Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Will Babel turn into the sensation that he can be???

Read 4869 times
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Re: Will Babel turn into the sensation that he can be???
      Reply #23: May 17, 2009 10:17:59 pm
      I think Babel will turn out to be a real matchwinner for us,this lad has pace,skill and intelligence ( you can see this by the runs he makes ) he only needs the time to connect as Yossi  has done this year and he could be the scourge of the premiership .he's also a very young player to hold on to imo
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #24: May 17, 2009 10:20:43 pm
      I think Babel will turn out to be a real matchwinner for us,this lad has pace,skill and intelligence ( you can see this by the runs he makes ) he only needs the time to connect as Yossi  has done this year and he could be the scourge of the premiership .he's also a very young player to hold on to imo

Got to call you up on the intelligence part.... Thing with babel is he has a special ability to choose the wrong opion nearly all the time... If he could get his head right, and not be so clumpsy then he would be great,, intelligence is what is holding his back imo
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #25: May 17, 2009 10:26:52 pm
      Great potential but end of his liverpool career i think is coming soon....
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #26: May 18, 2009 01:07:28 am
      I would love to say he'll make it coz hes got the talent and power to cause nightmares for defences, but to me something is missing. Idont know if its down to his attitude or what. He just seems to dissapoint me a hell of a lot. Maybe thats down to me thinking he can do so much more for liverpool, buti dont think im being too critical on him. If he stays he has got to come up with the goods when given the chance.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #27: May 18, 2009 01:10:31 am
      Well I hope so.

It would save us splashing out another £20 odd million on a winger that actually is at their peak!
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #28: May 18, 2009 01:25:13 am
      This player is a confidence player, he needs continuous games to reach his potential, ten in a row so he can gell with the team which he hasnt done yet, maybe support striker for torres, with gerrard on the right and kuyt on the bench.

His potential is absolutly massive, he has the unlock factor, he has flare, this is what we are lacking, he can go past people, but the lad still needs work.
      He should not be sold.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #29: May 18, 2009 01:31:03 am
      Babel can do one.

You can harp on all you want about confidence.  But if he can't even get it on target when he's 8 yards out and we're 2-0 up then god help us.

Not only is he not good enough for our first team but I don't even think he could be part of a title-winning squad.

An enormous waste of money.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #30: May 18, 2009 01:37:06 am
      For me Babel won't turn into anything too special at Anfield for the following reasons.

- He'll never be ahead of Torres as first choice forward
      - He'll never be ahead of Gerrard as first choice to just play off Torres
      - He'll find it almost impossible to get ahead of Kuyt for the right wing
      - He's about as much use as a chocolate tea-pot out on the left wing

So he isn't gonna be breaking into our first team on a regular basis for at least four years, by which time he'll be 26/27 and by that time he won't have time to reach his potential. While he's at Anfield he'll be a bit part player and an impact player (who very rarely makes an impact) so the sensible thing to do for club and player is sell him in the summer. He may well go on to become a world star at another club and people will bemoan "well aren't you glad we sold him now" but he'll never become a world star at Anfield because we've got better players in his positions who are already at their peak or getting towards it and the one position he's asked to fill, the left wing, he isn't good enough.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #31: May 18, 2009 01:47:59 am
      The only thing good about Babel is his pace and the power he can get in his shots.

Unfortunatly he cant even get his shots on target with little power let alone a lot of power. And secondly he never gets chance to use his pace because he always loses the ball as soon as he gets it.

He could be a very good player and at times he's shown signs of being a great signing, for example, his goal against Derby in the 6-0 win when he dummied two defenders a treat, and his back heel against Besiktas. But the problem with Babel is he hasn't got the balls to fight for his place and has no desire to prove himself, he is expecting to just walk into the team.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #32: May 18, 2009 02:13:42 am
      Babel is a fine example of too much muscle, too little brain.

United, Chelsea or Arsenal wouldn't have him.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #33: May 18, 2009 12:53:58 pm
      Well he may be all of the above ,but the guy just went up a hell of a lot in my eyes ,just watched him on the tv with a group of disabled kids from liverpool ,he was brilliant with them and for that alone and all the smiles he put on their faces he deserves some credit .
      Ok i know he missed a sitter yesterday but so has every other player ,i just think Rafa has it in him to get the lad going .
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #34: May 18, 2009 12:58:53 pm
      Well he may be all of the above ,but the guy just went up a hell of a lot in my eyes ,just watched him on the tv with a group of disabled kids from liverpool ,he was brilliant with them and for that alone and all the smiles he put on their faces he deserves some credit .

Fair play, nice one Babel.

Does his best work off the pitch obviously.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #35: May 18, 2009 01:14:33 pm
      Didn't Wenger want him for ages but couldn't afford the price at the time, I think Babel is potentially a very good player, he is highly rated in Holland, didn't Van Basten say it was criminal recently how little Rafa was using him, was watching Sky a couple of weeks ago when Stevie was on the panel, they were going through Liverpools subs bench which included Lucas, Ngog, Babel and El Zhar Stevie was asked was there anyone on the bench that could change the game if needed, he said Babel and went on to say how much potential he had. Babel is obviously a confidence player, that was known in Holland where he always seemed to play better in home games, so he needs to play games more regularly, he needs to play 10 games in a row before we can properly judge him, he was Andy Grays player to watch this season but he hasn't really got the chance. Maybe we could send him on loan to get regular games and rebuild his confidence.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #36: May 18, 2009 01:23:02 pm
      I wanted to shoot him yesterday.

We all want him to succeed and be that final polished diamond that we have been hoping for.

Just doesn't look like it's going to happen though.

Frustrating, not only that he missed that sitter but the fact that he looked lazy. He wasn't tracking back. At one stage he just stood there in the middle of the park and watched as they played it down the wing.

I so want him to succeed at Liverpool but every time I see him play I just feel that I won't be too disheartened if he left in the Summer.
      Beansie
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 370 posts |
      Reply #37: May 18, 2009 03:42:08 pm
      doubt he will at liverpool.

regardless of technical ability he has, he just isn't a team player.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #38: May 18, 2009 03:59:09 pm
      I don't know if the guy will be given any more time, it wasn't long ago that he wanted to go home to Holland, maybe Rafa will give him his wish.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #39: May 18, 2009 08:18:04 pm
      In my opinion what's wrong with Babel at the minute is he is in a slump but he has completley the wrong idea on how to get out of it. Time and time again we see him come on and instead of playing the easy ball he tries a fancy pass or attempts to beat the man and gives the ball away. Its clear that he wants to improve and get out of his slump but maybe somebody should suggest to him that the best way to do this is not attempting to set the world alight, but by putting in two or three solid, functional performances. He needs a bit of mentoring from Kuyt on this score in my opinion.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #40: May 18, 2009 08:25:37 pm
      He is pretty frustrating, I want the lad to do well here but he really doesn't help himself. He should have buried that chance yesterday.

I do agree with the points made about playing on the left wing though, I think players have him more or less sussed now out there, he needs to be more central if anything and let's face it, he's facing some pretty stiff opposition.

I'm kind of split on Babel. I don't know whether I want him to have another season to prove his worth or whether he should be sold to fund buying a proven talent perhaps.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #41: May 18, 2009 08:26:06 pm
      For a player with the pace that he has, he just never seems able to go past his marker.  He sometimes seems frightened of them.  Maybe it's a confidence thing, i dont know.  The left side of midfield is one of our weaker spots, and he can't cement is place there, that says it all really.

A huge disappointment for me.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #42: May 18, 2009 08:35:16 pm
      He is pretty frustrating, I want the lad to do well here but he really doesn't help himself. He should have buried that chance yesterday.

I do agree with the points made about playing on the left wing though, I think players have him more or less sussed now out there, he needs to be more central if anything and let's face it, he's facing some pretty stiff opposition.

I'm kind of split on Babel. I don't know whether I want him to have another season to prove his worth or whether he should be sold to fund buying a proven talent perhaps.

Time to count our losses, IMO. If we give him another season, his value will drop like a brick. We can sell him for about 10 Million now, or about 4 million next season if things carry on this way.
      Andy shanks
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #43: May 18, 2009 08:44:59 pm
      Its most definatly a confidence thing with Babel, he seems to be a rabbit in the headlights at times but he will be a special player as he and he has pace to burn and time on his side. Disapointing year for him this season though. Things will get better.   
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #44: May 18, 2009 08:48:30 pm
      I'm not sure he has the right attitude. Coming out moaning isn't what Liverpool fans want from our squad players. We want to see them working hard to improve and playing with a smile on their faces, even if the supporters might boo them from time to time. Buckling down and working hard to prove those same supporters wrong and mature into a first team player. As much as I've had my doubts about a certain Lucas Leiva, he is proving to one and all that he has the heart for the fight and is not a one-trick-pony. Babel, on the other hand, seems to me like one of those players that would be happy to play for an average club if he was getting a game every week no matter how he played. To be successful at Liverpool Football Club, you have to be looking to improve with every touch, every kick, every pass, every shot, every game. I think Babel is ready to give up. And if players gave up and moved on to an easier option when the going got tough, then none of us would ever be roaring Rush scored one, Rush scored two, Rush scored three and Rush scored four... ;)
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #45: May 18, 2009 08:58:34 pm
      I sometimes wonder how Babel gets such criticism and Lucas so much praise, ya Babel has hinted about moves away but so has Lucas, Ya Lucas game has improved over the last couple of months but he has being getting games and the support of his manager something which Babel obviously hasn't. I think potentially Babel is a much better prospect than Lucas and think he has had more good matches for Liverpool than Lucas. Babel has being unlucky this season, after putting in an impressive performance against Real instead of being allowed to progress on this he found himself on the bench again the following week and it was weeks before he started again. He is a confidence player that needs our full support.

Quick Reply