Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Stevie wants to stay...not that we ever doubted him

Read 2356 times
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Stevie wants to stay...not that we ever doubted him
      Mar 25, 2009 07:00:59 am
      Is it going to get any better for Liverpool Fans?  ;D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/25/steven-gerrard-new-contract-liverpool

Steven Gerrard will commit to a new long-term contract at Liverpool at the end of the season after admitting he has "never been happier" throughout his career, with the England midfielder convinced that Rafael Benítez can help wrest domestic dominance from Manchester United.

The 28-year-old has two years to run on his current £110,000-a-week contract and, while talks have yet to begin on an extension, they are pencilled in for the summer when a new four-year deal is expected.

Gerrard suggested negotiations should swiftly reach resolution. The Liverpool captain has been in outstanding form playing a free role behind Fernando Torres in recent weeks, scoring in the four-goal routs of Real Madrid and United, with a hat-trick in Sunday's 5–0 demolition of Aston Villa.

He will follow Benítez in committing his future to the club, with both the long-serving Jamie Carragher and much coveted Torres also expected to agree new terms as Liverpool seek to tie their key performers to long-term deals. "I'm really happy at the club at the moment," said Gerrard. "I've got two years left on my contract. If there was a chance to extend that, I'm sure I'd do it. I've never been happier than I am at the moment throughout my career because I'm playing in a top team, I'm playing with world-class players and I believe the manager that, going forward, we can be successful."

The favourable conclusion to Benítez's own protracted negotiations – the manager signed a new deal to run until 2014 last week after five months of occasionally acrimonious talks between his lawyers and the club's American owners – has strengthened Gerrard's determination to remain at Anfield despite mooted interest from Internazionale and Real Madrid to tempt him with a move to the continent. The midfielder described his manager as "a winner" yesterday and still hopes Liverpool's thirst for a first league title since 1990 could be quenched in May.

United's successive defeats have left them only a point clear at the top, albeit with a game in hand, to suggest momentum is currently with Liverpool. That belief has merely been strengthened by the ill-discipline that has crept into the champions' performances and by Sir Alex Ferguson's recent public outbursts criticising Benítez, with United apparently unnerved by unexpected setbacks against the Merseysiders at Old Trafford and at Fulham on Saturday.

In contrast Liverpool are a team revived after enduring their own stutter at the turn of the year. "There's a good feeling around the place at the moment," added Gerrard, who should make his first appearance for England in six months against Slovakia on Saturday. "It's important not to get carried away. United are still favourites. If they win their game in hand, they're four points ahead, a decent lead at this stage of the season. But confidence is high, the momentum is with us. We have to focus on what we're doing and, if they have another slip up, we have to capitalise on it.

"My relationship with Rafa has got stronger as time's gone by. Maybe when I was a bit younger I was a bit selfish, thinking of myself a bit too much when he was playing me out of position [on the right of midfield]. I should have maybe taken a deep breath and realised he was asking me to do that for the team. But, at the moment, he's playing me in my favourite position, I'm captain, we're winning. Things at the club are really good.For years and years I've moaned about not being involved in a title race and being far away from the other teams. But at the moment I'm playing in a team that's capable of beating anyone in the league. I'm settled, I'm happy. Things on the pitch couldn't be better."

alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Re: Stevie wants to stay...not that we ever doubted him
      Reply #1: Mar 25, 2009 07:34:59 am
      Thats what we like to see, now we only need Carragher and Torres to sign and were good, also I would love Alonso to sign a long term contract with us because I personally feel he is one of them main players as well, so to is Masc.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #2: Mar 25, 2009 07:39:50 am
      It's very important for our captain to show his loyalty and desire to win trophies with this club.
      Hopefully  Carra, Nando, Xabi, Masch, Daniel, Dirk and Arby and others sort out their contracts as well. I want them here long term! I would also like Sami to be part of the coaches when he retires.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #3: Mar 25, 2009 08:27:38 am
      Could this stability that we are getting in the club have something to do with the excellent results we are getting.It is good to see RAFA signing his contract and from reports we are getting our top players want to commit themselves to Anfield.Mickey Owen must be kicking himself when he sees how we are going and how he is heading for relegation. 
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #4: Mar 25, 2009 08:49:41 am
      Steven Gerrard is our Captain
      Steven Gerrard is a Red,
      Steven Gerrard plays for Liverpool
      A Scouser born and Bread.

Der rer rer rer rer rer rer ra!
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #5: Mar 25, 2009 09:26:31 am
      Fantastic stuff, not that I was even thinking of him not finishing his career at Anfield. Its just good for the club to have everyone eager to commit themselves.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,886 posts | 6818 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #6: Mar 25, 2009 11:00:27 am
      Great news that...sign it soon Stevie.  :mixed-smiley-009:

But WTF??? Inter Milan....are they F***ing joking?
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #7: Mar 25, 2009 11:09:11 am
      Was their any doubt...........
      MsGerrard
      Reply #8: Mar 25, 2009 12:14:33 pm
      Great stuff Stevie  ;D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Mar 25, 2009 12:17:59 pm
      He'll be with us as long as the sky is blue.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #10: Mar 25, 2009 12:22:41 pm
      He'll be with us as long as the sky is blue.

Not long then, by the standards of English weather! :D

Hope you mean your Aussie blue skies, Crouchy! ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Mar 25, 2009 12:31:16 pm
      Not long then, by the standards of English weather! :D

Hope you mean your Aussie blue skies, Crouchy! ;)

Ahh touche Ayrton :D

He'll be with us as long as the natural colour of the sky is blue.
      rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | -4 
      Reply #12: Mar 25, 2009 12:49:08 pm
      i don't ever see Stevie leaving. Over the years there has hundreds of reports linking him away and everytime he has denied it.
      He is fully committed and if whichever club is at the door i don't think they would even accept 100 million for him. He is so essential to us and i don't think we could find a better player in that position
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #13: Mar 25, 2009 01:16:42 pm
      Steven's priceless for the club. He's the symbol of what the club is all about. He sheds his blood and sweat for this and he will never leave. I wouldnt sell him at any price. It would be a big disgrace if any manager sold him away because yes, as I said, he's the face of the club. You walk on the streets, when its about Liverpool, its Stevie G. And theres only one stevie G, he belongs to us and he will be part of us forever. I dont know how are we gonna find a replacement for him when he retires, its just no one can replace what he has done for the club.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #14: Mar 25, 2009 01:39:25 pm
      Fantastic :)
      Let's see him reach 200 goals for us.
      Wouldn't bet against that happening before may either :lmao:
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #15: Mar 25, 2009 01:55:49 pm
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #16: Mar 25, 2009 03:07:47 pm
      Mickey Owen must be kicking himself when he sees how we are going and how he is heading for relegation. 

I actually have started to forget him. Now we've got Fernando Torres ;) . Michael Owen probably wished he had stayed.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #17: Mar 25, 2009 04:35:52 pm
      That's great news. After hearing Rafa's going to be staying for 5 more years, i'm really glad our top player is going to be staying longer as well.

I hope to be hearing about more contracts being signed. ;) Excepet for Hicks and Gillete, they better not be staying any longer.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #18: Mar 25, 2009 04:59:06 pm
      can't imagine liverpool without stevie g. he is the heart and soul of liverpool.  ;D way to go STEVIE!!
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #19: Mar 25, 2009 05:44:15 pm
      Good stuff, knew he wouldn't leave anyway, he loves the club too much!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #20: Mar 25, 2009 06:31:15 pm
      In the summer eh? And we don't have to worry about Parry flying off on his jollies as well!  ;)

Great news.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #21: Mar 25, 2009 07:34:02 pm
      More great news. ;D
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #22: Mar 26, 2009 06:46:36 am
      Nice one Stevie note to the men in suits get this sorted ASAP no messing about this time.
      bigbaz
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 389 posts |
      • A Proud Irish Scouser
      Reply #23: Mar 26, 2009 11:18:50 am

Not at all.. Stevie is a true red.. A fantastic leader and a living legend..  ;)

Quick Reply