Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

A Foreign player policy?

Read 2743 times
      Good old JC
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 289 posts | -1 
      A Foreign player policy?
      Jan 15, 2007 04:51:53 pm
      I heard about this... and I think it is a good idea.... brings some good english players through

ok then here it goes...

I think that every english team should only be allowed to put 5 or 4 foreign players on the pitch at once... this is the english game... but all we have is foreigners aka arsenal

it would bring some good english players through and I dont class british players aka welsh, scottish or irish foreign... what you think?
      « Last Edit: Jan 16, 2007 12:03:58 am by koolkidda »
      homestrip
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      • If you wanna keep it, you win it 5 times!!
      Re: a foreign player polecy??
      Reply #1: Jan 15, 2007 05:05:19 pm
      I have to say that I'm on the fence with this one. Yes we need to be vigilent about what Chelsea and Arenal are doing to the game but lets think about it.

If we can only play 4-5 foreign players per game, then the average English players aka  Hargreaves, Carrick etc will triple in value.

I also think that while the Rafamation is going on, he is also bringing in British players with one eye on this policy going ahead.

Crouch, Gerrard, Bellamy, Pennant, Carra and Finnan if you include Irish are normally in starting 11.

I'm still on fence with this one, the talent abroad is massive in comparison to at home.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: a foreign player polecy??
      Reply #2: Jan 15, 2007 11:54:21 pm
      Nah the Prem would be just as boring as the Scottish league... no offence to our british players but this isn't the answer.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Re: A Foreign player policy?
      Reply #3: Jan 16, 2007 12:07:55 am
      Interesting.

So Liverpool against Watford:

Liverpool: Reina, Agger, Hyypia, Carragher, Finnan, Alonso, Gerrard, Aurelio, Crouch (Pennant 69), Bellamy (Fowler 84), Kuyt (Riise 77).

Subs Not Used: Dudek, Guthrie.

I make that 5 British players in our starting 11.  Two of them being substituted and replaced by British players. I would hardly think Liverpool are the worst offenders in the regard of buying overseas players.  We spent big on the likes of Bellamy and Pennant (for all the good its done us).  English players are overpriced but what I am against is going out and then spending the same ridiculous values on overseas players.

If we had that English keeper Carson in, then we would have our 6 British in the first team.
      banksiemagic
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #4: Jan 16, 2007 08:53:59 am
      wasn't there a similar rule a few years back? what happened to that?
      KopQueen
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 526 posts |
      Reply #5: Jan 16, 2007 11:30:02 am
      I have to agree with Court LFC, as I don't think we have good English Players - I mean world class players.  The world cup & Euro 2004 indicated this, BUT what I would liek to see more players from the lower leagues get a chance in the Prem, as some do very well.  The foreign players add spice to our league.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #6: Jan 16, 2007 11:32:11 am
      I think it should be implemented this would encourage clubs to invest in the youth of this country more than grabbing a quick fix from abroad. There was a rule at one point in the champions league or European Cup as it was known, that you were only allowed so many foreign players in the playing team or squad at any one time dunno what happend to that either, but personally I think that for the sake of national football in this country we should start to implement something along these lines as soon as possible. With so many foreign players coming into the premier league now the wholesale sell off of our national game is almost upon us, with not just foreign players but foreign owners coming to the fold to make money out of us the British fans, money to take back to their own country and leave us squandering.

For some this may be a nationalist view, but I think in order to save the game for the people of this country something needs to be done now, teams like Arsenal who have one prominant English player in Theo Walcott, need to be taken to account, albeit they have this fantastic youth policy it is a youth policy of young foreign players and does no good what so ever to the youth of this country. With a policy like Arsenails in place what chance does the great talent of this country stand of getting to play in our national league pretty slim to none, and it seems over a number of years now the river that was English football talent has become a trickle.

I remember when English clubs ruled Europe us Villa and Notts wankers all won the European Cup and all this was mostly with British players, not one foreigner in site. This is because all the clubs had was the talent drawn from local or regional scouting and then a pretty good youth policy to bring the young players through on a continuous stream of footballing talent enabling the clubs in this country to win major European honors.

I think the argument that the less foreign players we have would hurt the EPL is wrong, it would be just as exciting and fast paced, and I think the youth of this country should be given more chance to play for clubs like Liverpool. I'm not totally against foreign players or foreign investment, I think there is a place for it but it needs to be curtailed and controlled so that the native youth of this country have as good a chance to succeed in the national game as well as foreign youngsters, at this moment in time this is not the case and our native youth are in a second place position when it comes to playing for a large majority of the bigger clubs and this is a fact.
      « Last Edit: Jan 16, 2007 11:34:47 am by pragmatic »
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #7: Jan 16, 2007 01:09:02 pm
      I think there are arguments to be made for both sides, whilst I agree something must be done to encourage home grown players through to the first team, surely the question is why haven’t they managed it already? Maybe they just aren’t good enough.
      Rafa only recently criticized the whole English academy set up and this was after our own youth team had won the cup!
      Why don’t the players who do so well at youth level improve enough to move into the manager’s plans? Rafa for instance would rather stick with Paletta at centre back than try Jack Hobbs who is good enough to captain the reserves on occasion.
      Most of the teams who do well at youth level are only producing one player capable of making the first team and going on to have a good career. How many teammates can you remember from Michael Owen’s youth cup winning year? Arsenals kids against us where all foreign except for a couple of English lads on the bench Arsenals best English player was bought in himself.
      Why are no more Welsh, Irish and Scots lads coming through? Its not because there leagues are full of foreigners its because the UK academy system from the bottom up is stagnant and not forward thinking have a look at this extract from January 2002 when the FA finally cottoned on that the French system might be working.

Unsurprisingly, other footballing nations are now aping the French system—including the country that invented the game. The English Football Association plans to open its own national football academy next year. "The French have this talent factory, and they are obviously doing something right," says F.A. spokesman Andrin Cooper. "Our strategy is to take the best of other countries and add a bit of our own."

So if the FA where only putting this in place in 2003 I think we might have a while to wait yet.
      So until then I suggest we scout, buy, train and play the best player we can whether he’s from Garston or Guatemala.
      homestrip
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      • If you wanna keep it, you win it 5 times!!
      Reply #8: Jan 16, 2007 10:12:41 pm
      I think it should be implemented this would encourage clubs to invest in the youth of this country more than grabbing a quick fix from abroad. There was a rule at one point in the champions league or European Cup as it was known, that you were only allowed so many foreign players in the playing team or squad at any one time dunno what happend to that either, but personally I think that for the sake of national football in this country we should start to implement something along these lines as soon as possible. With so many foreign players coming into the premier league now the wholesale sell off of our national game is almost upon us, with not just foreign players but foreign owners coming to the fold to make money out of us the British fans, money to take back to their own country and leave us squandering.

For some this may be a nationalist view, but I think in order to save the game for the people of this country something needs to be done now, teams like Arsenal who have one prominant English player in Theo Walcott, need to be taken to account, albeit they have this fantastic youth policy it is a youth policy of young foreign players and does no good what so ever to the youth of this country. With a policy like Arsenails in place what chance does the great talent of this country stand of getting to play in our national league pretty slim to none, and it seems over a number of years now the river that was English football talent has become a trickle.

I remember when English clubs ruled Europe us Villa and Notts wankers all won the European Cup and all this was mostly with British players, not one foreigner in site. This is because all the clubs had was the talent drawn from local or regional scouting and then a pretty good youth policy to bring the young players through on a continuous stream of footballing talent enabling the clubs in this country to win major European honors.

I think the argument that the less foreign players we have would hurt the EPL is wrong, it would be just as exciting and fast paced, and I think the youth of this country should be given more chance to play for clubs like Liverpool. I'm not totally against foreign players or foreign investment, I think there is a place for it but it needs to be curtailed and controlled so that the native youth of this country have as good a chance to succeed in the national game as well as foreign youngsters, at this moment in time this is not the case and our native youth are in a second place position when it comes to playing for a large majority of the bigger clubs and this is a fact.

I take your point on that theory for English football prag and I know we don't care about other countries as such but if we think about it closely it would have serious downfalls for our game.

The likes of Drogba, eboue, toure, kalou are the only 4 good players from Ivory coast, (That I can think of). If restrictions on those guys coming to England or any other decent football country, they do not develop their talents. Drogba was a flop till he joined a biggish club in Marseille.

Eboue, Toure, Kalou were unheard of and still would be if this restriction was to be put in place. Your philosophy is excellent for large countries, but why would Shevcenko want to play domestic league in Ukraine, or Ronaldo in Brazil, Essien in Ghana or Samuel Eto'o in Cameroon.

These players are only what they are because they were allowed abroad to explore their talents and develop them further in a larger footballing country and they have a stronger footballing national team bacause of this. If homegrown talent is kept at home (or at least most of) it will never develop in smaller countries.

I think there should be a restriction of sorts (Arsenal) but I certainly think we need a positive mix not to hinder the global game.

Just to think that, (in my view), the best striker in the world comes from Cameroon!!! Why would he, as a youngster, persue a career in football for domestic Cameroonian league!! If I'm not mistaken, the only other household name in Cameroon is Djemba-Djemba (Dear God how crap is he). But Cameroon compete on the international stage quite competitively bacause their talent is allowed to play abroad where football is bigger and it gives them more opportunities.

Now after all that I'm going off to save the world, cure aids, feed the hungry, and make rich the poor. Feel like the good samaritan today. :D :D :D :D :D
      molby86
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts |
      • Best left foot ever.........
      Reply #9: Jan 16, 2007 10:31:14 pm
      My point here is that any such policy would be very difficult to implement with players holding European Union passports. Under the freedom of labour legislation we are one common economic area in Europe and denying somebody the opportunity to work in this country because of their nationality would be very difficult to enforce.
      Kernow-Kop
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 80 posts |
      Reply #10: Jan 17, 2007 10:45:32 pm
      it is a good point to bring up, as its not just the youngsters suffering, but english players all round.
      for as long as i can remember, if your english and a half descent player, your price tag doubles!
      so can you blame clubs looking abroad for players for half the price.
      i mean just look recently with the likes of rooney, ferdinand, s.w.p, walcott, HESKEY, all english and all over priced.
      how can smaller clubs compete with price tags like that for english players, so for an easy and financal solution, they look abroad.
      dont get me wrong, i think having foreign players in our leagues has put some zing into it, but something has to change, to give english players AND clubs a better chance.
      The biggest problem of all is that football isnt a sport anymore, but a business.
      gerrard8
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts |
      Reply #11: Feb 11, 2007 08:41:09 pm
      bring a young player up from the academy for all we know he could be the next robbbie fowler
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #12: Feb 11, 2007 08:44:11 pm
      bring a young player up from the academy for all we know he could be the next robbbie fowler

We did yesterday, isnt Gutherie an Academy Kid ?   ;D
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #13: Feb 12, 2007 10:09:08 am
      We did yesterday, isnt Gutherie an Academy Kid ?   ;D

I think you might also be seeing more of Adam Hammill in the future who is currently on loan at Dunfermline and is very highly thought of.
      « Last Edit: Feb 12, 2007 10:13:44 am by Glenbuck »
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #14: Feb 12, 2007 01:32:37 pm
      I think that every english team should only be allowed to put 5 or 4 foreign players on the pitch at once... this is the english game... but all we have is foreigners aka arsenal

it would bring some good english players through and I dont class british players aka welsh, scottish or irish foreign... what you think?

I agree 100%. Mum said there used to be a rule like this.. But I don't remember!! Hehe.

I wouldn't class English, Scottish or Irish 'foreign' either, then it just goes mad. Being a Cardiff City fan, if we couldn't have any players other than Welsh ones, it would be awful, we'd be all the way down in the conference probably!!
      chilledoutentertainer
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #15: Mar 11, 2007 06:03:07 pm
      It is a load of rubbish that England aren't producing top talent.

Rooney, Lennon, Richards, Walcott, Carson, Baines etc etc

The talent is still coming through.  If the English players are good enough they will break through the system and this is happening.  The foriegn players are enhancing the domestic and National games for England not hindering it.

Di Canio was a massive influence on J. Cole, Carrick, Lampard, Ferdinand, Johnson and Defoe at West Ham.

Cantona had a simialr impact at United with Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Neville etc.

It is a myth that England aren't producing young talent. 
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16: Mar 12, 2007 09:57:45 pm
      Or Wales.. Bellamy, Ledley, Bale, Savage, Speed, Giggs.. :P Hehe sorry had to get it in guys!!

I hope this rule comes back sometime.

Quick Reply