Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

West Ham v Liverpool - Prematch

Read 15246 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,220 posts | 3393 
      West Ham v Liverpool - Prematch
      May 06, 2009 04:37:58 pm
      Xabi Doubt For Hammers Trip

Xabi Alonso is a doubt for Saturday's trip to West Ham - though both Javier Mascherano and Fernando Torres should be fit.

Alonso left the field on a stretcher last weekend following a high challenge from Newcastle's Joey Barton.

The Spaniard was followed into the treatment room by Mascherano, who was substituted with a twisted ankle.

"Xabi is the main doubt for the weekend," Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv. "He has been working and hopefully he will be better in a few days. He is improving but we have to wait.

"We'll have to check him for the weekend because it is more serious than Mascherano's injury."

Fernando Torres is in line for a return at Upton Park after missing Sunday's 3-0 win with a hamstring problem.

"He is training with the physios and maybe tomorrow he will start training with the rest of the team," added Benitez. "I think he will make the weekend."

Meanwhile, Torres is likely to travel with Spain to the Confederations Cup in South Africa next month, but Benitez is hopeful his star striker will have plenty of recuperation time during the summer.

He said: "We have to work together with the fitness coaches and also the doctors of Spain during the summer and hopefully it will be okay for him."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164277090506-1148.htm
      « Last Edit: May 08, 2009 01:21:18 pm by JD »
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Re: Liverpool v West Ham - Prematch
      Reply #1: May 06, 2009 04:42:03 pm
      Bit of a blow to have Xabi out, but hopefully he'll make a speedy recovery and he can always rest against West Brom if needs must.

Toughest fixture left in my view.
      KidBlink56
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #2: May 06, 2009 04:44:09 pm
      Bummer about Xabi, I expect we'll do alright though. It'll be good to see Torres back out there especially with Gerrard. I think we'll get all 3 points.
      KidBlink56
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #3: May 06, 2009 04:45:25 pm
      Bit of a blow to have Xabi out, but hopefully he'll make a speedy recovery and he can always rest against West Brom if needs must.

Toughest fixture left in my view.

Nah, Tottenham is, We'll get past West Ham.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #4: May 06, 2009 04:47:36 pm
      Gutted about Xabi. It Must be so devastating for him to be injured at such a crucial stage in the season. Hope he's back soon.

Going to be a tough match, not expecting a big scoreline but we will win.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #5: May 06, 2009 04:49:13 pm

Nah, Tottenham is, We'll get past West Ham.

God to agree to disagree there.

In my view this is a pretty tricky game, Zola seems to have got a good West Ham team together and going to Upton Park is always tricky.

We'll win but it will be a hard fought win in my view.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #6: May 06, 2009 04:50:50 pm
      His face last weekend showed that he's really disappointed he got that injury. Gutted that one of our best performers have to sit out thanks to Joey Barton.

Still, no reason to not win although Upton Park is a difficult place.
      samylfc
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 392 posts |
      Reply #7: May 06, 2009 04:55:58 pm
      Sahme about Xabi, especially under the circumstances he got injured! but let's not even mention the name of the thug who did that to Xabi.

As long as he recover for the other remaining fixtures i'll be happy, we proved that we can perform even with key players out, and I have no doubt that we will prove it again. The game against west ham will be tricky, a 1-0 victory would do lovely, at least we can expect them to go for it and give us space in their back four, and with Torres back we could be on for a treat..
      catflap13
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #8: May 06, 2009 05:02:17 pm
      No surprise about Xabi but we have enough form players to win this, especially with Stevie and Nando back
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,379 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #9: May 06, 2009 05:02:37 pm
      This is a huge game. No argument.

Win go top with the manc derby on Sunday to put pressure on utd. Draw or lose and thats that. Geting butterflies writing that and that proves how massive it is on Saturday evening.

If Xabi aint 100 per cent dont play him, drop Stevie back to midfield with Yossi off Nando. West Ham arent a bad side but we have them in every area of the pitch for quality and Im sure our lads hunger and desire will see us get the 3 points
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #10: May 06, 2009 05:09:24 pm
      Very much looking forward to this match.

Obviously I look forward to watching all our games, but as the season is drawing to a close, the pressure mounts and we're still in with an outside chance of nicking the the title, I can't help but savour the anticipation of each game.

As Brian has said, clearly the win is crucial, though I don't think the margin of victory is important. To have a chance of winning the league we need United to draw a few or lose a couple, either of which will obviously leave us well ahead on GD if we keep winning.

Just need the players to keep calm, play the way they know best, and stick the F***ing ball in the net whenever we can! :D
      pool4life
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #11: May 06, 2009 05:11:24 pm
      Here's a Stat for you, heard it on MOTD. Last 3-0 victory against N. castle made it the first time since 1979 we have scored 3 goals in 5 straight games. We are going places, we all expect that poor game to come but i don't think it will happen, this is a totally different liverpool than anybody 30 or younger knows. For example we had a poor game against Hull but guess what 3-1 will do. The only struggles we have had was a few defensive lapses against chelsea and Arsenal. I think we win this game 2-0 or 3-1.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,379 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #12: May 06, 2009 05:12:46 pm

Just need the players to keep calm, play the way they know best

Ayrton you dont know how right you are. That is vital

Damn this thread im buzzing like the game was in an hour
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #13: May 06, 2009 05:17:16 pm
      Ayrton you dont know how right you are. That is vital

We've seen them trying to force things from the whistle in the past and it doesn't really work. The passes are forced and often go astray, then frustration can settle in and panic, even when there's loads of time left on the clock.

I hope Xabi will be fit, because there's no-one better in the current side at putting his foot on the ball and picking out the right pass. I don't mean this in a bad way, but if Liverpool were an engine, Xabi would be the grease that keeps everything running smoothly.

When he's in the side he sweeps the ball from right to left, and back again if needs be. He can misplace a pass like anyone else, but he rarely makes the wrong choice of pass, if you follow me.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #14: May 06, 2009 05:22:09 pm
      I trust Lucas to play there with Mash so I do, even though it's not his position he has been very solid as of late and I think he'll do a fine job. The other option is of course, Aurelio playing there as he done really well before...Plessis may even step in
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #15: May 06, 2009 05:22:10 pm
                      Reina
      Arbeloa Carragher Agger Insua
      Kuyt Gerrard Mascherano Riera
                   Benayoun
                     Torres

thedagger
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts |
      Reply #16: May 06, 2009 06:10:32 pm
      This squad´s very good but i think that Nando wont´ be able to play, maybe Xabi too. I suppose that Babel´ll play because he hasn´t played fot long time from 1st minute.
      northennutta
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts | -2 
      Reply #17: May 06, 2009 06:20:12 pm
      gutted for Alonso, would like to see a 4-4-2 with masch and Gerrard in the middle, riera left Benny right and kuyt and torres both up front. with the ability for the wingers to cut in and the forwards to go wide.

not that Lucas has been playing that bad recently would just prefer to have Benny in than Lucas.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #18: May 06, 2009 06:39:43 pm
      We need to score BIG in this match, 3, 4 nill.  The mancs are 3 behind at present but they can catch that up in one match.

Im praying Manure can slip up
      Babel-Torres-Gerrard
      • Forum David Johnson

• 230 posts |
      Reply #19: May 06, 2009 06:42:20 pm
      I reckon our line-up should be:

Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Aurelio, Mascherano, Benayoun, Riera, Gerrard, Torres, Kuyt.

a 4-1-3-2 as shown below:

------------------------Reina------------------------

-----Arbeloa-----Carragher-----Agger-----Aurelio-----

---------------------Mascherano--------------------

---Benayoun----------Gerrard----------Alberto Riera---

-------------------Torres-----Kuyt-------------------
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #20: May 06, 2009 06:47:25 pm
      Shame about Xabi but I'm confident lucas can come in and do a good job. This wont be as easy as the newcastle game (so I wont be predicting 12-0 this time :f_tongueincheek:) but If we play like we did last time out we should still win comfortably 2-0 I reckon.
      john jones
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #21: May 06, 2009 07:02:04 pm
      1-3 Liverpools new goal poacher (kuyt)to get 2 and set torres up for the 3rd
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #22: May 06, 2009 08:04:28 pm
      Who needs crossbar bouncing Alonso when we've got 'one chance one goal' Leiva?

Seriously though I expect Alonso to be fit, fit enough for the bench at least.  Hope Mascherano has a good game against his old club. 

In any case, we owe West Ham one.

Quick Reply