Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

The Title Race Climax

Read 4543 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      The Title Race Climax
      May 03, 2009 07:11:19 pm
      We are currently 3 points behind the Mancs and although they have a game in hand we are still very close to getting number 19.

Our Remaining Fixtures:

Saturday 9th May - West Ham Away

Sunday 17th May - West Brom Away

Sunday 24th May - Spurs Home

From now until the 9th we have 6 days, 9th - 17th we have 8 days and 17th - 24th we have 7 days. Basically one game a week and 24 days inbetween them in total.

Mancs Remaining Fixtures: (Including Europe)

Tuesday 5th May - Arsenal Away (Europe)

Sunday 10th May - Man City Home

Wednesday 13th May - Wigan Away

Saturday 16th May - Arsenal Home

Sunday 24th May - Hull Away

2 days until their next game, 5th - 10th they have 5 days, 10th - 13th they have 3 days, 13th - 16th they have 3 days, 16th - 24th they have 8 days. A total of 21 days and in that time they have to play 5 games.

The part I see is the key I have put in bold.

All united need to secure the title is 2 wins and a draw so we have to pray that the 2 hardest teams they have to face, Man City and Arsenal can do us a favour. I am confident that Arsenal can beat United in the league and I am also confident that City could at least snatch a draw. Although these two games have been highlighted as their toughest I think Wigan also have the ability to prevent United from getting 3 points, after all they have done well against the top teams and they only lost to a 1st minute Rooney goal the last time they played and that was at OT.

We have more time to rest and have less chance of having a player sent off or picking up an injury but I do fear that final game against Spurs because knowing our luck we will need a win or a draw and we will lose to a late goal by Robbie Keane. Rafa needs to keep the players in the mind set they are in because then we wont lose, we are steam rolling over everyone we play at the moment and are putting real pressure on United.

What pisses me off is that if Macheda hadn't come on then they would have 2 less wins, if the ref hadn't gave the penalty against Spurs they would have gone without another win and yesterday Boro should have had a penalty but never got it so they have been very lucky as of late so surely that luck is about to run out.

I'm still holding onto my thought of; 'This would be our 19th year since our last title and we are looking for our 19th title so surely its fate to win the 19th title in the 19th year'.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Re: The Title Race Climax
      Reply #1: May 03, 2009 07:14:07 pm
      It's tricky for us, too.  West Ham can cause us problems and so can Spurs.  West Brom we'll brush aside with ease.

The Mancs have City and Arsenal to play, I pray to god that they can punish them, all we need is them to lose twice to them. It's unlikely, and we need a massive favour from City.

Hope Robinho puts 3 past them at least. Can't see Utd scoring too many.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: May 03, 2009 07:18:25 pm
      I wish Sven was still in charge of City, wouldn't put it past Hughes to tell his players to let United win seeing as he once played for them. Sven was mutual and done the double over United!
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #3: May 03, 2009 07:20:08 pm
      7-KK-7, We can still win the title btw if they win one and draw three and we win all. Also if they win one, draw two and lose one - That'd make the table like this:

1) Liverpool - 86
      2) Man Utd - 86

1) Liverpool - 86
      2) Man Utd  - 85

Of course providing our GD would be better for the firsr.

I can see United losing to Hull, drawing to City and Arsenal, beating Wigan and us winning the rest of our games. I have a strong feeling that the title will be decided on the last day, i can see Hull beating them and us winning Spurs. Hull also staying up at the expense of Boro/Newcastle (Whoever wins next week)

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #4: May 03, 2009 08:04:55 pm
      There's a lot of permutations to consider, it's not over by a long shot. I'm just so made up that we are, where we are, and am still convinced we will go on to win it. With a couple of decent buys in the summer, I see a long period of dominance in the coming seasons as well.  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #5: May 03, 2009 08:33:34 pm
      the next four weeks for me are crucial I can see this period being pivotal for both us and the scum ,the beginning of the end for the Scum and the Renaissance of this country's  most successful football team !
      dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Reply #6: May 03, 2009 08:35:49 pm
      There's a lot of permutations to consider, it's not over by a long shot. I'm just so made up that we are, where we are, and am still convinced we will go on to win it. With a couple of decent buys in the summer, I see a long period of dominance in the coming seasons as well.  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      The Crazy thing is,most of the totally fecking stupid,moronic,know nothing about their history 19 yr old Scum fans I work with can`t see that being 3 points ahead with a game hand also means meeting Man City and Arsenal while we have superior goal difference.It can all go pear shaped for them very quickly.
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #7: May 03, 2009 08:52:31 pm
      Agree totally with all said, like everyone has said continually it is theirs to lose and all their remaining league games can cause them plenty of problems, especially arsenal and city. Even hull and wigan away can cause problems. I can see it going right down to the last day and by that stage my nerves will be shot! But even if we don't win, the fact that we were in with a chance and the players showed they were capable of it makes me happy and gives hope for the next years!
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #8: May 03, 2009 09:03:41 pm
      I feel we will win it on GD... but what ever happens I am proud of our boys, manager, staff, the whole football club... This has been a huge season for us not just on but off the field too. Alot of positive to take futher.
      I was dissapointed today slighly as we should have scored more to make our GD stronger... Big game on Saturday, we win and we go top... Citeh will make United sweat next Sunday.

We are LFC, we do things the hard way.

Believe YNWA
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #9: May 03, 2009 09:06:04 pm
      the next four weeks for me are crucial I can see this period being pivotal for both us and the scum ,the beginning of the end for the Scum and the Renaissance of this country's  most successful football team !

Really?
      You mean the final four weeks of the season are crucial?  :o
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #10: May 03, 2009 09:17:21 pm
      It seems very unlikely, but just the one slip up from United and it will all see very much possible again.
      john jones
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #11: May 03, 2009 09:20:37 pm
      Any thing is possible so why should we worry. We are Liverpool the greatest team ever so
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #12: May 03, 2009 09:30:50 pm
      ^Handbags away ladies^ ;)

Good post 7K-K7

If we win our remaining games which i'm confident we will, Man U need 7 points from a possible 12 to win it. 6 points or less and it's ours.

Here's what i see happening

Man U vs Man City

City to snatch a 2-1 win with Robinho getting the winner.

Liverpool beat West Ham away to move top on GD having played one extra game

Wigan vs Man U (The game in hand)

Man U to scrap out a 1-0 and move 3 points ahead of us on equal games

Man U vs Arsenal

Arsenal to win 1-0

Liverpool to easily beat west brom 3 or 4-0 at the hawthornes We go into the last day ahead on GD

Hull vs Man U

Man U to win by whatever scoreline because Newcastle and Boro are so sh*t, they'll already be relegated and there will be no pressure on Hull to win and stay up  :f_tongueincheek:

Liverpool to have a tough game but fight to a win against Spurs with Keane doing F**k all in the process, giving us the title on the final day at Anfield :)

And my final league table:

Pts         GD
      1. Liverpool FC   86          48
      2. Man U           86          42

How much money yer reckon I'd get on that? ;)

Come on you redmen
      BELIEVE
      YNWA
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #13: May 03, 2009 09:33:50 pm
      I so hope that happens Ally mate. There's quite a few combinations though, like you never know United could draw 3 of the last 4 games for example. It's definately going to be interesting but we need to make sure we keep getting the three points and just hope in the process that the scum drop some to hand us the trophy.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #14: May 03, 2009 09:36:44 pm
      I so hope that happens Ally mate. There's quite a few combinations though, like you never know United could draw 3 of the last 4 games for example. It's definately going to be interesting but we need to make sure we keep getting the three points and just hope in the process that the scum drop some to hand us the trophy.
      Yeah.
      The worst thing i could imagine would be them dropping 6 points or more.... and us not taking enough points to win :o
      But I'm confident that won't happen :)
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #15: May 03, 2009 10:03:36 pm
      I can see this going to the last day as others have said, they seem to be riding their luck at present, but this could change at this time of year with so many issues at other clubs. The pressure is on them not us and I haven't lost confidence yet.Keep the faith Redmen.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #16: May 03, 2009 10:18:19 pm
      Unless United drop some point soon (next 2 games) I don't think its very likely.
      StevieJesus
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 316 posts |
      • Liverpool Fc - One name. One legend
      Reply #17: May 03, 2009 10:19:12 pm
      I feel we will win it on GD... but what ever happens I am proud of our boys, manager, staff, the whole football club... This has been a huge season for us not just on but off the field too. Alot of positive to take futher.
      I was dissapointed today slighly as we should have scored more to make our GD stronger... Big game on Saturday, we win and we go top... Citeh will make United sweat next Sunday.

We are LFC, we do things the hard way.

Believe YNWA
      Couldn't of put it better myself.
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #18: May 04, 2009 12:13:13 am
      im still sticking with my original thinking

arsenal will beat them and hull will beat them to secure prem survival
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,881 posts | 6815 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #19: May 04, 2009 02:46:32 am
      ^Handbags away ladies^ ;)

Good post 7K-K7

If we win our remaining games which I'm confident we will, Man U need 7 points from a possible 12 to win it. 6 points or less and it's ours.

Here's what I see happening

Man U vs Man City

City to snatch a 2-1 win with Robinho getting the winner.

Liverpool beat West Ham away to move top on GD having played one extra game

Wigan vs Man U (The game in hand)

Man U to scrap out a 1-0 and move 3 points ahead of us on equal games

Man U vs Arsenal

Arsenal to win 1-0

Liverpool to easily beat west brom 3 or 4-0 at the hawthornes We go into the last day ahead on GD

Hull vs Man U

Man U to win by whatever scoreline because Newcastle and Boro are so sh*t, they'll already be relegated and there will be no pressure on Hull to win and stay up  :f_tongueincheek:

Liverpool to have a tough game but fight to a win against Spurs with Keane doing f**k all in the process, giving us the title on the final day at Anfield :)

And my final league table:

Pts         GD
      1. Liverpool FC   86          48
      2. Man U           86          42

How much money yer reckon I'd get on that? ;)

Come on you redmen
      BELIEVE
      YNWA

Ally, if this pans out and we win the Title on the last day of the season on GD, I think I'll be the one climaxing  ;D
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #20: May 04, 2009 03:51:54 am
      We need to win all our games and MU has to draw twice and lose once at least so that we can win by one point!
      Roland G
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #21: May 04, 2009 05:52:58 am
      The run is wn't be easy. Westham will provide a stern test away and they always seem to give us a run. We need to do the business and hope for the best. I don't think that it's over by a long shot. All the fixtures are going to be tricky and nobody is going to lie down and hand you the points on a plate.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #22: May 04, 2009 09:20:22 am
      The run is wn't be easy. Westham will provide a stern test away and they always seem to give us a run. We need to do the business and hope for the best. I don't think that it's over by a long shot. All the fixtures are going to be tricky and nobody is going to lie down and hand you the points on a plate.
      Agreed, unless Howard Webbs in charge against Tottenham!!I still think though somethings going to happen, I know games are running out but im not giving up on this until its mathematically impossible. Ive been watching liverpool for too long to consider doing anything else, if someone can do us a superfavour we could yet see utd wobble. Footballs a funny old game at times, keep the faith redmen and if its not to be then were in top shape for next time.

Quick Reply