Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Legends v All Stars (Anfield 14th May 2009)

Read 14530 times
      phillio67
      • Justice For The 96
      • Forum Neil Ruddock
      • Started Topic

• 157 posts |
      LFC Legends v All Stars (Anfield 14th May 2009)
      Apr 27, 2009 06:10:20 pm
      I don't know if this has already been posted or  not ? but here goes....

Kenny Dalglish to stage Anfield game in memory of Hillsborough victims

LIVERPOOL legend Kenny Dalglish is to take the lead in staging a charity match at Anfield next month to mark the 20th anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster.

The game – involving legends from the Reds' illustrious past and an all-star celebrity team – will be played on the night of Thursday, May 14.

It is being staged by Dalglish and Liverpool FC in aid of the Marina Dalglish appeal, raising funds for a new radiotherapy unit at University Hospital, Aintree, while also remembering the Hillsborough 96.

The plan announced today includes a permanent memorial to the Leppings Lane victims at the Fazakerley hospital.

The Hillsborough Family Support Group has supported Marina Dalglish’s charity for the past few years, raising money through golf days with the support of her husband.

Details of the line ups will be announced at a press conference at Anfield next week. Tickets go on sale from Tuesday, April 28.

Dalglish, who is wanted back at Anfield by Reds boss Rafa Benitez as the ECHO revealed last week, said today: "This is a match we have been talking about staging for a while and it's brilliant we can now confirm it."

"The players who will be involved are all really keen to come together again and play for the fans who offered such support through the time of the Hillsborough disaster. I am sure it will be a great occasion with all of the money going towards the building of a badly-needed Radiotherapy facility on this side of the water."

Marina, who launched her charity after being diagnosed and treated for breast cancer, said: "We are looking to raise money for the Radiotherapy Unit.

“But we are also looking at different ideas for the setting up a memorial for the Hillsborough families somewhere in the hospital.

"The Hillsborough Family Support Group has been really helpful to us over the years.

“So it's nice for us to be able to stage this game in memory of those who lost their lives 20 years ago."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2009/04/23/kenny-dalglish-to-stage-anfield-game-in-memory-of-hillsborough-victims-100252-23454598/
      « Last Edit: May 13, 2009 02:06:03 pm by JD »
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: Kenny Dalglish to stage Anfield game in memory of Hillsborough victims
      Reply #1: Apr 27, 2009 06:17:48 pm
      Dalglish - the word "legend" is too small for this man.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #2: Apr 27, 2009 06:19:13 pm
      Brilliant, last time i went to one of these types of matches it was a phil neal memorial.

Well thought out kenny
      Barolo
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 91 posts |
      Reply #3: Apr 27, 2009 11:29:26 pm
      Brilliant idea! Well done Kenny!
      arkles lad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,986 posts |
      Reply #4: Apr 28, 2009 04:38:31 am
      Should be a good night.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #5: Apr 28, 2009 10:06:25 am
      HILLSBOROUGH MEMORIAL GAME TICKET SALE

Andrea Shaw 28 April 2009

Tickets for the Hillsborough Memorial Game in aid of the Marina Dalglish Appeal (Thursday, May 14) are now on sale.
      Tickets are available from today (Tuesday, April 28) from the Ticket Office window, by postal application, online from our online sales page or on the credit card booking line, telephone number 0844 844 0844 (Overseas (0044) 870 220 2151).

Please Note: only adult tickets will be available to purchase online.

Postal applications should include the correct remittance and a stamped addressed envelope. Postal applications should be received by Thursday, May 7, 2009.

LFC Ticket Office
      PO Box 204
      Liverpool
      L69 4PQ

Will be a good night, entertaining and raising funds at the same time.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #6: Apr 28, 2009 10:13:20 am
      What will the teams be?  Anyone know?

Just bought my tickets
      MsGerrard
      Reply #7: Apr 28, 2009 10:18:12 am
      What will the teams be?  Anyone know?

Just bought my tickets

From the first post......

Details of the line ups will be announced at a press conference at Anfield next week.

Guess we might have to wait till next week then nnilswerdna.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #8: Apr 28, 2009 11:05:51 am
      Fantastic idea by Kenny.

I hope we fill the stadium and raise as much money  as possibile. 
      jack
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 298 posts |
      Reply #9: Apr 28, 2009 11:39:10 am
      Just got my tickets well done kenny.
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #10: Apr 30, 2009 09:34:28 am
      Just got my tickets, will be a proud man to be in the stadium that night

Justice 96
      MsGerrard
      Reply #11: Apr 30, 2009 04:16:02 pm
      CARRA TO TAKE FIRST MANAGERIAL STEPS

James Carroll at Anfield 30 April 2009

Kenny Dalglish today revealed how Jamie Carragher will take his first steps into management at the Hillsborough memorial match next month.
      Legends from the illustrious history of the club will take on an All Stars team at Anfield on May 14 to help raise funds for the Marina Dalglish Appeal's bid to build a new Radiotherapy Unit at University Hospital in Aintree.

Carragher will take up a coaching role with the All Stars side, alongside Phil Thompson and Ricky Tomlinson, while Dalglish will be accompanied by two fellow Anfield greats in taking charge of the Legends.

"I'll be in charge of one team and there will be a former 'international manager' in charge of the other," Dalglish told a press conference at Anfield.

"Alongside myself will be Roy Evans and hopefully Ronnie Moran. On the other bench will be Phil Thompson and Jamie Carragher, who will be given an introduction to a managerial career.

"A former England international manager will be in charge of their team in the shape of Mike Bassett (Ricky Tomlinson), who has assured me he will play 4-4-2."

Dalglish confirmed some of the star names fans can expect to see take to the hallowed turf on May 14.

"There are a lot of players coming from various places," said the legendary number seven.

"We've got some of the older lads from 1989. Not just the Liverpool lads, but also Everton and Nottingham Forest players as well. I don't think they'll last too long though, so we've got some younger lads to come in behind them and also some celebrities have agreed to take part.

"We've got John Aldridge, Ian Rush, Peter Beardsley, Ronnie Whelan, Gary Gillespie, Jan Molby, Gary Ablett and Steve Staunton for the older players.

"The likes of Robbie Fowler, Jamie Redknapp, Steve McManaman, Gary McAllister and Don Hutchison are going to play too. They'll hopefully be more energetic and replace the older lads.

"We're also going to have Paul Harrison in goal, who lost his Dad and uncle at Hillsborough. Paul was a professional at Liverpool a few years ago and it means a lot to him to be involved."

"It's not been difficult to get the players to play," continued Dalglish. "They've all been really accommodating. They know all about Marina's charity and what we hope to achieve.

"Maybe I've pushed the boat out a little bit and abused the privileges of our friendships by asking them to attend things, but they know it's for a very good cause.

kenny42"It's a real opportunity for them to put their boots on once again and enjoy themselves.

"We've got a good number of players and also a fair few people who are supporting us financially so it's great for the city."

Former Liverpool defender Alan Hansen admits he is looking forward to the event, but isn't exactly relishing the prospect of putting on his boots once again.

'Jockey' said: "I'm certainly not looking forward to playing!

"I think the last time I played was the rematch of the 86 Cup final and I lasted about 22 minutes - I'm not going to beat that.

"It'll probably be only two minutes this time, but I am looking forward to meeting up with all of the guys again.

"The 20th anniversary of Hillsborough was very poignant and the way it was covered in the press was superb.

"You have to sit back and admire what Kenny and Marina have done. The hard work they've put in is just unbelievable.

"It's going to be a great night for everyone - the charity, the fans and hopefully the families."

Doctor Lee Martin, a surgeon from Fazakerley hospital, believes the funds raised will help build a 'world class' facility on Merseyside.

He said: "Marina has been intricately involved in cancer research on Merseyside. The chemotherapy unit has been open for two years now and she's helped make a big difference to so many people.

"Without their input, this type of thing would never happen on this side of the water. It will revolutionise cancer treatment in the Merseyside area.

"We're grateful not only for the money, but also Kenny and Marina's personal contribution.

"This will be a world class facility for a world class city."

Sounds like it could be a good night  ;D

Great to see 'God' back as well

And all for such a good cause as well.
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #12: May 01, 2009 04:12:24 pm
      cant wait for it...will be proudly singing in the KOP
      JamesNWA
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      • LFC For Life
      Reply #13: May 02, 2009 08:37:35 pm
      A great idea from Kenny :) Will be a good game to see.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #14: May 07, 2009 10:44:49 pm
      CALZAGHE SET FOR ANFIELD BOW

James Carroll 06 May 2009

Kenny Dalglish today hailed the growing list of confirmed participants for the Hillsborough Memorial game as it was revealed Joe Calzaghe will swap boxing gloves for football boots at Anfield later this month.
      The former boxing world champion will be joined by the likes of Paul Gascoigne, singer Craig David, Westlife's Nicky Byrne and Blue Peter presenter Gethin Jones in taking to the hallowed turf in front of the Kop on Thursday May 14.

Reds legend Robbie Fowler is also due to fly in from Australia, where he is currently playing for A-League side North Queensland, for a run out.

"The support from everyone for this game has been truly amazing and I must thank every one of the lads for agreeing to come along and play," said Dalglish.

"I've never seen Joe Calzaghe play football before but he is one of boxing's all time greats with a magnificent unbeaten record - and anyway someone said he should add a fair bit of punch up front!

"Robbie is flying in from Australia and Gazza will be there too."

The Hillsborough Memorial game is in aid of Marina Dalglish appeal, which hopes to raise funds for the building of a new Radiotherapy Unit at University Hospital in Aintree.

Legends from Liverpool's illustrious history, managed by Dalglish, will take on a team of All Stars, coached by Ricky Tomlinson, Phil Thompson and Jamie Carragher.

"Everyone has been magnificent since being approached and the intention is to put on a real good game for the fans to come along and really enjoy," added Dalglish.

"I think people understand that the money we are raising from this game will help provide a wonderful, world class facility with state of the art medical equipment here in Liverpool.

"Right now an awful lot of people have to travel very long distances to Clatterbridge for radiotherapy treatment and it can be a long and difficult journey for a lot of people.

"Hopefully the people of Merseyside, who have been brilliant and so generous down the years, will come along and show their magnificent support yet again.

"There'll be a real family feel to the occasion and a few laughs no doubt - but rest assured everyone will take the game seriously.

"Certainly the celebs like Nicky, Craig, Johnny Wlkes and Gethin Jones, who won Strictly Come dancing, can all play a fair bit."

Other confirmed former Liverpool players joining Dalglish and Fowler on show include John Aldridge, Ian Rush, Peter Beardsley, Ronnie Whelan, Gary Gillespie, Jan Molby, Gary Ablett , Steve Staunton, Jamie Redknapp, Steve McManaman, Gary McAllister and Don Hutchison.

Former Nottingham Forest players Nigel Clough and Des Walker, who played for the City Ground club on the day of the Hillsborough disaster, are set to figure while ex-Evertonian's Dave Watson, Alan Stubbs, Trevor Steven and Graham Stuart are scheduled to take part.

Can't wait to see this game, should be a cracking night, hope Gazza's got his tissues with him  :laugh:

Will be interesting to see how Joe Calzaghe  plays football as well.

Can't wait to see Robbie again with his Aussie tan  :laugh:

I think a massive  :clap: to all the players/ ex players/ celebrities who are giving up their time for this wonderful cause.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,269 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #15: May 08, 2009 01:51:47 am
      For anyone who can not go, I think this game is on ITV 4.
      jack
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 298 posts |
      Reply #16: May 08, 2009 07:51:30 am
      I can't wait for this.
      arkles lad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,986 posts |
      Reply #17: May 08, 2009 03:31:58 pm
      Yeh it is on ITV4,gutted i can't make it,should be a cracking night.YNWA
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #18: May 11, 2009 11:09:00 pm
      Yeh it is on ITV4,gutted I can't make it,should be a cracking night.YNWA

Cheers for that! I can't make it either. At least I'll be able to watch it though. Can see it being quite an entertaining game!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #19: May 12, 2009 11:32:35 pm
      Craaaiiiig David!

I'll be there...really looking forward to it looking at some of the legendary (if fatter) names that will be on show!

Is it not even sold out yet? Hmmmmpppphhhhhh!!!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: LFC Legends v All Stars (Anfield 14th May 2009)
      Reply #20: May 13, 2009 02:07:11 pm
      Not too sure if I can get there or not tomorrow. But if I can, anybody know whether you can pay on the gate or not?
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #21: May 13, 2009 02:49:05 pm
      Heard about the possibility of Shearer joining in too...
      Shearer joins Anfield memorial game
      Alan Shearer is the latest confirmed star to confirm his involvement in the Hillsborough Memorial game played at Anfield tomorrow night.

Shearer will play for the All Stars against Kenny Dalglish’s Liverpool Legends side to raise money for the Marina Dalglish Appeal which is raising funds for a new radiotherapy centre in Liverpool.

Shearer said:

“I’m really looking forward to the game and am delighted to help such a brilliant cause.

“Having spent time in Merseyside during my spell at Blackburn Rovers, I know how important Hillsborough is to the people there.”
      MsGerrard
      Reply #22: May 13, 2009 05:28:25 pm
      HILLSBOROUGH MEMORIAL GAME TICKET SALE

Andrea Shaw 12 May 2009

The Liverpool FC ticket office would like to make the following announcement regarding the online sale for the Hillsborough Memorial Game in aid of the Marina Dalglish Appeal (Thursday, May 14).
      The Ticket Office will be stopping websales for the Hillsborough game at 3pm today in order for them to ensure all the tickets are posted first class tonight.

Tickets can still be purchased by phone and in person, and also on the turnstiles on the night of the match.

Not too sure if I can get there or not tomorrow. But if I can, anybody know whether you can pay on the gate or not?

Yes you can JD.............I hope to see you tomorrow night   :ernaehrung004:

Quick Reply