Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Xabi doesn't want Barca

Read 2697 times
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Xabi doesn't want Barca
      Dec 07, 2006 11:42:49 am
      Xabi's scared of Barcelona in the next round  ::)

From Sky Sports

Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso is hoping his team avoid Barcelona in the UEFA Champions League Last 16.

The Reds topped Group C but could be pitted against Barcelona in next Friday's draw after the Spaniards finished runners-up behind Chelsea in Group A.

Alonso admits facing Frank Rijkaard's team could prove a tall order for Liverpool, even if the midfielder claims his team have revelled in the role of underdog in the past.

"Now, I would prefer to avoid Barcelona," said Alonso.

"Maybe it would be great to meet them in the semi-final or the final. But whoever we are drawn against will be tough, the teams that have qualified are very difficult.

"But we are confident in ourselves, we know we can beat the best sides.

"When we won the trophy in 2005, we were never favourites in any game we played, and depending on the draw that may be the case again, which could suit us.

"It was definitely good the year we won it when everyone thought we would lose to Juventus and then Chelsea and Milan. I hope that would be a good omen for us."

Meanwhile, Alonso has urged Liverpool's proposed investors that they must respect the club's traditions.

The Reds are on the brink of a £450million takeover by Dubai International Capital.

"Liverpool have always had respect for their traditions," added Alonso.

"So although it will be great if this investment allows us to develop the team, it must not stop the respect for the traditions.

"I have only been here for two or three years but I have noticed everyone here is so proud of the history of this club."

« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2006 11:44:04 am by koolkidda »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: Xabi doesn't want Barca
      Reply #1: Dec 07, 2006 12:56:41 pm
      Don't be scared Xabi.... we won't be playing you if Sissoko's fit so no need to worry ;)

Nice to hear Xabi as one of the 'foreigners' respecting the traditions of the club and how important it is to our supporters.   I get the impression the new players get a real education about the club when they join from either the other players or the staff.
      FamousLiverbird100
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 211 posts |
      Reply #2: Dec 07, 2006 01:44:56 pm

I know, Momo is so big, scary, tough, no fear combative midfielder whereas Xabi is a technical, neat passing midfielder but also has a very good tackle rate on him which no one seems to notice! Xabi is not lightweight but when it comes to power then Sissoko is the one.

If we do play Barcelona would it be better to play Xabi or Momo? We can bully them out of the game by playing physical presence with Momo & Stevie in the centre or we could just play Stevie on the right with Xabi & Momo in the middle which i think will happen untill Rafa buys a world clss right winger.

They would keep most of the possesion but Rafa knows all the Spainsh teams and how they play so Rafa would surely be able to get one better than whoever we face!
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #3: Dec 07, 2006 02:02:18 pm
      If we do play Barcelona would it be better to play Xabi or Momo?

Away - Momo.

At Anfield - Xabi.

Got that Rafa?
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #4: Dec 07, 2006 06:34:22 pm
      Both would be nice, do you think the ref would notice ?? !!   ;D ;D ;) ;)
      FamousLiverbird100
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 211 posts |
      Reply #5: Dec 07, 2006 08:09:53 pm
      Both would be nice, do you think the ref would notice ?? !!   ;D ;D ;) ;)

man 806 posts and you still aint moderator.. you think somethin sexist is goin on?
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #6: Dec 07, 2006 10:22:04 pm
      man 806 posts and you still aint moderator.. you think somethin sexist is goin on?

I'm sure i'd be welcome as a mod, wouldnt I JD ?   I'm made very welcome on here by all the true red fans who post on here both male and female,  stop looking for a problem that isnt there FamousLiverbird100, anyway i'm too busy sorting a flooded house out !!    ;) 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #7: Dec 08, 2006 07:31:39 am
      I'm sure I'd be welcome as a mod, wouldnt I JD ?   I'm made very welcome on here by all the true red fans who post on here both male and female,  stop looking for a problem that isnt there FamousLiverbird100, anyway I'm too busy sorting a flooded house out !!    ;) 

Of course you would be.  He won't drive a wedge between us.. ;)
      FamousLiverbird100
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 211 posts |
      Reply #8: Dec 08, 2006 12:10:36 pm
      trust me, im only foolin around  :cool-smiley-027:

Quick Reply