Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Ferguson - All time great?

Read 8116 times
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Ferguson - All time great?
      Mar 11, 2009 07:30:43 pm
      I wrote this article back in May 2008, shortly after United won the Champions League because people were touting Ferguson as the best manager of all time. Just thought it would be good timing to post it up here with our little scrap coming up at the weekend. I do hope you enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------

There's this common myth knocking about, which has been for some years now, that Alex Ferguson (he's not getting a Sir off me!) is the greatest football manager ever! Fair do's, the fella has won a fair bit, including the Premiership 10 times and the European Cup twice! He is decorated, I do know this!

We have had a few managers who we think that would challenge this title that people in the media so often love to lay upon Ferguson.

First up, we can compare directly to our previous managers! The men who command tears to grown men's eyes with the very thoughts of our yesteryear's! The Greats, Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley!

First of all we've the great man from Glenbuck!  Here we have a man who took over a struggling Second Division side with mediocre training facilities and a stadium that was pretty much a shambles.  Shankly was brought in in 1959. This was a time when football was football, and that was it. You trained all week by playing regular games and then try and do the same on a matchday! What Shankly did was bring in 5 a side matches to increase passing skill, incorporate dietary elements so that our footballers were healthier and more readily equipped for the game. There was also the notion of a target wall, with 8 blocks painted on! Shankly demanded that his players be able to hit any box when commanded to!

Players would meet at Anfield, and be bussed together to Melwood for training! Afterwards they'd be shipped back to Anfield to shower and eat a meal together, ensuring Shankly knew how his players were warming down and eating after sessions, whilst instilling a camaraderie between the squad! With Shankly building in the background, we eventually returned to the First Division in the 1961/1962 season! The 60's proved to be a good time for Liverpool! In 1963/1964, we claimed our 6th league title! Snatched from the Champions Everton! A sign of things to come I do believe!

In '65, we all know of the Inter semi final! An unknown side from England had shocked the Italian giants away from home! It was basically our announcement that we had arrived on the scene and we were taking no sh*t! The working class ethic instilled by Shankly for the working class people of our great city was a joy to watch. Football that was skillful, thorough and efficient. Shankly had built up a club from nothing. From the training ground up, Shankly had created a Superpower. Yet this was only the start! The 70's saw Heighway, Keegan and Clemence arrive, along with our first European silverware in 1973, in the form of the UEFA Cup! while securing our 8th league title in the same year! 

The difference between Shankly and Ferguson is simple! Ferguson took over a United side that was established in the top flight. They were basically Chelsea before Abramovich came in, just coasting finishing mid table regularly. Yet Ferguson took them a step backwards when he arrived, finishing 11th, 2nd (9 points behind us!), 11th and then 13th!  Surely if that happens these days, finishing 2nd and then 11th, there would be a severe inquest into what's going on!

Shankly started, in modern day comparison, in the Championship, bottom half. And then brought this team up within two years and then guided us to winning leagues! Just think of what Sam Allardyce did, but then Bolton going on to win the league and the UEFA Cup!

In July 1974, Shankly faced the Liverpool board to announce his retirement! The city mourned and even local factories threatened strikes unless Shankly was reinstated! Yet Shankly had left behind Joe Fagan, Roy Evans and my next subject. Bob Paisley.

The sad thing, in Paisley's first seasons, Shankly was ever present and didn't really allow him to settle into the job! The players felt that Shankly was still the boss and Paisley was simply an understudy. This theory was to be tested!

Paisley finished 2nd in his first season. This was a disappointment to him and he built on what he had achieved! For the 9 years that Paisley was at the helm, we won at least one trophy in 8 of those years!  And of course, he led us to our first 3 European Cups!

Now the very fact is that Sir Bob won 19 trophies as Liverpool manager! Ferguson overtook this record, which he no doubt raised a glass of whisky, scotch or whatever else he could find in celebration of breaking a Liverpool record!

But Ferguson has been at United for 22 years this season, and is now embarking on his 23rd season in charge! That's some feat, yet if Paisley had continued his remarkable managerial career for the same amount of time then who knows how many trophies he would have won? Law of averages, if we double his years to 18 then we double his titles to 38?  There could have been more!

The very fact that Ferguson has won the European Cup twice (1999 and 2008) means he has took 9 years to win two when Paisley had won three! There's a record he isn't going to break!  Don't even start me on the knighthood argument!

But I'll end on the fact that we currently have a manager with a better record than Alex Ferguson in his first few years, who has already won us our 5th European Cup, took us to only our second losing European Cup Final and our 7th FA Cup. He has set up a team which is the highest scoring in the league and has the three time winner or the Golden Gloves (in his 3rd season) between the sticks.
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2009 07:31:20 pm by ayrton77, Reason: Whos Ferguon? ;) »
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Re: Ferguson - All time great?
      Reply #1: Mar 11, 2009 08:23:21 pm
      a Excellent Post CRK , well put , but what's with this Knighthood. :f_whistle:    ;)
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2009 08:35:19 pm by gareth g »
      red79
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #2: Mar 11, 2009 08:31:13 pm
      Cracking stuff, Ferguson, has done well but circumstances are very different, i.e. he's been there for a quarter of a century. You've highlighted some very good points of where we were when Bill took charge and where he took us, Bob's european achievements and Rafa's great start, it's clear to me that we have more than one all time great, but it doesn't get recognised anywhere else which is a shame, Ferguson wins a European Cup for the first time and gets a knighthood, Bob does it 3 times and doesn't, it's an absolute disgrace!
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #3: Mar 11, 2009 08:39:20 pm
      Great post. Shame if you show this to any Mancs, their inferior brains won't understand.

I do however believe that you used the ! too much :P.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Mar 11, 2009 09:25:58 pm
      All time great? No

All time alcoholic, self obsessed b***ard? Yes ;)

*Great post by the way CRK*
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #5: Mar 11, 2009 09:38:46 pm
      Nice wee article there, enjoyed reading that!
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #6: Mar 12, 2009 12:03:30 am
      Funny old game isnt it? wonder where hed be if he never won that F.A cup in 1991. They were about to sack him!!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #7: Mar 12, 2009 12:16:57 am
      Top post CRK mate well said!
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #8: Mar 12, 2009 01:20:10 am
      NO-ALL TIME tw*t.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #9: Mar 12, 2009 01:52:37 am
      Ferguson all time great? Yes, plain and simple.

Ferguson greatest of all time? Not in my opinion no.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #10: Mar 12, 2009 04:31:12 am
      bah...all time great. no way!
      biggest asshole of all time. yes!
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #11: Mar 12, 2009 06:30:05 am
      Great post CRK, really enjoyed reading that
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #12: Mar 12, 2009 06:49:01 am

The post says it all.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #13: Mar 12, 2009 08:04:27 am
      Funny old game isnt it? wonder where hed be if he never won that F.A cup in 1991. They were about to sack him!!
      You are so correct,Ferguson was so close to getting the boot.One thing is certain United will not have the continuity that we had at Anfield.Shanks,Paisley,Fagan and Dalglish.I recall when Matt Busby retired they went through a few managers and failed hopelessly.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #14: Mar 12, 2009 09:10:07 am

This just about sums up Ferguson to me.  You'd need to have your red-tinted glasses on not to admit that he is an all-time great.  Although he doesn't have the grace or humility to be the greatest of all time, unlike Shanks and Paisley.

I hate Ferguson with a passion, but 10 League titles and 2 European Cups automatically make you an all-time great  :f_wah:
      MsGerrard
      Reply #15: Mar 12, 2009 09:37:26 am
      Excellent post Joey + for you.

Ferguson is a very good manager, you can't deny that, I just wish he wasn't so bleeding arrogant and pig headed and I hate the way he chews  :mad:

But I'm sorry he'll NEVER top Bob Paisley, not in a million years.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #16: Mar 12, 2009 09:40:43 am
      Without question Ferguson has a great record at United.

But he has benefitted from stability, support from the board, the ability to buy any player he wants and avoiding the sack after a miserable opening 5 years even when many of the United fans were calling for his head.

I doubt he will ever be held in as high regard as some of the managers of yesteryear however because of his other personal traits which have tainted the game of football.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #17: Mar 12, 2009 12:59:57 pm
      Ye cant detract from what hes done he is a great manager. But hes there now 23 years. Bob done all his work in 9!! No comparison Bob is the greatest ever and a much nicer man too
      beerdog
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -3 
      Reply #18: Mar 12, 2009 03:21:18 pm
      of course he's an all time great. he's won 10 premiership titles and 2 european cups for fks sake. you can't argue with that record unless your mentally retarted. i admire the pr**k because he always sends the scum out with an attitude that they can beat anyone. he fears no opposition and that mentality is fed through to the whole of his team..
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #19: Mar 12, 2009 03:39:25 pm
      Don't Lose any Sleep over the lack of a knighthood for Bob Paisley CRK !  the guy worked wonders for L.F.C and has the respect of every true red fan and non Mancs.
      It's been proven these days that you can buy honours so I wouldn't even have put that beyond Scumchester and Slur Alex.
      Just because you have a title doesn't mean you have respect !
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #20: Mar 12, 2009 05:35:00 pm
      You are so correct,Ferguson was so close to getting the boot.One thing is certain United will not have the continuity that we had at Anfield.Shanks,Paisley,Fagan and Dalglish.I recall when Matt Busby retired they went through a few managers and failed hopelessly.
      Im dying to see what becomes of the untouchable Utd when Ferguson goes, Another 27 years without the title will do nicely.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #21: Mar 12, 2009 08:04:42 pm
      Of course he's one of the time greats!  i can't stand United and don't like Ferguson, and simply having lots of money doesn't get success.  he has built over time several great sides and puts together a good footballing team. 

also remember what he did at Aberdeen!!!  he managed to break the stranglehold of Rangers and Celtic and won the UEFA Cup.  you have to know something to achieve that.  to say it he's not a great is just bollocks and is just us Liverpool supporters desperately not wanting to acknowledge the reality of the past 20 years.

if a manager had achieved exactly the same success at Anfield, we would hale him, quite rghtly as a god and living legend.

In summary: one of the all time greats - Yes!
      Great Man: No!!!

Bob Paisley was both of the above and he is still the greatest. 
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #22: Mar 12, 2009 09:17:39 pm
      Cheers for your comments everyone!

Much as I hate him and United, I do think he is one of the greats. As JD said, he has benefited from the stability of a club and it reaps the benefits after a while. Something which our very own Rafa would benefit from too.

I do still think the acheivements our previous managers have put in our history books are the bigger of the two clubs however!

P.S I did use the exclamation mark too much! Something which has left my writing since back then!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honest! ;)
      kopthelot1
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #23: Mar 12, 2009 09:22:53 pm
      who gives a sh*t about ferguson being this or that..bob paisley was the man
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Reply #24: Mar 12, 2009 09:23:36 pm
      He's a great manager. There's no doubt about that.

But he is an arrogant b***ard. He doesn't show others the respect they deserve. He twists the FA's arm on way too many occassions so he'll never get my respect and he'll never go anywhere near Paisley's level.

He's a great but he's a c**t.
      beerdog
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -3 
      Reply #25: Mar 12, 2009 11:16:22 pm
      has there ever been a great in any sport who deep down wasn't an arrogant c**t?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      Reply #26: Mar 12, 2009 11:19:48 pm
      has there ever been a great in any sport who deep down wasn't an arrogant c**t?

Id throw 2 names in straight away

Paisley and Dalglish
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #27: Mar 13, 2009 03:15:57 am

Yeah and i've hated Mark Robins ever since!!! ;)

Ferguson has been successful no doubt about it but he's been there for almost a quarter of a century and he's a tw*t.

Bob Paisley gave us less than a decade but it was a golden one and he was a true gent in every sense.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #28: Mar 13, 2009 07:19:44 am
      A good article and but for two people who you pointed out Ferguson would have walked it but no way does he ever get near Shanks & Sir Bob, if he stays till he is ninety his first 7 years will always count against him. Well written CRK........
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #29: Mar 13, 2009 12:36:34 pm
      There is something Sir F**k nose achieved that Bob couldn't didn't he get manUre relegated to the old second division for at least one season?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,452 posts | 8658 
      Reply #30: Mar 13, 2009 01:07:53 pm
      There is something Sir F**k nose achieved that Bob couldn't didn't he get manUre relegated to the old second division for at least one season?

You mean Sir Matt Busby?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #31: Mar 13, 2009 03:32:09 pm
      I thought that was Ferguson who got the sh*te relegated
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #32: Mar 13, 2009 03:33:37 pm
      Fergie : All-Time biggest red nose this side of the North Pole!

stevief
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #33: Mar 13, 2009 04:07:17 pm
      he is a very good manager but not in my veiw an all time great in the mold of shankly ,stein or busby even (ex red we can respect  him ) he was fortuitous in the timing of his tenure at the scum with boom time in english football and the lull in our own fortunes ,for me buying up all the best younsters and regularly spending 20 - 30mill does not make an all time great
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #34: Mar 13, 2009 04:26:11 pm
      You make a very relevant point well in,if I could add the name Paisley to your all time great managers(an oversight on your part I'm sure ) the list is complete.
      « Last Edit: Mar 15, 2009 11:27:00 am by stuey »
      stevief
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #35: Mar 13, 2009 04:48:37 pm
      of course paisley  i see him  as the sharpest mind the game has seen untill rafa, joe fagan's in with a shout there too
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #36: Mar 13, 2009 05:38:57 pm
      Yeah and I've hated Mark Robins ever since!!! ;)

Ferguson has been successful no doubt about it but he's been there for almost a quarter of a century and he's a tw*t.

Bob Paisley gave us less than a decade but it was a golden one and he was a true gent in every sense.

I think it was another Utd legend.......!!! Lee Martin who got the winner Ithink :f_tongueincheek:
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #37: Mar 13, 2009 05:41:38 pm
      Anyway F*** Off Ferguson U C***! ;D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #38: Mar 14, 2009 03:51:49 pm
      He's an even bigger c**t today    :kop5cf8koxp6: :action-smiley-055:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      Reply #39: Mar 14, 2009 03:53:58 pm
      Sore loser thats for sure
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #40: Mar 14, 2009 04:06:05 pm
      F***ing sh*t! all time great, my asS!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #41: Mar 14, 2009 04:06:55 pm
      I'm liking the timing of this thread even more now! ;D
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #42: Mar 14, 2009 04:44:12 pm
      I think I can sit at United's comfy chair there like Alex, get my face puffy red by chewing gum and fielding the likes of Rooney Tevez and Berbatov. I'll still win. Easiest job in the world i reckon. Only Rafa is able to F**k him inside out!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #43: Mar 14, 2009 11:53:04 pm
      Had a look at the manUre website they're blaming everyone from purple nose himself to Andy Gray who they reckon is pro LFC  the lunatic element is plain to see and the writing is on the wall I can see the "all time great" being fu**ed off in the not to distant future.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #44: Mar 15, 2009 12:18:16 am
      over rated and obnoxious
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #45: Mar 15, 2009 12:22:16 am
      Alex Ferguson has reacted to the loss be signing several bottles of whisky from the bottle shop for an undisclosed fee.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #46: Mar 15, 2009 12:25:29 am
      Of course Ferguson is all time great; at talking ass or better yet, the things that come from ass. But let's not be so generous, let's highlight the fact, that most of his comments could easily fit in the knee jerk thread without debate.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #47: Mar 15, 2009 03:47:06 am
      bloody ass. got thrashed 4-1 and still says that manure were the better team.  ::)  >:(
      stevief
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #48: Mar 15, 2009 04:26:36 am
      Lmao at fergie another reason he'll never be seen a one of the greats ,no class
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #49: Mar 15, 2009 08:46:01 am
      Cant imagine how the whiskey is flowing this weekend for ol' rednose
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #50: Mar 15, 2009 09:18:38 am
      I think I could better Fergie's record in management when i play rooney tevez berbatov ronaldo. I'll just have a sit on OT's comfy chair and its always 5-0, 5-0, 5-0. He just lost what management is all about. Our rafa works so hard, he'll just sit and expect the lads to do the job. Arrogant c**t.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #51: Mar 15, 2009 03:17:25 pm
      When you folow up the knighthood thing, First busby, done next to F**k all, then charlton, done absolutely F**k all but introduce a new hairstyle, the combe over. ( actually looked better on Rab C. Nesbitt.) Then fergusson, less achievments than Shanks who built from nothing, and less trophies over the same period than Bob Paisley, It's a political thing, totally discredits and devalues Nighthoods in my opinion. Oh, and see my contempt for them, sir? can't even bring myself to spell their name with a capitol letter. I'm sure there's a valid reason why manc rymes with w*nk.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #52: Mar 15, 2009 03:22:20 pm
      A True all time great would be able to admit his team got their arses kicked, When He shows his face we'll see! Shitbag!!
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #53: Mar 15, 2009 04:38:47 pm
      When you measure the great managers in England you start at the top of the Euro tree, and you can then measure your team and how well they do against the best in world football.

And although the bread and butter of clubs will always be the league it's been tainted in the modern era with cash, if you put in enough cash and buy the right manager you can win it in two seasons, not so in Europe there are enough clubs there with  the best players from all over the world.

Europe is the place that Ferguson's dreams have really come of the rails and although he has won it twice the first was the luckiest of wins I have ever witnessed in a European Final, the second was against Chelsea and so it was a team he new inside-out and I think it went to pens.

The fact is until around 2005/6 did Ferguson start getting to grips with the best and by then he had been in his job 20/21 years, enough time for your kid to grow up and become a manager himself.

I know I am bias but by my reckoning in Scotland he comes no higher than third and 4th in England and in Europe he is way behind. So Ferguson go to the back of the line and hope you get reincarnated so you can try again.

Just an afterthought their are both Joe and Kenny that because of Belgium never got their chance to show their talents on the biggest stage...................
      King Cantona
      • Likes to finish every post with multiple full stops.
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #54: Mar 15, 2009 06:28:31 pm
      Great post. Shame if you show this to any Mancs, their inferior brains won't understand.

I do however believe that you used the ! too much :P.

Thanks for that assessment of my 'inferior' brain Eem, no doubt you didn't notice with you 'superior' brain that this article was slanted very heavily in Liverpool's favour, this passage made me chuckle.

"Yet Ferguson took them a step backwards when he arrived, finishing 11th, 2nd (9 points behind us!), 11th and then 13th!  Surely if that happens these days, finishing 2nd and then 11th, there would be a severe inquest into what's going on!"

This seems to be almost an endorsement of the loony impatience being shown by most chairmen today, that our club did have the patience to stick with the same manager and are now reaping the rewards seems to be greeted with scorn...

As far as the stadium being pretty much a shambles I only have this to say, Old Trafford as I'm sure many posters know is built right next to Trafford Park which is an industrial estate. Old Trafford was a lot worse than a shambles (having been bombed to bejaysus by the luftwaffe) when Sir Matt Busby took over, we were first to play in Europe, first English team to win the European Cup and are right now World Champions....

I have no complaints about really great managers like Bob Paisley and Bill Shankly being revered by Liverpool fans but just don't try to tell me that Fergie wasn't great for United because that would just be sour grapes...
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #55: Mar 15, 2009 06:33:25 pm
      "Yet Ferguson took them a step backwards when he arrived, finishing 11th, 2nd (9 points behind us!), 11th and then 13th!  Surely if that happens these days, finishing 2nd and then 11th, there would be a severe inquest into what's going on!"

This seems to be almost an endorsement of the loony impatience being shown by most chairmen today, that our club did have the patience to stick with the same manager and are now reaping the rewards seems to be greeted with scorn...

To be fair to CRK, I do think his point is a fair one.

He doesn't endorse the practice of booting out the manager if he has a bad season or string of results, he simply states that this is the way most clubs operate today.

United are indeed reaping the benefits of their trust in one man to do the right job, the very same struggle many fans of Benitez are going through currently!
      red kop
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 179 posts | -8 
      Reply #56: Mar 15, 2009 06:36:45 pm
       ;DWhat the scum gonna do when purple nose retires ?
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #57: Mar 15, 2009 06:58:57 pm
      A great manager would be gracious in defeat , Fergie ? can't even spell the word ! thinks THEY were the better team, me thinks he's been on the old vino Callapso before  The K.O. ! :f_tongueincheek:
      King Cantona
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #58: Mar 15, 2009 08:00:56 pm
      A great manager would be gracious in defeat , Fergie ? can't even spell the word ! thinks THEY were the better team, me thinks he's been on the old vino Callapso before  The K.O. ! :f_tongueincheek:

Well I've got to agree that that statement took me by surprise, it was a bad day at the office and that's all it was, just see how we come back even stronger...
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #59: Mar 15, 2009 08:10:13 pm
      If only he had simple mannerisms I may just have the slightest amount of respect for him. Because I have none. Zilch.
      King Cantona
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #60: Mar 15, 2009 08:39:57 pm
      If only he had simple mannerisms I may just have the slightest amount of respect for him. Because I have none. Zilch.

But he speaks so highly of you Ross.......;)........
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #61: Mar 16, 2009 12:39:54 pm
      Mr C, All I can think to say is the Utd sites must be really entertaning for You as YOU are always on here!! ;)
      bigbaz
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 389 posts |
      • A Proud Irish Scouser
      Reply #62: Mar 16, 2009 05:09:54 pm
      Im dying to see what becomes of the untouchable Utd when Ferguson goes, Another 27 years without the title will do nicely.

That would be just brill.

Quick Reply