Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Rafa Defends Zonal Marking

Read 6468 times
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Re: Rafa Defends Zonal Marking
      Reply #23: Apr 13, 2009 08:16:10 pm
      We do seem vunerable from set pieces though, i think zonal marking has got a lot to answer for.
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #24: Apr 13, 2009 08:28:05 pm
      i think is not about the system we use.its just that none of our players in the start 11 is good enough in the air.even know skrtel is a huge guy.he is still bad in the air defensivily.that is why torres is so worried when we defending.so he always want come back to defend when blackburn had  free kicks or corners.because he is like the best players in the air thats in the start 11.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #25: Apr 13, 2009 08:30:41 pm
      Sure if zonal marking is so good, why doesn't every manager in the english league use it. I'd prefer man to man any day with our best headers picking up there best headers.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #26: Apr 13, 2009 10:51:59 pm
      I'm not a fan of zonal marking. We don't conceed many goals as Reina's great record proves but that doesn't mean zonal marking works.

It doesn't show how many saves Reina makes from set pieces or how many free headers go over the bar or how many of the set pieces hit the first man. The goals we tend to conceed come by and large from set pieces. But it's the system we use and we're gonna keep using it so there's no point in complaining about it.

I used to think exactly as you do but I have lately started to think "zonal" is the better system. The big problem with man-for-man, I think, is that the central defenders can get dragged well out of position if they have to stay with one player so big holes can open up and these can be a problem if the first ball isn't cleared. Then you might have strikers or wingers following back marking someone and thus becoming the prime defence. Unless I am not understanding it all correctly, which is eminently possible.

That's how I see it now anyway, though I reserve the right to change my mind again anytime soon. ;D

Quick Reply