Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

What do you think would = a successful 2009 season

Read 3931 times
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      What do you think would = a successful 2009 season
      Mar 21, 2009 12:03:37 pm
      A magnificent season would be defined by us winning the league title, and the Champions League.

A great season would be defined by us winning either one or the other.

So I ask everyones opinion..... What do you think would = a successful season? 

I think we would need to at least make the final of the Champions League, and finish no more than 5 points off winning the title to consider this a successful season.

Any thoughts?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,270 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: What do you think would = a successful 2009 season
      Reply #1: Mar 21, 2009 12:48:37 pm
      Not too sure Barry, but I think this may have been done before.

But I thnk it could only be answered after the season ahs finished and how we actually feel. From potentially winning 4 trophies, 3 months ago, then 2, and now 1, with a long outside chance of another, it would seem things are not good, but I guess we all at the moment quite good after the last 7 days.
      aksh_jaj245
      • Forum David Johnson

• 238 posts |
      Reply #2: Mar 21, 2009 12:52:07 pm
      i guess gerrard and torres remaining fit.. Babel hitting top form( if he can)

and one of the two valencia assets..

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,379 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Mar 21, 2009 01:17:36 pm
      Its already somewhat of a sucees

1) Rafa signed his new deal
      2) Parry is leaving
      3) Hammered the scum at there place

Add to the fact were in for the champions league and still on for the league and Rafa has got right up fergusons nose yeah its been a good season
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #4: Mar 21, 2009 01:51:46 pm
      At the start of the season everyone would have been happy with us just being up there and challenging for the title come the run in, and so some could argue that it has been a sucessful season[given that we always do well in the UCL], But I think we can push utd all the way and take the champions league, if you rest on your laurels you wont get any further.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #5: Mar 21, 2009 04:01:12 pm
      Not too sure Barry, but I think this may have been done before.

Certainly has, I made it haha.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #6: Mar 21, 2009 04:04:37 pm
      Being involved in a title change has been very refreshing this season.

Winning either of the trophies we are aiming for would be a huge success.

IRIT.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #7: Mar 21, 2009 04:10:49 pm
      Win either of the trophies. Contracts of players and backroom staff sorted out.
      No players being sold..
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #8: Mar 21, 2009 04:11:47 pm
      Win either of the trophies. Contracts of players and backroom staff sorted out.
      No players being sold..

What about Pennant? ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Mar 21, 2009 04:13:58 pm
      He'd be released, not sold. Voronin though, that would/should be a sale.

A trophy would do ;)
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #10: Mar 21, 2009 04:16:55 pm
      A trophy would be great.

But staying in this title race until the end would still be a very good achievement.
      northennutta
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts | -2 
      Reply #11: Mar 21, 2009 04:20:48 pm
      its already been a good season many fans on a high, to make it a season to remember to tell future generations about would be to push for league even if we only finish second, but to then get the CL in rome (again :D ) but takin it from under the whiskey soaked palms of the old fruit!
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #12: Mar 21, 2009 04:24:44 pm
      Our main objective this season was to try and get the league title. So if we do manage to do that or even get very close, then i think this season can be classed successful.

However we always try and win many trophies as we can so if we win the CL, this season would successful.

But we'll obviously win both, and its going to be a magnificent season for us. ;)
      NandoTheLegend
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts |
      Reply #13: Mar 21, 2009 06:07:07 pm
      Get more depth in the squad.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #14: Mar 21, 2009 09:07:01 pm
      Top two in the prem. Hopefully win it.  C.L. final and hopefully another win, Aquire a good r winger and quality cover for Nando for next season, so we can press on and win it again. Oh, and buy rooney and keep him in the reserves.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #15: Mar 21, 2009 09:24:39 pm
      Win the premiership and the Champions League.

A successful season?We have beaten both mancs & chavs home and away! Sweet already!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #16: Mar 21, 2009 09:35:12 pm
      To be honest like some have said that we have had a very good season.  How many people really thought that we were ready to challenge for the title and to lead the tabe for weeks.  I think those that say they thought it would happen are lying, we've taken a giant leap this season and for me that is success.  However, though Barry, I don't think this is the time to be contemplating on success, but enjoying the unfoldings of the coming months as this could be more than a successful season, but a historic season.
      posouth
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #17: Mar 21, 2009 10:59:59 pm
      Premier League = 2nd

Same goal as I would hope for at the start of the season. What an achievement if we could bring the title race up to the last game, too!
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #18: Mar 21, 2009 11:06:18 pm
      The way it looks, it is ALL still for grabs in the Premiership. Right now, I want the Premiership more than anything else.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #19: Mar 21, 2009 11:44:04 pm
      Champions league winners, and push the scum as far as we can. If we can get both on the final day of the season i would wet my knickers, and the drunken scott would crawl back from whence he came.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #20: Mar 21, 2009 11:44:35 pm
      Ultimately, important silverware proves success and you don't get these things until the end of the season. So either the league or the European Cup. Or both (which we still have a chance at) at the end of the season would mean success. It's that simple.

But it's been some time since I've buzzed and had hope in continuation about a league title like this, pushing on through to the end of March. No matter what other people may think, we are a justified to be challenging. And it's important to keep the belief strong!

The fact is, there is only a few more squad options to improve on now where as in the past, it was clear that there were vast improvements needed both in playing staff and belief.

So if we push the challenge until the end now - resulting in no silverware, by no means will I see it as success. But I'll certainly see it as a benchmark to surpass. And we will do. And we'll keep progressing.

But we'll obviously win both, and its going to be a magnificent season for us. ;)

I hope every single person from now until the last game at Anfield has this belief.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #21: Mar 22, 2009 12:20:37 am
      At the start of the season I don't honestly believe, apart from one or two people on here, that we genuinely thought we would land the title. 

I would imagine at the start of the year being involved in a title race was something we would all have seen as progress, no?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #22: Mar 22, 2009 12:29:06 am
      At the start of the season I don't honestly believe, apart from one or two people on here, that we genuinely thought we would land the title. 

I would imagine at the start of the year being involved in a title race was something we would all have seen as progress, no?

Definitely progress. A lot of people on here and elsewhere knew where we had to improve at the beginning of this season. Generally to knock the draws in the head and start beating the other top teams in the league. We've done that in abundance this season but the draws have still hindered us.

Yet we are still up there and still have a chance of success. I think belief is the key to success for us this season. I'd rather our players and fans believe we can win both the league and the European Cup. Instead of one or the other.

I think it's important that the players don't walk alone from now until the end of the season.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,219 posts | 3393 
      Reply #23: Mar 22, 2009 12:30:30 am

Progress? Yes because it'd be better than what we'd done in the league in any of the previous four seasons under Benitez. Enough progress? Debateable and for another thread I'd imagine.

For me for this season to be successful we have to win something. Don't want to worry folk but for a club of our size not winning anything isn't a success, especially as it'd be a third year in a row. There's be indiviual successes like Stevie topping 20 goals again (which I'm sure he will), Torres getting somewhere between 15 and 25 goals despite being injured for the vast majority. There's been successful matches (double over United, double over Chelsea, double of Madrid, 5-1 of Newcastle) but to top that season off and make it a real success that will be remembered in history is for us to win something.

Quick Reply