Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Do you want this transfer to go ahead, and at what cost?

Yes, I want Johnson regardless of the price-tag
      33 (17.3%)
      Yes, but £17 million is too expensive for our budget
      134 (70.2%)
      No, I don't want/rate Johnson
      24 (12.6%)

Total Members Voted: 190

Glen Johnson (Portsmouth to Liverpool)

Read 62480 times
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Re: Glen Johnson (Portsmouth to Liverpool)
      Reply #805: Jun 24, 2009 06:20:25 am
      Hey guys I know this is a little off topic but Rafa said he bought Glen Johnson due to new UEFA champions league rules , what are the qualifications for a squad ... does this mean that the 6+5 rule is going be used next season ?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,678 posts | 6975 
      Reply #806: Jun 24, 2009 08:22:06 am
      Hey guys I know this is a little off topic but Rafa said he bought Glen Johnson due to new UEFA champions league rules , what are the qualifications for a squad ... does this mean that the 6+5 rule is going be used next season ?

The only rule I know about was the same as last year - having 5 players in the 'squad' who are English or have done their youth training at an English club.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #807: Jun 24, 2009 09:05:10 am
      The only rule I know about was the same as last year - having 5 players in the 'squad' who are English or have done their youth training at an English club.

Wasn't it 8? I've thought it was 8 but I might have been mistaken. Anyone willing to clear this up for me? :)
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #808: Jun 24, 2009 09:13:05 am
      I believe it is 8 players in a squad of 25 who have been "locally trained"
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #809: Jun 24, 2009 09:26:33 am
      I believe it is 8 players in a squad of 25 who have been "locally trained"

Getting closer.

I've had a look to get a bit of precision on this, and it seems to be 4 players who have been trained by our club and a further 4 who have been trained by us or another English club.

Not necessarily English players, but players who have come through English youth academies.

Details here: UEFA.com
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #810: Jun 24, 2009 12:57:54 pm
      Aha I see.
      OptimusRobbo
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 161 posts |
      Reply #811: Jun 24, 2009 01:07:14 pm
      Im happy we bought Johnson! i used to live on the same street as him when he was younger played football with him once and now hes playing for my team :D this is such great news for him!.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,128 posts | 3375 
      Reply #812: Jun 24, 2009 01:25:16 pm
      Getting closer.

I've had a look to get a bit of precision on this, and it seems to be 4 players who have been trained by our club and a further 4 who have been trained by us or another English club.

Not necessarily English players, but players who have come through English youth academies.

Isn't it, at least, four who've been at your club for three years before the age of 21? So it can be players like Fabregas and I think Insua may be able to qualify as one of our "homegrown" players but I'm not certain.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #813: Jun 24, 2009 01:28:42 pm
      Getting closer.

4 local lads, that's got to be Gerrard, Carra, Spearing and probably Kelly/Darby then. As for the other 4, one of them is Johnson but any idea who fit the requirements for the other 3 slots? Does Insua count in it? I'm not sure if he came through the academy but he came through the ressies. I think DLS you've got it spot on. If you play FM then you should know the rules perfectly well because they follow the rules with relation to the CL quota.

You can go ask Gow on this he is wise on this now after encountering that nice problem in the game.. ;)
      albertdock
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #814: Jun 24, 2009 01:32:53 pm
      His price is off the financial Richter scale
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,128 posts | 3375 
      Reply #815: Jun 24, 2009 01:34:32 pm
      Our 8 "homegrown" players for next year's Champions League should be

Gerrard
      Carragher
      Searing
      Darby
      Kelly
      Insua (if he counts)
      Nemeth (if he counts)
      Johnson

If Jimmy Insua and Krissy Nemeth don't count, then it's likely to be Stevie Irwin and David Martin (if he isn't sold) as our third choice keeper.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #816: Jun 24, 2009 04:00:46 pm
      But that means we would be including like 4 or so young lads in the team that would be obviously a lil shaky to begin with, but still if they count I don't mind, they've shown they have 'quality' as Rafa seems to love to say.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,128 posts | 3375 
      Reply #817: Jun 24, 2009 06:19:46 pm
      But that means we would be including like 4 or so young lads in the team that would be obviously a lil shaky to begin with, but still if they count I don't mind, they've shown they have 'quality' as Rafa seems to love to say.

But that's the rule UEFA have set.

If we go out and sign Downing, Wheater and Lennon then our eight players would be

Locally homegrown: Gerrard, Carragher, Spearing, Darby
      Other homegrown: Johnson, Downing, Wheater, Lennon.

We have to register eight British homegrown players which, at least, four must be locally homegrown. If we don't have other homegrown players, like Johnson, in our ranks than we have to register our youngsters if we want to take part in UEFA's competitions. That doesn't mean we have to play them, that doesn't mean they have to be in our squad. I think it's 26 players that have to be registered and each Champions League squad is 18 players so six, more than likely the youngsters, will be missing out each time.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #818: Jun 24, 2009 07:17:31 pm
      Isn't it, at least, four who've been at your club for three years before the age of 21? So it can be players like Fabregas and I think Insua may be able to qualify as one of our "homegrown" players but I'm not certain.

Yeah, four who have "trained", as they put it, for three years prior to the age of 21 for us, a further four (if we don't have eight from our academy) can have been brought through another English club's academy.

Gerrard
      Carragher
      Searing
      Darby
      Kelly
      Insua (if he counts)
      Nemeth (if he counts)
      Johnson

If Jimmy Insua and Krissy Nemeth don't count, then it's likely to be Stevie Irwin and David Martin (if he isn't sold) as our third choice keeper.

Not bad, though I'd switch Searing for Spearing. ;)
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #819: Jun 24, 2009 07:20:12 pm
      Steve Irwin?

ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #820: Jun 24, 2009 07:27:30 pm

Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead.

Except he was called Steve. :-\
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #821: Jun 24, 2009 08:54:37 pm
      Rafa signed Johnson simply because he was English, not that he didn't want him, it's just he thought the price was a little to high. What have we come to, uefa in their wisdom have again decided that we must have four home grown and four that we have or have been trained in this country. A hole in one, for the uefa hierarchy and they know which clubs will be hardest hit. Some will agree with uefa, some won't.

Last year though it never stopped the EPL getting three into the last four, so ready yourself for more rules changes if again this country gets three of the last four. I know it may force some clubs into action and some will say our club could do with pushing down that road, thing is, Rafa has been working toward that goal for the last two to three years, we are not where he wants us to be, but we are getting their and perhaps in two years time everything will be different here then, and we will be ready...

I go along with the eight players already mentioned by (Ayrton 77) plus 18 from the squad, not much difference really but it wouldn't surprise me if more rule changes are in the pipeline......
      twobe12
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts |
      Reply #822: Jun 24, 2009 09:15:30 pm
      I hope he is worth the money we have paid for him !! Is he World Class? All I can say is Rafas judgement is normally Bang on the Money !!
      His price is off the financial Richter scale
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #823: Jun 24, 2009 09:37:18 pm

Gerrard
      Carragher
      Searing
      Darby
      Kelly
      Insua (if he counts)
      Nemeth (if he counts)
      Johnson

Insua does count, or at least will count next year.
      He came here when he was 18, didn't he?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,678 posts | 6975 
      Reply #824: Jun 24, 2009 10:32:04 pm
      £17M might be expensive but listen everyone - the lad can play in net as well!

Bonza.

In Chelsea's FA Cup fifth round clash against Newcastle in the latter season, Blues' goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini was sent off late in the match for a tackle outside the box. Johnson went in goal (as Chelsea had used all three substitutions and couldn't call on Petr Cech from the bench) and saved the free-kick and kept a clean sheet. However a goal had already been scored by Newcastle and they held on to win 1-0 and knock Chelsea out of the cup.

With Itandje going, Cavalieri interesting Benfica, and Mihaylov being chased by the Mafia this is excellent news.  :f_whistle:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,414 posts | 8646 
      Reply #825: Jun 24, 2009 10:42:54 pm
      and Mihaylov being chased by the Mafia

I've seen that one, although that girl is a bit of a looker.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,128 posts | 3375 
      Reply #826: Jun 24, 2009 11:57:10 pm
      Yeah, four who have "trained", as they put it, for three years prior to the age of 21 for us, a further four (if we don't have eight from our academy) can have been brought through another English club's academy.

Not bad, though I'd switch Searing for Spearing. ;)

Nah JJ Searing, a six foot eight centre forward. A much better option :laugh:
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #827: Jun 25, 2009 11:13:20 am
      You know this 6+5 rule would work out for us really well

If we were in the Spanish League ;D

Quick Reply