Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

UFC

Read 150680 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: UFC
      Reply #575: Aug 17, 2016 09:49:43 pm
      Go to Spain on Friday so going to struggle seeing this.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #576: Aug 17, 2016 09:51:55 pm
      Is the fight in Sky or BT?.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #577: Aug 17, 2016 10:00:24 pm
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #578: Aug 17, 2016 10:15:39 pm
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 349 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #579: Aug 17, 2016 10:19:05 pm
      Conor vs Nate 2's pre fight press conference ended in chaos!

Waterbottle fight. I hope Conor knocks the living F**k out of Diaz.

Plenty of good fights that night though, it's a good card.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #580: Aug 18, 2016 01:44:22 pm
      Waterbottle fight. I hope Conor knocks the living f**k out of Diaz.

Plenty of good fights that night though, it's a good card.

Pretty good card. Top 3 fights are all great, don't sleep on Rick Story, he'll test Cowboy. Rumble vs Glover is a F***ing insane fight. Looking forward to Garbrandt fighting again, Lobov vs Avila will be interesting. Cooled on Larkin and Magny lately, neither has kicked on but should still be a good fight.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 349 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #581: Aug 18, 2016 08:15:21 pm
      Pretty good card. Top 3 fights are all great, don't sleep on Rick Story, he'll test Cowboy. Rumble vs Glover is a F***ing insane fight. Looking forward to Garbrandt fighting again, Lobov vs Avila will be interesting. Cooled on Larkin and Magny lately, neither has kicked on but should still be a good fight.

Really looking forward to the Glover fight myself!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #582: Aug 18, 2016 10:47:00 pm
      Looks staged to me, Conor stating there will be a 3rd fight between him & Diaz which means Conor will win & the final fight will generate silly money.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 349 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #583: Aug 18, 2016 11:45:06 pm
      Looks staged to me, Conor stating there will be a 3rd fight between him & Diaz which means Conor will win & the final fight will generate silly money.

See that's the way we have been brought up in the social media age; to think everything is scripted or not real.

Me, I'm sitting on the fence. According to journalists there was the likes of Dillon Danis getting ready to throw down, who was brought in to help with Conor's BJJ.  Seemed like it started via Nick Diaz to me though and erupted as Diaz was leaving with his team.

Scripted or not, they added a lot more to the PPV numbers no doubt, and will probably ensure those last 2700 seats don't go to waste.

What's interesting also is the fact that it's defend or vacate for Mc Gregor next. Aldo sandwich? Diaz @ 170 followed by Aldo @ 145 followed by Diaz @ 170 again.
      Only way a trilogy happens is if Mc Gregor wins though...
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #584: Aug 19, 2016 03:46:30 pm

If it was staged then it's gonna be a costly bit of theatre. The NSAC is gonna fine them both and word is a woman got hit by something and there's a lawsuit coming. UFC might follow the WWE business model a fair bit but if they're gonna work something, it ain't gonna be throwing bottles and cans in a room full of spectators and press.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #585: Aug 19, 2016 03:53:31 pm
      Not staged in the slightest. Too risky with the athletic commission having authority to ban people for things like that. That reaction from McGregor was real too. I think Diaz had every intention of walking out but no more than that was pre planned by anyone
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #586: Aug 19, 2016 04:02:25 pm
      Not staged in the slightest. Too risky with the athletic commission having authority to ban people for things like that. That reaction from McGregor was real too. I think Diaz had every intention of walking out but no more than that was pre planned by anyone

Yep. It's possible Diaz planned the initial water bottle as he said during media the Michael Johnson fight that if Conor talked to smack to him at a press conference he'd get a water bottle thrown at his head. Conor and Dana were not in on it at all.

Edit: Was actually later Diaz said it. 00:40 on the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqdCzdQPenM
      « Last Edit: Aug 19, 2016 05:02:39 pm by unwashedmasses »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #587: Aug 19, 2016 08:55:11 pm
      McGreggor needs to back up his words with a win this time, a 2nd defeat to Diaz could be the end of people taking him seriously IMO.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #588: Aug 19, 2016 09:08:17 pm
      Make or break for McGregor tomorrow. Win and he's back on track, lose and that pay day he loves so much will be hurt badly! Irregardless he has a very angry Aldo waiting for him, and that surely has to be the biggest challenge facing him in the immediate future.

Also intrigued by the potential GSP return... Loved the man at his best, it will be interesting to see where he is at now, hasn't been seen since UFC 167
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #589: Aug 19, 2016 09:48:33 pm
      I think a loss tomorrow would be mitigated by it being Diaz again, it's easy to write it off as Diaz having his number/bad match up style. If he lost tomorrow and then the next one he'd be struggling to talk people into the building for a while. His style and his gift of the gab will draw people back in with a win or two though, and his run to the title culminating with the 13 second KO of Aldo has already assured his place in MMA history.

I think tomorrow is more of a case of whether he can get back to selling himself as the future GOAT. If he won he could conceivably get a 155 title shot within the next 6-9 months though he'd struggle to keep that with Khabib and a Diaz trilogy fight on the horizon in that scenario.

Would love to see the return of GSP, whom I consider the current GOAT. I think you look at doing Woodley vs Wonderboy and using GSP returning to fight the winner to help promote the F**k out of it!

The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #590: Aug 19, 2016 10:33:47 pm
      I'm not sure, I think McGregor has backed himself into a corner in this one, he has to win. I think what we're all forgetting is that Diaz has had a full camp this time, he came in on short notice last time and it was McGregor that tired first. It will be interesting to see how both fighters conditioning is this time around.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 349 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #591: Aug 19, 2016 11:31:32 pm
      I'm not sure, I think McGregor has backed himself into a corner in this one, he has to win. I think what we're all forgetting is that Diaz has had a full camp this time, he came in on short notice last time and it was McGregor that tired first. It will be interesting to see how both fighters conditioning is this time around.

Also worth noting it seems that Conor has trained for Nate this time, rather than another fighter and altering training thereafter.

Got to defend the 145 either way... I see that at either Madison Square Garden in November or for UFC 207 on Dec 30th.

If he beats Diaz tomorrow and beats Aldo in the 145, I could see him getting a shot at the 155 title, but by then there's also a chance Diaz could have a shot at the 155 and if victorious could see a title fight for the trilogy. However, there are plenty of contenders in 155 right now. Ideally I'd like to see Khabib get a shot but have a feeling Dana might want the above to happen.

Also, delighted to see that there's a fight night card in Belfast in November so might get up to that one.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #592: Aug 20, 2016 12:10:07 am
      Also worth noting it seems that Conor has trained for Nate this time, rather than another fighter and altering training thereafter.

Got to defend the 145 either way... I see that at either Madison Square Garden in November or for UFC 207 on Dec 30th.

If he beats Diaz tomorrow and beats Aldo in the 145, I could see him getting a shot at the 155 title, but by then there's also a chance Diaz could have a shot at the 155 and if victorious could see a title fight for the trilogy. However, there are plenty of contenders in 155 right now. Ideally I'd like to see Khabib get a shot but have a feeling Dana might want the above to happen.

Also, delighted to see that there's a fight night card in Belfast in November so might get up to that one.

Yep, Khabib should get the shot in a sporting sense, though we know UFC will go for the name that sells more (which is Diaz/McGregor > Khabib). Though they do see Khabib as a big part of growing Russian fanbase.

Conor could vacate at 145, though I think he'd rather keep hold of it.

Saw a PPV announced in Canada too for early December, can't help but wonder if that's the date for a GSP return...
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 349 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #593: Aug 20, 2016 08:20:47 am
      Yep, Khabib should get the shot in a sporting sense, though we know UFC will go for the name that sells more (which is Diaz/McGregor > Khabib). Though they do see Khabib as a big part of growing Russian fanbase.

Conor could vacate at 145, though I think he'd rather keep hold of it.

Saw a PPV announced in Canada too for early December, can't help but wonder if that's the date for a GSP return...

Think he'd be a fool to vacate, when he's come out and said there's no issues for him when cutting, said he's always done it and can keep doing it. I do think he looks unhealthy at that weight though. Also, he'd lose a lot of respect for not defending anyway, so can't see him vacating.

I reckon his future lies in 155, but we shall see.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #594: Aug 20, 2016 10:10:46 am
      Think he'd be a fool to vacate, when he's come out and said there's no issues for him when cutting, said he's always done it and can keep doing it. I do think he looks unhealthy at that weight though. Also, he'd lose a lot of respect for not defending anyway, so can't see him vacating.

I reckon his future lies in 155, but we shall see.

Yea, I was just saying it's an option out there. His coach hates the 145 weight cut but realistically can't see Conor vacating. He'll probably jump between 145 and 155 until he loses the 145 belt or physically can't make the cut anymore.

Just watched the show weigh ins. The Irish have arrived! Wasn't sure they would so much as a lot of Irish fans got locked into going to 200.

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 349 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #595: Aug 20, 2016 08:40:44 pm
      Yea, I was just saying it's an option out there. His coach hates the 145 weight cut but realistically can't see Conor vacating. He'll probably jump between 145 and 155 until he loses the 145 belt or physically can't make the cut anymore.

Just watched the show weigh ins. The Irish have arrived! Wasn't sure they would so much as a lot of Irish fans got locked into going to 200.

The joys of the our credit unions, holidays loans! :laugh:

Good turnout at the weigh ins is right, see what happens. Not long now!
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 349 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #596: Aug 21, 2016 12:43:20 am
      Larkin with a great display. Fantastic oblique kicks and just pure attacking the leg! Enjoyed that one.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 349 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #597: Aug 21, 2016 02:41:34 am
      Garbrandt... Wow.

Quick Reply