Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

King Kenny in Benitez talks

Read 16534 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      King Kenny in Benitez talks
      Apr 18, 2009 04:39:09 am
      Kenny Dalglish is set for a sensational return to Liverpool Football Club.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez wants his legendary predecessor as a key new part of his backroom staff and moves are already afoot to create a position for Dalglish.

Benitez has raised the matter with American club owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett and would like to tie up a deal at the earliest possible opportunity.

The ECHO understands preliminary talks have already taken place between Benitez and Dalglish and although nothing has been finalised the discussions are believed to have gone well.

Benitez would like to give Dalglish a roving role which would see the 58-year-old divide his time between the Academy in Kirkby, Melwood and Anfield but with a particular emphasis on an advisorial role on youth development.

The Liverpool manager recently ordered a review of the Academy which is being headed up by former chief scout Frank McParland as he seeks to ensure more young players of potential first team standard are produced than is currently the case.

Should Dalglish be recruited it would provide a shot in the arm for the Academy which has come in for plenty of criticism in recent years.

Dalglish has not been employed in a senior football role since leaving his position as director of football at Celtic in July 2000.

The Kop hero has been linked with several managerial jobs since then but his strong links with Merseyside and his charity work on behalf of his wife’s Marina Dalglish Appeal have meant he has not been enticed into taking employment at any of the clubs which have shown an interest in acquiring his services.

But the lure of Liverpool would be strong for Dalglish who served the club as both player and manager from 1977 until 1991.

When he quit Anfield in February 1991 saying he needed to take a break from football the shockwaves reverberated throughout the sport with Liverpool fans being distraught at the loss of the man they refer to as “King Kenny”.

He later admitted his regret that he was not offered a return to Liverpool in the immediate aftermath of his sudden departure but 18 years later he could now finally be given the opportunity to reignite his love affair with the club he joined from Celtic.

It is now up to Hicks and Gillett to approve the proposed move and should this happen it would require only the agreement of personal terms for Dalglish to complete a sensational return to Anfield.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2009/04/18/king-kenny-in-benitez-talks-100252-23412817/

I loved when we had Sammy Lee back at the club, now to have King Kenny too is amazing :D
      « Last Edit: Apr 18, 2009 04:56:03 am by Diego LFC »
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: King Kenny in Benitez talks
      Reply #1: Apr 18, 2009 04:47:55 am
      I'm physic, I F***ing knew it.  Had a vision of this the other week.

Absolutely fantastic news for the club.  Can't wait.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #2: Apr 18, 2009 04:54:41 am
      Interesting move, seems like Rafa is trying to bring back a lot of the Liverpool players of the past. Good thing to have people who can share their experience and teach the players from lesson they learn during their playing days.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Apr 18, 2009 05:00:04 am
      I can't cope. I'll believe it when I see it.

If it ends up true though, I'll be one happy red to see King Kenny back doing work for LFC.

It's weird though. Only before was I looking at a picture in the picture thread. It was like the old and the young and I was thinking if we could combine the knowledge.....

King Kenny, Ronnie Moran, Rafa Benitez and Torres.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #4: Apr 18, 2009 05:35:05 am
      King Kenny back behind the scenes at Anfield?! Working hand in hand with Benitez, Sammy and the others?!

This is truly fantastic news! As you say, Kenny, combining the knowledge of these greats can only be a huge step forward for the club. When you consider the progress we've already been making under Benitez, this could be an added push, a massive one, in the right direction.

I really feel the club is advancing tremendously, and with Chelsea's managers changing every 5 minutes, and Ferguson severely rattled over these last couple of months, we could seriously be looking at the beginning of a Liverpool rise to dominance.

I appreciate I'm perhaps going too far with that previous statement, but it's just the feeling I have at hearing this news.

With Benitez's new contract and those of many key players, many of the behind the scenes issues that have been hindering the club for too long are starting to look lik a thing of the past. This new unity and common pulling in the right direction are not only a breath of fresh air, but a return to the successful formula that served us so well in past decades.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #5: Apr 18, 2009 06:51:21 am
      Wow, I would be really happy to see King Kenny working in Anfield again.
      Surely it would make a difference to all the players as well knowing it's King Kenny!!
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #6: Apr 18, 2009 07:28:59 am
      Kenny should be a part in this club he gave so much and we owe him so much he is truely a great man and a man of outstanding knowledge as reguards english football, to have Kenny back as a major part of this club could only benifit us.Rafa has probably made one of the biggest decisions of his managerial career in asking Kenny to be a part of this great club again,I for one like most people would love to see the great man back, Anfield is his home and home is where he should be.

My vote for Kenny is a big YES.
      My vote for Rafa is a big YES.
      KidBlink56
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #7: Apr 18, 2009 07:39:15 am
      No way. Dalglish? That's awesome. Gotta hope this is comes through to be true. We could use Kenny back at Anfield.
      YNWA.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #8: Apr 18, 2009 08:09:42 am
      This is surreal. This club loves him and he loves the club, it would be great to see him back doing work for us.
      Hope H&G approve it.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #9: Apr 18, 2009 08:42:39 am
      Kenny Dalglish would be amazing back at LFC.

I think there has been an incredible "feel" about the club since Sammy Lee came back.

Reports say, that Sammy re injected a lot of history and tradition around the club both at Melwood and Anfield.

More importantly into the players heads turbo-ing the Istanbul spirit.

It was already there. This is Liverpool Fooball Club.

Sammy just topped it up.

Now King Kenny?

Think what K.D. will do around the place

Formidable.

Is It Christmas ?

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Apr 18, 2009 09:20:03 am
      Interesting move, seems like Rafa is trying to bring back a lot of the Liverpool players of the past. Good thing to have people who can share their experience and teach the players from lesson they learn during their playing days.
      And it is good that RAFA is bringing very good Liverpool players from our past.Both Kenny Dalglish and Sammy Lee know what success is about and what it means to the club and its supporters.Good on you RAFA.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #11: Apr 18, 2009 09:26:17 am
      Lets hope this comes off,get the old bootroom roots back in order.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #12: Apr 18, 2009 09:44:56 am
      Bloody fantastic news I really hope this happens it'll be a great benefit to the club!
      johnolly
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts |
      Reply #13: Apr 18, 2009 09:49:33 am
      I am really impressed that this has come from Rafa, most managers would feel threatened with an ex manager and club legend coming back to the club. Rafa is a genius, he has come into his own this season, i am not going to lie i have had dobts in the past when i see some of the substitutions he has made but this season he has brought back Sammy Lee, Paco and now King Kenny. Add to this he has signed a new contract and squared away our major players contracts(except Agger). He has got rid of Parry who arguably has been hindrence. There is a change of power coming in English football, can you feel it?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #14: Apr 18, 2009 10:25:57 am
      The only time I can recall when LFC has had two managers on the payroll was with Evans and Houllier but that was more of a forced  coalition, the proposed appointment of King Kenny is a masterstroke. It shows that Rafa has confidence in his own judgement and he is putting the clubs benefit before anything else.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #15: Apr 18, 2009 10:41:46 am
      Amazing news.

Can't really say any more.

harrysared
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts | -1 
      Reply #16: Apr 18, 2009 11:03:22 am
      And it paves the way for a seamless transition in the event of Rafa being hit by a bus.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #17: Apr 18, 2009 11:36:19 am
      And it paves the way for a seamless transition in the event of Rafa being hit by a bus.

What?
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #18: Apr 18, 2009 11:36:50 am
      Absolutly fantastic news. A true legend returns, Surely Gillett and Hicks will agree to this
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #19: Apr 18, 2009 11:48:14 am
      I was going to post on this thread, but then I realised I must be in bed dreaming, so I'll come back when I wake up to see if it's still here ;)
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #20: Apr 18, 2009 12:03:37 pm
      Fantastic news get back ASAP Kenny!

Where once we saw the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
      We had Daglish on the board
      We had him making an impact
      Now its glory round the fields of Anfield Road!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #21: Apr 18, 2009 12:21:26 pm
      I'll believe it when I see it.

Hopefully though. That'll be another massive event in what's been an already good season!
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #22: Apr 18, 2009 12:40:18 pm
      I'll believe it when I see it.

Hopefully though. That'll be another massive event in what's been an already good season!
        Same here, it's to good to be true .

Quick Reply