Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 5th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W9 D6 L6

Will we get credit?

Read 6951 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6954 
      Re: Will we get credit?
      Reply #23: Mar 14, 2009 08:36:24 pm
      Four-goal Liverpool crush United to keep title race alive
      Paul Wilson, The Guardian

What a week for Rafa BenĂ­tez. A four-goal victory over Real Madrid followed by four goals to beat Manchester United at Old Trafford. Life can scarcely get any sweeter, and it could easily have been five.

Everything looked fairly straightforward for United when they were awarded a penalty in front of the Stretford End after 22 minutes, exactly the sort of thing that makes BenĂ­tez believe the world is against him. After being feted as regally as the King of Spain when Liverpool demolished Real Madrid in midweek the Liverpool manager was back to being a fat Spanish waiter here, at least in the eyes of the home fans. He could have no real complaints about the penalty decision, Ji-Sung Park probably wasn't going anywhere but was definitely caught by Pepe Reina after reaching Carlos Tevez's pass, and Cristiano Ronaldo gave United the lead from the spot.

So far so predictable, yet Liverpool, and Fernando Torres in particular, had no intention of following the usual script. When Nemanja Vidic made the mistake of letting a long clearance from Martin Skrtel bounce, Torres was through him in a flash, surprising the defender with his pace and coolly clipping the ball past the advancing Edwin van der Sar. Torres embarrassed Vidic on two or three more occasions as Liverpool grew in confidence and was unluckly not to be awarded a penalty at one stage when he headed the ball past the Serbian and was manhandled to the floor.

Undeterred, Torres helped win a penalty for Liverpoool on the stroke of the interval when his measured pass into the box for Steven Gerrard tempted Patrice Evra into a rash foul. This time there was even less doubt about the decision, and Gerrard himself stepped up to send his side in with a deserved half-time lead.

Liverpool held on to it surprisingly comfortably in the second half, with Wayne Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo all proving ineffectual up front and United coming no nearer to an equaliser than a couple of handling mistakes by Reina. After 70 minutes Sir Alex Ferguson sent on the cavalry, Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs and Dimitar Berbatov all coming on together in a rare triple substitution, but to no avail.

No sooner had United's reinforcements arrived than they went down to 10 men, Vidic completing a dismal afternoon by pulling back Gerrard to stop a clear run on goal. As if that were not bad enough, Fåbio Aurélio struck cleanly to score from the free-kick to leave United clear winners, and yet there was still time for Andrea Dossena to lob Van der Sar and leave Liverpool fans celebrating in what was now a half-empty stadium.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/14/premier-league-manchester-united-liverpool
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,017 posts | 3955 
      Reply #24: Mar 14, 2009 08:45:38 pm
      The sycophantic media circus is for a good part based in mancland so it is not surprising that they choose to lie and mutually masturbate over a bunch of losers. The success of manUre has been due in no small part to LFC's lack of the same,the media view the resurgeance of Liverpool with terror and dare not contemplate a return to the glory years when LFC crushed everything before them,they gave us no credit then and nothing is going to change so what is there to worry about they are irrelevant and despite what they think,affect nothing.
      dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Reply #25: Mar 14, 2009 08:54:57 pm
      CRUSH
      My favourite word right now.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6954 
      Reply #26: Mar 14, 2009 09:04:01 pm
      CRUSH
      My favourite word right now.

Here's another one for you then.

Liverpool Stun Manchester United
      Joe Lovejoy, The Sunday Times

So who says the title, and a clean sweep of all the honours, is a shoo-in for Manchester United now? After humiliating Real Madrid in midweek, Liverpool scored four again at Old Trafford yesterday and, to borrow Sir Alex Ferguson’s memorable phrase, it really is “squeaky bum time” for United now.

Resurgent Chelsea, undefeated under Guus Hiddink, could narrow the gap at the top of the table to four points by beating Manchester City at home this afternoon. That said, the talk of football today will be the comprehensive nature of Liverpol’s triumph here — the first time Rafa Benitez had experienced victory after enduring so many nightmares at the self-styled “Theatre of Dreams”.

Ferguson’s claim that United were the better team was ridiculously biased, even by the old grouse’s notoriously one-eyed standards. It was too risible for Benitez to bother to gainsay. The stats border on the historic.

It was the first time United had conceded four goals at home since 1992, when Queens Park Rangers upset the odds under Gerry Francis, with the unsung Dennis Bailey contributing a hat-trick.

Steven Gerrard’s penalty was the first the hosts had conceded at Old Trafford in the Premier League for two years. The result completed a home and away double for Liverpool over their great rivals, while for the league leaders it halted a run of 11 league wins on the trot. Nemanja Vidic was sent off for fouling Gerrard, reducing United to 10 men, but that was after 75 minutes, by which time Liverpool were 2-1 up and looking good.

For the typically voluble scouse contingent it was a red-letter day to evoke misty-eyed memories of their club’s halcyon years. For Graeme Souness read the leonine Gerrard, for Ian Rush the predatory Fernando Torres. After he had scored twice against Real, Gerrard was lauded as “the best player in the world” by a judge with personal experience of such things, Zinedine Zidane. The dynamic midfielder was again a colossal influence but had to share top billing with the pacy, gimlet-eyed Torres.

The outcome was all the more remarkable after the afternoon had begun badly for Liverpool. The influential Xabi Alonso was unfit and Alvaro Arbeloa tweaked a hamstring in the warm-up, necessitating a defensive shuffle. Jamie Carragher switched to right-back and Sami Hyypia was drafted in at centre-half. The implications of Hyypia’s lack of pace were still being digested when bad became worse for Benitez and company midway through the first half, Pepe Reina bringing down Ji-Sung Park for an obvious penalty, efficiently dispatched by Cristiano Ronaldo.

You would have staked a bank’s Government bailout against what was to follow. Ferguson, standing on the touchline in a coat reminiscent of Michael Foot, had the legs cut from under him and took to twitching from a seat in the dugout when his previously parsimonious defence leaked a soft equaliser within five minutes. Martin Skrtel’s long clearance upfield saw Torres stride clear of Nemanja Vidic, who was left crimson-faced on his backside as Spain’s European Championship-winning striker tucked a characteristically composed finish into Edwin Van der Sar’s right-hand corner.

Liverpool had an adrenaline rush, United were deflated and the initiative changed hands. Rio Ferdinand’s customary sang-froid deserted him and the accomplished defender was booked for upending Dirk Kuyt.

Liverpool’s stirring march from deficit to profit saw them take the lead shortly before the interval with a collector’s item — a penalty against United at Old Trafford. Gerrard, brought down by Patrice Evra, got up to beat Van der Sar from 12 yards with a shot low to the goalkeeper’s left. Suddenly, the best team in the country were in trouble. A fearful hush came over nine-tenths of the stadium and, as Anderson whirled his arms, calling urgently for more support, the Liverpudlian minority chortled: “Fergie’s right, your fans are s***.” The fans were not alone.

Ronaldo was anonymous, well contained by Fabio Aurelio, and Carlos Tevez was in blunt instrument mode, notably when Wayne Rooney’s inviting layoff caught the Argentinian maladroitly positioned at close range. The crowd called for Ryan Giggs, whose exclusion from the starting line-up after his outstanding performance against Internazionale was as surprising as Ferguson’s preference for Tevez over Dimitar Berbatov.

With 20 minutes left, the cavalry were finally brought into the fray, with Giggs, Berbatov and Paul Scholes sent on to rescue the game. Unfortunately for United, before the reinforcements could have any effect they were negated by the dismissal of Vidic, shown a straight red card by Alan Wiley for pulling down Gerrard 20 yards out. Aurelio stepped up and, from the inside-right channel, curled a delicious free kick, left-footed, over the defensive wall and into Van der Sar’s left corner. It was the crucial goal and, the match won, Benitez brought off Torres with next weekend’s visit of Aston Villa in mind. But if the manager was satisfied, his players weren’t, and in the 90th minute John O’Shea made the costly mistake of allowing a clearance from Reina to bounce, and Andrea Dossena, on for Albert Riera, chipped Van der Sar with the accuracy that brought him similar late success against Real.

Over to Chelsea, who will be hoping their neighbours, Fulham, can do them another favour when United travel to Craven Cottage on Saturday. Vidic’s suspension for that fixture will further encourage Hiddink and his charges.

Star man: Fernando Torres (Liverpool)

Yellow cards: Man Utd: Ferdinand, Van der Sar. Liverpool: Carragher, Skrtel, Mascherano.

Red card: Man Utd: Vidic

Referee: A Wiley. Attendance: 75,569.

Manchester United: Van der Sar 6, O’Shea 5, Ferdinand 6, Vidic 5, Evra 6, Ronaldo 5, Carrick 5 (Giggs 74min), Anderson 5 (Scholes 73min), Park 5 (Berbatov 74min), Rooney 7, Tevez 5.

Liverpool: Reina 6, Carragher 6, Skrtel 6, Hyypia 6, Aurelio 7, Mascherano 6, Lucas 6, Kuyt 6, Gerrard 9 (El Zhar 90min), Riera 5 (Dossena 67min), Torres 9 (Babel 81min).

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article5907658.ece

Our player scores are hilarious, but actually, we all know that we didn't play as well as we could. Which makes the result more hilarious. How Rooney got more than 8 of our players is beyond me though.

Maybe he got a bonus point for his pre-match team talk for the reds?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,017 posts | 3955 
      Reply #27: Mar 14, 2009 09:06:53 pm

No sooner had United's reinforcements arrived than they went down to 10 men, Vidic completing a dismal afternoon by pulling back Gerrard to stop a clear run on goal. As if that were not bad enough, Fåbio Aurélio struck cleanly to score from the free-kick to leave United clear winners, and yet there was still time for Andrea Dossena to lob Van der Sar and leave Liverpool fans celebrating in what was now a half-empty stadium.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/14/premier-league-manchester-united-liverpool
      They can't help themselves - I thought the Guardian was fairly neutral it says in the article above "Fabio Aurello struck cleanly to score from the free kick to leave united clear winners" is that some kind of compulsive reporting disorder ? I mean declare ManUre the winners no matter what the result.
      dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Reply #28: Mar 14, 2009 09:15:07 pm
      Star man: Fernando Torres (Liverpool)

Yellow cards: Man Utd: Ferdinand, Van der Sar. Liverpool: Carragher, Skrtel, Mascherano.

Red card: Man Utd: Vidic

Referee: A Wiley. Attendance: 75,569.

Manchester United: Van der Sar 6, O’Shea 5, Ferdinand 6, Vidic 5, Evra 6, Ronaldo 5, Carrick 5 (Giggs 74min), Anderson 5 (Scholes 73min), Park 5 (Berbatov 74min), Rooney 7, Tevez 5.

Liverpool: Reina 6, Carragher 6, Skrtel 6, Hyypia 6, Aurelio 7, Mascherano 6, Lucas 6, Kuyt 6, Gerrard 9 (El Zhar 90min), Riera 5 (Dossena 67min), Torres 9 (Babel 81min).

You`d think we`d just been involved in a boring 0-0 draw according to those markings.
      London press................... ..............
      red79
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #29: Mar 14, 2009 09:43:31 pm
      They can't help themselves - I thought the Guardian was fairly neutral it says in the article above "Fabio Aurello struck cleanly to score from the free kick to leave united clear winners" is that some kind of compulsive reporting disorder ? I mean declare ManUre the winners no matter what the result.

Ha i read that and thought the same
      red79
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #30: Mar 14, 2009 09:46:46 pm
      You`d think we`d just been involved in a boring 0-0 draw according to those markings.
      London press................... ..............

Yes if it had of been Chelsea or Arsenal they would have all scored 10
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #31: Mar 14, 2009 09:49:00 pm
      We will not get credit and for the reason that a single performance does not judge a team. If you looked at Boro against us on that day and only that day you would be led to believe that we were in swapped positions in the standings. Credit in a league style play is based on consistency not individual performances.

And yet I am in the clouds at the moment, did the double over Man Utd and Chelsea this season, and I feel I can now say we have a shot at taking the League at the death from the Scum!

COME ON YOU RED MEN!

:kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      red79
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #32: Mar 14, 2009 10:04:33 pm
      I've just switched on sky sports to watch game of the day and they're showing bloody arsenal, now call me a cynic but if we'd beaten relegation threatened blackburn 4 0 at home and any other team had beaten the mancs 4-1 at ot i can guarantee we would not have been on game of the day!
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #33: Mar 14, 2009 10:36:43 pm
      I've just switched on sky sports to watch game of the day and they're showing bloody arsenal, now call me a cynic but if we'd beaten relegation threatened blackburn 4 0 at home and any other team had beaten the mancs 4-1 at ot I can guarantee we would not have been on game of the day!

That could be a rights issue, not choice...
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #34: Mar 14, 2009 11:00:50 pm
      Well some people will talk of luck and bad defending but you can't simply ignore the two scorelines....it's 2 whitewashes in 5 days. This is more than luck. This is a great team  in the making and starting to live up to it's expectations.

I was never really worried by Real or Man U. I think the latter, although 'world champions' aren't really playing that well at the moment. They struggled the other week against Spurs. They can roll over a mid table team but they are very much beatable and we proved that today.

I personally think they will slip up between now and the end of the season, hopefully a few draws and perhaps another big loss (or two). Whether we can go on an unbeaten run remains to be seen but even if Man U lift the premiership trophy in May, to me it will have a hollow significance as they know as much as we do that we have beaten them good and proper and a new hierarchy is slowly starting to form in the premiership. We are on to them and the league will be won by us in the near future.

To listen to the Sky commentators is always a laugh. Andy Gray had the cheek to say something along the lines of 'Chelsea will be watching this with interest and saying thanks to Liverpool for doing them a favour'. Implying that Chelsea will still be title contenders but not Liverpool after today's result.

Well, all I can say to you Andy Gray, Jamie Redknapp and anyone else who constantly writes us off is...........Start to get used to it, 'cause we are on the up!

Today you finally got the truth shoved in your faces............

solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #35: Mar 14, 2009 11:14:31 pm
      Hilarious;

Fergie called in the CALVARY to come rescue the game. CALVARY INDEED  :lmao:
      Paul 08
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts | -4 
      • Justice for the 96 reds
      Reply #36: Mar 14, 2009 11:21:19 pm
      we won't get credit because they will all say the mancs will still win the league which is a load of sh*t I don't care what the media say as long as we as fans and a club have our pride then I don't care what the media write. DON'T BUY THE SUN JFT96
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,808 posts | 6754 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #37: Mar 15, 2009 11:12:50 pm

I was thinking the same Stuey but I read it again and think the article just forgot to put in a comma.

It should read :

" score from the free kick to leave united (,) clear winners...as in we left OT clear winners. I will give them the benifit of the doubt on this one.

But to answer the original question NO.

The stupid bi*ch Foxtel commentator ( although, very sexy do-able commentator) said "we" (United) were just having an off day!!! WTF.

Also the match commentator said after Ronaldo's penalty " That was a world class penalty taken form Ronaldo" WTF.

The arse licking of the Mancs will never stop but we know where we stand and that's all that matters to me...I don't give a flying F**k about what anyone thinks outside of our Liverpool world.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #38: Mar 15, 2009 11:28:44 pm
      Mate that bird on Foxtel does my fukn head in I mean I am not a sexist by any stretch of the imagination but when you allow a sweet looking lady to lead the program ahead of the biggest clash of the year and you have Mark Bosnich and Slater keeping mum both players with PL experience something is clearly wrong. Then this sweet looking lady comes up with bias sh*t like "we" had an off day. Then there was the commentator jizzing in his pants over everything United did like the penalty and then the countless times he said "sublime, excellent superb pass from Carrick" it was just ridicolous. On that note speaking to my old man the next day and he said the commentators were talking so much sh*t and were so biased he watched the game with the volume down.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,808 posts | 6754 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #39: Mar 15, 2009 11:33:56 pm
      Mate that bird on Foxtel does my fukn head in I mean I am not a sexist by any stretch of the imagination but when you allow a sweet looking lady to lead the program ahead of the biggest clash of the year and you have Mark Bosnich and Slater keeping mum both players with PL experience something is clearly wrong. Then this sweet looking lady comes up with bias sh*t like "we" had an off day. Then there was the commentator jizzing in his pants over everything United did like the penalty and then the countless times he said "sublime, excellent superb pass from Carrick" it was just ridicolous. On that note speaking to my old man the next day and he said the commentators were talking so much sh*t and were so biased he watched the game with the volume down.

Not wrong mate, I'm gonna write to Foxtel today to say if she's gonna lead the programme, make sure she wear less clothes  :o and just keeps her mouth shut .

After Gerrard scored we were too busy jumping up and down to even hear the rest of the commentary. The pictures were quite sufficient.  ;D
      MsGerrard
      Reply #40: Mar 16, 2009 10:27:33 am
      Course we won't get any credit, like Brian said, we never did in the 70's and 80's so were not going to now.

But like many have said, do we really care?

Well it would be nice to be acknowledged for the fact that we've beaten , not just beaten either, annihilated Real Madrid and man utd in the space of a week, but for some unknown reason the press don't seem to like us :f_tongueincheek:

We won, we all know we did it and with style as well, that's good enough for me.

I've sent the team a 'Congratulations' card today  ;D Just so they know how proud we are of them  ;)
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #41: Mar 16, 2009 10:32:59 am
      My Auntie used to send Birthday cards!!!!!!!!!!!!. I think thats a great idea and what a boost to the team to recieve them. I'll send mine today maybe its something we could start here.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #42: Mar 16, 2009 10:43:55 am
      When I was 21 I had a signed card from all the players, my Mum had sent a card to the club, and they'd all signed it and sent it back to me, what a wonderful surprise  ;D

PS...............It's Nando's Birthday on Friday  ;)
      red79
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #43: Mar 16, 2009 11:01:12 am
      What a nice gesture that is, sending a card, I'm going to send a card too and i think everyone else should, it wont cost much and it will just emphasise to the players (As if they don't already know) how much we love them and Liverpool Football Club, and with all these cards about the place it might give the lads a lift as and when they need it!
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #44: Mar 16, 2009 11:13:20 am
      I was surprised yesterday by andy gray on ' The Last Word' i was expecting the 'lucky liverpool' comment but actually he criticised united for once, picking out their mistakes, was good to see them getting a bit of stick for once. But even still, i don't think we'll get the credit we deserve! We didn't just beat them 1-0 or whatever, we stuffed them 4-1!! The media don't seem to want to recognise that!
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      'Off day opposition'
      Reply #45: Mar 16, 2009 11:53:49 am
      It really riles me to see that when We give a 'World Class ' team a hiding, that You always hear somone saying our opponents had an 'off day'. E.G Real Madrid , Man Utd. :f_steam:

Quick Reply