Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Could another club have the success of United and Liverpool

Read 2085 times
      mad red
      • Forum Peter Beardsley
      • Started Topic

• 177 posts | -5 
      Could another club have the success of United and Liverpool
      Mar 18, 2009 08:12:11 pm
      Both clubs have to admit as clubs with huge history and tradition they were always likely to have large spells of domination . The question is could another club ever do what Liverpool and United have done in English football.

You look at clubs like Arsenal who seem to do well but to me seem a one season team they never seem to have enough for a solid era of success. I could only imagine a team with a vast amount of cash breaking our strangle hold on english football.

The so called big four consist of United , Liverpool , Chelsea and Arsenal but in reality around the world there are only two prominant clubs . I remember seeing a interview with Michael Essien where he said he had never ever heard of Chelsea during his youth .

Liverpool earned the right to be classed in the higher ranks of football elite with dominance for 2 decades and United though a huge club only gained access to the most succesfull clubs in the last 2 decades .

Could another English team break United and Liverpool's dominance or will both clubs continue to have success ?
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Could another club have the success of United and Liverpool
      Reply #1: Mar 18, 2009 08:27:13 pm

I could only imagine a team with a vast amount of cash breaking our strangle hold on English football.

Couldn't get anymore cash than City, and it hasn't done them much good up to now  ;)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Mar 19, 2009 09:23:17 am
      Couldn't get anymore cash than City, and it hasn't done them much good up to now  ;)

Exactly. There's having the cash, and using the cash properly. Players like Craig Bellamy are not going to win you a Premier League title.
      mad red
      • Forum Peter Beardsley
      • Started Topic

• 177 posts | -5 
      Reply #3: Mar 19, 2009 12:20:33 pm
      Exactly. There's having the cash, and using the cash properly. Players like Craig Bellamy are not going to win you a Premier League title.

To be honest I think Craig Bellamy is effective in a smaller club he has to be number 1 as soon as you put his place under threat he loses it.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #4: Mar 19, 2009 12:26:35 pm
      With the cash, you need history to be able to lure players.
      Why would the top players in the world reject going to City? I've heard No's from Kaka, Messi, Torres, Fabregas, Casillas and others.
      I'm 80% sure that they would have said yes had Liverpool been the one that made the offer.

I've seen the 'Most successful English team list' and we stand at number 1 with 58 trophies won.
      Man United are right behind with 55 trophies. The next club is Arsenal, only at 34, i think.
      At the moment, Liverpool would be the most successful English team with their record being threatened by Manchester United, whom I think have dominated the 1990s-2000s. It was Arsenal and Chelsea after that till 2006. Now, let's hope is our turn.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #5: Mar 19, 2009 12:38:31 pm
      The money makes a big difference as has been shown with United's dominence over the last ten years or so.
      You can't Count City out of it, as the moneys only just come to the club and you can only take one season at a time, but somehow I can't see it happening but we will have to wait and see !
      I Would say though that without bias, that of Liverpools Success, 99% has come about Before the money we now see in the game, so for ME It's a far bigger achievement, with the money that City, Chavski and Manure Have, we would leave them in our wake.
      I can virtually gaurantee that on a level playing field (Moneywise) Every star in the game Would choose to be at Anfield due soley to our history !
      mad red
      • Forum Peter Beardsley
      • Started Topic

• 177 posts | -5 
      Reply #6: Mar 19, 2009 12:46:45 pm
      With the cash, you need history to be able to lure players.
      Why would the top players in the world reject going to City? I've heard No's from Kaka, Messi, Torres, Fabregas, Casillas and others.
      I'm 80% sure that they would have said yes had Liverpool been the one that made the offer.

I've seen the 'Most successful English team list' and we stand at number 1 with 58 trophies won.
      Man United are right behind with 55 trophies. The next club is Arsenal, only at 34, I think.
      At the moment, Liverpool would be the most successful English team with their record being threatened by Manchester United, whom I think have dominated the 1990s-2000s. It was Arsenal and Chelsea after that till 2006. Now, let's hope is our turn.

Dont want to argue here but we won it in 1999-2000, 2000-2001, 2002-2003 , 2006-2007  , 2007-2008

Id say that 2000-2009 is our era myself maybe not as solid as 1990-2000 but its ours all the same.

Yeah I agree with the point you make that all of the lads mentioned would come to Liverpool if they had city's cash as your club holds huge respect and history world wide Id be pretty ignorent to deny that.

The management is the key if city got a Jose Mourinho character then players would come to join him . Mark Hughes doesnt carry much standing as a manager in europe he has no honours and lacks the european experience of a Jose or a Rafa or even a Martin O,niell .

So saying they did get a good manager who got them Champions league football these players you listed would sign for them would they have the respect of a player who plays for United or Liverpool no they wouldnt as city have'nt as much respect globely.

You only have to look at Chelsea loads of money spent on players and yeah a great side respected in Europe but nobody likes them abroad all you hear is United or Liverpool nobody cares about Chelsea they lose players tommorow and there gone .

Clubs on that level have spells in europe and domestic football in Italy they had Lazio , Fiorantina who both made the Champions league and in Spain they had Sevilla and now Villareal these teams are half decent in terms of size in there country . The thing they have in common is that they have good spells but once they fall they will fall drasticly and no one will care unlike when a giant club goes like Barcelona or Madrid or Ac milan or Juventus its big news world wide.

The elite in europe are in no order

Ac Milan
      Juventus
      Barcelona
      Real Madrid
      Manchester United
      Liverpool
      Bayern Munich
      Ajax

That is the elite in my eyes .

Second tier

Valencia
      Atletico Madrid
      Inter milan
      Roma
      Arsenal
      Chelsea
      Lyon
      Porto
      Benfica ( past record )
      Psv
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #7: Mar 19, 2009 01:05:59 pm
      Wouldnt say ajax is one of the elites,i would put inter milan into that spot.
      mad red
      • Forum Peter Beardsley
      • Started Topic

• 177 posts | -5 
      Reply #8: Mar 19, 2009 01:26:08 pm
      Wouldnt say ajax is one of the elites,I would put inter milan into that spot.

Ajax have won the Champions league 4 times so this makes the in the elite maybe struggling but there in there.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #9: Mar 19, 2009 02:44:46 pm
      Are we talking about just English clubs here?
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #10: Mar 19, 2009 02:47:49 pm
      I think so Pepe lad but some mad manc is trying to spread the field so to speak !
      mad red
      • Forum Peter Beardsley
      • Started Topic

• 177 posts | -5 
      Reply #11: Mar 19, 2009 03:28:51 pm
      Yeah we are talking english clubs but I got side tracked making a point about clubs standings within world football.
      Bowlesy88
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Reply #12: Mar 22, 2009 12:55:52 am
      Newcastle United

i think newcastle united have the potenial to be big, their the only team in newcastle, so BIG fanbase, n i reckon this is being of a big club, sure u can have rich owners, they bring in cash short term, but fo long term high money flows, u need a big fanbase. find a good owner, not mike ashley who will invest in a good manager they could do well, tho they will prob go down this season. like lfc the fans matter at newcastle, geordies can hound ppl out or make a manager unsackable.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,372 posts | 8621 
      Reply #13: Mar 22, 2009 03:26:14 am
      Newcastle United

i think newcastle united have the potenial to be big, their the only team in newcastle, so BIG fanbase, n i reckon this is being of a big club, sure u can have rich owners, they bring in cash short term, but fo long term high money flows, u need a big fanbase. find a good owner, not mike ashley who will invest in a good manager they could do well, tho they will prob go down this season. like lfc the fans matter at newcastle, geordies can hound ppl out or make a manager unsackable.

Always supposed to have potential, yet regularly win sweet fa. As for that big fanbase, where were they before they got promoted to the Premier League. 
      beerdog
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -3 
      Reply #14: Apr 03, 2009 04:20:13 pm
      i don't think it is purely about money. it's about also having an historic culture of success. an infastructure built over decades that breeds a mentality of winning

Quick Reply