Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Laptops

Read 8062 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Laptops
      Reply #23: Apr 04, 2009 04:32:41 pm
      Question for the technos out there.

I have a Gateway Laptop
      Intel Celeron M 1.50GHz
      448 Mb RAM
      Now I suspect this is not the best, (came free from the mother in law), but I keep running out of Virtual Memory, and the thing sometimes is so slow. If I add more RAM will this improve things and buy how much. PS I'm not interested in changing the CPU unless it is incredibly cheap and easy.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #24: Apr 04, 2009 07:03:42 pm
      Question for the technos out there.

I have a Gateway Laptop
      Intel Celeron M 1.50GHz
      448 Mb RAM
      Now I suspect this is not the best, (came free from the mother in law), but I keep running out of Virtual Memory, and the thing sometimes is so slow. If I add more RAM will this improve things and buy how much. PS I'm not interested in changing the CPU unless it is incredibly cheap and easy.
      Honestly dude, their is really not much you can do to speed it up. First the Celeron Processor is SLOW!!!!.  The Celeron M is 4-5 generations removed from the top Processor. Plus you might not be able to increase the RAM by much.  I am assuming it has only 512 mb. If thats the case It may be using the old memory and the machine may not allow anything over 512. You cant change the processor in that Laptop... Even if you could it would cost more than it was worth.

If your going to use it as a word processor, file management and very basic web you may be allright. However, It would be best to get something better.  You can get a a laptop with 1gb memory , Intel Core Duo, and DVD for under $400.00 US. I spent $650.00 US on mine and its a monster. Runs everything fast and clean.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      Reply #25: Apr 05, 2009 10:18:11 am
      Honestly dude, their is really not much you can do to speed it up. First the Celeron Processor is SLOW!!!!.  The Celeron M is 4-5 generations removed from the top Processor. Plus you might not be able to increase the RAM by much.  I am assuming it has only 512 mb. If thats the case It may be using the old memory and the machine may not allow anything over 512. You cant change the processor in that Laptop... Even if you could it would cost more than it was worth.

If your going to use it as a word processor, file management and very basic web you may be allright. However, It would be best to get something better.  You can get a a laptop with 1gb memory , Intel Core Duo, and DVD for under $400.00 US. I spent $650.00 US on mine and its a monster. Runs everything fast and clean.

Cheers for that, just have to lump it, but as it was free.... will have to get on with t.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,681 posts | 6976 
      Reply #26: Apr 23, 2009 10:48:04 am
      Had a Toshiba laptop - been borrowing a Macbook for a while now but desparately want a Macbook pro but my £1500 money tree hasn't started growing in my garden yet. :(
      CupidStunt
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | -3 
      Reply #27: Apr 24, 2009 04:12:38 pm
      Get your macbooks, the latest trend.  Be careful though. it's not windows, but does the same job with less crashing.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      Reply #28: May 23, 2009 03:20:59 pm
      Slightly off topic, how do you clean a keyboard, I've got some dirt under the I and it's driving me crazy.

Sorted, used the Dyson! Clean as a whistle.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #29: May 24, 2009 12:48:32 am
      I've got a toshiba equium A100. Had it for 2 and a half years, it's absolutely knackered. The CD drive wont show in "my computer" but shows up every now and then, the fan is broke so it overheats all the time which makes everthing lag. And today the speakers have stopped working and the output sound is gone altogether. Looks like pretty much the end of the line for it. It's why i haven't been posting much in the last few days.

I'd really love a Macbook pro but i can't see that happening any time soon. There's a Sony Vaio in Costco (Sony Vaio NS20ES) it's got 3 GB RAM, 250 GB HD, 2.16 GhZ, core dual processer, integrated cam. £450 with a 3 year warranty. That looks like a sound purchase to me.
      I'll get a macbook pro one day :)
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #30: May 24, 2009 03:04:29 pm
      Just completed some successful surgery on my laptop ;D

Out of the 3 things that were broken i fixed 2 ;D

I took all the screws out, took the cover off and then had a bit of a mess round with the CD drive. Took it out, put it back in and clicked it into place, it now works 100% again.
      The fan had stopped working which was making the whole computer heat up and run really slow and lag all the time. I dusted it off, spun it round a few times and now it works again ;D

Didn't know how the fix the sound so that's still broken but i'll look into fixing that too. Might not need a new laptop after all :)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      Reply #31: May 24, 2009 03:47:58 pm
      Just completed some successful surgery on my laptop ;D

Out of the 3 things that were broken I fixed 2 ;D

I took all the screws out, took the cover off and then had a bit of a mess round with the CD drive. Took it out, put it back in and clicked it into place, it now works 100% again.
      The fan had stopped working which was making the whole computer heat up and run really slow and lag all the time. I dusted it off, spun it round a few times and now it works again ;D

Didn't know how the fix the sound so that's still broken but I'll look into fixing that too. Might not need a new laptop after all :)

The sound is switched on I guess, if it is does the ear phone socket work? if not check your preferences. When I installed a turntable's software it really screwed up my sound! have a tweek, you never know.
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      • 100% LFC, without doubt!
      Reply #32: May 24, 2009 04:01:36 pm
      I got mine as a gift! its been two years and never had any complaint  8)
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #33: May 24, 2009 07:33:39 pm
      The sound is switched on I guess, if it is does the ear phone socket work? if not check your preferences. When I installed a turntable's software it really screwed up my sound! have a tweek, you never know.
      Earphone sound dosen't work either. When i check audio devices in control panel it says:
      No audio devices. I'll keep resarching on the internet for an answer and fiddling with the settings.
      The other problem i forgot to mention was tht system restore no longer works. I select the date and click next, but when it says click next to confirm, nothing happens. I've tried all the internet suggestions and i think it's a virus. I've ran my AntiMalwareBytes a few times to try and clean the system up but it keeps finding new "infected objects" with each scan so i'll keep doing it until it has a scan with no infected objects.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      Reply #34: May 24, 2009 09:47:22 pm
      Earphone sound dosen't work either. When I check audio devices in control panel it says:
      No audio devices. I'll keep resarching on the internet for an answer and fiddling with the settings.
      The other problem I forgot to mention was tht system restore no longer works. I select the date and click next, but when it says click next to confirm, nothing happens. I've tried all the internet suggestions and I think it's a virus. I've ran my AntiMalwareBytes a few times to try and clean the system up but it keeps finding new "infected objects" with each scan so I'll keep doing it until it has a scan with no infected objects.

You could try PC World, they have a service to check PC's. May be cheaper than a new Laptop.

I had a similar problem where all my USB ports disapeared. Turned out it was some fool who helped me install my MP3 player software, (Call centre), Ended up using the recovery disc. Had to back up tons of stuff, but at the end of it got a "brand new PC" them recovery/reinstall discs really do work. Oh USB ports were back at the end of it too.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #35: May 24, 2009 11:36:13 pm
      You could try PC World, they have a service to check PC's. May be cheaper than a new Laptop.

I had a similar problem where all my USB ports disapeared. Turned out it was some fool who helped me install my MP3 player software, (Call centre), Ended up using the recovery disc. Had to back up tons of stuff, but at the end of it got a "brand new PC" them recovery/reinstall discs really do work. Oh USB ports were back at the end of it too.

I've been thinking about using the recovery disc now that i've fixed the CD drive but i need to back up all the files first. I was going to buy an external hard drive anyway - Western Digital My Passport 320GB External Hard drive. £65 from Amazon (when they get it back in stock). Really smart piece of kit.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #36: May 25, 2009 07:49:26 am
      I have a custom built Alienware  :)

That must have set you back a bit! Alienware is $$$
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,681 posts | 6976 
      Reply #37: May 26, 2009 07:35:00 am
      The fabled Macbook Pro will probably always be elusiive to me.  The £1500 price tag just too much out my league at the moment.

I know I can get a similar spec PC for half the price but it's just Windows.  I know I keep banging on about it but once you've used the Mac operating system for a bit you really struggle to go back to Windows.  Apple have probably got me under their spell now - and its going to be expensive.

I'll probably just have to get myself the basic macbook - unless anyone has about £800 they fancy throwing at me?
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #38: Jun 01, 2009 11:49:20 am
      I have always used Vaio's.  I download alot of movies and use to travel alot so they were perfect.

The company i work for now all use Apple Laptops and i'll be getting mine soon.

Be like learning how to read again!

Quick Reply