Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

The Press Box

Read 1069 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,124 posts | 3370 
      The Press Box
      Mar 30, 2009 05:33:26 pm
      As everybody knows I enjoy writing, especially if I can try and be funny at the same time. So I'm gonna try me hand at the biggest jokers of them all - journalism.

BARonze, Silva and Goals

Liverpool paraded their two new summer signings at Wembley this afternoon in the Community Shield against fierce rivals Manchester United. Gareth Barry, wearing number 6 and David Silva in the coverted number 7 both started for the Premiership and Champions League champions as Liverpool walked out comfortable 3-0 winners.

The Reds opened the scoring with youngster Dani Pacheco heading home from a David Silva cross. The new number 7 impressed throughout, causing Rafael constant trouble. Silva's trickery and pace put the United back four under regular pressure and he got another assist to his name after coasting into the opposition's box and pulling the ball back to fellow new comer, Barry, who rifled a shot home.

The first half was as easy as anything for Rafa Benitez' men and it really was proof as to why Liverpool did the double last year and United ended up with just the Carling Cup and FA Cup. The gulf in class was there for all to see, esepcially from Silva. The new boy got his third assist of the afternoon when he once again walked past Rafael as if he wasn't there and this time set up Jay Spearing, who'd replaced Gareth Barry, and the local lad tapped the ball in from three yards out.

On the 80th minute Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez brought on Albert Riera to replace Silva who left Wembley to a standing ovation from the entire crowd. Even the United fans applauded him, well they would have had they not left to cry themselves to sleep in their cesspits. The game continued to be dominated by Liverpool and captain for the day, Martin Skrtel, had a goal chalked off for a foul. Skrtel thought the decision was a bit harsh but the decision was right after the Slovakian had chewed Rio Ferdinand's head off.

Alex Ferguson refused to come out of the dressing room, and it's believed he's still in there. So don't be surprised if he isn't on the touchline at Old Trafford next Saturday when United's Premiership campaign starts against Stoke. Benitez on the other hand couldn't speak enough, no? "We deserved to win and we proved why we are the greatest team in world football." was pretty much the message the Liverpool boss gave.

Liverpool fans will certainly be hoping both Silva and Barry can keep up this form for the season as Liverpool aim to win all six trophies. They've got one already, now just the other five and they can get to work on that a week today when they face the other half of Manchester. Liverpool are expected to field a much stronger side at Anfield although Darby, San Jose, Spearing, Pacheco, Nemeth and Anderson did themselves no harm today.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: The Press Box
      Reply #1: Mar 31, 2009 08:14:38 am
      That is a good story d.l.s. and it could believably come from the press.It would be fantastic if it were to come true, you could  imagine the delirium on the forum.Also there would be a serious  shortage of Manure W.U.Ms on the forum as there was after our 4-1 victory recently.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #2: Mar 31, 2009 08:31:29 am
      I like it, the echo may want to interview and steal it though, so claim the rights 1st. :action-smiley-057: :clap:I'll look out for the story.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,870 posts | 6804 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3: Apr 01, 2009 12:31:36 am
      Sorry mate, you'd never get a job with an English Newspaper...not enough Liverpool bashing  ;)

Quick Reply