Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Carra Takes First Steps Towards Management...

Read 4774 times
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Carra Takes First Steps Towards Management...
      Apr 30, 2009 03:44:33 pm
      From www.liverpoolfc.tv

Kenny Dalglish today revealed how Jamie Carragher will take his first steps into management at the Hillsborough memorial match next month. 
      Legends from the illustrious history of the club will take on an All Stars team at Anfield on May 14 to help raise funds for the Marina Dalglish Appeal's bid to build a new Radiotherapy Unit at University Hospital in Aintree.

Carragher will take up a coaching role with the All Stars side, alongside Phil Thompson and Ricky Tomlinson, while Dalglish will be accompanied by two fellow Anfield greats in taking charge of the Legends.

"I'll be in charge of one team and there will be a former 'international manager' in charge of the other," Dalglish told a press conference at Anfield.

"Alongside myself will be Roy Evans and hopefully Ronnie Moran. On the other bench will be Phil Thompson and Jamie Carragher, who will be given an introduction to a managerial career.

"A former England international manager will be in charge of their team in the shape of Mike Bassett (Ricky Tomlinson), who has assured me he will play 4-4-2."

Dalglish confirmed some of the star names fans can expect to see take to the hallowed turf on May 14.

"There are a lot of players coming from various places," said the legendary number seven.

"We've got some of the older lads from 1989. Not just the Liverpool lads, but also Everton and Nottingham Forest players as well, but I don't think they'll last too long, so we've got some younger lads to come in behind them and also some celebrities have agreed to take part.

"We've got John Aldridge, Ian Rush, Peter Beardsley, Ronnie Whelan, Gary Gillespie, Jan Molby, Gary Ablett, Steve Staunton for the older lads.

"The likes of Robbie Fowler, Jamie Redknapp, Steve McManaman, Gary McAllister and Don Hutchison are going to play too. They'll hopefully be more energetic and replace the older players.

"We're also going to have Paul Harrison in goal, who lost his Dad and uncle at Hillsborough. Paul was a professional at Liverpool a few years ago and it means a lot to him to be involved."

"It's not been difficult to get the players to play," continued Dalglish. "They've all been really accommodating. They know all about Marina's charity and what we hope to achieve.

"Maybe I've pushed the boat out a little bit and abused the privileges of our friendships by asking them to attend things, but they know it's for a very good cause.

"It's a real opportunity for them to put their boots on once again and enjoy themselves.

"We've got a good number of players and also a fair few people who are supporting us financially so it's great for the city."

Former Liverpool defender Alan Hansen admits he is looking forward to the event, but isn't exactly relishing the prospect of putting on his boots once again.

'Jockey' said: "I'm certainly not looking forward to playing!

"I think the last time I played was the rematch of the 86 Cup final and I lasted about 22 minutes - I'm not going to beat that.

"It'll probably be only two minutes this time, but I am looking forward to meeting up with all of the guys again.

"The 20th anniversary of Hillsborough was very poignant and the way it was covered in the press was superb.

"You have to sit back and admire what Kenny and Marina have done. The hard work they've put in is just unbelievable.

"It's going to be a great night for everyone - the charity, the fans and hopefully the families."

Doctor Lee Martin, a surgeon from Fazakerley hospital, believes the funds raised will help build a 'world class' facility on Merseyside.

He said: "Marina has been intractably involved in cancer research on Merseyside. The chemotherapy unit has been open for two years now and she's helped make a big difference to so many people.

"Without their input, this type of thing would never happen on this side of the water. It will revolutionise cancer treatment in the Merseyside area.

"We're grateful not only for the money, but also Kenny and Marina's personal contribution.

"This will be a world class facility for a world class city." 

redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Re: Carra Takes First Steps Towards Management...
      Reply #1: Apr 30, 2009 03:56:57 pm
      Great to hear Carra is getting into management. Me personally thinks he's gonna do a good job considering his no nonsense approach and passion for the game.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #2: Apr 30, 2009 04:00:22 pm
      Fantastic to hear this and the bit that really makes me smile is Ronnie Moran being back at Anfield. Absoloute legend for this club and what a sight it'll be to see Kenny, Roy Evans and Ronnie back on the bench.

Wonder which bench gets the home bench? :laugh:

Ricky Tomlinson :lmao: can't imagine him as a coach somehow.
      Paul 08
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts | -4 
      • Justice for the 96 reds
      Reply #3: Apr 30, 2009 04:03:09 pm
      I would love carra as a future liverpool boss and stevie g as his assistant
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #4: Apr 30, 2009 04:14:50 pm
      Carra is gonna bring back title 25-50.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #5: Apr 30, 2009 08:21:46 pm
      As someone who lives, eats and breathes football, I'm not surprised Carra is moving in this direction.

I think he'll make a superb Manager one day.
      john jones
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #6: Apr 30, 2009 08:38:46 pm
      Carra is the manager of the future I hope he will be given a role at Anfield
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #7: Apr 30, 2009 08:43:45 pm
      He would make a great coach or manager.

I really want to see him helping our future team, he just has so many things to share and his experiences could really help youngsters.

Nice to see him take his first step towards achieving that.
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #8: Apr 30, 2009 09:00:23 pm
      Sounds like an exciting line up and match. Sure carra will do a fab job, he will be a great manager one day!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #9: Apr 30, 2009 09:10:44 pm
      the bit that really makes me smile is Ronnie Moran being back at Anfield. Absoloute legend for this club and what a sight it'll be to see Kenny, Roy Evans and Ronnie back on the bench.

Couldn't agree more!!! That was a regular sight for me growing up and it gives me shivers to think of seeing those men together in the 'dugout' at Anfield again.
      Garett
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts |
      Reply #10: Apr 30, 2009 09:52:31 pm
      If anyone can show some clips of the match, be great.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #11: Apr 30, 2009 10:33:15 pm
      What a wonderful cause ! full credit to Marina Dalglish and all associated with this , and seeing that commitment from the 'older' greats and the bench staff of Kenny,Roy Evans ,Ronnie Moran just goes to show that TRULY great players from a great club are there to be counted on when needed  YNWA
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #12: Apr 30, 2009 11:52:39 pm
      Couldn't agree more!!! That was a regular sight for me growing up and it gives me shivers to think of seeing those men together in the 'dugout' at Anfield again.

I didn't get to see Kenny as manager but I get the shivers just thinking about Roy and Ronnie as they where me first real backroom staff along with Sammy, Doug Livermore, Joe Corrigan and Mark Leatherhead. Along with Big Ron Yeats as chief scout. So to see Roy and Ronnie back at Anfield will be a fantastic sight for me.
      JamesNWA
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      • LFC For Life
      Reply #13: May 02, 2009 09:11:15 pm
      He would be great as Liverpool manager. He would bring us a lot of glory in the league :)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #14: May 03, 2009 12:12:32 pm
      Jamie, Kenny, Sammy and Rafa... just imagine it.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #15: May 03, 2009 12:21:28 pm
      Will Ricky Tomlinson be playing? ;)
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #16: May 03, 2009 12:38:20 pm
      Jamie, Kenny, Sammy and Rafa... just imagine it.

And Big Sami.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #17: May 03, 2009 12:49:47 pm

Little Sammy and Big Sami, what a double-act that would be! :D
      King of the Kop
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #18: May 03, 2009 03:49:48 pm
      Jamie Carragher will do a great job, Fly the LFC flag lad. LFC 4EVA YNWA
      RedLFCBlood
      Phil Thompson kop star will be top boss
      Reply #19: Jul 06, 2009 10:28:12 am
      Thommo kop star will be top boss

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164950090706-0852.htm

Kop great Phil Thompson has backed fellow Scouser Jamie Carragher to one day become a top-class manager.

The experiences of Paul Ince at Blackburn and Tony Adams at Portsmouth last season proved how tough it can be for world-class footballers to make the transition into management.

Such examples have done nothing to deter Carragher from eventually becoming a manager, with Liverpool's No.23 currently taking his coaching badges.

Having worked with the defender between 1998 and 2004 as assistant to Gerard Houllier, Thompson believes he has many of the necessary attributes to succeed in the dugout.

"I would think he definitely has what it takes to be a manager one day," the 55-year-old told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"He's got passion, enthusiasm and organisational skills. He loves his football and that's the biggest thing you need in order to carry on after playing. He has a real desire and love for the game in abundance.

"He's also a student of the game. When Gerard and I were here, and I'm sure Rafa has noticed this too, it was clear that Jamie watches everything football-wise. He'll watch Football First on a Saturday night and analyse other teams. He wants the knowledge and he wants to understand the game.

"And he's learned from the likes of Gerard and Rafa how all the fine details need to be spot on."

Despite his confidence in Carragher, Thompson admits it is impossible to know for certain whether a top player will turn into a great manager.

"You can have all the enthusiasm you want, but you also need a cool head to make decisions," he added.

"You might say, 'How can Phil Thompson talk about cool heads?' But we will only see if Jamie's got that once he becomes a manager."

Carragher made his managerial debut in May when he sat alongside Thompson and Ricky Tomlinson during the Hillsborough Memorial Game.

Thompson added: "I looked at him at the beginning and said, 'It's not easy down here.' One of the things he pointed out was how difficult it was to judge a game from the dugout."
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #20: Jul 06, 2009 03:52:25 pm
      I've a feeling once Carra hangs his boots up he'll go onto coach our youth side. And build his way up to the top job, rather than go straight into the first team coaching or even another club.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #21: Jul 06, 2009 03:54:20 pm
      I've a feeling once Carra hangs his boots up he'll go onto coach our youth side. And build his way up to the top job, rather than go straight into the first team coaching or even another club.

Agree. Think he's here for life.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #22: Jul 06, 2009 04:11:35 pm
      It's going to be step-by-step for Carra in management. And I'm sure he will get to the very top of football management one day.

Carra lives and breathes football, it isn't easy to find a lad who'll die for it, maybe besides Shanks, of course. Football, as one may argue, is just a game but this guy has it in him. It's his passion. When Carra shouted into Arbeloa's face that day, I saw that commitment in him to set things right. Let's be honest, I do not think he is that great a player, he is more of a hard worker, but sometimes what he does doesn't look good on the eye and gets odd mistakes here and there. He isn't the most elegant defender around, yes, isn't the most skilful.

But what makes him to be one of the best defenders in the world? It's his passion and commitment. When he steps onto the pitch he knows he's got a job to fulfil and he does it 110%. Sometimes he gets so worked up over small matters and seeks to constantly improve himself, and also influencing the others around him.

The reason why we have such a great defensive record is Carragher. He is one who makes sure that everyone does his job on the pitch, he is the one who will run his ass off to save the goal.

This passion and commitment of his links to Liverpool. He isn't going to do that well a managerial job elsewhere other than Anfield, because he loves the club. He isn't going to play as well at other club besides Liverpool. For me Carra has the attributes to be a top manager and for him to do that he's got to be managing at Liverpool. He only has his heart set on Liverpool, and he will not sleep for 7 days to prepare the lads for the game.

But will he go to that extent if he was at another club? Certainly not..

Quick Reply