Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Chelsea v Liverpool CL QF 2nd Leg - Pre Match

Read 41241 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: The second leg
      Reply #23: Apr 10, 2009 10:41:09 pm
      Haha again, I love the positivity of this thread, really great to see :).
      MsGerrard
      Reply #24: Apr 11, 2009 12:39:23 am
      There's no doubt about it, it's going to be hard, very hard.

But when has Liverpool ever done things the easy way?

You know how they love to make us scream, keep us on tenderhooks till the final whistle, it's edge of the seat stuff, so hang on to your hats cos it's going to be one hell of a bumpy ride  down at the bridge.

London  Stamford  Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down,
      London  Stamford  Bridge is falling down
      Poor old Chelsea  :laugh:

Noting is Impossible when you follow the Mighty Reds Of Europe

BELIEVE
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,012 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #25: Apr 11, 2009 12:48:10 am
      It's going to be a difficult task but not imposibble, there's a saying in my country that says "Hope is the last thing that is lost"

COME ON REDS!!!!!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #26: Apr 11, 2009 01:47:31 am
      I agree with DLS here. Let's sort Blackburn out first. Massive game!

I can understand why Brian started this thread. But the focus for me is purely the league until we meet the chavs again.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #27: Apr 11, 2009 02:17:11 am
      Right us off at your peril Chelsea but this is the 2nd leg and will be much better than the 1st leg and by the time we are through with you, you wont have a leg to stand on!

The team just needs to do what they done at OT, get in their faces and attack from the off, 3 goals needed and we will have about 95, 96 minutes to do so including injury time, could easily get more in that time.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #28: Apr 11, 2009 02:43:12 am

I can understand why Brian started this thread. But the focus for me is purely the league until we meet the chavs again.

I'd consider my focus to be mainly on the league anyway mate. I think for most, including myself, the CL is the bit on the side.

It'd be nice if we won it as well as the league, but it's not essential.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #29: Apr 11, 2009 02:59:22 am
      I think focus is on the league as well, currently there is no doubt we stand a better stead because even if we go through against Chelsea, we've got Barca to face. So in a sense, yes, our job's in the CL gonna be tough. But the CL really, adds extra motivation and signifiance because we can make it a hat-trick of Rome wins there.

But then again, not seeing Liverpool win the league before pains me already.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #30: Apr 11, 2009 04:58:46 am
      It was Tim Cahill who showed Chelsea the way to unlock us, and Chelsea took note and delivered the medicine in a double dose.  9 corners conceded in the first leg, giving them 9 chances to expose the weakness.
      It is my firm belief that we need Hyppia in the 6 yard box at both ends in the second leg, to give us a chance in the air.  AND JUST AS IMPORTANTLY THERE IS NO TERRY TO THWART HIM.

This match will not be a Prem League arm wrestle, where the ball spends 90% of the time in the middle third of the pitch, it cant be, and it wont be, because thats how Chelsea would love it to be.  We will attack, attack, and attack, leaving them to decide whether to park the bus, protect their lead and let us come on to them, or counter attack.

In this type of match you would expect many corners, and to be honest Hyypia is our best prospect of keeping them out, and providing an extra threat on our corners. We need a high scoring contest, and lets face it after recently banging in 13 goals in 3 matches, we have a great capacity to deliver in such circumstances. 

As long as we attack them and go for it I will be happy, we know we will need a bit of luck, but in our favour is that last time Terry was out for a while Chelsea struggled defensively, and Hyppia is just the man to exploit that weakness, as well as providing a contest in the air in our defending of set pieces.   
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #31: Apr 11, 2009 07:20:52 am
      I have said in the post match inquest to throw on Agger for Lucas at half time. I thought Agger could attack the high balls from corners MUCH better than Lucas who, I think just gets wrestled off far too easily. This game needs some sorting out, I was screaming for Agger on for Lucas which unfortunately didnt happen.

9 corners and 9 chances to expose our weaknesses. Well said that mate. We need some sorting out to do. 1st goal, 2 players were marking space, Alonso followed but just let go of Ivanovic. Wtf. Killer blow to his morale and from then on he never really recovered his passing ability and abililty to stay focussed. We need more attackers to push you against Essien as well, Gerrard was too easily stiflied, that was the key battle which we lost really badly in. 2 players to really play balls around Essien would mean we dominate the mdifield.

As my history teacher said : 'In a soccer match you dominate the centre you win the game.'

And that was exactly what happened in the first leg.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,118 posts | 3370 
      Reply #32: Apr 11, 2009 06:57:49 pm
      Well now Blackburn is over and done with we can get our teeth in to this game.

I think Chelsea are capable of putting another two or three past us especially if we go gung ho and leave ourselves exposed. That's what I'd prefer though, if we're to go out then I'd rather we went out 6-1 on aggergarate but fighting instead of 3-1 but played at a damage limitations style.

We need goals so we need our attacking players on form. That for me means Xabi in the middle, Stevie and Nando as the front two. The wide men is me real worry but I think Benayoun has to start because I don't feel any confidence with Kuyt and Riera. Aurelio will be back in the side from today's win and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Skrtel return.

But whoever is picked needs to be on their game. We can't afford passengers at Stamford Bridge. We need to move the ball around quickly to try and create a bit of space for our lads. If Chelsea score first it changes nothing, we still need three.

F**k it, we will do it. I fancy our chances against any side in any situation or at least me heart does. We're not gonna get through with people not being confident so we all have to be and I for one now am. This is Liverpool Football Club and this is what we're made for, to come back from the brink to steal the show and prove once again how F***ing good we are. We're not gonna lie down and roll over, we're gonna fight till the last. Blood, sweat and tears from our lads to progress to a mouth watering tie with Barcelona.

Come on Reds!!!!
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #33: Apr 11, 2009 07:15:38 pm
      chelsea rested some of their big girls late in the game against bolton today.probebly they are gona play like the way they played at anfield.we should have both sami and agger at center back!carragher to RB.insua at LB to give some pace.kuyt LW.Babel RW(if he make it.heard he was injured today?!).
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #34: Apr 11, 2009 07:17:40 pm

Well Blackburn got well and truly sorted out now onto Tuesday :D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,118 posts | 3370 
      Reply #35: Apr 11, 2009 07:24:01 pm
      chelsea rested some of their big girls late in the game against bolton today.probebly they are gona play like the way they played at anfield.we should have both sami and agger at center back!carragher to RB.insua at LB to give some pace.kuyt LW.Babel RW(if he make it.heard he was injured today?!).

Arbeloa was our best outfield player on Wednesday and doesn't deserved to be dropped and Insua isn't in the Champions League squad.
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #36: Apr 11, 2009 07:25:42 pm
      oh... put arby on the left?
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #37: Apr 11, 2009 07:54:08 pm
      I believe we can do it, i really do, Chelsea were shocking at the back today, and we can definitely score 3 in 90 minutes!

Lump the ball into their box and get an early goal and we can do it!
      red kop
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 179 posts | -8 
      Reply #38: Apr 11, 2009 08:07:52 pm
      It was Tim Cahill who showed Chelsea the way to unlock us, and Chelsea took note and delivered the medicine in a double dose.  9 corners conceded in the first leg, giving them 9 chances to expose the weakness.
      It is my firm belief that we need Hyppia in the 6 yard box at both ends in the second leg, to give us a chance in the air.  AND JUST AS IMPORTANTLY THERE IS NO TERRY TO THWART HIM.

This match will not be a Prem League arm wrestle, where the ball spends 90% of the time in the middle third of the pitch, it cant be, and it wont be, because thats how Chelsea would love it to be.  We will attack, attack, and attack, leaving them to decide whether to park the bus, protect their lead and let us come on to them, or counter attack.

In this type of match you would expect many corners, and to be honest Hyypia is our best prospect of keeping them out, and providing an extra threat on our corners. We need a high scoring contest, and lets face it after recently banging in 13 goals in 3 matches, we have a great capacity to deliver in such circumstances. 

As long as we attack them and go for it I will be happy, we know we will need a bit of luck, but in our favour is that last time Terry was out for a while Chelsea struggled defensively, and Hyppia is just the man to exploit that weakness, as well as providing a contest in the air in our defending of set pieces.  

Well said mate .
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #39: Apr 11, 2009 08:18:00 pm
      It's going to be tough but impossible, never. All I hope is their players think the job is done and dusted but knowing Hiddink he will have them ready for what could be one helluva game.

We will score and we will get a few I am sure of that, also I think at the end there will not be much between us. Rafa will have an attacking team out to score more goals than them and it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see this game go into injury time again.

Hiddink has all the choices to make, and us we know what we have to do, we know our goal and our minds will be totally fixed on that end. What will hiddink do, will he try to hit us on the break at home or will he try and finish us of by going out to score so we can hit him on the counter attack.

I would like Rafa to stay with Agger, he has the ability to score from his head and foot, he scored a good goal today and it's one more goal option. Insua is another I like although the difference in Chelsea compared to Blackburn is like night and day but I hope Insua keeps his place.

The rest of the team will probably remain except Mascha for Lucas and maybe Aurelio will get the nod over Riera to make the middle more compact and with Mascha back it will help a lot, we missed him Wednesday and he is one we can't do without. Xabi to get his passing going and get us moving and with Kuyt wide right we will not want for for someone getting in their faces, and on the right with Kuyt the one guy who played pretty well Arbeloa, another who likes to go forward

Stevie G, If fit will play just behind Nando and we all know how deadly they are together when it all clicks. Yes we can win this with room to spare but we must take the openings the team creates because if we do we will win.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #40: Apr 11, 2009 08:41:32 pm
      The result flattered Chelsea, I think they well and truly know they are not 3 goals better. We just have to play with the hearts we have, get into their skins and stomp them into the ground. Actually, I am very optimistic I just find it a better way, going through in the record books. With our backs fairly against the wall, it just makes it much better when we go through.

But discipline is essential to complete the job.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,442 posts | 2843 
      Reply #41: Apr 11, 2009 08:50:52 pm

Disagree.

We had a bad day at the office and if you look at the chances both teams had, the first leg could have ended up 6-1.

I'm just glad we're still in this tie.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Chelsea v Liverpool - CL quarter final 2nd leg
      Reply #42: Apr 11, 2009 08:56:21 pm
      Well Blackburn got well and truly sorted out now onto Tuesday :D

;D Indeed!!

People are already discussing it now so title changed.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #43: Apr 11, 2009 09:24:58 pm
      Well we will go into this game more confident than Chelsea because seeing as they apparently never concede 3 at home until today they know we will have the belief of 'If Bolton can do it then we can!'

Usually more often than not when a team goes a long time undefeated like United this season and Arsenal a few years back, when they do lose another defeat follows in their next game and it's the same with goals; a team goes a long time without letting in more than 1 or 2 or none at all then when more are scored it does knock the confidence and gets lodged in the mind.

I am confident that we can do it, after all its just 3 goals and we have 90 odd mins to get them.
      lizzieroz
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      Reply #44: Apr 11, 2009 09:26:06 pm
      Can't wait for the second leg.  Had to change my prediction in the prediction league for the first time.  I'd put that they'd win 1-0 at home, after we'd thrashed them at Anfield, so I've had to change that so that we qualify!!

Mash will be back and tw*t features Terry will be missing.  Bolton can put three passed them today, so we should be able to put half a dozen past them!!

In Rafa We Trust

:scarf:
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,853 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #45: Apr 11, 2009 09:53:30 pm
      What a match this is gonna be !!! reds to come back to chelski and win 3-0 ...then in the second half ....pepe reina to take a pen and score !! i just know all the players will be up for this one ,and if any players read this message i'd say do justice to yourself and put a 110 % into this game for yourselves and the best fans in football ynwa

Quick Reply