Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Fields of Anfield Road - let's get it to Number 1

Read 1859 times
      shanklys best
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 16 posts |
      Fields of Anfield Road - let's get it to Number 1
      Mar 11, 2009 03:45:22 pm
      A mate in Liverpool text me yesterday saying that band members from The Farm, The La's and Echo And The Bunnymen were covering The Fields Of Anfield Road on a single.

It will be released on March 26th and they hope to have it to Number 1 for the 15th April. I have had a look around TIA and cant see this posted anywhere else.

So, get ya mates, yourselves and ya family to download it. I believe that all proceeds will go to HFSG but this is not confirmed.

Have any of you heard about this already.??

Please pass it on...........

YNWA 96
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2009 03:50:34 pm by JD, Reason: New Topic created »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: Fields of Anfield Road - let's get it to Number 1
      Reply #1: Mar 11, 2009 04:18:39 pm
      Cheers for the heads up. 

shanklysbest has just alerted me to this from the Echo

Legends Bid for Hillsborough Anniversary Number 1
      Liverpool Echo 02 March 2009

Liverpool hopes to land a number one hit single to mark the 20th anniversary of Hillsborough.

Former Reds players and music stars are launching a bid to top the charts on April 15.

Famous faces and Hillsborough families have recorded a version of classic Kop anthem Fields of Anfield Road.

Liverpool legends including John Aldridge, Kenny Dalglish, Bruce Grobbelaar, Alan Kennedy, Howard Gayle and Phil Thompson feature on the record.

Ex La's and Cast singer John Power provided the lead vocal for the track which was recorded at the city’s Elevator studio, in Cheapside.

Fomer Farm frontman Peter Hooton has composed a new poignant fourth verse for the much-loved anthem.

Part of it goes: "...I hear the Kopite mourning. Why so many taken on that day. Justice has never been done, But the memories will carry on."

The Picket's Phil Hayes, who lost a cousin at Hillsborough, was project manager for the recording and worked alongside Kevin McManus from creative company Merseyside ACME.

Scouser Ken Nelson, who produced Coldplay's hit albums, is involved in the project.

Also featured on the record is a member of Echo & The Bunnyman and Gary Daly and Eddie Lundon from pop act China Crisis.

Liverpool Mayor Cllr Steve Rotheram, who went to the ill-fated FA Cup semi-final clash against Nottingham Forest, said: "Our ambition is to get to the top of the charts to commemorate the loss of 96 lives.

"It's about telling a story of how these people went out to watch a football match and never came home.

"It's a contemporary version, a bit faster than the original so people can sing along to it.

"It was an emotional experience recording the song in the studio. There were a lot of people crying.

"We hope everyone in Merseyside will get behind it, Red and Blue."

Phil Hayes, from The Picket, said: "It's a joyous song and it was brilliant to get everybody there and even some of the families."

The single will be available to download and could be sold in music stores.

The owner of the copyright to both Fields of Anfield Road and the original Irish classic Fields of Athan Rye both waived a fee for the Liverpool single.

And the cost of hiring out the studio was met by the Lord Mayor’s charity.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Re: Fields of Anfield Road - let's get it to Number 1
      Reply #2: Mar 11, 2009 04:48:33 pm
      Great idea, cant wait to hear it. Im sure everyone will get behind this. Going to be emotional. I was at both Hillsboro games against Forest and had to climb out of that Leppings Lane the year before the tragedy because it was way too crowded
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2009 06:31:13 pm by CRK »

Quick Reply