19:56 pm by Reslivo »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #59: Mar 02, 2009 05:53:08 pm
      Out:

Dossena
      Lucas
      Babel

In:

K.Jones
      A.Lennon/Downing
      G.Johnson/Marcelo
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #60: Mar 02, 2009 07:48:14 pm
      i think we are missing quiet a few players, our spine is  premiership winning quality, Reina, Carragher, Skertel, Agger, Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard and Torres are as good as you would get anywhere. Its the rest where we struggle. I think we need a top class attacking right back someone like Micon of Inter, I think If we'd money he would be sensational for us, we may need a left back but I'd like to see Insua given a chance, Right midfield has to be a proity this year, someone like Lennon, Ribery is my dream but aint going to happen if we've the American owners, someone with pace and quality to take on a full back would do, I'm starting to think maybe a left side midfielder as well I'm not convinced by Reira, I would love someone like Silva if Valencia don't get Champions league they are in big financial trouble. I think a striker is a priority as well, i would love someone like Villa or Aguero or Benzema or Pato but I'm a realist I know its not going to happen. I'd settle for someone that can at least shoulder the burden with Torres.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #61: Mar 02, 2009 07:54:46 pm
      i think we are missing quiet a few players, our spine is  premiership winning quality, Reina, Carragher, Skertel, Agger, Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard and Torres are as good as you would get anywhere. Its the rest where we struggle. I think we need a top class attacking right back someone like Micon of Inter, I think If we'd money he would be sensational for us, we may need a left back but I'd like to see Insua given a chance, Right midfield has to be a proity this year, someone like Lennon, Ribery is my dream but aint going to happen if we've the American owners, someone with pace and quality to take on a full back would do, I'm starting to think maybe a left side midfielder as well I'm not convinced by Reira, I would love someone like Silva if Valencia don't get Champions league they are in big financial trouble. I think a striker is a priority as well, i would love someone like Villa or Aguero or Benzema or Pato but I'm a realist I know its not going to happen. I'd settle for someone that can at least shoulder the burden with Torres.

Reading through the players you mention and the positions you say need strengthening, it's interesting to note that Rafa tried to sign Alves for RB a couple of years back, and wanted to sign Villa before the Euro 2008 tournament, both deals bungled by Parry.

Then people say Rafa doesn't know what he's doing in the transfer market - we could have had these players on the cheap compared to their current value.  :mad:

Even based on his limited budget he was trying to strengthen the right areas. Yes, there were still going to be holes, but he was doing what he could, little by little.

Let's hope that with Parry's imminent departure, Rafa is able to strengthen the areas of the squad he deems to be the weakest this summer.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #62: Mar 02, 2009 08:02:26 pm
      We would have signed Dani Alves a couple of years ago if Parry had agreed to pay an extra million taking it to twelve million, he would have being a relevation and look what he went to Barc for, 30million.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #63: Mar 02, 2009 08:05:47 pm
      Anyone else agree on Higuain being the way forward?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #64: Mar 02, 2009 08:10:30 pm
      He has done well for Madrid in the last couple of months, actually his worst game was against us, he is young and highly rated in Argentina and Spain the only thing is his asking price would be high.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #65: Mar 02, 2009 08:13:13 pm
      He has done well for Madrid in the last couple of months, actually his worst game was against us, he is young and highly rated in Argentina and Spain the only thing is his asking price would be high.

20mill mark should do it
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #66: Mar 02, 2009 08:15:31 pm
      We dont need much. Great keeper solid back 4, strong midfield and the best striker in the game. What id like to see come in is a genuine finisher as cover for Torres and 2 wingers. Amrabat and Affelay from P.S.V look like class acts
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #67: Mar 02, 2009 08:16:52 pm
      Probably would and surely the Keane money is still there, he is a much better than Keane and only 21 if I'm not mistaking, he is a clever player that would be a perfect foil for Torres.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #68: Mar 02, 2009 08:22:20 pm
      I would do this

Out

Babel - Due to his age and potential I think 14mill is around the price to sell
      Agger - Dont want this, but it will happen imo -> 12mill
      Voronin - 2mill
      Kuyt - Personally, I'm fed up now. Juve want him -> 17mill take him
      Degan - 1mill?

That leaves : 46million + Around 10mill we will get from the yanks at best. 56mill

_____

Ins

Higuain - 20mill (Him + Nando = Gold)
      Affelay - 12mill
      Downing - 11mill
      Konshesky - 6mill (great cover imo)

mmm . . . . wouldn't sell Kuyt for anything. Hr's a striker turned winger that works tirelessly. With JC, Dirk is by far our most consistent player this season.

Rafa should go and bid for Joe Cole in the summer, if he buys only 1 player.

I agree with most posts in that we need at least one more top world class striker, but fletch_rox has hit the nail right on the head.

It does not matter who we buy if Benitez continues to deploy the tactics in the same old same old way. Chelsea were struggling, and since they are finally realising they need to play Anelka AND Drogba together they have started to look more dangerous. Previously they were playing the loan striker up front, and struggling.
      Man Utd have Rooney, Ronaldo, Berbatov and Tevez, and play at least 3 of them more often than not.
      The fact is you need goals, and it doesnt matter who we buy if Benitez refuses to play another top striker alongside Torres.
      It happened with Crouch, and now its happened with Keane, the mentality that there is only ONE spot for a striker means that the incoming player, whoever it is, will become frustrated through lack of match time, and either lose form or lose interest.
      The strengthening of the squad is only one part of the answer. Unless Benitez changes his approach it wont make one iota of difference. We shall be having the same threads and the same debates this time next season.

.... and you have banged that nail in even harder !

My attack was fully justified, however, I am not proud of it.

It has been pissing me off recently that people join this forum solely to slag Rafa off or slag the team off and write off the league - and they ONLY do this after games we've dropped points. Hence, "knee-jerker".

Please keep in mind that I never said his opinion was wrong, and that I never implied that he should lose his right to an opinion, I just politely suggested he should be quiet if that's all he's going to say ::).

Going by what you're saying, you shouldn't be criticising my opinion, yet you do anyway. But that's neither here nor there.

As we're going completely off-topic here, I'll pull us back on track.

We don't need a new manager, unlike some people suggest - we need more strength-in-depth, so perhaps a backup RB for Arby would suffice as well as an additional striker and a right-winger.
      How can you call this guy a 'knee-jerker'? He's hardly making a comment that isn't justified is he? It's not like we have only just dropped points or haven't you noticed that we have drawn 8 and lost 2? I make that 22 points. Some 'knee-jerker !
      « Last Edit: Mar 02, 2009 09:02:34 pm by Reslivo, Reason: Please use the modify button instead of triple-posting. »

Quick Reply