Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Old Anfield

Read 32593 times
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Re: Old Anfield
      Reply #46: Jun 18, 2009 03:54:10 pm
      We'll never get back the good old days on the Kop no matter what the new stadium brings. Did you know that Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan built the Home dug out in the early 60's now that is hands on management. I used to stand in line with the 18 yard box line near the main stand side about 30 rows up. We had no qualms about getting there early for the big matches and would look forward to queuing up for the gates to open,greeting any glimpse of a player with a cheer Innocent days never to be repeated.That's not to say it was better than now but just different.

Great times, I can already feel the emotion within me to be honest. I been to 2 games in my life so far, a Brazil-Singapore exhibition and a Vietnam-Singapore AFF cup semifinal. The games start at 8pm but by 5pm I will be already at the stadium, then there'll be bag checks then its free seating. Toilets stink, you're crammed as sh*t but the emotion within the crowd itself is fantastic.. I remember the semifinal, everyone inside cheering on Singapore and there was a mexican wave all around.. The banging on of the footsteps.. and then it approaches you, you jump and its a magical moment to be involved..

The stadium has been there since the 70s but its still the same, nothing on the stands have changed. Except with probably the exception of the track and the field. I have a couple of videos with me now but I'm sure no one is interested.. they're not from Anfield and the atmosphere is very different..

My 3rd game coming up on July 26th, exhibition betwenn Liverpool and Singapore and if im not wrong YNWA will be played over the PA system.. I look forward to that magical day when I experience another atmosphere like this.. especially a Liverpool one.. Will post my pics on the forum when I get back from the game itself.. hopefully on the match thread.

Sorry to go off topic mods, just thought I share my experience or two of going to a football match.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #47: Jun 18, 2009 04:58:20 pm
      I hope you enjoy yourself when YNWA plays just close your eyes and pretend your are in the KOP way back in the 60's I'll bet you get a tear in your eyes.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #48: Jun 18, 2009 08:36:41 pm
      Memories can be deceiving cant they. Just looking through Liverpool in Europe and crowds varied from 20,000 to 40,000 generally. Only in the later stages did we have full houses. How many thought as I did that we were always sold out. I went to most of them so I should have known better.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #49: Jun 18, 2009 08:53:12 pm
      Memories can be deceiving cant they. Just looking through Liverpool in Europe and crowds varied from 20,000 to 40,000 generally. Only in the later stages did we have full houses. How many thought as I did that we were always sold out. I went to most of them so I should have known better.

I think it's because we made a lot more noise in those days johnstop, the grounds always seemed full and as it was standing room only it seemed pretty full.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #50: Jun 18, 2009 09:12:05 pm
      Their is nothing like the 1900-1930's stadium construction and grounds. No matter what sport it was. Football,Cricket, Baseball and American Football. A lot of the early Baseball Parks in the US were designed after Football Grounds in the UK.  And I believe their was an English Football club that played at the "Baseball Grounds" which was designed after an American Baseball stadium. I just dont remember which club that was.

Its sad that so much of the old architecture and designs were done away with during the 20th Century and replaced with cement and steel.
      It just takes all the glamour and history from the game.   

In the US their are only 2 remaining 1900's Baseball Parks left.  They just tore down Yankee Stadium which was the 3rd stadium left. It was a sad day seeing that stadium go. All the history and feel can never be duplicated.  The current trend in the US is turn of the century design and style with 21st century amenities. I hope the new Anfield follows that trend and keeps it nostalgic and warm and not sanitary and cold.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #51: Jun 18, 2009 09:14:47 pm
        And I believe their was an English Football club that played at the "Baseball Grounds" which was designed after an American Baseball stadium. I just dont remember which club that was.

It was Derby County.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #52: Jun 18, 2009 11:01:58 pm
      Its sad that so much of the old architecture and designs were done away with during the 20th Century and replaced with cement and steel.
      It just takes all the glamour and history from the game.   

I know what you mean mate. The character and all that. But things change and after the Bradford Stadium Disaster it was legislation here that no more wooden stands could be erected and things changed for the safety issues.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #53: Jun 18, 2009 11:06:10 pm
      Oh. Im blubbing now.

I remember when I was a kid living in a shoebox in t middle of road.

Seriously, back in '68 it was the raising to the glorious freedom of a Saturday (author Richmal Crompton) and getting out the door by half twelve.
      Getting on the 510 green Atlantean at Tinlings Prescot, with the lads and getting off at Shiel Road Ice Rink.
      Getting to the ground
      Walking round to the front of the Kop and looking up.
      Climbing up to our spec behind the goal with the barriers to our backs. We knew there would be barriers in front of us before the game was 20 minute old.
      Standing on the Kop looking out over the sea of green (Beatles song in there somewhere) waiting for the Kop to fill for as long as a match takes.
      Giving the Bad-Eye to the Bitters lodged into the corner.
      Giving the Good-Eye and a cheer to a mini skirt taking her seat in the stand next to us.

Watching Cally to our left and Thompson to the right cutting in to goal.
      Hateley being as good as Douglas Bader. Great in the air and sh*te on the ground. Not PC  and I meant Tony not Mark.
      Evans on his debut.

It wasnt Elf and Safety but it was REAL.

Ill shut up now.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #54: Jun 19, 2009 02:48:59 pm
      Is my memory playing games again. Did the boys pen move around I seem to remember it in the top right hand end of the Kop next to the main stand and somewhere else but I cant remember were.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #55: Jun 19, 2009 09:45:42 pm
      Is my memory playing games again. Did the boys pen move around I seem to remember it in the top right hand end of the Kop next to the main stand and somewhere else but I cant remember were.
      The original boys pen was in Kemlyn Road and ran from the half way line back towards Anfield road and us lads (at the time ) had no problem watching the match.It was moved to the back corner of the KOP in the late 1940s.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #56: Aug 07, 2010 03:25:30 pm
      Giving this a bump.

I F***ing love Anfield.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,186 posts | 528 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #57: Aug 07, 2010 04:17:49 pm
      Great stuff! This tread goes into my favorites:) I can only hope that one day I'll have the chance to step on the Anfield ground, stand in the Kop and make my own memories:) But till then love to read about the old days and other fans stories so keep them coming people:)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #58: Aug 07, 2010 05:01:27 pm
      Liverpool vs Everton

Believe this to be the Kop, no Idea of what year.

Shanks and the Kop celebrates the '73 Championship

Jesus how many people are in that small section of The Kop Alone ?
      « Last Edit: Aug 07, 2010 05:12:23 pm by RedLFCBlood »
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #59: Aug 07, 2010 06:59:59 pm

Jesus how many people are in that small section of The Kop Alone ?
      There used to be 28,000 people on the Kop, not a lot of thought for health and safety back then, but the noise must have been incredible!!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #60: Aug 07, 2010 07:30:34 pm
      There used to be 28,000 people on the Kop, not a lot of thought for health and safety back then, but the noise must have been incredible!!

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones who can say I have stood in the Kop before it was made all seater.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #61: Aug 07, 2010 07:39:18 pm
      The old Kop was immense. I used to love that rush of blood you'd get when you'd reach the top of those steps and look down to your speck!
      The Famous Kopite
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | -22 
      • Edinburgh to Liverpool 260miles 4 90mins worth it
      Reply #62: Aug 07, 2010 07:39:47 pm
      Looks Amazing
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #63: Aug 07, 2010 07:44:30 pm
      Guess I'm one of the lucky ones who can say I have stood in the Kop before it was made all seater.

I'm glad I had the privilege of standing in The Kop before it went all-seater.  It never struck me as odd back then though, that opposition fans would be standing along side me in the home end.  They just wanted to experience a game in the most famous stand in the country and although not every game I saw was a cracker, the atmosphere always was.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #64: Aug 07, 2010 07:50:24 pm
      The old Kop was immense. I used to love that rush of blood you'd get when you'd reach the top of those steps and look down to your speck!

I was only between 6 & 12 years old mate, I can remember sitting/standing on the white railings/crush bars with my dad stood behind me holding me so I didn't fall. Was that long ago it was the old first division and one of the best games I watched from the Kop was against Norwich, I believe we won I think it was 6-2 and Paul Walsh got a hatrick, but I may have my wires crossed as it was over twenty years ago. ;D
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #65: Aug 07, 2010 07:57:51 pm
      November 1986 RLB, almost 24 yrs ago !
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #66: Aug 07, 2010 08:06:44 pm

The old Kop.
      pedro43
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #67: Aug 07, 2010 11:44:35 pm
      I first went to Anfield with my old fella in the pre SHANKLY era I think it was a shilling to get on.We always went on the Anfield Road end .In them days if you didnt win the toss the opposition usually gave you choice of ends.So Liverpool nearly always attacked the Anfield Road end first.At that time their was no dividing walls in the corners of the Kemlyn road stand so we would walk around to the KOP to watch the second half .HAPPY DAYS
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #68: Aug 08, 2010 12:19:04 am
      November 1986 RLB, almost 24 yrs ago !

Makes me feel old that mate :)

Quick Reply