Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 7th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Do you want this transfer to go ahead, and at what cost?

Yes, I want Johnson regardless of the price-tag
      33 (17.3%)
      Yes, but £17 million is too expensive for our budget
      134 (70.2%)
      No, I don't want/rate Johnson
      24 (12.6%)

Total Members Voted: 190

Glen Johnson (Portsmouth to Liverpool)

Read 62753 times
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Re: Glen Johnson (Portsmouth to Liverpool)
      Reply #782: Jun 23, 2009 12:49:40 pm
      Its just said on SSN that Rafas defended paying the £17m for Johnson by saying 'Sometimes you have to pay a little more when you're competing against the top four clubs in the market. We wanted a player of Premiership quality and hes English with mind to the new Champions League regulations'.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #783: Jun 23, 2009 12:50:26 pm
      Its just said on SSN that Rafas defended paying the £17m for Johnson by saying 'Sometimes you have to pay a little more when you're competing against the top four clubs in the market. We wanted a player of Premiership quality and hes English with mind to the new Champions League regulations'.

Aye, says that more or less in the article mate.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #784: Jun 23, 2009 12:52:48 pm
      Quote from Rafa
      "We have a plan," added Benitez

redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #785: Jun 23, 2009 12:55:01 pm
      I see the point in going for English players because I dont want to be throwing random reserves into the CL squad. That'll reduce the quality of the squad. English players are overpriced, you've got to admit it and you'll need them more since you're a top 4 club. I'll say its an essential signing that will prove us in a good stead for the future, especially if UEFA make any adjustments to the quota in the CL etc.

And your point ayrton? ;)
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #786: Jun 23, 2009 01:01:45 pm

That I pity the fool who messes with us in the transfer market.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #787: Jun 23, 2009 01:05:38 pm
      That I pity the fool who messes with us in the transfer market.

>:D - Liverpool FC
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #788: Jun 23, 2009 01:08:54 pm
      Hahaha, Nice A-Team reference, Speaking of "the plan" Interesting words from Rafa one more player if necessary, wonder what that's supposed to mean. A replacement for someone maybe or could it be Silva. If Rafa can keep hold of Xabi,Masch and Arbeloa AND sign Silva he would've done a very good job.
      I'm confident in Rafa's plan though.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #789: Jun 23, 2009 01:15:22 pm

As long as it's not a cunning plan!
      :lmao:
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #790: Jun 23, 2009 01:30:19 pm
      As long as it's not a cunning plan!

Wasn't that Parry?

Baldrick once spent £100,000 on his dream turnip - a bit like what Parry did when he told Moores to go for the American owners.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,166 posts | 3388 
      Reply #791: Jun 23, 2009 01:39:21 pm

Wasn't that Parry?

Baldrick once spent £100,000 on his dream turnip - a bit like what Parry did when he told Moores to go for the American owners.

Yeah but if got £500,000 he'd buy himself a really big turnip in the country :laugh:
      Kizzie
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #792: Jun 23, 2009 02:28:20 pm
      The deal for Glen Johnson is definitely way over priced. The only thing i like about this deal is that he opted to come to Liverpool ahead of all the other clubs that were chasing him.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      Reply #793: Jun 23, 2009 03:58:24 pm
      £17m is a lot of Money for Johnson, and we all think that we need some cover for Torres before we spend our limited funds on a defender, but

He is only 24 years old.
      He wants to come to us and not go back to the money bags of Chelsea.
      He is one of the First choice defenders, for Capellos England, a squad that we knew could on paper be one of the best, and at present undefeated, with a 100% record in the WC Qualifying group.
      He is attack minded.
      He is English, important if this 6+5 thing is implemented. I remember when you could only have 4 non ENGLISH players in Europe, Scots, Welsh & Irish were not allowed, boy did we have some rubbish.
      If Sami had cost the equivalent 10yrs ago would we now stay he was overpriced?
      So give the guy a chance, you never know he may score more than Keane did for us.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      Reply #794: Jun 23, 2009 04:11:10 pm
      Benitez unfazed by Johnson price
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8102625.stm
      Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has defended his decision to pay £17.5m for Portsmouth defender Glen Johnson.

The England right-back agreed on Monday to move to Anfield and he is expected to sign his contract this week.

Benitez said: "Sometimes you have to spend a little bit more. You can't compete in the top four of the Premier League unless you spend some money.

"We were looking for a quality British player because of the new Champions League rules. He fits both categories."

Chelsea and Manchester City were also interested but it is thought Anfield was his preferred destination.

Johnson had limited first-team chances at Chelsea in his spell there, but established himself in the England team after his move to Portsmouth in 2007.

It is understood Pompey still owe Liverpool £7m from the deal that saw them buy Peter Crouch last summer.

A Liverpool statement said: "We have reached an agreement with Portsmouth and Glen Johnson for the transfer of the player to Anfield."

Johnson will be Liverpool's first signing this summer and as the club are operating under financial restrictions, boss Rafael Benitez is likely to sell Andrea Dossena to help fund the deal.
      Portsmouth paid £4m for 24-year-old right-back Johnson, who emerged as Benitez's prime target after having an outstanding season at Fratton Park last season.

Spanish defender Alvaro Arbeloa could also be sacrificed to raise cash towards the Johnson deal, with Real Madrid being linked with an £8m move.

Johnson signed a new four-year deal at Portsmouth in January, but club officials accepted they could not stand in his way if he was offered the opportunity to move to a club playing in the Champions League.

Meanwhile, Reds midfielder Sebastien Leto is on the verge of a move to Greek side Panathinaikos.

The Argentine, who joined Liverpool from Lanus for around £2m in 2007, was on loan at Olympiacos last season, but he has grown impatient waiting for them to make their move.

"I think that the possibilities to play at Panathinaikos next season right now are more than 90%," said the winger.

"I have been waiting for something from Olympiacos all these weeks but they didn't make a move to buy me so far."

Something we have not been doing, spending that little extra for what we actully need.

So possibly Dossena out, but did not play that much, Leto did not play for us at all, and Arbeloa, remember that game against WBA, maybe you need to be 100%, 100% of the time?
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #795: Jun 23, 2009 07:56:52 pm
      I am personally very happy with signing Johnson. I think that, although he is expensive, you have to expect to pay a lot of money for someone that young, English and of that quality. Its very important that we sign English players, especially with this 6+5 rule being talked about. Anyway, no harm to Arby, but Johnson is a lot better than what we currently have. A very exciting player and i don't think it will affect the rest of Rafas buying as he is only really giving up 10m (seeing that Pompey owe us for Crouchie). Now, however, we need to go for 1 or 2 attacking player, such as a Left Winger (Silva- he has to be our top priority now) and a striker (i haven't a clue who to go for- with Villa being too expensive, who do we go for? Hopefully not Lavezzi). Welcome to Anfield Glen- hopefully you will have a Premiership medal or two in the near future ;)
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #796: Jun 23, 2009 09:27:39 pm
      I am personally very happy with signing Johnson. I think that, although he is expensive, you have to expect to pay a lot of money for someone that young, English and of that quality. Its very important that we sign English players, especially with this 6+5 rule being talked about. Anyway, no harm to Arby, but Johnson is a lot better than what we currently have. A very exciting player and I don't think it will affect the rest of Rafas buying as he is only really giving up 10m (seeing that Pompey owe us for Crouchie). Now, however, we need to go for 1 or 2 attacking player, such as a Left Winger (Silva- he has to be our top priority now) and a striker (I haven't a clue who to go for- with Villa being too expensive, who do we go for? Hopefully not Lavezzi). Welcome to Anfield Glen- hopefully you will have a Premiership medal or two in the near future ;)

Dito
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #797: Jun 23, 2009 10:39:51 pm
      Is it not done yet!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #798: Jun 23, 2009 10:56:46 pm

I think i am right in saying that no deals can be completed until the 1st July (opening of the Transfer Window). But it is basically a done deal.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #799: Jun 23, 2009 11:03:30 pm
      Alot of deals aint done yet like Kaka, Ronaldo..... i think the window properly opens on 1st July
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #800: Jun 23, 2009 11:05:33 pm
      Ahh that makes sense, cheers.

So basically when it gets to the 1st of July, all of these deals can be completed and confirmed?
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #801: Jun 23, 2009 11:11:38 pm
      Ahh that makes sense, cheers.

So basically when it gets to the 1st of July, all of these deals can be completed and confirmed?

Yeah, including David Silva to Liverpool for 20m ;)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #802: Jun 23, 2009 11:13:29 pm

Yeah, including David Silva to Liverpool for 20m ;)

Aye, well we can hope!
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #803: Jun 23, 2009 11:21:05 pm
      Hope/ dream
      musu
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 85 posts | -1 
      Reply #804: Jun 23, 2009 11:32:17 pm
      well, now that Valencia refused to sell Villa to Madrid, maybe Rafa can call in a few favors and get him for 20 mil  :lmao:

Quick Reply