Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Do you belive in big name signings?

Read 1937 times
      FamousLiverbird100
      • Forum Geoff Strong
      • Started Topic

• 211 posts |
      Do you belive in big name signings?
      Dec 09, 2006 12:13:44 pm
      Thats why I think Chelsea are more than sucsessfull... because even though they paid a lot for their players.. their players were not known as world class beaters... well not all of them that is

Essien, Drogba, Carvalho, J.Cole, Makelele, Robben... Most of these players were not big name players at the time they bought them and if you look at the big named players they did buy... Shevchenko, Crespo, SWP.. they have all failed at the club badly so what im tryin to say is if Liverpool do get this 5th richest man in the world is it better to go for low profile players with top potential or just go for big named world class players like Pirlo, Kaka etc which personaly I would not like! A bit like Real Madrid have done over the past few years now!
      « Last Edit: Dec 09, 2006 12:14:56 pm by FamousLiverbird100 »
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Re: Do you belive in big name signings?
      Reply #1: Dec 09, 2006 02:48:28 pm
      You must be right. Ballack and Shevchenko have been amazing haven't they.......not

They have always bought at the top end of the market - the likes of Essien WERE big names - they were being chased down by a number of big name clubs.  Drogba was lets face it of a similar level as Cisse - which we DID pay £14 million for.

I don't think it has ever really been Liverpool's policy to buy big name players - they often don't work out IMO.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2: Dec 09, 2006 06:11:31 pm
      Sometimes it works out - sometimes it doesn't.
      As Jabba said. Ballack and Shevchenko are impressing arn't they.
      NOT.
      FamousLiverbird100
      • Forum Geoff Strong
      • Started Topic

• 211 posts |
      Reply #3: Dec 09, 2006 08:07:20 pm
      Essien was on the wanted list of just Chelsea at the time, no one else would pay that much for him! Chelsea did not do a "Madrid" buying... Robinho, Beckham, Ronaldo, Owen, Cassano, Baptista who have all failed at Real Madrid and look how much they cost them!

Real Madrid have obviously got more disciplined with Emerson & Diarra in the centre and a horse head striker who bangs goals in everymatch... thats what we need when we get money.. we need to be disciplined but we also need a lot of quality in the side with players who us fans will not expect the world from them if you know what i mean
      stev_17
      • Forum David Johnson

• 224 posts |
      Reply #4: Dec 10, 2006 05:49:52 am
      i rekon low profile players, and big name players evenly put throughuot the team so the lower profile players learn off the bigger ones, which will create a better team chemistry than a team full of big name players like real madrid
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #5: Dec 10, 2006 10:20:59 am
      I agree with what you are saying and must admit that i have my doubts about some of the big names mentioned that some fans would like to see at our club.  I believe that with maybe one more big signing and with a mix of homegrown young talent coming through that we will be challenging for the big one once again.  This season it has eluded us with our poor away form but i guarantee that we will be closer to the mancs come the end of the season.
      nico-s-lfc
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #6: Dec 10, 2006 10:41:58 am
      i agree with you bird.chelsea did pay a lot of money for relatively unknown players with a lot of potential,and only because abramovich is rolling in it did chelsea pay such ridiculous inflated prices for non proven players.raffa has already proved that he's not really a fan of spending money on big names,and he's not trying to buy the champions league like chelsea are trying to do.(because we've already won it.BIG RASPBERRY! to jose and his men.)raffa likes a bargain.he likes hard working players with a team mentaliity who will carry out his instructions to the letter,and who dont really cost a lot of dosh.apart from kuyt and alonso costing ten million each,every other player has cost less.and those two signings look a bargain in my eyes.i just hope that when we do get our hands on sheikh yer bootys money that,players aren't attracted to our club just to make a quick buck or to sit on the side lines still earning a bonus.i hope that our steep traditions,our domestic success,our european glories and playing in front of the most loyal enthusiastic supporters the world has ever seen is enough to tempt any player.proven or not.         
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #7: Dec 10, 2006 01:46:00 pm
      Chelsea did not do a "Madrid" buying... Robinho, Beckham, Ronaldo, Owen, Cassano, Baptista who have all failed at Real Madrid and look how much they cost them!
      Yeah you're right in a sence.
      But Owen didn't fail at Madrid...
      Madrid failed him.

Quick Reply