Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Scottish want terracing at SPL grounds.

Read 971 times
      redtiptoe
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp
      • Started Topic

• 317 posts |
      Scottish want terracing at SPL grounds.
      May 06, 2009 10:37:07 am
      From todays Daily record.

Football fans call for return to standing areas at SPL grounds
      May 5 2009
      FOOTBALL fans will today call for a return to standing areas at top-flight Scottish clubs.
      Dunfermline supporters have gathered 2314 signatures on a Holyrood petition urging football authorities to revisit the rules on SPL grounds.

The Fife club is in the First Division of the Scottish Football League but fans want to see standing areas allowed if they win promotion.

Stephen Taylor, of the Pars Supporters Trust, is expected to appear before MSPs on the Public Petitions Committee.

Outlining the case for standing areas in March, he said: "To many of our top clubs have crippled themselves financially building shiny new stands that are never filled.
      "That is a complete financial nonsense."

The petition, which closed on April 27, calls for the re-introduction of "safe standing areas" to give professional clubs a choice of seated or standing sections.

Im not sure about this at all think this is a massive mistake we have come along way. I know some people feel the atmosphere has gone out of modern stadiums, but me personally feels its the supporters who make the atmosphere regardless of standing or sitting.

I believe what we have introduced in the kop is the way forward where you have the fans who do want to sing there hearts out all game put together its clear its been a success.

Lets not take a step back.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: Scottish want terracing at SPL grounds.
      Reply #1: May 06, 2009 07:12:19 pm
      Rugby grounds and Football stadium outside the top division aren't all seater.

I know some people say there is no such thing as safe standing, but there's a world of difference from shoving people in to tightly packed pens fenced in like animals and what I would call safe standing.  People stand in the Kop on Champions League nights and I wouldn't say I felt remotely unsafe.
      arkles lad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,986 posts |
      Reply #2: May 06, 2009 10:06:06 pm
      You can't beat standing,we seem to be able to get away with it when we go away,as do the away fans when they visit Anfield,as they seem to do all over europe!And yes it is safe providing it's POLICED properly in the first place.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #3: May 06, 2009 10:46:19 pm
      Standing is always going to be better. But no fences or anything blocking people getting out if needed.
      RedDrog
      • Forum John Toshack

• 264 posts |
      Reply #4: May 06, 2009 11:32:18 pm
      Fully agree with the call to bring terracing back. If it is done properly it is just as safe. They have no problem providing safe terracing in other league around the world, Germany to name one.
      SmithyBoy
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #5: May 06, 2009 11:47:57 pm
      [quote author=RedDrog
      Fully agree with the call to bring terracing back. If it is done properly it is just as safe. They have no problem providing safe terracing in other league around the world, Germany to name one.

RedDrog you are spot on, in Dortmund they have an area which is converted into a standing section and generates a fantastic atmosphere. Not sure how the systems works i.e. capacity number and other issues but safety is integral if such area`s are to be used.

Attending games recently at Celtic Park the atmosphere compared too when the terracing was around has declined sadly ( Champions League games are different), people complain about others singing and standing up thus affecting the atmosphere generated.

Such area`s would allow those who wish to stand and sing without having to upset those who's choose not too may be answer to the lack of atmosphere.

Again whoever the safety aspect should be priority.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #6: May 07, 2009 12:00:31 am
      Russia STILL build stadiums with terraces.

However, they have rests every 5 steps.

So if a crush does develop you only have 4 lines of people on you as opposed to 20

I would welcome standing back but i cant see it happening.

Quick Reply